ImageImageImageImage

How would you address our PG situation for next year?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

How would you address our PG situation for next year?

Draft one at 16.
2%
Draft one at 46.
12%
Sign help in FA. Who?
22%
Trade for one. Who?
32%
Other
32%

Total votes: 41

Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,450

Re: How would you address our PG situation for next year? 

Post#21 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Augustine will be the starter.

MCW will be too expensive to bring back.

Briscoe will get another shot at a minimum deal.

We sign a combo guard that can share some PG duties, possibly throw McConnell an offer.

We do nothing drastic until we see Fultz.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#22 » by Howard Mass » Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 pm

A lot depends on Markelle Fultz.

There is a lot of unknown there.

Right now, The Magic have DJ Augustine under contract.

Michael Carter-Williams and Isaiah Briscoe are candidates to return and likely can be had for the minimum.

Regardless, The Magic should have three point guards on the roster besides Fultz given his situation.

My guess is one of MCW and Briscoe returns and maybe The Magic sign a veteran to a one or two year contract to help out.

As for The Draft Picks, I favor BPA at #16 although I hope that will be a swingman and as for #46, only if they really like a point guard.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#23 » by drsd » Fri May 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Does this qualify for the "trade for one"?

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#24 » by Skin » Fri May 24, 2019 7:53 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
NotACat wrote:You don't believe that bringing in Fultz is an attempt to solve the problem? Why invest EVEN MORE resources into the PG "problem" (DJ was more than acceptable last year, bench PG play was an issue) when we don't even know what this 21-yo kid can do? He displayed tremendous ability in college and in the pros already, if he can get through this injury, we may already have our solution.

Bringing in Fultz is an attempt, but it can't be counted on. Because of that, there are different ways we can, should or won't address the situation... From the looks of it so far, there are a lot of different thoughts on how we should address it. I started this thread hoping we could navigate as a group to come up with the best solutions.

I definitely could see us doing nothing further like you suggested, but I'm hoping for at least something else new.

You have to roll the dice with Fultz for next season. People don’t have to like to move to get him but the move has already been made.

Decisions are looming on his contract and our hands are tied in terms of alternative strategies barring breaking up BIG.

Lunacy is breaking up BIG now, before we see what Isaac and Bamba can really become or what we bought in Fultz.

I agree. But there must be a way to roll the dice on Fultz without having to bank it all on Fultz? You know what I mean? I think that's what we should be trying to do. My vote was using the 46th pick to nab a PG.

Here's my lingering thought...

Hammond hit gold in Round 2 when he drafted Brogdon. I think there's a chance history could repeat itself if the Magic selected Cody Martin out of Nevada. There are a lot of similarities between the 2.

Both Seniors entering the draft. Both big playmaking guards. Length! Both won DPOY in their conferences. Similar measureables below:

Martin - 6'5.5, 6'10.25 wingspan, 192 lbs, 8' 6.5 reach, 5.00% body fat, 8.25 hand length, 9.00 hand width
Brogdon - 6'5.5, 6'10.5 winspan, 221 lbs, 8' 2'' reach, 5.40% body fat, 9.00 hand length, 10.25 hand width

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/cody-martin-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/malcolm-brogdon-1.html

From nbadraft.net. Sounds a lot like Brogdon.

Strengths: Very versatile player who can play 1-3 positions … Possesses good length with a 6' 10.25' wingspan, and 8' 6.5'' standing reach ... Played a lot of point guard in his two years at Nevada, showing decent playmaking and ball handling skills ... Excellent court vision … An active, disruptive defender … Can defend in the post as well as on ball on the perimeter at a high level ... Able to hit the outside shot both off the dribble or catch and shoot situations … Good slasher and pick and roll player who can finish at the rim with both hands … High IQ player who takes smart shots and finished the 2018-19 season shooting 50 percent from the floor … 35.8 percent 3-point shooter in 2018-19 … Willing to make the extra pass … Capable of running the offense … Can penetrate the lane multiple times a game and convert at the foul line shooting 76 percent his senior year … Exceptional rebounder for his position … Not afraid to take big shots late in games … Turns defense into offense … Strong transition player

I never like doing player comparisons because there are too many differences between people, but this one is close. Brogdon the better shooter, Martin the better passer. If we brought in Cody Martin who is 23 years old, he fits right in line with the age group of our young core. He could grow with them through the next Magic era. Second rounders rarely get a chance to make it, but I feel like in this case, Martin could stick with the team as our 3rd PG since he already possesses an NBA ready body (and knows how to use it), has a high IQ, and is position versatile.

Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#25 » by Skin » Fri May 24, 2019 7:56 pm

drsd wrote:Does this qualify for the "trade for one"?

No. He's already on the roster and his return is in doubt.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#26 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 24, 2019 7:57 pm

Draft or Tyus Jones.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#27 » by Furinkazan » Fri May 24, 2019 9:02 pm

So we are held hostage by Fultz and if he doesn’t play and I can bet my life savings he won’t play at all or he will play at level that won’t satisfy any of us we will be stuck with basically same rotation.No ty I think we shouldn’t put Fultz into equation.If he plays he is a bonus and then you worry.We need to prepare Like he will not play.Id try signing Beverly or Rubio.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#28 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri May 24, 2019 9:20 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:I don't get how people are ok with MCW as a signing.. The dude really didn't help much and I feel like Grant being sooo bad has really clouded people's judgement on how bad MCW really is. Both of these dudes are equally just as bad and should really be out of the league. If anything I think Briscoe deserves more of a shot and would possibly be ok with him signing a 2 year 4M deal w/option for 2nd year.

My brother you obviously did not watch much Orlando Magic basketball. Boxscore doesn’t show everything.

Watched it live... MCW brought energy and was ok defensively. Offensively dude was bad bad. Can find MCW guys in 2nd round every year
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#29 » by MagicFan101 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:Bringing in Fultz is an attempt, but it can't be counted on. Because of that, there are different ways we can, should or won't address the situation... From the looks of it so far, there are a lot of different thoughts on how we should address it. I started this thread hoping we could navigate as a group to come up with the best solutions.

I definitely could see us doing nothing further like you suggested, but I'm hoping for at least something else new.

You have to roll the dice with Fultz for next season. People don’t have to like to move to get him but the move has already been made.

Decisions are looming on his contract and our hands are tied in terms of alternative strategies barring breaking up BIG.

Lunacy is breaking up BIG now, before we see what Isaac and Bamba can really become or what we bought in Fultz.

I agree. But there must be a way to roll the dice on Fultz without having to bank it all on Fultz? You know what I mean? I think that's what we should be trying to do. My vote was using the 46th pick to nab a PG.

Hammond hit gold in Round 2 when he drafted Brogdon. I think there's a chance history could repeat itself if the Magic selected Cody Martin out of Nevada. There are a lot of similarities between the 2.

Both Seniors entering the draft. Both big playmaking guards. Length! Both won DPOY in their conferences. Similar measureables below:

Martin - 6'5.5, 6'10.25 wingspan, 192 lbs, 8' 6.5 reach, 5.00% body fat, 8.25 hand length, 9.00 hand width
Brogdon - 6'5.5, 6'10.5 winspan, 221 lbs, 8' 2'' reach, 5.40% body fat, 9.00 hand length, 10.25 hand width

Strengths: Very versatile player who can play 1-3 positions … Possesses good length with a 6' 10.25' wingspan, and 8' 6.5'' standing reach ... Played a lot of point guard in his two years at Nevada, showing decent playmaking and ball handling skills ... Excellent court vision … An active, disruptive defender … Can defend in the post as well as on ball on the perimeter at a high level ... Able to hit the outside shot both off the dribble or catch and shoot situations … Good slasher and pick and roll player who can finish at the rim with both hands … High IQ player who takes smart shots and finished the 2018-19 season shooting 50 percent from the floor … 35.8 percent 3-point shooter in 2018-19 … Willing to make the extra pass … Capable of running the offense … Can penetrate the lane multiple times a game and convert at the foul line shooting 76 percent his senior year … Exceptional rebounder for his position … Not afraid to take big shots late in games … Turns defense into offense … Strong transition player

I never like doing player comparisons because there are too many differences between people, but this one is close. Brogdon the better shooter, Martin the better passer. If we brought in Cody Martin who is 23 years old, he fits right in line with the age group of our young core. He could grow with them through the next Magic era. Second rounders rarely get a chance to make it, but I feel like in this case, Martin could stick with the team as our 3rd PG since he already possesses an NBA ready body (and knows how to use it), has a high IQ, and is position versatile.

I’m talking about NEXT YEAR ... as the thread asks.

That is not the same thing as “banking it all on Fultz.”
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,530

Post#30 » by Rainwater » Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 pm

Wasn't the whole point of getting Fultz was to fill the PG spot??? I think Fultz starts and DJ gets off the bench. Unless Fultz is unhealthy, I don't see the magic getting another PG just to hinder the growth of Fultz. The whole point of getting Fultz was to give him the opportunity to grow something Philly could not do. If he fails, that is the risk the magic took. With great risk comes great reward.
Skin
RealGM

Post#31 » by Skin » Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Yeah, I think the move to get him is something we all love because the cost was so cheap. But in case he's not ready, or never becomes ready, I think some move that gives us insurance should be a priority.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,530

Post#32 » by Rainwater » Fri May 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Augustine will be the starter.

MCW will be too expensive to bring back.

Briscoe will get another shot at a minimum deal.

We sign a combo guard that can share some PG duties, possibly throw McConnell an offer.

We do nothing drastic until we see Fultz.

I had to laugh at that one, lol. MCW might be playing in China next year. His playing style doesn't match today's NBA.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#33 » by MagicFan101 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:I agree. But there must be a way to roll the dice on Fultz without having to bank it all on Fultz? You know what I mean? I think that's what we should be trying to do. My vote was using the 46th pick to nab a PG.

Yeah, I think the move to get him is something we all love because the cost was so cheap. But in case he's not ready, or never becomes ready, I think some move that gives us insurance should be a priority.

Outside of a decision on Vuc, we have made our bed for next season.

We made the playoffs without Fultz. How much are we really risking? What insurance do we really need? That depends on your expectations for next year. I personally don’t expect a massive improvement from being a 1st round exit team. So that along with anything he contributes being a bonus says we are set.

Understanding the realities of where we stand right now is not the same as being happy about them ...
NSB_Magic
Junior
And1: 172

Post#34 » by NSB_Magic » Sat May 25, 2019 12:39 am

I really see Fultz as a combo guard. Not to veer from the op but I think SG is a bigger need. I would really like to get a solid swing man at 16.

I think our PG will remain the same unless we make some big trade which probably isn’t gonna happen. I would take a stab at scary Terry..if it’s attainable. I hope we bring back Brisco either way.
Skin
RealGM

Post#35 » by Skin » Sat May 25, 2019 12:44 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

We made the playoffs without Fultz. How much are we really risking? What insurance do we really need? That depends on your expectations for next year. I personally don’t expect a massive improvement from being a 1st round exit team. So that along with anything he contributes being a bonus says we are set.

Understanding the realities of where we stand right now is not the same as being happy about them ...

Interesting take. Every year teams change. To say we made it with DJ so we'll make it again is ... I dunno it's whatever... I feel like DJ is backup on most other teams. If Fultz is not ready and never becomes ready, I feel like the Magic should at least do something other than bring back MCW or Birch in order to safeguard ourselves.. or look for an upgrade... or invest in another young prospect at the same time... just in case.

Some people are talking about big names like Conley, Brogdon...some others have thrown out names like Tyus Jones, Rubio, Dragic, Rondo, Beverely, Rozier... some talking about Carsen Edwards, Jalen Lecque... I like Cody Martin...

I think the different options out there make the discussion worth fun digging into. Status quo is fine too. I'd be disappointed, but I have super high hopes for Futlz that are probably borderline insane.
Skin
RealGM

Post#36 » by Skin » Sat May 25, 2019 12:47 am

NSB_Magic wrote:I really see Fultz as a combo guard. Not to veer from the op but I think SG is a bigger need. I would really like to get a solid swing man at 16.

I think our PG will remain the same unless we make some big trade which probably isn’t gonna happen. I would take a stab at scary Terry..if it’s attainable. I hope we bring back Brisco either way.

I like Rozier more than others, but I think bringing him in would be bad for Fultz to have a chance at becoming a starter. But maybe that's all he is... a combo guard that can come off the bench at PG or SG.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#37 » by Patrick1978 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 am

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:Bringing in Fultz is an attempt, but it can't be counted on. Because of that, there are different ways we can, should or won't address the situation... From the looks of it so far, there are a lot of different thoughts on how we should address it. I started this thread hoping we could navigate as a group to come up with the best solutions.

I like this a lot.
He seems like a front office type of player with his length.
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
NSB_Magic
Junior
And1: 172

Post#38 » by NSB_Magic » Sat May 25, 2019 1:17 am

Skin wrote:
NSB_Magic wrote:I really see Fultz as a combo guard. Not to veer from the op but I think SG is a bigger need. I would really like to get a solid swing man at 16.

I like Rozier more than others, but I think bringing him in would be bad for Fultz to have a chance at becoming a starter. But maybe that's all he is... a combo guard that can come off the bench at PG or SG.

That’s what Fultz is right now which is great. No pressure on him. I don’t think Rozier would hurt anything. Especially with DJ in his last year...
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#39 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat May 25, 2019 1:33 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:I don't get how people are ok with MCW as a signing.. The dude really didn't help much and I feel like Grant being sooo bad has really clouded people's judgement on how bad MCW really is. Both of these dudes are equally just as bad and should really be out of the league. If anything I think Briscoe deserves more of a shot and would possibly be ok with him signing a 2 year 4M deal w/option for 2nd year.

Agreed. MCW over Briscoe is madness.

As for me... I'm praying for Fultz to magically heal.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#40 » by MagicFan101 » Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 am

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:Yeah, I think the move to get him is something we all love because the cost was so cheap. But in case he's not ready, or never becomes ready, I think some move that gives us insurance should be a priority.

Interesting take. Every year teams change. To say we made it with DJ so we'll make it again is ... I dunno it's whatever... I feel like DJ is backup on most other teams. If Fultz is not ready and never becomes ready, I feel like the Magic should at least do something other than bring back MCW or Birch in order to safeguard ourselves.. or look for an upgrade... or invest in another young prospect at the same time... just in case.

Some people are talking about big names like Conley, Brogdon...some others have thrown out names like Tyus Jones, Rubio, Dragic, Rondo, Beverely, Rozier... some talking about Carsen Edwards, Jalen Lecque... I like Cody Martin...

I think the different options out there make the discussion worth fun digging into. Status quo is fine too. I'd be disappointed, but I have super high hopes for Futlz that are probably borderline insane.

Did I say we would make it again? ... I don’t think I did.

Return to Orlando Magic