ImageImageImage

Coaching Staff

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Coaching Staff 

Post#1 » by Norseman79 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm

This will be interesting as it sounds like Rosas wants an offensive and defensive assistant coach/coordinator style. Those worrying about offenses and defenses, this is pretty major as it allows Ryan to manage personalities and gameplay while bringing in others to set up style and philosophy.

Thoughts or ideas on who you would like to see brought in? Part of me wonders how much of the coaching interviews was seeing who may be interested in that type of a job, and who would work well with Ryan and management.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: Coaching Staff 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 22, 2019 4:50 pm

It is my understanding that all of last years coaches with the exception of Malik Allen have been terminated.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#3 » by minimus » Wed May 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Norseman79 wrote:This will be interesting as it sounds like Rosas wants an offensive and defensive assistant coach/coordinator style. Those worrying about offenses and defenses, this is pretty major as it allows Ryan to manage personalities and gameplay while bringing in others to set up style and philosophy.

Thoughts or ideas on who you would like to see brought in? Part of me wonders how much of the coaching interviews was seeing who may be interested in that type of a job, and who would work well with Ryan and management.

Anyone who has successfully implemented switching in defense.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by Norseman79 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:26 pm

KGdaBom wrote:It is my understanding that all of last years coaches with the exception of Malik Allen have been terminated.

You are correct. Which is why I think this is actually as big of a deal as the fact that we hired Ryan. Anyone have any ideas who may be brought in or hearing any rumblings?
minimus
RealGM

Post#5 » by minimus » Wed May 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Some interesting candidates.

7. Jamahl Mosley

Mosley is in his fifth season with Dallas, joining the Mavericks after four seasons in Cleveland. Mosley got his start working in player development and advanced scouting and has also been part of Gregg Popovich’s staff with Team USA. Mosley was considered the defensive coach of the Mavericks this past season, which finished tied for twenty-second this season. He also has experience coaching Dallas's summer league team, so he does have experience in player development as well. Cleveland hiring Mosley would be lackluster compared to the remaining candidates, but he would not be terrible.

5. Wes Unseld

Unseld has been considered by many to be on his way towards becoming an NBA head coach for a while now after joining Denver's coaching staff in 2015. Before his time in Denver, Unseld also was an assistant coach with the Washington Wizards and Golden State Warriors. Unself is regarded as the architect of the Nuggets now top-10 defense and is beloved by virtually every player he has coached in that time period. It would also be pretty cool to see Kevin Love, who modeled his outlet passes after Unseld's father, play under him. But, Unseld, like Vanterpool, is outclassed by his colleague in Fernandez and that is why he is so low on this list. Nevertheless, he would be a solid hire for Cleveland.

4. Alex Jensen

Jensen is the second candidate on this list to have a prior connection to the Cavaliers organization. Before joining Utah's coaching staff, Jensen was the head coach of the Cavaliers G-League affiliate the Canton Charge from 2011-13 and was named Coach of the Year in 2013. Known for his defensive principles, attention to detail and player development, Jensen has helped Jazz starRudy Gobert become one of the NBA’s best at the center position. With real experience developing players while with the Charge on top of helping develop the Jazz into a perennial powerhouse, Jensen would be a fantastic hire for Cleveland. Even more so if the Cavaliers were to draft Zion Williamson, who has defensive potential similar to Gobert.

3. Nate Tibbetts

Tibbetts was an assistant with the Cleveland from 2011-2013 before joining Portland's coaching staff. He well-respected around the league and has a background in player development, dating back to his time coaching in the G-League with the Sioux Falls Skyforce and the then-Tulsa 66ers. During his time with Portland, Tibbetts has been credited in being key in the development of both McCollum and his co-star Damian Lillard. If hired by Cleveland, he could work similar magic with Collin Sexton, who is an undersized guard like McCollum, and could really leave his mark if the Cavaliers were to draft a big-bodied playmaker like R.J. Barrett ala Lillard. Cleveland could establish themselves as the Eastern Conference equivalent of Portland if they hired Tibbetts, which is a pretty good place to be.

2. Ime Udoka

Udoka, the second member of San Antonio's coaching staff would be an outstanding hire for Cleveland. The Spurs assistant spoke with Cavaliers executives on Sunday, and his interview left a strong impression. Under Popovich, Udoka has learned everything a traditional tactician needs to know but he also learned how to connect and relate with players, which is key. Udoka also has a ton of experience in terms of player development and has been credited in helping Kawhi Leonard blossom into a top-five player. Former Spurs assistants have always been successfully running a franchise, just look at Mike Budenholzer in Milwaukee, and the same can be said of Udoka, a true Popovich disciple. If Cleveland were to hire him, it could possibly be the beginnings of something special.

1. Jordi Fernandez

While Udoka is special and would be a truly outstanding hire for the Cavaliers, Fernandez is just a tier above him and tailor-made for what Cleveland needs. Fernandez’s first year in Denver was the 2016-2017 season and has been key in their player development. He can be credited with the growth and development of Jamal Murray, Jusuf Nurkic, Nikola Jokic, Gary Harris, Malik Beasley, Monte Morris, Juan Hernangomez, Trey Lyles and Torey Craig. Fernandez also was a part of the Charge from 2013-2016 and played a key part in developing several NBA caliber players.

Fernandez is also one of basketball's sharpest minds out there, literally. He has nearly completed his Ph.D. in sports psychology and his research includes examining how the effectiveness of an offensive play can be determined by the team’s behavioral patterns before a shot goes up. Fernandez has put his research into practice with Denver and this season the Nuggets' offense ranked sixth-overall in offensive rating producing 116.23 per 100 possessions this season. With his penchant for player development and basketball genius, Fernandez would be the best possible hire for the Cavaliers and would set the tone for the future of the franchise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evandammarell/2019/05/06/who-has-the-best-chance-of-coaching-the-cleveland-cavaliers-next-season/#5933221e1a4c
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#6 » by Klomp » Wed May 22, 2019 10:30 pm

I would look at some Rockets and/or Wizards connections. Did Tim Connelly bring anyone to Denver with him?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#7 » by Klomp » Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 pm

In case anyone was wondering.... (I was)

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#8 » by wildvikeswolves » Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 pm

Klomp wrote:In case anyone was wondering.... (I was)

Read on Twitter

Nice! I saw the tweet that he was leaving Memphis yesterday and my first thought was oh god please don’t be what I think it is.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,839

Post#9 » by Domejandro » Sat May 25, 2019 12:14 am

Roy Rogers just agreed to mutually part ways with Houston, and is someone I would expect Minnesota to talk to.

Read on Twitter

Irv Roland is someone else I would be HIGHLY interested in bringing to Minnesota.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#10 » by shangrila » Sat May 25, 2019 12:19 am

Domejandro wrote:Roy Rogers just agreed to mutually part ways with Houston, and is someone I would expect Minnesota to talk to.

Read on Twitter

Irv Roland is someone else I would be HIGHLY interested in bringing to Minnesota.

I don't know anything about any of these guys. Any info you can share?
shangrila
RealGM

Post#11 » by shangrila » Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Read on Twitter

I wasn't and I'm not sure why you were.

Not exactly surprised to see a member of the Canis hive mind asking that question though.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,839

Post#12 » by Domejandro » Sat May 25, 2019 12:32 am

shangrila wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Roy Rogers just agreed to mutually part ways with Houston, and is someone I would expect Minnesota to talk to.

Read on Twitter

I don't know anything about any of these guys. Any info you can share?

Roy Rogers is an ex-player who works primarily on analyzing tape with big-men, he is an excellent person as well. Irv Roland is a well-regarded player development coach who got his start in Boston as a video coordinator; he worked with Chris Paul as a rookie, but has since been a lead trainer working with James Harden.

Both names to keep an eye on, given their Houston connections. I don't really know enough about the other two to comment. Here is an article about the cuts.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/article/Assistant-coach-Roy-Rogers-won-t-return-to-Rockets-13893725.php
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Norseman79 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:20 am

How cool is it to actually be interested in who they are hiring as assistants for a change? I mean it is always something to watch, but based on Rosas comments, they are going to be a huge part of this team. I love the offensive and defensive coordinator type of idea.
wildvikeswolves
Starter

Post#14 » by wildvikeswolves » Sat May 25, 2019 1:35 am

shangrila wrote:

Read on Twitter

Not exactly surprised to see a member of the Canis hive mind asking that question though.

The same day the Ryan got hired as coach, reports came out the Sam Mitchell was leaving Penny Hardaways staff at Memphis
shangrila
RealGM

Post#15 » by shangrila » Sat May 25, 2019 2:04 am

wildvikeswolves wrote:
shangrila wrote:

Read on Twitter

The same day the Ryan got hired as coach, reports came out the Sam Mitchell was leaving Penny Hardaways staff at Memphis

I know but the team has been moving away from the country club for awhile now. Saunders is a notable exception, of course, but that's because of Flip and everything that happened. Smitch? He never had that kind of equity here.

I mean, why would Rosas be interested in hiring Mitchell? Didn't make sense to me for a second.
wildvikeswolves
Starter

Post#16 » by wildvikeswolves » Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 am

shangrila wrote:
wildvikeswolves wrote:
shangrila wrote:I wasn't and I'm not sure why you were.

I know but the team has been moving away from the country club for awhile now. Saunders is a notable exception, of course, but that's because of Flip and everything that happened. Smitch? He never had that kind of equity here.

I mean, why would Rosas be interested in hiring Mitchell? Didn't make sense to me for a second.

I definitely did not want him to be coming back here, but the fact that those things happened right after each other made me think.

Thankfully it was just a coincidence.

Very interested to see who Rosas and Ryan got in mind to fill out the staff.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 am

I think Sam Mitchell would make a very good coach. No big deal.
minimus
RealGM

Post#18 » by minimus » Sat May 25, 2019 5:43 am

Read on Twitter
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#19 » by King Malta » Sat May 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM

Post#20 » by minimus » Sat May 25, 2019 4:58 pm

When we speak about timing I think Rosas did well about HC decision. Now we can pickup assistant coaches who are not re-signed with other teams. By this moment I am satisfied with our dynamics

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves