ImageImageImageImage

How would you address our PG situation for next year?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

How would you address our PG situation for next year?

Draft one at 16.
2%
Draft one at 46.
12%
Sign help in FA. Who?
22%
Trade for one. Who?
32%
Other
32%

Total votes: 41

p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Re: How would you address our PG situation for next year? 

Post#41 » by p0peye » Sat May 25, 2019 7:44 am

We should start next season with rotation of DJ/Fultz/Briscoe. Around trade deadline we need to determine if Fultz is capable of playng any kind of professional basketball or not and go from there.

In unlikely chance he proves himself healthy and worthy of starter position, we stay put.

Otherwise, if we are contending for playoffs (which probably means Vučević and Ross are still here), there should be a trade where we package expirings we have in DJ and Mozgov for someone like Conley or Jrue Holiday.

If unable to find suitable trade partner, next year's draft is projected to be extremely PG heavy at this point.
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#42 » by Instincts » Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 am

The good news there are a lot of PG options this offseason.

I believe PG is still a need, Fultz is not a certainty and also envision this team running smoothest with two ball handlers and play makers at the 1 and 2 positions. I could easily see Fultz at the 2 spot for some amount of time and this team needs a vet PG to structure the offense.

I would start with the options of Derrick Rose, Conley, or Dragic, ideally on two year deals that do not effect the 2021 salary cap space.

D. Rose
Fultz
AG
Issac
Vuch
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#43 » by Xatticus » Sat May 25, 2019 10:00 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:I don't get how people are ok with MCW as a signing.. The dude really didn't help much and I feel like Grant being sooo bad has really clouded people's judgement on how bad MCW really is. Both of these dudes are equally just as bad and should really be out of the league. If anything I think Briscoe deserves more of a shot and would possibly be ok with him signing a 2 year 4M deal w/option for 2nd year.

Because we were 10-2 after we signed him and he had a +13.0 net rating over that stretch. I think we can safely say that he isn't that good, but he accomplished that despite his dreadful shooting. He is an exceptional defender and his effort made a big difference in our late-season push into the playoffs. If it's between Briscoe and MCW for one roster slot, I'd choose Briscoe, but you can do a lot worse than MCW with a roster slot.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#44 » by KillMonger » Sat May 25, 2019 1:26 pm

It's kinda tough because MCW was a spark for us for a little bit and he really competed on the defensive end. However if it's a choice between zay and MCW? it's Briscoe, I would bring him back for depth. Our PG rotation should be solidified with fultz/DJ/Briscoe. If we select NAW he can play with the ball in his hands too, that's what we need scorers and play makers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#45 » by j-ragg » Sat May 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Briscoe and MCW were feel good stories but I hope neither of them have to be our backup next year. If Fultz doesn't regain his shooting (which is pretty likely) we'll have the 3 worst shooting possibilities for backup point guards next season. That second unit spacing was so terrible, it'd be nice if we could get even someone like Quinn Cook to run the second unit.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#46 » by zaymon » Sat May 25, 2019 3:37 pm

j-ragg wrote:Briscoe and MCW were feel good stories but I hope neither of them have to be our backup next year. If Fultz doesn't regain his shooting (which is pretty likely) we'll have the 3 worst shooting possibilities for backup point guards next season. That second unit spacing was so terrible, it'd be nice if we could get even someone like Quinn Cook to run the second unit.

Both MCW and Briscoe are good 3rd stringers, Briscoe has chance to be good backup pg. We could try to sign some free agent for cheap. Weltman is good in negotiating team friendly deals. Rubio, Ish Smith, Collison, Joseph, Burke.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#47 » by MagicFan101 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:57 pm

j-ragg wrote:Briscoe and MCW were feel good stories but I hope neither of them have to be our backup next year. If Fultz doesn't regain his shooting (which is pretty likely) we'll have the 3 worst shooting possibilities for backup point guards next season. That second unit spacing was so terrible, it'd be nice if we could get even someone like Quinn Cook to run the second unit.

There is more to an offense than a sharp shooting PG.

Even during the limited action seen in Philly, there were some very nice things Fultz could do for an offense at the NBA level.

All we should want from him right now is to be healthy and offer reliable playing time.

... why is everyone in panic mode? Why is the entire future of the franchise hanging in the balance this summer for so many of you?
Icemanbrfc
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#48 » by Icemanbrfc » Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am

Mike Conley

Sent from my I3213 using Tapatalk
Icemanbrfc
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#49 » by Icemanbrfc » Sun May 26, 2019 6:01 pm

We start DJ next season, and re sign MCW. If Fultz is healthy, then MCW can play either SG or PG. Only issue then is, what do we do with Briscoe. Unless we let DJ go, I can't see us having 4 PG's on the roster.

T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#50 » by T-Cat » Sun May 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Instincts wrote:The good news there are a lot of PG options this offseason.

I believe PG is still a need, Fultz is not a certainty and also envision this team running smoothest with two ball handlers and play makers at the 1 and 2 positions. I could easily see Fultz at the 2 spot for some amount of time and this team needs a vet PG to structure the offense.

I would start with the options of Derrick Rose, Conley, or Dragic, ideally on two year deals that do not effect the 2021 salary cap space.

D. Rose
Fultz
AG
Issac
Vuch

D Rose would be a nice pickup for us! He would be a great leader and example for our guys.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#51 » by tiderulz » Sun May 26, 2019 7:35 pm

Icemanbrfc wrote:We start DJ next season, and re sign MCW. If Fultz is healthy, then MCW can play either SG or PG. Only issue then is, what do we do with Briscoe. Unless we let DJ go, I can't see us having 4 PG's on the roster.

MCW play SG? he cannot shoot. might as well play DJ at center.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#52 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon May 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Icemanbrfc wrote:We start DJ next season, and re sign MCW. If Fultz is healthy, then MCW can play either SG or PG. Only issue then is, what do we do with Briscoe. Unless we let DJ go, I can't see us having 4 PG's on the roster.

MCW ain't no SG. But, if Fultz came back legit, then DJ could play off the ball with his solid 3 point shot for 5-10 mpg.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#53 » by SD2042 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:08 pm

My thoughts on the PG situation is to go after Tyus Jones in free agency. Say a three year deal worth 9 mil. At least we know where he stands in terms of his skills set and reliability. Plus the situation with Fultz is still on the shelf right now until he's ready to show what he's able to produce once he hits the floor. Add another third PG for insurance purposes during the offseason.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#54 » by zaymon » Mon May 27, 2019 7:35 pm

I would hold off with drastic changes after we know what we have with Fultz. Right now we have either below average rotation with Dj starting, or great rotation with Fultz. Its hard to make good decisions when you dont know what you have on your own team.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#55 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:43 pm

zaymon wrote:I would hold off with drastic changes after we know what we have with Fultz. Right now we have either below average rotation with Dj starting, or great rotation with Fultz. Its hard to make good decisions when you dont know what you have on your own team.

Correct. The second piece to that story is we can’t realistically expect to make a serious (long term) improvement at PG without sacrificing one of our key young assets elsewhere on the roster.

We can still trade one of BIG next season. It’s better to make sure we HAVE to before making that choice.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,152

Post#56 » by swarlesbarkley » Tue May 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Not sure how much Portland likes Anfernee Simons, but I'd love to somehow trade for him. Then he and Fultz can battle it out for long-term starter while still keeping DJ around.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#57 » by Skin » Tue May 28, 2019 7:21 pm

zaymon wrote:I would hold off with drastic changes after we know what we have with Fultz. Right now we have either below average rotation with Dj starting, or great rotation with Fultz. Its hard to make good decisions when you dont know what you have on your own team.

Drafting a PG in Round 2 is not a drastic change. It's the best chemistry fit, imo.

No 2nd round PG is going to come in here hyped up to be the next starting PG. They will be hoping to just make the roster. Fultz won't feel the pressure of being overwritten just yet, so he can still properly go through his rehab.

However, there's still the element of competition because that 2nd rounder will be hungry to make it in the NBA. ...and if Fultz isn't able to come back, then there's a door open for that 2nd rounder to prove himself AND the Magic won't be totally screwed in terms of not having a young PG to develop for the future.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#58 » by Patrick1978 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Skin wrote:

Drafting a PG in Round 2 is not a drastic change. It's the best chemistry fit, imo.

No 2nd round PG is going to come in here hyped up to be the next starting PG. They will be hoping to just make the roster. Fultz won't feel the pressure of being overwritten just yet, so he can still properly go through his rehab.

However, there's still the element of competition because that 2nd rounder will be hungry to make it in the NBA. ...and if Fultz isn't able to come back, then there's a door open for that 2nd rounder to prove himself AND the Magic won't be totally screwed in terms of not having a young PG to develop for the future.

Absolutely.
There are a lot of interesting players in the second round.
Jaylen Nowell
Shamorie Ponds
Ky Bowman
Jalen Lecque
Jaylen Hands

Or may be weltman goes for Carsen Edwards in the first round.Who knows.....

Who are your draft favorites for Orlando?
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#59 » by Skin » Tue May 28, 2019 11:38 pm

Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:

Absolutely.
Jaylen Nowell
Shamorie Ponds
Ky Bowman
Jalen Lecque
Jaylen Hands

In Round 2 I like:

Cody Martin - Big PG. Reminds me of a Brogdon-ish type of pick. Higher floor than most because he's a Senior, but could surprise people with how easily his game translates.

Jaylen Nowell - Not really a PG but could be developed into one. Kind of reminds me of T-Ross in his style of play. Smooth operator.

Jaylen Hands - Bad freshman year playing next to Aaron Holiday hurt his stock, but had a really nice bounce back season. Doesn't have an NBA body yet, but one he does he could be a late bloomer who ends up being a star. Love him.

Jalen Lecque - Raw athleticism is elite but needs work on his shooting. More boom than bust potential. Would support the pick.

Ky Bowman - 6'1, but 6'7 wingspan helps. Explosive player who can also shoot. Lots to like as he plays with tenacity.

-----‐--------

Shamorie Ponds - Don't bother.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#60 » by Patrick1978 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:18 am

Skin wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:Drafting a PG in Round 2 is not a drastic change. It's the best chemistry fit, imo.

Absolutely.
Jaylen Nowell
Shamorie Ponds
Ky Bowman
Jalen Lecque
Jaylen Hands

In Round 2 I like:

Cody Martin - Big PG. Reminds me of a Brogdon-ish type of pick. Higher floor than most because he's a Senior, but could surprise people with how easily his game translates.

Jaylen Nowell - Not really a PG but could be developed into one. Kind of reminds me of T-Ross in his style of play. Smooth operator.

Jaylen Hands - Bad freshman year playing next to Aaron Holiday hurt his stock, but had a really nice bounce back season. Doesn't have an NBA body yet, but one he does he could be a late bloomer who ends up being a star. Love him.

Jalen Lecque - Raw athleticism is elite but needs work on his shooting. More boom than bust potential. Would support the pick.

Ky Bowman - 6'1, but 6'7 wingspan helps. Explosive player who can also shoot. Lots to like as he plays with tenacity.

-----‐--------

Shamorie Ponds - Don't bother.

Completely forgot about Cody Martin.
Yes,i like his game a lot,would be a great pick up.

For te first round pick i have a feeling that weltman and hammond will draft a player that nobody expects and nobody is talking about.
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel

Return to Orlando Magic