2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Re: Lebron recruiting/in contact with Kyrie, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler 

Post#41 » by kblo247 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:30 am

dockingsched wrote:
stan francisco wrote:If LBJ stays, Butler could be a good fit in terms of not being afraid of LeGroin. Good for team spirit if the leader is put on edge by a legit challenger.

LeBron is the one recruiting him, the reason Jimmy would come...and you’re over here using that Legroin name thinking lebron would somehow be concerned with his presence, lmao. Get a clue.

It's a double edge sword really. LEBron would be adamn fool to not know Jimmy has talent, Jimmy has work ethic, Jimmy is a tough sob, and Jimmy brings winning where he goes regardless of system.

Now the whole counter to that is if Bron pulled half the **** he did last year
- skips intro press conference
- tries to sit out preseason to pressured to play
- tells media y'all know I'm LeBron JAmes
- talks about AD in the locker room and wanting him
- Doesn't play defense at all to the point Kuz pushed him

YEah LeBron is going to get a literal confrontation from Jimmy. Jimmy will go off on him in practice with cameras watching and he will call him out in the press with no **** given and then challenge him and back his **** up :lol:

HE got a lot of the Kobe Bryant call shaq ass out, Pippen call Barkley a lazy fat ass, mentality in him
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#42 » by stan francisco » Sat May 25, 2019 1:31 am

dockingsched wrote:
stan francisco wrote:If LBJ stays, Butler could be a good fit in terms of not being afraid of LeGroin. Good for team spirit if the leader is put on edge by a legit challenger.

LeBron is the one recruiting him, the reason Jimmy would come...and you’re over here using that Legroin name thinking lebron would somehow be concerned with his presence, lmao. Get a clue.

A-hem. I think you misread me a bit. I never said LBJ would be concerned. I wasn’t bashing him.

The point I was trying to get across: it’s good for every leader to have a legit challenger keeping them honest. It’s good for the whole team, and is most likely part of the reason why he’s recruiting him. Butler is a total bulldog who doesn’t back down for anyone or anything. LeBron knows he needs that. It’s called healthy competition. James and Butler are not equals but LBJ can’t pull any what so ever bs with Jimmy B.

That nick name is something I claim he earned all by himself by trying to trade all of his team mates to NO, and for protecting CP3 over Ingram in that ‘brawl’ against HOU, and for running Luke out of town, and for congratulating himself after every win and blaming the kids after every loss etc, etc). I am also well aware that he’s a top three player in the world alongside Durant and Leonard when he plays defense, and he sells the most jerseys. But being a great player doesn’t make for a great leader. That’s why I want to trade him now while we can still get anybody we want for him.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#43 » by Ball so hard » Sat May 25, 2019 1:59 am

stan francisco wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

A-hem. I think you misread me a bit. I never said LBJ would be concerned. I wasn’t bashing him.

The point I was trying to get across: it’s good for every leader to have a legit challenger keeping them honest. It’s good for the whole team, and is most likely part of the reason why he’s recruiting him. Butler is a total bulldog who doesn’t back down for anyone or anything. LeBron knows he needs that. It’s called healthy competition. James and Butler are not equals but LBJ can’t pull any what so ever bs with Jimmy B.

That nick name is something I claim he earned all by himself by trying to trade all of his team mates to NO, and for protecting CP3 over Ingram in that ‘brawl’ against HOU, and for running Luke out of town, and for congratulating himself after every win and blaming the kids after every loss etc, etc). I am also well aware that he’s a top three player in the world alongside Durant and Leonard when he plays defense, and he sells the most jerseys. But being a great player doesn’t make for a great leader. That’s why I want to trade him now while we can still get anybody we want for him.

You're insulting Lebron by calling him Legroin; by definition that alone is bashing. Don't really care for the nickname... it's neither funny nor creative. The second part of your post is 100 percent conjecture.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by stan francisco » Sat May 25, 2019 2:27 am

Ball so hard wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
dockingsched wrote:LeBron is the one recruiting him, the reason Jimmy would come...and you’re over here using that Legroin name thinking lebron would somehow be concerned with his presence, lmao. Get a clue.

You're insulting Lebron by calling him Legroin; by definition that alone is bashing. Don't really care for the nickname... it's neither funny nor creative. The second part of your post is 100 percent conjecture.

I will stop insulting the King now. Promise. For real.

I don’t think 100% at all, I’d argue 0%. But I was also never a homer-blind Kobe apologist either. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t cheering for him as much as every other laker fan. I’m all about the team as a five component machinery. The early Phil Jackson years, where role players were celebrated for what they did.

That’s why I can’t stand stars who put themselves over the team. It works better the other way. Dig in and play defense or get out, is my message to them. No matter self dubbed royal titles, names or derogatory nicknames. That **** is superficial. The other **** is real, the five component machinery part. That takes leadership and camaraderie, chemistry. Humility.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#45 » by LAKESHOW » Sat May 25, 2019 2:43 am

Folks, like ive said before, like the dude or not, we are at the mercy of his recruiting capabilities. I do not have faith in pelinka or jeanies recruiting ability. This was the only thing magic brought to the table. But whatever, hes gone and Bron is here. We have to hope kawhi or kyrie or some big names want to join him. And pelinka and crew better not screw around and come correct with a righteous offer. Like i would be pissed if Bron recruited a great free agent talent, and our front office blows it by lowballing
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by stan francisco » Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Folks, like ive said before, like the dude or not, we are at the mercy of his recruiting capabilities. I do not have faith in pelinka or jeanies recruiting ability. This was the only thing magic brought to the table. But whatever, hes gone and Bron is here. We have to hope kawhi or kyrie or some big names want to join him. And pelinka and crew better not screw around and come correct with a righteous offer. Like i would be pissed if Bron recruited a great free agent talent, and our front office blows it by lowballing

Just curious, more pissed than you’d be if they signed players like Mozgov and Deng for max deals on day one of FA? I’d be pissed if they overpaid (max) in a long term deal for an aging Butler for instance.

Research is the key to sound pricing judgment. Rob does his research. And he has no personal vengeful intent against Jeannie like Jim did. I’m not a Rob fan but I doubt we’ll be fooled into a sucker deal with him at the helm. We should all probably cut him some slack and see what he can do.

And yes, agreed. The king is now our new Magic. Rob reports to him. The king now provides the industry connection Magic previously provided and he is our new recruiting PR machine. King President. If he does as well as Magic did, he should land the best player available, (Kawhi or Durant).
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#47 » by LAKESHOW » Sat May 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Very true, im giving big props to Rob for getting rid of contracts and paperwork, and typing. My whole deal as stated before, these guys did not see each others merits, talents and gifts that they brought to the team. Magic recruiter, cant write a contract worth a damn. Rob, paperwork. There is worth in both, just sad that these guys could not see it.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#48 » by TyCobb » Sat May 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Unfortunately, Magic couldn't keep his big mouth shut and pissed off other FO's.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#49 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat May 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Magic is interesting.
On the court , he was all about others and getting his teammates involved.
Off the court, he’s been all about himself, almost narcissistically wanting to get attention and recognition.
LBJ will be about making a super team and winning championships together with those he will recruit.
I think LBJ will be successful in getting one of the big FAs to commit to us.
Formerly lakerRD
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#50 » by Landsberger » Sat May 25, 2019 6:08 pm

kblo247 wrote:
King23James wrote:With Toronto making finals, dont see Kawhi Leaving. I hope its Kyrie, the option that I dont like most is Jimmy Butler. Vastly overrated.

Jimmy Butler has been more impactful to actually winning NBA games than Anthony David, Karl Anthony Towns, and you can even argue Dame I get swept out Lillard. I mean he's rough around the edges but hes talented and works hard, which is what Bron needs. I would happily take Jimmy Butler because you are going to need a Butler even if you do an AD trade. AD isn't a second guy mentally or a co-star, he can't check LeBron, he's go get cucked like Bosh and Love before him because of his mentality. You need a Kyrie or Jimmy, not a Kemba

I agree with building the team around balance and not just "collecting" stat hounds like Davis. Butler for a max slot is probable after we strike out with Leonard however. Butler's play on the court is one thing.... his attitude about it is another. He's not endeared himself to any team he's been on and you don't get over the hump with him unless he's helping on the court AND in the locker room.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#51 » by SweetTouch » Sat May 25, 2019 6:15 pm

It’s so easy to see the LBJ haters on here

Like don’t make it obvious

Go root for another team if you mad the King is a Laker
Stop being so disrespectful.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,392

Post#52 » by Danny Darko » Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 pm

SweetTouch wrote:It’s so easy to see the LBJ haters on here

Like don’t make it obvious

Go root for another team if you mad the King is a Laker

yeah there are populations of Lebron haters and fans here, but just to catch you up- we've had so many LeBron homers disrupt conversations (like literally not adding anything to a conversation on topic ehem) that we just ban them after a warning now. This would be your one warning.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#53 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat May 25, 2019 9:33 pm

lakerRD wrote:Magic is interesting.
On the court , he was all about others and getting his teammates involved.
Off the court, he’s been all about himself, almost narcissistically wanting to get attention and recognition.
LBJ will be about making a super team and winning championships together with those he will recruit.
I think LBJ will be successful in getting one of the big FAs to commit to us.

Really disappointing. Magic is my idol, the dude who got me into basketball and the ideal for how I think the game should be played. But that was so, so selfish. Everybody can relate to falling out with a coworker and wanting to put them on blast. But doing it in public like he did served no real purpose other than assuaging his ego and making us look shambolic. (Not that we need a lot of help in that department, but still.) I wasn't expecting him to be Jerry West, but neither did I expect he'd try to burn down the building on his way out.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#54 » by Pythagoras » Sat May 25, 2019 9:49 pm

The deeper I watch the Raptors go in these playoffs, the more I like the idea of Jimmy (if we can’t land Kawhi). Someone mentioned this on the GB, and it really never occurred to me until they said it, but the Raptors have built a juggernaut defensive team. Even when they can’t get their shot falling, they can hang their hat on their d. Adding Jimmy would give us plus defenders in Lonzo, Ingram, Jimmy, and LeBron (when he cares) and would put us in their stratosphere.

Also, Jimmy went toe to toe with that Raptors defense and didn’t blink. Contrast that to Embiid and Giannis, two top 10 players who got their lunch handed to them.
Numbers rule the universe.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#55 » by Optms » Sat May 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Too many big names up for grabs this Summer, guys.

We're going to land a big FA. Only question is who.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#56 » by nzahir » Sat May 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Pythagoras wrote:The deeper I watch the Raptors go in these playoffs, the more I like the idea of Jimmy (if we can’t land Kawhi). Someone mentioned this on the GB, and it really never occurred to me until they said it, but the Raptors have built a juggernaut defensive team. Even when they can’t get their shot falling, they can hang their hat on their d. Adding Jimmy would give us plus defenders in Lonzo, Ingram, Jimmy, and LeBron (when he cares) and would put us in their stratosphere.

Also, Jimmy went toe to toe with that Raptors defense and didn’t blink. Contrast that to Embiid and Giannis, two top 10 players who got their lunch handed to them.

Fit would suck without a few more deals, not enough spacing, too many guys who need the ball

If we get Jimmy, I am in high favor getting AD for 3 of our 4 main pieces, future pick and possibly Hart/Wagner depending on the deal. Lonzo (can get 6 or 7th pick), BI, 4th pick, future 1st for AD

Collison/Hill with room exception, Hart, Butler, Lebron, AD
Bench of Caruso, Kuzma, Wagner and vet mins.

Maybe we are able to get Hutchison or Frank Jackson from Bulls or from Pels. Depth worries me a bit, but its 6 forsure playable guys in any series. I think Wagner improves and can be a 7th guy. Hopefully can get good vets. JR smith, Wayne Ellington, Tyson (who looked cooked), and Lance are all guys I would look at for min. I would even look at Melo if we moved Kuzma for a better defensive 2/3 on rookie deal
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#57 » by Pythagoras » Sat May 25, 2019 10:34 pm

nzahir wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:The deeper I watch the Raptors go in these playoffs, the more I like the idea of Jimmy (if we can’t land Kawhi). Someone mentioned this on the GB, and it really never occurred to me until they said it, but the Raptors have built a juggernaut defensive team. Even when they can’t get their shot falling, they can hang their hat on their d. Adding Jimmy would give us plus defenders in Lonzo, Ingram, Jimmy, and LeBron (when he cares) and would put us in their stratosphere.

Fit would suck without a few more deals, not enough spacing, too many guys who need the ball

If we get Jimmy, I am in high favor getting AD for 3 of our 4 main pieces, future pick and possibly Hart/Wagner depending on the deal. Lonzo (can get 6 or 7th pick), BI, 4th pick, future 1st for AD

Maybe we are able to get Hutchison or Frank Jackson from Bulls or from Pels. Depth worries me a bit, but its 6 forsure playable guys in any series. I think Wagner improves and can be a 7th guy. Hopefully can get good vets. JR smith, Wayne Ellington, Tyson (who looked cooked), and Lance are all guys I would look at for min. I would even look at Melo if we moved Kuzma for a better defensive 2/3 on rookie deal

I don’t think the fit would be nearly as bad as people think. Jimmy isn’t a guy who over dribbles, shoots a lot, or chomps up high usage rates. Jimmy was also able to make it work with Simmons/Embiid this year, and Wiggins/Towns last year. I think we’d be fine.
Numbers rule the universe.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#58 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
nzahir wrote:

I don’t think the fit would be nearly as bad as people think. Jimmy isn’t a guy who over dribbles, shoots a lot, or chomps up high usage rates. Jimmy was also able to make it work with Simmons/Embiid this year, and Wiggins/Towns last year. I think we’d be fine.

Jimmy would fit well with LeBron. Ultimately LeBron just needs a second guy who can create his own shot but doesn't dominate the ball. that's the role Irving played with the Cavs. Butler can defend 1 to 4. I honestly think Butler is a better fit next to LeBron because he can play SG/SF/PF and LeBron can play SF/PF/C.
You need to surround them with a defensive PF/C, a stretch 5, a 3 and D SG, and a 3 and D PG.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#59 » by nzahir » Sat May 25, 2019 11:11 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
nzahir wrote:

Problem isn't just Jimmy, but the others with him. You can only have so many guys on the floor who can't shoot it. PHI ran into that problem, super talented team but some poor fits
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#60 » by Ball so hard » Sat May 25, 2019 11:44 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
nzahir wrote:Fit would suck without a few more deals, not enough spacing, too many guys who need the ball

Jimmy would fit well with LeBron. Ultimately LeBron just needs a second guy who can create his own shot but doesn't dominate the ball. that's the role Irving played with the Cavs. Butler can defend 1 to 4. I honestly think Butler is a better fit next to LeBron because he can play SG/SF/PF and LeBron can play SF/PF/C.
You need to surround them with a defensive PF/C, a stretch 5, a 3 and D SG, and a 3 and D PG.

That's asking for a lot... that's like rebuilding the entire roster. None of our current player match those profiles.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers