ImageImageImage

Brett Brown : Not Today!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Re: Brett Brown : Not Today! 

Post#301 » by rzzzzz » Sat May 18, 2019 1:37 am

i will admit that keeping Brown probably helps our chances holding onto Jimmy. Jimmy says he likes the guy, said he dug it when Brett tore into the team at halftime (game 3?) and obviously Brett listened to Jimmy's concerns when he changed the offense by putting the ball more in Jimmy's hands and ran a whole lot more PnRs.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,647

Post#302 » by LordCovington33 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:34 am

hookshot199 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Updated thread title for all the haters.

Stop being a jerk. People are entitled to their opinions without you sniping. You are a mod, by the way.

So clearly his players want him back - and had his back - including even Jimmy apparently. And if Jimmy's going to be our "coach" on the floor, I can live with that.

As a fan who doesn't think Brown is a good coach (it doesn't make me a "hater" any more than you a "lover" if I want to be pejorative), you made very good arguments for keeping him - the biggest being fairness (he only had his new personnel for around 25 games and Embiid missed half of those).

And secondly, I have my doubts about whether there was anyone in the wings. I'm against retreads - Thibodeau, Lue and Van Gundy - as much as most of us. And this isn't the time to bring in a newbie.

Although I was intrigued by the number of references to Jay Wright in some of the media reports, including one by The Associated Press, I suspect neither Brand nor Harris had any sort of commitment from Wright if they even broached the subject.

So in the end, I think Harris and Brand made the right decision. But before buying into it completely, I hope to see less JJ, less Embiid out at the top of the key, less Embiid shooting 3's, and more Ben learning to shoot a short jump shot. And of course: Brown practicing "load management" for Embiid and not just talking about it.

Sixerscan is a top-of-the-shelf mod, but I agree that there is some low-key passive aggressive trolling there. Keeping or firing Brown is such a divisive topic. I don’t like him and he really stuffed up last season during the Boston playoffs when he brought Simmons back on during his infamous one-pointer, but he has made some improvements. Still a below-average playoff coach, but better than last year. Unless there is a suitable replacement, it is unwise to fire him just for the sake of doing so.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#303 » by 76ciology » Sat May 18, 2019 4:26 am

Brett is the type of coach that believes in the collective can always beat an individual. Maybe being part of battles of going up against a prime LeBron would influence you with that.

His offense likes to involve everyone. So not much ISO and PnR. Think about it.. we complain about his DHO and globe trotter offense but we’re one of the highest teams in ORTg and TS%.

His defense doesn't try to cover everything. He is Ok giving up wide open shots for selective shots like mid range and 3pt for non shooters and letting one guy have a big scoring night while locking down the rest. Think about it.. we give up a lot of wide open 3s but we’re one of the best teams in 3pt defense.

And in the play-offs, he adjusts. Teams can’t target JJ anymore. We put Ben on DLo and Biid on Siakam. Sometimes he tries Monroe. Sometimes he tries Bolden. Sometimes he tries Biid. When our “vanilla offense” isn’t working, we then become a heavy PnR team

In the end, it’s a game of probability. You’re not always gonna win.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 339

Post#304 » by Jhawk03 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:30 am

Doc Rivers is the only coach in NBA history to win a championship with a franchise in which he coached the same franchise prior to winning the championship for a full 82 game season posting a sub .500 record. It took him getting Garnett, PP and Ray to get that title.

I hate going against trends, BB has been here since the beginning of the process, and history says Brett can NOT get us a ring, unless we come up HUGE (Celtics 08) this offseason.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#305 » by VDT » Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am

Jhawk03 wrote:Doc Rivers is the only coach in NBA history to win a championship with a franchise in which he coached the same franchise prior to winning the championship for a full 82 game season posting a sub .500 record. It took him getting Garnett, PP and Ray to get that title.

I hate going against trends, BB has been here since the beginning of the process, and history says Brett can NOT get us a ring, unless we come up HUGE (Celtics 08) this offseason.

That makes no sense. Any coach in NBA history would have a sub 0.500 record during the tanking years and over multiple seasons, not just one.

Regarding Brown i am interested to see how the team offense looks if they run it back. Motion offense is not an offense that caters to Butler's and Embiid's strengths and they had to move away from that in the playoffs. On the other hand a more iso or pnr offense will turn inevitably Simmons into a roleplayer that hurts his team with his lack of shooting. It will be interesting to see how Brown navigates through that but i feel there is a real danger of him losing the locker room this year because of everyone's high expectations and demands.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,462

Post#306 » by youngcrev » Sun May 26, 2019 12:31 am

Jhawk03 wrote:Doc Rivers is the only coach in NBA history to win a championship with a franchise in which he coached the same franchise prior to winning the championship for a full 82 game season posting a sub .500 record. It took him getting Garnett, PP and Ray to get that title.

You're drunk if that made any sense to you
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,366

Post#307 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:17 am

How do you guys feel about Brett after the Raptors-Bucks series?

I honestly didn't think he was bad against us. I thought he outcoached Nurse for most of the series (who just oucoached Bud).
poomaster
Senior
And1: 701

Post#308 » by poomaster » Sun May 26, 2019 6:57 am

Raps in 4 wrote:How do you guys feel about Brett after the Raptors-Bucks series?

I honestly didn't think he was bad against us. I thought he outcoached Nurse for most of the series (who just oucoached Bud).

Brett was definitely more dynamic with substitutions and adjusting his defensive and offensive lineups against raps, Bud made little to no changes during the series. Brett is definitely the better coach from what I saw in the 2 series.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#309 » by 76ciology » Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 am

Raps in 4 wrote:How do you guys feel about Brett after the Raptors-Bucks series?

None.

Because I know Brett put our team at the best position to win. Raps played with more composure and wanted it more in game 7.

Luck also didnt favor us in the Raps series. Big moments were the couple of games when Embiid wasnt 100% and that last shot by Kawhi.

Raps also were just more deserving. Embiid wasn’t there with Giannis or Kawhi. You need atleast 1 guy to play that level to win a championship.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#310 » by youngcrev » Sun May 26, 2019 1:20 pm

Just based on that series? I guess slightly better. One shot away from beating the team that won the East looks nice. Feels like more of a reason to bring back all the starters than a statement about the coach. And reinforces that stigma about Bud's teams over performing during the regular season.

I already felt good about Brett after this playoff run though. I thought he slightly outcoached both of our opponents, and both were fairly highly regarded. Complete opposite of last year when the perception was that he was outclassed by Stevens.

I think he's great with culture building type stuff, so if he can be this good on the tactical side, I see no reason he shouldn't be around here long-term.

Obviously, things can change though.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,431

Post#311 » by FlyingArrow » Mon May 27, 2019 12:34 am

If we had traded Ben for Kawhi, we would almost certainly be in the Finals right now. I still don't regret that we didn't pull the trigger. There's no guarantee Kawhi stays in TOR or that he would have stayed in PHL. Trading 4 (or more - hopefully a whole career) years of Ben for 1 year of Kawhi when you didn't even know if Kawhi would play (injury concerns were still an issue)... too risky of a move. And even so, we were one shot away from beating them.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#312 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 27, 2019 12:55 am

FlyingArrow wrote:If we had traded Ben for Kawhi, we would almost certainly be in the Finals right now. I still don't regret that we didn't pull the trigger. There's no guarantee Kawhi stays in TOR or that he would have stayed in PHL. Trading 4 (or more - hopefully a whole career) years of Ben for 1 year of Kawhi when you didn't even know if Kawhi would play (injury concerns were still an issue)... too risky of a move. And even so, we were one shot away from beating them.

People keep saying the Kawhi trade has been vindicated with the Raps reaching the finals. Frankly, they gave up a top 20 protected pick and Derozon, who they were going nowhere with. It was worth the gamble either way to get him and Green for such little value.

However, if you give up Ben Simmons (much more value to me than Derozon and a top 20 prot first), and Kawhi walks without us winning a championship, it would be a disaster. I’m not giving up Ben to get beat in the finals. If I’m giving up Ben, I need a championship this year or Kawhi to re-sign for it to be a good trade. Saying we could be where the Raps are doesn’t excite me. I wouldn’t mortgage the future to come in second.

With that being said, Kawhi has looked so good coming back from the injury, that I think we could have had a legit shot at winning. In hindsight, I’d prob do the deal because Kawhi has come back better than ever, but I thought the price of Ben was too high for the risk, but the price Toronto paid was a no-brainer.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#313 » by youngcrev » Mon May 27, 2019 3:51 am

sixers hoops wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:If we had traded Ben for Kawhi, we would almost certainly be in the Finals right now. I still don't regret that we didn't pull the trigger. There's no guarantee Kawhi stays in TOR or that he would have stayed in PHL. Trading 4 (or more - hopefully a whole career) years of Ben for 1 year of Kawhi when you didn't even know if Kawhi would play (injury concerns were still an issue)... too risky of a move. And even so, we were one shot away from beating them.

People keep saying the Kawhi trade has been vindicated with the Raps reaching the finals. Frankly, they gave up a top 20 protected pick and Derozon, who they were going nowhere with. It was worth the gamble either way to get him and Green for such little value.

However, if you give up Ben Simmons (much more value to me than Derozon and a top 20 prot first), and Kawhi walks without us winning a championship, it would be a disaster. I’m not giving up Ben to get beat in the finals. If I’m giving up Ben, I need a championship this year or Kawhi to re-sign for it to be a good trade. Saying we could be where the Raps are doesn’t excite me. I wouldn’t mortgage the future to come in second.

With that being said, Kawhi has looked so good coming back from the injury, that I think we could have had a legit shot at winning. In hindsight, I’d prob do the deal because Kawhi has come back better than ever, but I thought the price of Ben was too high for the risk, but the price Toronto paid was a no-brainer.

Right. And frankly, if the Spurs didn't have the win-now mentality that comes along with having a HOF coach that is coming down to the end of his line, a package of "anything but Simmons/Embiid" would of looked a lot more attractive than what they got in return. If the Spurs could of gotten everything that we gave up for Harris and Butler for Kawhi and Green, both teams would of been in a better position.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 339

Post#314 » by Jhawk03 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:41 am

youngcrev wrote:

I'll make it easier for your brain to comprehend what this means.

Name a coach besides Doc Rivers, who was hired by a team... coached a full season finishing sub .500, and went on to win a championship for that same team in the future. How is this difficult to understand??
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#315 » by youngcrev » Mon May 27, 2019 5:15 am

Jhawk03 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Name a coach besides Doc Rivers, who was hired by a team... coached a full season finishing sub .500, and went on to win a championship for that same team in the future. How is this difficult to understand??

You know how many different head coaches have won a title since the Sixers last championship? 13. Since 1983. You're dealing with a very small group of individuals. The fact that one of them actually qualifies makes your question pretty meaningless. It's also purposely narrow to avoid that Popovic coached the tanking Spurs the majority of the season in his first year.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#316 » by BullyKing » Mon May 27, 2019 7:11 am

Jhawk03 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

What's difficult to understand is what anyone is supposed to take from this factoid. So should Brown be fired simply because of it? Like Josh Harris should tell him, you know Brett we concluded you deserved to return but then we learned about this stat and so you need to go? Or should we make huge changes this offseason to try to replicate that Celtics offseason from a decade ago?

It's an interesting quizzo question but isn't something I think should be the impetus for any action.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,429

Post#317 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 28, 2019 1:38 pm

So as they tear down Mike D'Antoni staff around him. It's no too much of a stretch to say he could be back on the 76ers bench as the head coach if Brown stumbles.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,429

Post#318 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 28, 2019 1:46 pm

sixers hoops wrote:

I like what you wrote there sixers hoops. To piggyback on that. One of the talking heads on the radio gave his assessment of Kawhi in free agency like this. No matter what the Raptors do. When you look around what do they have to build with going forward in Toronto. Kawhi is in his prime. Lowery, Serge and Gasol are all on the decline. Siakam shows promise but that is about it. Then you look at the Clippers, enough cap space to sign 2 max free agents. Jerry West is there, you have a billionaire owner willing to spend, he will be home, an excellent coach in doc, SGA is a young player on the rise, they just took the warriors to 6 games. The Clippers have a lot more promise than the Raptors. If you were Kawhi where would you go title or no title?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#319 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 28, 2019 4:12 pm

I'd hire Dave Joerger as an assistant coach if he doesn't get hired as a HC this offseason. Talk about a dude that builds up a team only to get fired right before they take off. The Grizz were actually pretty decent, but were coming alive at the wrong time and had unfortunate issues with injuries.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#320 » by fl311 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:27 pm

Eyeamok wrote:So as they tear down Mike D'Antoni staff around him. It's no too much of a stretch to say he could be back on the 76ers bench as the head coach if Brown stumbles.

D'Antoni would never be hired as head coach of this team.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers