ImageImageImageImage

The orlando magic are interested in signing kemba walker according too steve kyler

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: The orlando magic are interested in signing kemba walker according too steve kyler 

Post#41 » by MagicFan101 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:12 pm

OrlandO wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
OrlandO wrote:snip

Yeah realized after I posted it I was looking in the 20-21 column for Frazier not the 19-20. Also feels like we stretched CJ Watson a decade ago. Why is Ross' cap hold 15.75? I thought it was 125% of their last season's salary but might've got that mixed up with rookie contract rules. Thanks for the breakdown either way, I appreciate the work. Looks like we'd probably have to do another big-ish move. Fournier or DJ for a non-gtd deal maybe.

I believe it has to do with Bird rights, so it's 150% of the previous salary. We could maybe convince him to sign for less than his cap hold though. We could technically clear space, but it just seems unlikely to work out as we'd have to get rid of a lot of contributing pieces and that's not going to go over well with a major free agent with plenty of options. Weltman is in a bit of a pickle... can't attract a big free agent unless you have money and a playoff team. We can realistically offer one, but not both imo.

I think we are going to have to push for consistency by bringing back Vuc and Ross. Then treat Bamba, Fultz and #16 as the new additions to the roster because they practically are.

We will need to prove to the league over the next 2-3 years that we are a well run organization capable of reaching the post season regularly.

Over the time we can learn what we truly have in Fultz, Isaac, Bamaba and somewhat in AG. Then the end of the new deal for Vuc is approach and we can decide on trades for BIG. That is when we make a move from a #5-8 seed to a conference contender. ... unless Fultz or Isaac break out.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: The orlando magic are interested in signing kemba walker according too steve kyler 

Post#42 » by OrlandO » Sat May 25, 2019 5:54 pm

j-ragg wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Yeah realized after I posted it I was looking in the 20-21 column for Frazier not the 19-20. Also feels like we stretched CJ Watson a decade ago. Why is Ross' cap hold 15.75? I thought it was 125% of their last season's salary but might've got that mixed up with rookie contract rules. Thanks for the breakdown either way, I appreciate the work. Looks like we'd probably have to do another big-ish move. Fournier or DJ for a non-gtd deal maybe.

I believe it has to do with Bird rights, so it's 150% of the previous salary. We could maybe convince him to sign for less than his cap hold though. We could technically clear space, but it just seems unlikely to work out as we'd have to get rid of a lot of contributing pieces and that's not going to go over well with a major free agent with plenty of options. Weltman is in a bit of a pickle... can't attract a big free agent unless you have money and a playoff team. We can realistically offer one, but not both imo.

Fully agree, would be shocked if it did happen. Was just toying with ways to create space in that unlikely scenario. I wonder what Ross would sign for. Maybe a deal a little higher than his previous one? Like 3/36-40? Hard to predict.

In his exit interview he kind of hinted what Vuc does will impact what he does. So I'm thinking if we keep Vuc or maybe find a way to sign a similar all-star (unlikely given the above context to do it, but never know what could happen with trades) then he would be open to re-signing to a reasonable 12-13m per year deal... most of the good sixth men in the league aren't paid more than that. If we downgrade the team then I'm afraid we'd have to overpay in order to convince him to stay.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#43 » by OrlandO » Sat May 25, 2019 5:56 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Yeah realized after I posted it I was looking in the 20-21 column for Frazier not the 19-20. Also feels like we stretched CJ Watson a decade ago. Why is Ross' cap hold 15.75? I thought it was 125% of their last season's salary but might've got that mixed up with rookie contract rules. Thanks for the breakdown either way, I appreciate the work. Looks like we'd probably have to do another big-ish move. Fournier or DJ for a non-gtd deal maybe.

I think we are going to have to push for consistency by bringing back Vuc and Ross. Then treat Bamba, Fultz and #16 as the new additions to the roster because they practically are.

We will need to prove to the league over the next 2-3 years that we are a well run organization capable of reaching the post season regularly.

Over the time we can learn what we truly have in Fultz, Isaac, Bamaba and somewhat in AG. Then the end of the new deal for Vuc is approach and we can decide on trades for BIG. That is when we make a move from a #5-8 seed to a conference contender. ... unless Fultz or Isaac break out.

Yeah that's the route I've been expecting for a while unless some team decides to overpay vuc and forces us to go another route...
orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

Post#44 » by orthoman » Sat May 25, 2019 10:52 pm

Vogel was " close with" Paul George so to suggest Kemba would come here because of Clifford is nonsense.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#45 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun May 26, 2019 12:48 am

drsd wrote:I cannot see Walker in Orlando. He will cost to much and is redundant. The Magic need wing upgrade more than anything else, right now in my opinion.

How is an elite PG redundant on the Magic who desperately need a play maker?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#46 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun May 26, 2019 12:53 am

Howard Mass wrote:If The Magic want to sign Kemba Walker, they will have to let Vucevic and Ross go.

I think he will bolt to NY or LAL if he decides not to take the Supermax in Charlotte.

If the Magic were able to trade away Fournier and Mozgov, could they sign Kemba and keep both or one of Vooch or Ross?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,506

Post#47 » by shadrock » Sun May 26, 2019 1:22 am

What the fk would Kyler know. Absolute deadset flog.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#48 » by Howard Mass » Sun May 26, 2019 1:47 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:If The Magic want to sign Kemba Walker, they will have to let Vucevic and Ross go.

I think he will bolt to NY or LAL if he decides not to take the Supermax in Charlotte.

If the Magic were able to trade away Fournier and Mozgov, could they sign Kemba and keep both or one of Vooch or Ross?

The Magic would not be able to move Fournier and Mozgov without taking back salary.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#49 » by Howard Mass » Sun May 26, 2019 1:47 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:

The Magic would not be able to move Fournier and Mozgov without taking back salary.

woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#50 » by woosah » Sun May 26, 2019 1:48 am

Kyler had us thinking we were about to sign IT last year lol. He's starting early i guess.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#51 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun May 26, 2019 11:17 am

Howard Mass wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

What about attaching a 1st Rounder or maybe 2 2nd rounders?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#52 » by Howard Mass » Sun May 26, 2019 12:11 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

What about attaching a 1st Rounder or maybe 2 2nd rounders?

That price would not be enough to get $34 million off the cap.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,487

Post#53 » by Skybox » Sun May 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Xatticus wrote:The NBA changed the way sign-and-trades work some time back to prevent teams from using bird rights to circumvent the salary cap. It seems likely that base year compensation would apply if Charlotte re-signed him with the intent to trade him. This would make it impossible to match salaries as Charlotte would only be able to take back roughly $12M in salary. Orlando would have to get well under the cap to take back the difference in salary by renouncing Ross and Vucevic.

Charlotte would have to avoid using Walker's bird rights to avoid the BYC rule, but they have roughly $65M in committed salaries next year plus another $28M in player options that will almost certainly get picked up. So that won't work unless Charlotte renounces all of their non-guaranteed deals and Walker agrees to sign for around $15M.

A sign-and-trade isn't an impossibility, but it wouldn't work out the way people are expecting. There is no scenario where we could end up with both Vucevic and Walker. The rule was implemented to prevent teams from doing precisely what is being proposed in this thread. The only incentive at that point would be to dump some salary on Charlotte, but why would they agree to a sign-and-trade for that purpose?

Good info! How are salaries of future picks valued against cap in trades? Are they at all? In other words, if we traded (hypothetically) our 2021 frp in a package...is there a dollar figure/cap hold value that must be absorbed by receiving team? Or can you add picks to trade packages with no financial calculation?
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#54 » by MoMM » Sun May 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Trade for JR Smith, who doesn't have a guaranteed contract.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#55 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Kemba isn’t going to turn down the most amount of money to play for a team that isn’t a contender.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#56 » by j-ragg » Sun May 26, 2019 5:03 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Kemba isn’t going to turn down the most amount of money to play for a team that isn’t a contender.

Yup. If he wanted to go to a borderline playoff team, he'd take his super-max or 5 year max from Charlotte depending on what they offer. If he jumps ship I'd be shocked if he went to a team that wasn't a legit contender for the title.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Icemanbrfc
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#57 » by Icemanbrfc » Sun May 26, 2019 5:58 pm

j-ragg wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Kemba isn’t going to turn down the most amount of money to play for a team that isn’t a contender.

Yup. If he wanted to go to a borderline playoff team, he'd take his super-max or 5 year max from Charlotte depending on what they offer. If he jumps ship I'd be shocked if he went to a team that wasn't a legit contender for the title.
Which contending team right now, would want to take on Kemba? Boston maybe if Kyrie leaves, but other than that I can't see who else needs a PG and willing to pay Max for him. Grizzlies might look at him, if Conley leaves, but again, would he go to Memphis?

Sent from my I3213 using Tapatalk
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#58 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Icemanbrfc wrote:
j-ragg wrote:

Which contending team right now, would want to take on Kemba? Boston maybe if Kyrie leaves, but other than that I can't see who else needs a PG and willing to pay Max for him. Grizzlies might look at him, if Conley leaves, but again, would he go to Memphis?

He has to choose between max money in Charlotte or taking less to compete. That’s the decision. Orlando offers neither.
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 717

Post#59 » by CZ Eddie » Sun May 26, 2019 10:34 pm

IMO, the East is wide open next year.
So ANY superstar signing by ANY East team, is going to be verrry interesting.
Keep your politics out of my sports
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#60 » by j-ragg » Sun May 26, 2019 11:37 pm

Icemanbrfc wrote:
j-ragg wrote:

Grizzlies? What on earth lol. I’d imagine the Knicks w/ another star, Nets w/ another star, or two LA teams would be the favorites.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.

Return to Orlando Magic