Would you play in the NBA Finals if you were Kevin Durant

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Would you play in the NBA Finals if you were Kevin Durant 

Post#1 » by Deadpool Raptor » Mon May 27, 2019 1:26 am

...if you were Kevin Durant?

If I was Durant's people I would talk him out of it. Why risk a career threatening injury? He's already won with this team and if he does take a serious injury he's missing out on signing a huge long term deal that will take him into his 30s.

Also the following article says he is looking for a huge contact.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/kevin-durant-wants-much-money-i-can-next-free-agency-contract%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjM-8PExrriAhWy1lkKHcgCBnIQFjAOegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1DbRPESfnGILxWAMGeiWRn&ampcf=1

Also I want the Raptors to win the championship.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Re: Would you play in the NBA Finals... 

Post#2 » by NBAFan93 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:43 am

If my long term health was it risk or if I knew I wasn’t ready enough to ensure I wouldn’t do more harm than good for my team being out there, I probably would not play...especially if I was seriously considering leaving.

If they lose without me, that would prove they need me and I might consider staying more than I would have before. If they win without me all my haters who said the Warriors never needed me to begin with would be justified, and that would suck, but don’t think I should risk my career and hurting my team over what some haters think of me.

Maybe see how games 1 and 2 go and if the Warriors are really struggling and desperately need whatever help they can get, me at 60% may be better than nothing though.
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#3 » by -G- » Mon May 27, 2019 2:17 am

If I'm healthy enough to play, I'm playing. This is what I'm playing for, a ring. All this talk about narratives is crazy and has nothing to do with my health. I don't care what the series is at, if I can go, I'm playing.
trix17
Sophomore
And1: 172

Post#4 » by trix17 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:11 am

Pretty simple in my eyes, this is the peak of your sport. If the doc clears you, you play. He's got a strained calf muscle... even if he re-injures it he's not losing his long term health or a big long contract. Calf strains or tears are not career altering injuries.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#5 » by T-d0t » Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 am

He gets that big contract whether he plays in the Finals or not.

I would play if I'm Durant because people are going to talk **** regardless
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#6 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Mon May 27, 2019 3:28 am

You have to understand that these guys are human beings that live and breathe the game of basketball. They never would have become successful players if they weren't psychotically obsessed with putting that ball in the basket, challenging their peers, and winning at all costs.

This isn't the internet. This isn't NBA 2k. You can't just look at numbers and think about everything with a reckless pursuit of efficiency. There is a human element here that cannot be quantified.

It's like people telling Zion to sit out the NCAA tournament. Hey, why doesn't Zion just sit out the first 4 years of his deal so he doesn't risk injury and just gets the super max?

That's not how this works.

Kevin Durant WANTS to win. He WANTS to play basketball. If he isn't healthy enough to play, he shouldn't play. If he is, then he will do anything he can to get on that court and nobody should be able to convince him otherwise.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#7 » by Mister Ze » Mon May 27, 2019 3:31 am

I think he'll return cause his injury wasn't serious.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#8 » by Optms » Mon May 27, 2019 3:32 am

If he doesn't play and Dubs win the chip, he'll never hear the end of it. And frankly, the critics would be right.

His only option is to play so the few who actually like KD can say "Oh look the Dubs needed KD to beat the Raptors" when in reality, we all know the Dubs as is will still beat the Raptors. Just like they destroyed the Rockets and Blazers.

The Dubs without KD are actually impossible to guard for a full 48. KD is only a luxury in close games with under 1 minute. GS doesn't need him.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,927

Post#9 » by Joshyjess » Mon May 27, 2019 4:28 am

If I were Durant, I would simply say "Try and stop me!!!" Of course I'd play. This is the NBA Finals. There is no basketball game in the world more important than this. This is what they play the game for - to go to the finals. Why on earth would you possibly NOT play? There is just as much chance of injuring yourself during a practice as there is in playing a game. You don't worry about what Might possibly happen. You play because that is what you are - a basketball player, with a chance to play in the biggest game in the world.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,787

Post#10 » by floppymoose » Mon May 27, 2019 4:32 am

What a weird thread. No one is talking KD out of playing if he is able.
Modulate
Rookie
And1: 1,407

Post#11 » by Modulate » Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 am

LMFAO. Of course. What the hell are you talking about?

This is legitimately one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen on this board. And that's saying a lot. Goddamn, man.

Congratulations.
Krazykiwi
Senior
And1: 551

Post#12 » by Krazykiwi » Mon May 27, 2019 4:38 am

Optms wrote:If he doesn't play and Dubs win the chip, he'll never hear the end of it. And frankly, the critics would be right.

His only option is to play so the few who actually like KD can say "Oh look the Dubs needed KD to beat the Raptors" when in reality, we all know the Dubs as is will still beat the Raptors. Just like they destroyed the Rockets and Blazers.

The Dubs without KD are actually impossible to guard for a full 48. KD is only a luxury in close games with under 1 minute. GS doesn't need him.

You are crazy. Without Kd, warriors lose this series. Curry needs Kd far more than Kd needs him in the finals .
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#13 » by Sulico » Mon May 27, 2019 4:56 am

Deadpool Raptor wrote:...if you were Kevin Durant?

If I was Durant's people I would talk him out of it. Why risk a career threatening injury? He's already won with this team and if he does take a serious injury he's missing out on signing a huge long term deal that will take him into his 30s.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/kevin-durant-wants-much-money-i-can-next-free-agency-contract%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjM-8PExrriAhWy1lkKHcgCBnIQFjAOegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1DbRPESfnGILxWAMGeiWRn&ampcf=1

Hold on, you as one of Durant's people want Raptors to win a championship? Why?
Strained calf = career threatening injury?
How does he missing on huge contract? Do you realize that Knicks will pay him max if his leg got amputated?
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#14 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon May 27, 2019 5:26 am

Already known as a cupcake, Kevin Durant proceeds to sit out the NBA frickin' Finals with a...strained calf. That would be great for the ole rep.
likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

Post#15 » by likemycurryhot » Mon May 27, 2019 5:44 am

The guy lives to hoop. No matter what else you may think of him he loves to play and is clearly desperate to elevate his legacy. Why would he sit out if he’s healthy enough to play? Strange thread.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#16 » by Lalouie » Mon May 27, 2019 7:54 am

Deadpool Raptor wrote:...if you were Kevin Durant?

i haven't heard that this was a career ending injury. it's a calf injury that requires time to heal
and
players play
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#17 » by TimRobbins » Mon May 27, 2019 8:24 am

If he's healthy enough to go he should go. It's a calf injury. Shouldn't hurt him long-term.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#18 » by spacemonkey » Mon May 27, 2019 8:26 am

I can't even imagine KD sitting out if he's cleared by medical.

What player would even do that in the finals?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,456

Post#19 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:29 am

Who cares about rep, money...whatever. What even simi competitive person takes off a freaking nba finals?
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#20 » by JN61 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:16 am

He will get money regardless. It's more about how he feels and can perform on the court.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.

Return to The General Board