No, happy to have both for the future
20%

Total votes: 50

Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,538

Trade Ben/Joel for Kawhii Leonard 

Post#1 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Mon May 27, 2019 4:23 pm

It was reported that the Spurs requested either Ben or Joel to trade Kawhii to the Sixers.
Knowing what you know now about Kawhii actual health, but not knowing if he would resign or not, would you go back and pull the trigger?
Слава Украине!
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Re: Trade Ben/Joel for Kawhii Leonard 

Post#2 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon May 27, 2019 4:40 pm

It is hard, Raptors knew they had no chance at a championship with the core they had, and Derozan had already peaked, there was no improvement path, so they got a likely rental for a chance at a championship. On the other hand, Simmons was a rookie and was too soon to know how much he could improve. You could get a likely rental for a chance at a championship, but also you could miss a longer window on a sustained exellence if Simmons was the next big thing in the future.
In hindsight, I would do it for Simmons. I don't see a hard worker kid who wants it enough to take the next step, but last season was too soon to know all this.
Horrible takes since 2016
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#3 » by VDT » Mon May 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Yea it was a big gamble that was easier for a team like the Raptors, who was going nowhere, to make than the Sixers.

On the other hand and in hindsight trading Simmons for Kawhi would get us to the finals and possible be the favorites for the title.

Based on that i would probably have made the trade, again in hindsight.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#4 » by James40 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:38 pm

If you have good info on Kawhi’s health then you trade Ben in a heart beat. If not, then neither.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,040

Post#5 » by Sixerscan » Mon May 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Curious if there’s a direct correlation between people that didn’t become fans of the team until recently and being ok with giving up basically an entire career of a young star for maybe one year of a guy.

I wouldn’t trade either.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#6 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 27, 2019 7:00 pm

This is what I wrote yesterday in another thread:

People keep saying the Kawhi trade has been vindicated with the Raps reaching the finals. Frankly, they gave up a top 20 protected pick and Derozon, who they were going nowhere with. It was worth the gamble either way to get him and Green for such little value.

However, if you give up Ben Simmons (much more value to me than Derozon and a top 20 prot first), and Kawhi walks without us winning a championship, it would be a disaster. I’m not giving up Ben to get beat in the finals. If I’m giving up Ben, I need a championship this year or Kawhi to re-sign for it to be a good trade. Saying we could be where the Raps are doesn’t excite me. I wouldn’t mortgage the future to come in second.

With that being said, Kawhi has looked so good coming back from the injury, that I think we could have had a legit shot at winning. In hindsight, I’d prob do the deal because Kawhi has come back better than ever, but I thought the price of Ben was too high for the risk, but the price Toronto paid was a no-brainer.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#7 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 pm

VDT wrote:Yea it was a big gamble that was easier for a team like the Raptors, who was going nowhere, to make than the Sixers.

On the other hand and in hindsight trading Simmons for Kawhi would get us to the finals and possible be the favorites for the title.

Based on that i would probably have made the trade, again in hindsight.

I agree, but then I remember how good the Warriors really are, and not sure what our roster would have ultimately been. Do we still get Jimmy? Do we get Danny Green? Do we still have Shameet or do we get Tobias?

The price for the Sixers was really high because they only had two blue chip pieces and not much other win now talent. Conversely, Toronto gave up a similar aged player, who just isn’t as good as Kawhi. Easy decision for them.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Trade Ben/Joel for Kawhii Leonard 

Post#8 » by kio80 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:10 am

In hindsight, I would trade Embiid in a heartbeat. Embiid’s health was worse than what kawhi could ever be.
I will probably hold simmons as kwahi can hit the 3 and won’t clog the lane.
Deadly and extremely fast small ball squad.
With Jimmy and kawhi at the wing, and Simmons’s speed bringing up the ball up, JJ as back up and Tobias as a stretch 4. This is Bucks team on steroids.
When does 6er fans realize there’s no room for a slow 7 footer anymore in the league? Let alone building a team around him....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#9 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:25 am

I’d trade either in a heart beat....if kawhi resigns. It’s not even a question if you can get Kawhi 3+ years. He’s an unquestioned top 5 player in the NBA, neither Jo or Ben are that.

If it’s sell our soul for 1 year of Kawhi? Ehh it’s tough. I’d probably trade Ben, but not mad that it didn’t happen either.

Still think the Spurs went the wrong route. They took the easy route because they are worried about possibly missing the playoffs for a year or 2. Instead, they’ll be stuck in purgatory of no shot of making it past the 2nd round of the playoffs with Derozan.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#10 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 am

I still think Kawhi is setting on heading to LA, so I voted no.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#11 » by Simmons25 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:45 am

In hindsight we should have tanked for Michael Jordan way back when.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#12 » by Simmons25 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:56 am

If Kawhi was traded... then Jimmy and Tobias probably wouldn't have been. That means a team with Kawhi and Embiid as its 2 main stars... both injury prone... both being injury managed in the 2nd half of the season. Hardly the recipe for success.

Embiid played less than half the regular season games after the all-star break. Kawhi missed like 25-30% of games post the all-star break. Team would have been lucky to have finished in the top 6.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#13 » by James40 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:13 am

Simmons25 wrote:In hindsight we should have tanked for Michael Jordan way back when.

Jordan went 3rd, Barkley went 5th. Sixers also took Leon Wood 10th, while Stockton was sitting there.

Leon Wood just celebrated 22 years as an NBA referee, shows how that pick worked out. Sound about right for the Sixers.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#14 » by 76ciology » Tue May 28, 2019 6:48 am

I didnt say no (ben for kawhi) the first time i heard it.

Next train coming is Ben for AD. It’s another “go” for me.

I just don't see Ben being a top 10 player in the league. Offensively, i find his shooting to be below base rate for star wings. Defensively, he doesnt have the motor to be an all defensive team player.

And as a fan of this team than being a fan of a particular player, i dont think he is a good fit with Biid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#15 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 am

76ciology wrote:I didnt say no (ben for kawhi) the first time i heard it.

Next train coming is Ben for AD. It’s another “go” for me.

I just don't see Ben being a top 10 player in the league. Offensively, i find his shooting to be below base rate for star wings. Defensively, he doesnt have the motor to be an all defensive team player.

And as a fan of this team than being a fan of a particular player, i dont think he is a good fit with Biid.

I can understand fans being hesistant about trading rookie Simmons, his potential was and still is, ridiculous. But at some point, one wants to see some of that potential being realized, you can't keep preaching "he is only 22 years old", "He will improve", he has to show something to believe he will improve, right now I see nothing.
Horrible takes since 2016
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,731

Post#16 » by Mik317 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Hindsight is 20/20.

Kawhii was and probably still is a flight risk. This was prior to Ben's second season ffs. And we still don't know what the actual deal was.

Ben may never ever improve but I think giving him one more summer to show some progress is not this weird concept many are making it out to be.

then again this is all self fufilling prophecy for many of his critics.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#17 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue May 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Kawhi is still a flight risk. I think we did the right thing not trading for him (unless they wanted Fultz).

I'd rather take my chances on Ben improving over the next several seasons than risk being left with nothing.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#18 » by kriss73 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:38 pm

For one year of Kawhi?
Really? What's wrong with you, guys?
:-)
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Post#19 » by Stanford » Tue May 28, 2019 11:42 pm

lol I still can't answer this. I would have traded Ben if we had any idea that Kawhi would stay, but we don't even know if he's staying in Toronto at this point. I think I'd still say no.

Bum Adebayo wrote:It is hard, Raptors knew they had no chance at a championship with the core they had, and Derozan had already peaked, there was no improvement path, so they got a likely rental for a chance at a championship.

Good point. It made a lot more sense for Toronto than us.
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#20 » by thenbaman » Wed May 29, 2019 1:35 am

Our team is just fine as is,we will be in the nba finals next year,it was just a lucky
**** bounce that put us out we are better than any eastern conf.team.Just have to
keep this team together.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers