Bill Buckner Dies At 69 After Battling Dementia

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Bill Buckner Dies At 69 After Battling Dementia 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Bill Buckner, the longtime major leaguer whose error in the 1986 World Series for years lived in Red Sox infamy, died Monday.

\"After battling the disease of Lewy Body Dementia, Bill Buckner passed away early the morning of May 27th surrounded by his family,\" his family said in a statement. \"Bill fought with courage and grit as he did all things in life. Our hearts are broken but we are at peace knowing he is in the arms of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.\"

He was 69.

Via espn.com

watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Re: Bill Buckner Dies At 69 After Battling Dementia 

Post#2 » by watpho71 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:45 am

I must acknowledge Billy Buck's truly remarkable baseball career as one of the toughest hitters from his generation. For a guy with over 10,000 career at bats, the man never struck out 40 times in an entire season. He won a batting title in 1980 and compiled over 2700 career hits. Unfortunately, he played through multiple injuries much of his career.

I was fortunate to see him play a few games at Wrigley. I have this random photo of Buckner chatting it up behind the batting cage with then teammate Bobby Bonds and Joe Morgan (SF Giants).

RIP William Joseph Buckner.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 515

Re: Bill Buckner Dies At 69 After Battling Dementia 

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm

watpho71 wrote:I must acknowledge Billy Buck's truly remarkable baseball career as one of the toughest hitters from his generation. For a guy with over 10,000 career at bats, the man never struck out 40 times in an entire season. He won a batting title in 1980 and compiled over 2700 career hits. Unfortunately, he played through multiple injuries much of his career.

I was fortunate to see him play a few games at Wrigley. I have this random photo of Buckner chatting it up behind the batting cage with then teammate Bobby Bonds and Joe Morgan (SF Giants).

RIP William Joseph Buckner.

A truly great player who unfortunately is remembered for what he didn't do than what he did do. It was disheartening to see ESPN report his passing, only to follow it up with his infamous error from the '86 WS. Billy deserves better than that.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion