ImageImageImageImageImage

Luke Walton to be hired as Sacramento's new head coach

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Luke Walton to be hired as Sacramento's new head coach 

Post#61 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed May 1, 2019 8:18 pm

BoogieTime wrote:At least Messina could still be there if at the end of this joint Kings/NBA Luke is let go. I don’t think any other team has seriously reached out. Shocked at some of these candidates out here. Monty Williams? After his lovely first stint?

Joerger getting no play. The guys over at Sacrownroyalty thought he was a hot commodity. It will be a minute for him. I didn’t want him fired, but his name is a bit tainted from being unceremoniously dropped

Teams might be leery of Messina due to his supposed dicator coaching style.

This is the 2nd time Joerger has had a run in with his front office. It was known what happened with the Grizz when the Kings signed him, but after this stint it has been confirmed that this is a pattern right or wrong. Also, there was no dash to Joerger outside of the Kings anyway. Same with Walton now. It wasn't like teams were lining up for either of them. Vlade set out on a person he thought would fit and went after it. After Walton wasn't an option last time he moved on to Joerger.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#62 » by BoogieTime » Tue May 7, 2019 9:22 pm

Cavs interviewing Messina...

Could be college names if this Kings/NBA investigation comes out wrong
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#63 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 9, 2019 6:13 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Cavs interviewing Messina...

Sounds like Messina is more of the same as Joerger. Hard headed, my way or the highway, doesn't mesh well with players.

I don't think he was a serious candidate for us and more of just a typical name throw out. Walton should be fine, this case is a joke. But even if it goes south, I think we look at other options.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#64 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 9, 2019 8:15 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Cavs interviewing Messina...

Sounds like Messina is more of the same as Joerger. Hard headed, my way or the highway, doesn't mesh well with players.

I don't think he was a serious candidate for us and more of just a typical name throw out. Walton should be fine, this case is a joke. But even if it goes south, I think we look at other options.

Yes, Messina is a hard head, no nonsense type like Joerger. I think this goes in to what type of job you think Joerger did and why he was fired. I think Joerger did a good job, hence the league wide questionable response to his firing and the 12-13 game improvement, and was fired because of his personal relationships deteriorating with the players/FO and maybe some game plan secondarily. I don’t know if it’s necessarily because he was a hard head. Hard heads IMO can make some of the best coaches, and the trick might be getting a hard head who will have good relationships with players/FO. Messina is known as a tactician too, so he may be better x’s ans o’s

We’ll see how it goes with Luke, it will be interesting
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#65 » by BoogieTime » Sun May 12, 2019 4:30 am

I’m leaving any bias out of this, even though Luke wasn’t my personal choice, but I’m not sure the chances that this comes back clean. The victim seems credible whenever I watch film of the interview. I feel bad that a mans career is in the balance though. I personally feel though, without bias on who I want coaching, that he won’t be the next coach as they may find some culpability on some level. Will be interesting how it turns out, and if the Kings would be on the hook financially if my suspicions come to light. Will be interesting how long the process takes
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#66 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Do we have any update on this? Just want this story put behind us.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#67 » by dckingsfan » Wed May 22, 2019 8:08 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Do we have any update on this? Just want this story put behind us.

My question is the same - guessing they will be very quiet on this until they reach a conclusion.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#68 » by BoogieTime » Sun May 26, 2019 1:13 am

Maybe it will take a few more weeks, because they will probably want to have the coach of the future in place for draft/FA/Summer league? Or maybe not
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 149

Post#69 » by Lost in LA » Tue May 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Was there a reason given by the plaintiff as to why this issue which happened a few years ago, was not brought forward until now?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#70 » by kalenclayton » Wed May 29, 2019 12:44 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#71 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 30, 2019 12:38 am

Hate to bring race but Roy Rana of Indian descent and not being around the NBA or coaching higher levels yet? Canada junior teams? Going to assume the inspiration is strictly resume’, and it looks like he did do a good job with Canada

Also, assistants being hired seems to mean Walton is not being let go soon
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by kalenclayton » Thu May 30, 2019 5:09 am

BoogieTime wrote:Hate to bring race but Roy Rana of Indian descent and not being around the NBA yet? Going to assume the inspiration is strictly resume’, and it looks like he did do a good job with Canada

I’m so confused as to why this was brought up at all? Resume?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#73 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 30, 2019 5:32 am

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Hate to bring race but Roy Rana of Indian descent and not being around the NBA yet? Going to assume the inspiration is strictly resume’, and it looks like he did do a good job with Canada

It’s suspicious that a coach of Indian descent, without NBA/NCAA experience, whose main coaching is junior national teams, is making this jump now, for me personally. What do you think i mean by that? Vivek has been hands on in the past
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#74 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 30, 2019 6:09 am

I guess Jeff “Horny” Hornacek is out? I guess the drama may have spooked him. I thought he was a qualified name, that could step in in a pinch. Maybe he will still be added
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by kalenclayton » Thu May 30, 2019 6:11 am

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Why would it not be? Do you know what I’m talking about? It’s very suspicious that a coach of Indian descent, without NBA/NCAA experience, whose main coaching is junior national teams, is making this jump now, for me personally. What do you think i mean by that?

I had no idea what you meant. I still don’t know why it matters. Who cares if he is of Indian descent? What, just because the Kings majority owner is of Indian descent, that leads to the conspiracy of why Rana had to get hired? Does it really matter? Like, at all? It would be suspicious if a guy who got hired, regardless of ethnicity, didn’t have any basketball experience. Now that would would be something. But to say that it’s suspicious that a basketball mind from Canada got hired by the Kings with no NBA/NCAA experience because he is of Indian descent... is weird.

I don’t know much about the guy other than the fact that plenty of national and international basketball media guys vouched for him. Why does race have mean anything with this? I just don’t understand. This guy is apparently very well respected. Here are just a few of the tweets:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#76 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 am

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I’m so confused as to why this was brought up at all? Resume?

Why would it not be? Do you know what I’m talking about? It’s very suspicious that a coach of Indian descent, without NBA/NCAA experience, whose main coaching is junior national teams, is making this jump now, for me personally. What do you think i mean by that?

I had no idea what you meant. I still don’t know why it matters. Who cares if he is of Indian descent? What, just because the Kings majority owner is of Indian descent, that leads to the conspiracy of why Rana had to get hired? Does it really matter? Like, at all? It would be suspicious if a guy who got hired, regardless of ethnicity, didn’t have any basketball experience. Now that would would be something. But to say that it’s suspicious that a basketball mind from Canada got hired by the Kings with no NBA/NCAA experience because he is of Indian descent... is weird.

I don’t know much about the guy other than the fact that plenty of national and international basketball media guys vouched for him. Why does race have mean anything with this? I just don’t understand. This guy is apparently very well respected. Here are just a few of the tweets:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yes, it matters if he was hired because he’s Indian. It would strike me as unethical and an ethnocentric move by our owner. I still feel, personally, there is a link between his ethnic background, and Vivek and Vivek’s Indian expansion etc just because of the odds of how many coaches of Indian origin there are. Bhullar was on the team too, for instance for marketing?But I started off the conversation saying going to assume it was based on resume’ (his merits). If he was, it’s all good. And those tweets make me feel better than a cursory look at his Wikipedia that he is deserving of consideration. So hope he does well here
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by kalenclayton » Thu May 30, 2019 6:40 am

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yes, it matters if he was hired because he’s Indian. It would strike me as unethical and an ethnocentric move by our owner. I still feel, personally, there is a link between his ethnic background, and Vivek and Vivek’s Indian expansion etc just because of the odds of how many coaches of Indian origin there are. But I started off the conversation saying going to assume it was based on resume’ (his merits). If he was, it’s all good. And those tweets make me feel better than a cursory look at his Wikipedia that he is deserving of consideration. So hope he does well here

Based on the overwhelming reception that the Kings got for the hire, I’m going to assume that he was hired for basketball reasons.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#78 » by sacking123 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 am

I’m with Boogie on this one. I hope it’s wrong, but it smells of Vivek.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#79 » by City of Trees » Sat Jun 1, 2019 4:02 am

Rana has been a guest coach for the Spurs and Jazz. That tells me NBA teams know him and respect him.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#80 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jun 1, 2019 5:12 am

City of Trees wrote:Rana has been a guest coach for the Spurs and Jazz. That tells me NBA teams know him and respect him.

I’m hearing good things about him. I didn’t mean to imply the Kings were hiring a dunce, or someone who won’t help the team succeed, but in terms of what levels he has participated in as a coach initially caught my eye. But, there are other forums other than coaching that these guys attain respect and get their name out, as I’m learning

I’m reading on twitter though that many people believe him to be the first Indian origin assistant coach. Which is nice that he’s breaking down barriers. But the first Indian origin assistant coach was hired by, the NBA team with the only Indian owner, out of 30 teams.

It can be both. He can be talented, and, possibly, a certain “favoritism” could’ve come into play. Ethically it still rubs me personally a tad wrong if so.

But it doesn’t do much to continue to rehash it. He does seem talented, I have no concerns he will do his thing sufficiently as an assistant

Return to Sacramento Kings