RJ Hampton Forgoes College, Signs With New Zealand Breakers Of NBL

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

RJ Hampton Forgoes College, Signs With New Zealand Breakers Of NBL 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 28, 2019 2:42 pm

RJ Hampton has signed a contract with the New Zealand Breakers of the Australian National Basketball League.

Hampton is the No. 5 prospect in the class of 2019. Hampton's decision comes as a surprise after he cut his college recruitment list in recent days to Kansas, Memphis and Texas Tech. He had also previously considered scholarship offers from Duke, Kentucky and others.

Hampton becomes the first American player to willingly forgo college for playing international basketball, unlike players such as Brandon Jennings, Emmanuel Mudiay and Terrance Ferguson, who signed overseas amid concerns regarding their academic or amateur status.

"My No. 1 goal is to play in the NBA," Hampton told ESPN. "I wanted to be an NBA player before I ever wanted to be a college player. This is about getting ready for the next level faster and more efficiently.

"Both of my parents went to college. My mom got her master's degree. Education is a big thing in our family, but this is about focusing 100 percent on basketball. You can always go back to college, but there's only a short window as an athlete where you can play professional basketball, and I want to take advantage of that. I think that challenging yourself on a daily basis is the best way to improve."

Via Jonathan Givony/ESPN

pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: RJ Hampton Forgoes College, Signs With New Zealand Breakers Of NBL 

Post#2 » by pickIBL » Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Smart young man
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Airmax3D
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#3 » by Airmax3D » Tue May 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Why New Zealand though? The Euroleague is the second best league in the world, why not sign there?
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Tue May 28, 2019 7:23 pm

Airmax3D wrote:Why New Zealand though? The Euroleague is the second best league in the world, why not sign there?
Could be playing time, money, lack of offers from the big clubs, location, who knows. Good job, he can go to college at any point.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 642

Post#5 » by Pipp33 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:33 pm

tigerae wrote:
Airmax3D wrote:Why New Zealand though? The Euroleague is the second best league in the world, why not sign there?
Could be playing time, money, lack of offers from the big clubs, location, who knows. Good job, he can go to college at any point.

The New Zealand team is part of the Australian National Competition, the NBL. The league has a "Next Stars" development system in place for players that will be eligible to declare for the NBA Draft. The NBL contracts the players, not the individual team, so teams are not paying for the players out of there own pockets. This is a direct push by the league to gain bigger notoriety and reputation.

It is also easier for the young players to come to Australia/New Zealand because there is no language barriers and the cultures are somewhat similar to the US. The NBL in the last few seasons has taken big steps forward and is a very solid competition now
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team

Return to Wiretap Discussion