ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft team needs

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Draft team needs 

Post#61 » by Mylie10 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:05 am

Dortz would be a terrible pick for us. Watched him quite a bit. Poor shooter, terrible shot selection. Should have been a football player instead of basketball. No thanks
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#62 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Dortz would be a terrible pick for us. Watched him quite a bit. Poor shooter, terrible shot selection. Should have been a football player instead of basketball. No thanks

Dort would be a different kind of offensive player for the Warriors true, but that's not always a bad thing. He'd come off the bench and have a reasonable shot of drawing fouls and using that to soften the defense up for the whole team. He's also a good defender and rebounder. His shooting form is not good, that said he should develop into a better shooter than Iguodala and Iguodala is certainly a functional NBA player.

There isn't really an ideal player at the end of the 1st round, Dort has enough game to contribute.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#63 » by Mylie10 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:39 pm

I think Dort is crap, and I think some have fallen in love with his muscles. I don't think he fits us at all. He's not skilled. we need skill. I think he'd be in Santa Cruz.

You said there isn't an ideal fit, ok, but there are some very good fits for us.

Ty Jerome - 6'5" PG....extremely skilled, great passer, good shooter, big hot maker, and good team defender. = Great fit.

Mattise Thybulle - 6'5" or 6'6"....long wing defender. Probably the best wing defender in the draft. Good looking shot, but not great results there yet. But his head of the snake defense fits like a glove when you think about Iguodala and Livingston eventually retiring.

Cam Johnson - 6'9" - Very polished scorer with good small forward size. Would be a really good scorer for our bench. Would play right away, and has a good all around game.

Admiral Schoefield - Big and strong for a wing. Pretty good 3 point shooter. Reminds me of Jae Crowder. Great competitor.

Grant Williams - Big strong skilled. Not a tall dude, but gets it done. Will only get better. We don't really need another power forward, but he'd fit in well.

Jalen McDaniels - This would be a bit of a reach, but the kid is so athletic and active. Almost to active. But hes a 6'10: small forward who's body reminds you of KD. Lots of upside.

That's some guys who would be way better picks than Dort. I would be pissed if we grabbed Dort, it would be a mistake.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:43 pm

I listed a lot of guys who I thought would work. I agree with you on your list ... all except McDaniels were on my list.

I don't care about Dort's muscles, but he's a driving and foul drawing player which is something the Warriors are lacking. He plays good D, is a decent shooter, is a good passer. He also has something that is undervalued by a lot of people in the draft, particularly for players coming to the Warriors, he's REALLY confident. I like the fact that he thinks he's great and that he takes bad shots at times. Too often players come to the Warriors and are afraid to shoot because there are all-nba players around them. Also, he was nowhere near the top of my list, but you jumped on him so I'm just trying to explain my thinking. I'd rather have Thybulle or Williams.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Just watching the Ringer mock draft show from today ... they had Grant Williams going to the Heat at 13.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:01 pm

Ringer Mock had Thybulle to the Nets at 17. That's an odd choice to me since they have too many players that size already.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:54 pm

Ringer Mock has Claxton 23 to Utah, Porter 24, Dort 25, Windler 27, Carsen Edwards to the Warriors, Jalen McDaniels at 29 to Spurs
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#68 » by wco81 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:56 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I really want Matisse Thybulle but I fear he'll be taken before we can grab him. Ty Jerome is good and fits in a different way.

As usual there is little consensus below around pick 15, and I've seen Thybulle as high as 17 and as low as 33. Kevin Porter I've seen up in the top 10 and in the 2nd round, but I doubt he makes it to 28 and he may be too much of a head case for the Warriors. I've seen Brandon Clarke as low as 29 and he'd be a good pickup too. Ty Jerome, Grant Williams, Bruno Fernando, Cam Johnson, KZ Okpala, Luguentz Dort, Nic Claxton, Talen Horton-Tucker, Dylan Windler, Admiral Schofield, etc. There are a lot of players out there that could help the Warriors.

If you look at the mock drafts forum, a lot of players have shifted around over the past year. Especially after the NCAA tournament too.

Apparently Schlenk said that this draft doesn't have as many high-ceiling players at the top of the draft as the 2018 draft but it may be deeper.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:31 pm

wco81 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I really want Matisse Thybulle but I fear he'll be taken before we can grab him. Ty Jerome is good and fits in a different way.

As usual there is little consensus below around pick 15, and I've seen Thybulle as high as 17 and as low as 33. Kevin Porter I've seen up in the top 10 and in the 2nd round, but I doubt he makes it to 28 and he may be too much of a head case for the Warriors. I've seen Brandon Clarke as low as 29 and he'd be a good pickup too. Ty Jerome, Grant Williams, Bruno Fernando, Cam Johnson, KZ Okpala, Luguentz Dort, Nic Claxton, Talen Horton-Tucker, Dylan Windler, Admiral Schofield, etc. There are a lot of players out there that could help the Warriors.

If you look at the mock drafts forum, a lot of players have shifted around over the past year. Especially after the NCAA tournament too.

Apparently Schlenk said that this draft doesn't have as many high-ceiling players at the top of the draft as the 2018 draft but it may be deeper.

From my take this draft has VERY limited quality size, but the middle of the draft is much wider and flatter than last year ... so I guess a similar thing to Schlenk ... but after around 40 there are few obvious NBA players left which is fairly similar to last year.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:25 am

All the Warriors prospect visits I've been able to find:

Luguentz Dort
Kyle Allman Jr
Chris Clemons
Terrence Davis
Mamadi Diakite
Ky Bowman
Grant Williams
Admiral Schofield
Shamorie Ponds
Frankie Ferrari
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#71 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 3:47 am

Let's just draft Jalen McDaniels and call it a day
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 8:46 pm

Should Chuma Okeke be in consideration? ACL in the tournament so he's not going to be 100% for training camp. There is also Jontay Porter with 2 ACLs on the same knee, but if he had no injuries and he's a lottery pick, possibly high lottery.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 1:18 am

I've seen a few mocks sending Carsen Edwards to the Warriors ... he'd certainly be interesting. A more explosive (shorter/heavier) Leandro Barbosa with long arms. and that isn't bad for a 2nd unit replacement for Livingston.

Jalen McDaniels has all the tools except between the ears. Maybe the Warriors would wake him up, but that's a risk considering nobody else has.

Chuma Okeke's also not a mental wizard so, considering what the Warriors look for, he seems unlikely.

Add to the workout list: Frankie Ferrari
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#74 » by Mac1958 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 12:23 pm

I hope Frankie Ferrari gets drafted and sticks. That's an all-time great name right there.

Bruno Fernando, too. Pure gold.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#75 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 11:39 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I've seen a few mocks sending Carsen Edwards to the Warriors ... he'd certainly be interesting. A more explosive (shorter/heavier) Leandro Barbosa with long arms. and that isn't bad for a 2nd unit replacement for Livingston.

Jalen McDaniels has all the tools except between the ears. Maybe the Warriors would wake him up, but that's a risk considering nobody else has.

Chuma Okeke's also not a mental wizard so, considering what the Warriors look for, he seems unlikely.

Add to the workout list: Frankie Ferrari

I really like Carsen Edwards' toughness. He's a really good player, but he's barely 6 foot and length is something we really need to add in bringing in young guys.
Khoee wrote “
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 4:13 am

Mylie10 wrote:I really like Carsen Edwards' toughness. He's a really good player, but he's barely 6 foot and length is something we really need to add in bringing in young guys.

I agree ... one possible caveat is that his wingspan is 6'6.25" and standing reach is 7'11" from the combine measurements so he's longer than some of the 2 guards people are mocking to the Warriors. And in some ways he feels like the perfect 4th G.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#77 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:35 pm

After watching last nights game, i just want someone who in a similar situation next year, we can all be yelling, "why isn't Kerr putting in ____?!". Cause i didn't once think that about Jones or Evans last night. Yeah, still frustrated.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#78 » by superunknown » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:41 pm

a player that can contribute from the bench.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 454

Post#79 » by Swift21 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:33 am

Unless Cam Johnson slips I would just draft someone to stash overseas. We can't afford to have another roster spot wasted on a rookie that can't contribute right away.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#80 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:53 am

Swift21 wrote:Unless Cam Johnson slips I would just draft someone to stash overseas. We can't afford to have another roster spot wasted on a rookie that can't contribute right away.

Yeah I'm starting to wonder about that too.

Maybe it would be better to have a roster spot or two on vets who may have to sign prove-it one year deals.

At least then they could get some playing time and the coaches don't have to expend as much effort on their development, though guys on prove-it deals would need work to fit into the system and try to improve their weaknesses -- or else they wouldn't be on prove-it contracts.

There are a couple of wings, Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis Jefferson who are going to be RFAs but probably not going to be resigned by their current teams. Very flawed players so they may only get prove-it offers.

Their superior physically than many late first round picks so presumably they could play significant minutes.

Return to Golden State Warriors