ImageImage

Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3)

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,696

Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3) 

Post#1 » by durden_tyler » Thu May 23, 2019 1:48 am

Nice guy, even a nicer leader but everyone knows already that an absolute rebuild is necessary.

So what are our options? Trade him to a contender for future mid-first rounders? Trade him to a sucky team with a potential high draft pick next season/s?
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Trade Conley 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:25 am

durden_tyler wrote:Nice guy, even a nicer leader but everyone knows already that an absolute rebuild is necessary.

So what are our options? Trade him to a contender for future mid-first rounders? Trade him to a sucky team with a potential high draft pick next season/s?

Trade him to whoever offers the best package for him. If two deals are similarly good, you send him to whichever one is the better situation.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,696

Post#3 » by durden_tyler » Thu May 23, 2019 3:38 am

VCfor3 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Nice guy, even a nicer leader but everyone knows already that an absolute rebuild is necessary.

Trade him to whoever offers the best package for him. If two deals are similarly good, you send him to whichever one is the better situation.

It's about a given that the best package is indeed the way to go. Question was would you go for a quick rebuild (trade him for another star, different position to complement the young guys) or a long-term rebuild (trade him for a guaranteed high pick next season/s and we suck again for another 2-3 years).
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:51 am

durden_tyler wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

It's about a given that the best package is indeed the way to go. Question was would you go for a quick rebuild (trade him for another star, different position to complement the young guys) or a long-term rebuild (trade him for a guaranteed high pick next season/s and we suck again for another 2-3 years).

Ah my bad. I thought you were saying how do I feel about trading him to a contender for a mid first or a sucky team for a high first.

I don't know how picky we can really be unfortunately. But just to roll with your scenario, you are saying we are given say Gary Harris+Plumlee, Sabonis+Collison(S&T), Otto Porter+#32+2020 MEM 2nd, or Felicio+7(or 2020 CHI 1st) and have to choose? That's pretty tough. Harris and Sabonis (and Porter though he is a little older) are known commodities and really raise the floor of the team while bringing in experience. Pick #7 or the 2020 CHI 1st are guys that could really raise our ceiling. You get a chance at a star. There is no way to guarantee a high pick the next season (and no bad team is giving up an unprotected pick), but I think I'd go with the high pick right now and suck it up another couple years. If we were a little further along in the rebuild and had a more solid core then I would say get the young star at a different position to round out the team. But right now we can afford to swing for the fences to try and acquire high end stars locked up for nearly a decade and probably should. Be more conservative in a couple years when Ja/JJJ/high pick have been able to develop a little more and are ready to start competing.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,789

Post#5 » by RoyceDa59 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:18 pm

I think Conley has some trade value. Contract is a little rich but he's still a great scorer/shooter and floor general. I could see a team like LA Lakers or Denver Nuggets looking at a player like Conley.
Go Raps!!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 3:03 am

RoyceDa59 wrote:I think Conley has some trade value. Contract is a little rich but he's still a great scorer/shooter and floor general. I could see a team like LA Lakers or Denver Nuggets looking at a player like Conley.

The Lakers, Nuggets, Bulls and Magic are the teams that have been linked to MC11 over the last several months. Right now, the Grizzlies have some leverage on their side as far as the Lakers and Bulls are concern if both teams are lookingto make a move on MC11.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 4:25 am

SD2042 wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:I think Conley has some trade value. Contract is a little rich but he's still a great scorer/shooter and floor general. I could see a team like LA Lakers or Denver Nuggets looking at a player like Conley.

The Lakers, Nuggets, Bulls and Magic are the teams that have been linked to MC11 over the last several months. Right now, the Grizzlies have some leverage on their side as far as the Lakers and Bulls are concern if both teams are lookingto make a move on MC11.

Utah and Miami are the two teams with already reported interest and Detroit is likely to make an offer again since they made one at the deadline. The other teams SD mentioned along with Phoenix, Indy, Boston, and maybe the Knicks seem like teams that could potentially make an offer depending on how their situations play out. Knicks and Lakers not likely unless they strike out in FA. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. I seriously doubt he is on the roster to start the season next year.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:48 pm

Miami & Charlotte have reported interest in Paul because they could both potentially dump their unwanted contracts into his 40m & get a name PG for it with some court value. The monetary aspect of the trade could be cancelled out for these teams. Batum, Waiters etc.. Charlottes interest in dumping contracts for Paul shows their intent with Walker's contract status. Houston trading Paul & keeping a 30yo Harden, shows a need for a quality vet replacement! I suspect they will end up having interest in Conley, if they manage to trade Paul over his run in with Harden.

For Charlotte, instead of super maxing Kemba, they're able to dump 40m of their unwanted contracts into trading for Paul to replace Walker for the next 3yrs. They in essence drop 12m off their cap by letting Walker, walk to replace him by trading for Paul's 40m.

Memphis should have leverage on ready to win now teams once the PG FA drops. LA, Boston, NY & now potentially Houston with Conley being the 3rd best option behind Kyire & Kemba. At the very least, one ready to win now team will be somewhat desperate for Conley's services. I could see Boston choosing to do a quick retool, NY need incentive to attract Durant in FA, LA only have a 2-3yr window on this generations best player.

A team with a middling offer like Miami with the 13th pick & some unwanted contracts need to up their offer or Memphis should wait for the Kyrie shoe to drop, unless there's a player of interest that falls to 13 & they prefer to select him.

Draft day deal (Bam, 13th pick, R.Anaderosn, Waiters) for (Conley)

Memphis flip (Bam, Waiters, filler) to Minnesota for (Wiggins, #11, FRP)

The FRP is for eating 2-3yrs off WIggins contract. His speed, transition game could be a reclamation project with Ja pushing pace.

Draft - (Hayes or Bruno) at 11, (K.Johnson) at 13.

The deal is in essence (Conley, filler) for (Wiggins, Anderson, #11, #13, FRP)
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#9 » by DanishLakerFan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Laker fan here (and i come in peace).

If Lakers strike out in free agency (which seems quite possible) i think Conley could be potential trade target that would make sense for both the Lakers as well as Conley (if he wants to make a title run) and the Grizzlies who are rebuilding.

I'm thinking Conley for one of #4 pick and Brandon Ingram. I think BI is the best player and a perfect fit between JJJ and Morant (who i assume will be your pick). He's a FA next summer, but i'm not sure how much that actually matters. The #4 would make sense as well and someone like Jarrett Culver would also be an excellent fit.

Thoughts?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:58 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:Laker fan here (and i come in peace).

If Lakers strike out in free agency (which seems quite possible) i think Conley could be potential trade target that would make sense for both the Lakers as well as Conley (if he wants to make a title run) and the Grizzlies who are rebuilding.

I'm thinking Conley for one of #4 pick and Brandon Ingram. I think BI is the best player and a perfect fit between JJJ and Morant (who i assume will be your pick). He's a FA next summer, but i'm not sure how much that actually matters. The #4 would make sense as well and someone like Jarrett Culver would also be an excellent fit.

Thoughts?

I personally think Conley for #4 is a no brainer for Memphis.

Ingram for Conley is a good deal as well though the blood clot thing is worrisome. It sucks to have to pay Ingram after a year but I think he would likely be the best young player we could net.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Thoughts?

I've suggested this trade & think both parties benefit from it. I may be in the minority in thinking Conley is the better target & I understand FA helps LA retain their assets as well. That makes Conley IMO, an excellent plan B to striking out in FA.

Reasons -
- No past issues … Conley is a consummate teammate, potentially healthier locker room.
- Conley is a better defender
- Conley is more effective off ball than Kyrie, on both ends
- While Kyrie is the far better scorer, he's high usage, where Conley can run an offense & get buckets when needed. Provide Lebron with that secondary ball handler, playmaker without a need for the ball to be productive ..
- Conley shot 42% from 3 last year while LA's PG's (Ball/Rondo) struggled to help space the court. (Spacing) being IMO the main reason your team struggled, I don't think major changes are needed to find success. You just can't have Lebron kicking it out to Rondo, Ball & expect teams not to collapse the paint & either PG to not brick open shots ... I watched one game, where Rondo missed 7 open 3's in a row in a half. Ball is no better … Lebron needs better spacing & Conley clearly upgrades that issue.
- Conley's age & 2yr contract, mattters less with Lebron's 3 yr window, with less fuss & ego.

If thought healthy, Ingram would be the more valuable & preferred target.

However, I think the ideal trade for both teams, is the 4th pick because LA's needs to forego it's development to make the most of Lebron's time while Memphis is entering a rebuild. Though Ingram is still a young piece, he could help LA now apposed to the 4th. So he makes more sense for LA to retain if they miss out on Davis.

Conley is at the end of his career where he makes less sense in a rebuild but he's still a very productive vet that will produce in Lebron's 3yr contending window, his game IMO, fitting your team like a glove .. Trade Ball/Hart to Houston for Capella or to Heat for Bam...

Capella or Bam/ FA - Noah
Kuzma
Lebron
Ingram
Conley

With Lebron & Ingram on the wing, Lakers don't need a high usage guard, who's a liability defensively.

I think that team can win it all. Let Davis walk to LA next year, without giving up your assets. Knicks aren't a threat, especially now that Durant's future is in question & Davis agent already warned Boston he will walk if traded for ..
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

Thoughts?

I've suggested this trade & think both parties benefit from it. I may be in the minority in thinking Conley is the better target & I understand FA helps LA retain their assets as well. That makes Conley IMO, an excellent plan B to striking out in FA.

Reasons -
- No past issues … Conley is a consummate teammate, potentially healthier locker room.
- Conley is a better defender
- Conley is more effective off ball than Kyrie, on both ends
- While Kyrie is the far better scorer, he's high usage, where Conley can run an offense & get buckets when needed. Provide Lebron with that secondary ball handler, playmaker without a need for the ball to be productive ..
- Conley shot 42% from 3 last year while LA's PG's (Ball/Rondo) struggled to help space the court. (Spacing) being IMO the main reason your team struggled, I don't think major changes are needed to find success. You just can't have Lebron kicking it out to Rondo, Ball & expect teams not to collapse the paint & either PG to not brick open shots ... I watched one game, where Rondo missed 7 open 3's in a row in a half. Ball is no better … Lebron needs better spacing & Conley clearly upgrades that issue.
- Conley's age & 2yr contract, mattters less with Lebron's 3 yr window, with less fuss & ego.

If thought healthy, Ingram would be the more valuable & preferred target.

However, I think the ideal trade for both teams, is the 4th pick because LA's needs to forego it's development to make the most of Lebron's time while Memphis is entering a rebuild. Though Ingram is still a young piece, he could help LA now apposed to the 4th. So he makes more sense for LA to retain if they miss out on Davis.

Conley is at the end of his career where he makes less sense in a rebuild but he's still a very productive vet that will produce in Lebron's 3yr contending window, his game IMO, fitting your team like a glove .. Trade Ball/Hart to Houston for Capella or to Heat for Bam...

Capella or Bam/ FA - Noah
Kuzma
Lebron
Ingram
Conley

With Lebron & Ingram on the wing, Lakers don't need a high usage guard, who's a liability defensively.

I think that team can win it all. Let Davis walk to LA next year, without giving up your assets. Knicks aren't a threat, especially now that Durant's future is in question & Davis agent already warned Boston he will walk if traded for ..

If Conley for the 4th is what the Lakers are offering, then I would take it. I wouldn't mind taking on Ingram, but the blood clots are a serious concern.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#13 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Now that the AD trade is done, Conley may be the best player available on the trade market in a wide open West. Let the games begin!
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:19 am

SD2042 wrote: If Conley for the 4th is what the Lakers are offering, then I would take it. I wouldn't mind taking on Ingram, but the blood clots are a serious concern.

LA is off the list. No sooner did I make my post they gave up the kitchen sink for Davis. They have Kemba listed as their top FA priority, there's nothing left for trade ..

Ingram, Ball, Hart & 3 firsts, including the 4th pick.

Just the other day a rumor had Kemba taking less to win in Charlotte .. I would think for LA to give up all their assets, they must have some knowledge he would sign.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:34 am

Brad Turner
✔
@BA_Turner

Pelicans love idea of getting point guard like Lonzo Ball and will look into moving 4th overall pick they got from Lakers in the AD deal.

7:12 PM - Jun 15, 2019
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by SD2042 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:49 am

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote: If Conley for the 4th is what the Lakers are offering, then I would take it. I wouldn't mind taking on Ingram, but the blood clots are a serious concern.

LA is off the list. No sooner did I make my post they gave up the kitchen sink for Davis. They have Kemba listed as their top FA priority, there's nothing left for trade ..

Just the other day a rumor had Kemba taking less to win in Charlotte .. I would think for LA to give up all their assets, they must have some knowledge he would sign.

If I'm Kemba, I would leave Charlotte. Only two playoff appearances in his career. That's not enough for someone of his caliber. The move the Lakers made today will start the pendulum to swing in the west. I'm not going to say this Lakers team will become a major threat. Keep in mind, AD23 has his history of injuries and Hollywood James is on the wrong side of 33 now and has experience his first major injury. Who's to say what will happen to the Lakers once the team roster is finally shaped up.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#17 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:55 am

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

If I'm Kemba, I would leave Charlotte. Only two playoff appearances in his career. That's not enough for someone of his caliber. The move the Lakers made today will start the pendulum to swing in the west. I'm not going to say this Lakers team will become a major threat. Keep in mind, AD23 has his history of injuries and Hollywood James is on the wrong side of 33 now and has experience his first major injury. Who's to say what will happen to the Lakers once the team roster is finally shaped up.

I could be off, but isn't it like an $81m difference between going to LAL (assuming he doesn't have to take a pay cut) and staying in CHA on the max? Now he has to actually be offered that by Charlotte, but that's a pretty good reason to stay and chase a championship afterwards.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#18 » by SD2042 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:51 am

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

I could be off, but isn't it like an $81m difference between going to LAL (assuming he doesn't have to take a pay cut) and staying in CHA on the max? Now he has to actually be offered that by Charlotte, but that's a pretty good reason to stay and chase a championship afterwards.

As much money that Kemba can get if he the supermax in Charlotte, he's better off leaving for these reasons.

Kemba's upcoming contract will prevent the Hornets from acquiring better talent for their roster.

Kemba has been to the playoffs as a Hornets twice in his career.

Kemba needs a big change of pace to showcase his talents regardless if it's with the Lakers or another playoff team.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:12 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

I just saw the protection on the picks. If LA made this trade without knowing Kemba's intentions, move over Billy King .. I'm going to go out on a limb :D & state Walker to LA is a matter of when, not if.

2019 - #4
2021 - NO's pick, if top 8, if not, rolled over to unprotected in 2022
2023 - right to swap
2024 - unprotected

Kemba signed at 140 over 4yrs. Davis resigned next year is a Davis, Kemba core for risk protection on the picks owed. However, as you pointed out, Davis was injury prone in his youth more less with wear & tear in age ..

With Davis' agent telling Boston he'd be a definite rental & Durant going down to injury. LA were bidding against themselves. They should have stood firm or waited out the year if need be. As I alluded to above, they could have made smaller moves this year to contend & have Davis walk to their team next year without risking their future as far as 5yrs down the road.

This trade has massive potential to get real ugly for LA. They're potentially giving up 6 top 5 picks for a player that "would" walk to their team in a year.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:49 pm

If Beal is available.. No's can more than trade for him.

Ball, #4, one of LA's future picks maybe even a NO's FRP.

Zion/Okafor
Randall
Ingram
Beal
Jrue

It would be too funny if NO's turns out the better team between them & LA next year. Zion combined with Jrue at the very least should be a good 1-5 defensive combo. If they manage to land Beal, their backcourt will be able to fill the basket, effectively space the floor, to help advantage his athleticism.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies