ImageImageImage

Avery Johnson is interviewing for a job to be on brett brown coaching staff per woj

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Avery Johnson is interviewing for a job to be on brett brown coaching staff per woj 

Post#1 » by taj2133 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Re: Avery Johnson is interviewing for a job to be on brett brown coaching staff per woj 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:59 pm

I like him before but he started declining fast.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Re: Avery Johnson is interviewing for a job to be on brett brown coaching staff per woj 

Post#3 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 4, 2019 6:03 pm

Former head coach, defensive minded, Spurs tree. Makes sense. Pretty strong resume for an assistant, granted most of the big stuff happened a decade ago.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 723

Post#4 » by Lou_23 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 7:18 pm

Sixers interviewed him for the Head Coach position in 2010.

wow, time flies
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#5 » by phillynative » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:54 am

as long as he isn't stuck in the 90s and 2000s. He seem like he will be a switch up from Brett pertaining to him not being afraid to get on players
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#6 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:16 am

phillynative wrote:He seem like he will be a switch up from Brett pertaining to him not being afraid to get on players

What would give you that impression?

https://youtu.be/X8U-r_HWtoY

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#7 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:51 pm

Im good with this. I like that he continues to fill his vacancies with guys with experience (D'Antoni,O'Brien,Monty) on top of the younger coaches on the staff...creates a good balance IMO.

Avery likely see's this as a way to build himself back up to another NBA gig. Say what you want about Brett and his coaching, but this position has helped springboard several guys to head coaching gigs fairly quickly.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#8 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jun 5, 2019 10:05 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:Im good with this. I like that he continues to fill his vacancies with guys with experience (D'Antoni,O'Brien,Monty) on top of the younger coaches on the staff...creates a good balance IMO.

Avery likely see's this as a way to build himself back up to another NBA gig. Say what you want about Brett and his coaching, but this position has helped springboard several guys to head coaching gigs fairly quickly.
Lang (albeit college), Williams, Pierce, D'Antoni. That Assistant position has been fruitful for many. Avery is no dummy.

hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#9 » by hookshot199 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:16 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:Im good with this. I like that he continues to fill his vacancies with guys with experience (D'Antoni,O'Brien,Monty) on top of the younger coaches on the staff...creates a good balance IMO.

Lang (albeit college), Williams, Pierce, D'Antoni. That Assistant position has been fruitful for many. Avery is no dummy.

I am not against Avery. My concern is that we hire someone to help Brett with his Xs and Os
and who can step in mid-season if we're struggling and/or Brown isn't using or developing his
bench. I don't know if Avery's that person.

I like the decision on the medical staff IF IT MEANS Brand and Harris plan to take managing
Embiid's minutes, diet, etc. seriously. Which means: Brand will have to bring in a backup
center. Kyle O'Quinn and Robin Lopez are both out there. So are Noah and possibly Nerlens.
My preferences are O'Quinn and Lopez.

I'm expecting he will draft the next Landry Shamet.

But we can't go into the playoffs again with seven players the coach will play and then he
doesn't play two in the second half of a Game 7 we should have won.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers