ImageImageImageImageImage

NYK: Changing the Culture

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

NYK: Changing the Culture 

Post#1 » by rrosario35 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:49 pm

So I've been wondering, when Phil Jackson came on board there was all this talk about changing the culture of the team... It started to happen and Perry preached the same when he got here.
The teams culture definitely seems to have changed, the divas are gone, the drama is gone and I personally enjoyed watching the young kids and dreaming of the potential.
With the Summer quickly approaching I'm trying to figure out how things would look if Kyrie and KD came on board... I mean if KP was a diva, what's KD and KI going to be like? It's gonna be weird as f***.
So having said that... which top free agents do you think fit in best with the "culture" of this team... Still KD & Kyrie?

https://www.nba.com/freeagents/2019/tracker

Am I crazy for hoping Vince Carter gets a spot as the wise vet on the team?
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Re: NYK: Changing the Culture 

Post#2 » by DowNY » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:38 pm

KD + Kawhi.
In before the merge.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#3 » by DaGawd » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:39 pm

DowNY wrote:KD + Kawhi.
In before the merge.

Basically
BaF
Washington Wizards
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#4 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:53 pm

rrosario35 wrote:So I've been wondering, when Phil Jackson came on board there was all this talk about changing the culture of the team... It started to happen and Perry preached the same when he got here.
The teams culture definitely seems to have changed, the divas are gone, the drama is gone and I personally enjoyed watching the young kids and dreaming of the potential.
With the Summer quickly approaching I'm trying to figure out how things would look if Kyrie and KD came on board... I mean if KP was a diva, what's KD and KI going to be like? It's gonna be weird as f***.
So having said that... which top free agents do you think fit in best with the "culture" of this team... Still KD & Kyrie?

D-Lo and Brogdon would be good signings imo. Still quite young, would add shooting and playmaking to our team.

Russell / DSJ
Brogdon / Frank / Trier
Barrett or Culver / Dotson
TBD / Knox
Mitch

This line-up needs one more veteran at the 4 but this team would be quite exciting imo.

As I've said many times, KD and Kyrie will only bring drama and disappointment at the Garden. I've had enough of that personally.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#5 » by br7knicks » Wed Jun 5, 2019 3:12 pm

Eliminating the idea of Kyrie would be a start.

After that there are a slew of players who would help, positively.

Kawhi
Middleton
Butler
Hirfors
Brogdan
V Carter
Carroll
Dudley
Marv Williams
R Lopez
McConnell
Thad young
KOQ
Beverley
Rondo
T Chandler
Vonleh
D Jordan
Aminu
C Brewer
M gasol
D green
J lin
Rubio
Ariza

Who do Knicks have a chance for is the problem
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#6 » by Meat » Wed Jun 5, 2019 3:30 pm

rrosario35 wrote:So I've been wondering, when Phil Jackson came on board there was all this talk about changing the culture of the team... It started to happen and Perry preached the same when he got here.

you know what creates and changes culture? winning. Jordan was a massive piece of **** but no one talks about the bulls bad culture
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,448

Post#7 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:14 pm

There will always be drama with the NY Knicks. I'd worry about building a good team that fits together and making smart moves. Everything will fall into place if we do that.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#8 » by br7knicks » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:18 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

D-Lo and Brogdon would be good signings imo. Still quite young, would add shooting and playmaking to our team.

Russell / DSJ
Brogdon / Frank / Trier
TBD / Knox
Mitch

This line-up needs one more veteran at the 4 but this team would be quite exciting imo.

As I've said many times, KD and Kyrie will only bring drama and disappointment at the Garden. I've had enough of that personally.

I think Durant would be a problem for culture change, too.

Melo brought great scoring talent, but he also brought defensive liability, inability to change and adapt game to help the team win vs getting his own numbers and shots, poor leadership, and an incredible amount of difficulty to build around one player.

Durant is more of an off the court, mental problem tho.

Melo was a net negative, in that his negatives didn't make up for his positive in scoring. Is Durant that much of a negative for culture change, and is it worth it for the Knicks? That's a big question.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,448

Post#9 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:23 pm

Every GM that comes here talks about building culture. When Dolan first took over as owner he wanted to get rid of all the headaches and bad seeds. Ewing, Spree, Camby gone. Passed on Artest, max'd Houston and brought in good character players like Eisley, Weatherspoon, Shannon Andreson and Scott Layden. Everyone played hard, went to bed on time but we sucked ass and had one of the most boring teams ever. It was bad.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#10 » by Blockwatcher » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:29 pm

I’ll take winning with a bad culture
1 John 2 : 15-17
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#11 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:35 pm

I think you need other strong personalities around KD. If it’s just him here in nyc he would absolutely have an anxiety attack.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 573

Post#12 » by nyknicks2k2 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:53 pm

Most good to great teams have at least one "diva" or strong personality. I'm really confused as to how people want to get rid of the idea of acquiring Irving or even KD but are cool with Butler?

Changing culture is all about winning. That's where it starts. We can discuss "great teammates", "great attitudes" and all that load of crap but if we aren't winning, it eventually doesn't matter. If in two years the Knicks are still fighting for that 14%, it won't be about culture change. It'll be "Knicks haven't changed".
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#13 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:56 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

Russell / DSJ
Brogdon / Frank / Trier
TBD / Knox
Mitch

I think Durant would be a problem for culture change, too.

Melo brought great scoring talent, but he also brought defensive liability, inability to change and adapt game to help the team win vs getting his own numbers and shots, poor leadership, and an incredible amount of difficulty to build around one player.

Durant is more of an off the court, mental problem tho.

Melo was a net negative, in that his negatives didn't make up for his positive in scoring. Is Durant that much of a negative for culture change, and is it worth it for the Knicks? That's a big question.

I disagree that Melo was a net negative but he certainly didn't change the culture at the Garden with his leadership (or lack thereof). There was always a cloud hanging over the franchise with Melo, not a dark cloud (that was JR Smith, whom I loved regardless) but more like a grey stratus cloud.

His inability to change under Mike D'Antoni and after his injury also hurt the franchise, no doubt about it. And I'll never forget how he ran J-Lin out of town. But he brought the franchise back to relevance, he gave us one great season where we should've gone to the ECF, never flopped or cheated the game and handled Phil's nonsense like a man so I am also thankful for those years.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#14 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:08 pm

this thread can survive the merge if it stays about the culture concept.

i think every leadership group has to identify and implement its own culture. the multi-billion dollar question: is it truly possible to separate him from the "culture?"

sounds like merry pills is definitely trying to keep a barrier, as did phil. but pills also have a tangible and obvious commitment to human resources that i have never really seen before. looks more like the standards you would see in place at successful companies in general.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,084

Post#15 » by Juco24 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:32 pm

Definitely NOT the same ol Knicks and that starts (obviously) with the front office. Remember back in the day when we had FO personnel who had information leak left & right? Remember when we made stupid boneheaded trades based on a 'yesterday' star? Remember when we had personnel who harassed workers? See, this is why when Max K opens his mouth about Dolan... I'm like yeah, but we have Perry now - a guy who is all about his business and pretty much a nonsense type personality (see Hornacek, see KP, see Fizdale, see Knox) each move he's made, he's quadruple checked the outcome of such move and has moved carefully over the chess board. Even now, just a few weeks from the start of FAgncy and the best anyone can do is GUESS what's Perry's next move. The dude is clever and anyone can see this. So, yes the culture is DEFINITIVELY changing. May not happen over night but we're already on the right path
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,567

Post#16 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:59 pm

Every team has issues and things that would be considered “bad culture”. I live in Mavs country and they’re a cultural cesspool. The press is team friendly and that’s the difference. They openly root for the team. The press here is the opposite and they dictate what the fanbase thinks. Folks regurgitate headlines verbatim.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#17 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:14 pm

I think it’s the culture of losing they talked about changing.

And part of losing was the style. ISO ball. Constant turnover. No defense.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,049

Post#18 » by vallen » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:37 pm

Is Lebron good for a team "Culturally" ? Id have to say probably not because hes going to play how he plays no matter whos coaching him, and im not really sure if he bothers mentoring anyone. But hes great enough to get away with it. So when describing "culture" you have to factor in Talent, Character, Chemistry, Leadership, and Accountability. Either way its not something that happens over one season. Our young grasshoppers have ways to go, and more importantly our FO will forever be judged by this next pick and FA off-season. If were offering max's to Kemba Walkers we haven't changed at all culturally , we will be starting a new circle of the same old ****. As usual time will tell, because if left to the fanboys timeline we would have won 8 championships and Frank would be a 2 time allstar with the right coach. It will be an interesting summer of let downs. 2020.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,217

Post#19 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:38 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:

I think it’s the culture of losing they talked about changing.

And part of losing was the style. ISO ball. Constant turnover. No defense.

If that's the case then culture hasn't changed at all yet.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#20 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:48 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:There will always be drama with the NY Knicks. I'd worry about building a good team that fits together and making smart moves. Everything will fall into place if we do that.

True about the drama because the tabloid media is always looking for that kind of stuff. But we can certainly keep it to a minimum if we had a coach and FO who knew what he/they are doing. For example, playing Mudiay over Frank all season. Not only was it a dumb move, but they then dug their heels in and refused to change course (maybe it was too late already as the damage to Frank's confidence was done). #Development.

But getting rid of The Diva certainly got rid of the thick stench of "Me, Me, Me" out of the organization.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.

Return to New York Knicks