Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Re: Carsen Edwards 

Post#81 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:27 am

clyde21 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:FVV and QC are nowhere near real 'point guards'. They may take the ball up the court, and make a pass to a guy posting, but they don't run the offense like a true PG, or break a defense down like one. Edwards can be as much a PG as those two.

He wont ever be a starter, and may be limited to bit minutes (12-15mpg), but he is too good at scoring to not find a role in this league. A team needing offense should target him in R2. Someone like Orlando should double up at PG, take a true PG in R1 and target Edwards at 46.

i highly doubt Edwards lasts till R2.

NBA teams are wayyy higher on him than people think, and rightfully so.

Not only do I not think that he will be a first rounder, I would not be surprised if he was an undrafted free agent.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#82 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:29 am

I think the take that he will never be a starting guard in the NBA is although somewhat reasonable not a lock given he has good length to be a + defender if he wants it, and if his job is tasked with more responsibility than being the first option scorer on the floor we may see a different level of passing ability from him. His BBiq seems very high to me.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#83 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:47 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:FVV and QC are nowhere near real 'point guards'. They may take the ball up the court, and make a pass to a guy posting, but they don't run the offense like a true PG, or break a defense down like one. Edwards can be as much a PG as those two.

He wont ever be a starter, and may be limited to bit minutes (12-15mpg), but he is too good at scoring to not find a role in this league. A team needing offense should target him in R2. Someone like Orlando should double up at PG, take a true PG in R1 and target Edwards at 46.

i highly doubt Edwards lasts till R2.

NBA teams are wayyy higher on him than people think, and rightfully so.

Not only do I not think that he will be a first rounder, I would not be surprised if he was an undrafted free agent.

i guess we'll see, but if Isaiah Thomas can thrive in the NBA, so can Edwards, who's longer/stronger with the same level of scoring prowess and skill.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#84 » by HEZI » Thu Jun 6, 2019 1:18 am

gundysmullet wrote:
HEZI wrote:How is it that guys like Fred Van Vleet and Quinn Cook can have success and thrive on the biggest stage there is but a guy like Carsen Edwards wont be able to? Is Patty Mills still in the league or no? DJ Augustin? Yogi Ferrell? Trey Burke? Try to convince me that any of those guys are more talented than Carsen Edwards.

I see Edwards having a better NBA career than a lot of dudes projected to go ahead of him

FVV and QC are point guards, CE is not. And they're both taller than CE, albeit not much. Mills I think is a pretty fair comparison to CE, but he came into the league 15 years ago. As to the other guys, again, pg's.

So you mean to tell me Perdue made it to the Elite 8 without a PG? Wow that's impressive

Ok so tell me this, if FVV and Cook are PGs then why do they keep playing next to Lowry and Curry? I mean Warriors will run Cook with Steph and Draymond and stick him in the corner or elbow and not have him imitate the offense many times but hes a PG? Raptors will use FVV with both Lowry and Kawhi and many times its Lowry and Kawhi initiating the offense which makes FVVs role what exactly?

The NBA isn't about PGs and SGs anymore, its a GGFFC league now and teams are using 3 to even 4 guard lineups now. Its all about versatility and having multiple guys be able to bring the ball up, create, shoot, pass, drive, etc. Different teams use different combos and strategies and Edwards brings the type of skills that a lot of NBA teams look for. Maybe not in the starting lineup but certainly as a weapon off the bench.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
clyde21
RealGM

Post#85 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:00 am

Edwards had the best tournament showing since Curry, he was that good, and single handedly carried Purdue to the elite 8

a lot of the things people are saying about Edwards now people were saying about Curry then, be careful.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#86 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:14 am

HEZI wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
HEZI wrote:How is it that guys like Fred Van Vleet and Quinn Cook can have success and thrive on the biggest stage there is but a guy like Carsen Edwards wont be able to? Is Patty Mills still in the league or no? DJ Augustin? Yogi Ferrell? Trey Burke? Try to convince me that any of those guys are more talented than Carsen Edwards.

I see Edwards having a better NBA career than a lot of dudes projected to go ahead of him

FVV and QC are point guards, CE is not. And they're both taller than CE, albeit not much. Mills I think is a pretty fair comparison to CE, but he came into the league 15 years ago. As to the other guys, again, pg's.

So you mean to tell me Perdue made it to the Elite 8 without a PG? Wow that's impressive

Ok so tell me this, if FVV and Cook are PGs then why do they keep playing next to Lowry and Curry? I mean Warriors will run Cook with Steph and Draymond and stick him in the corner or elbow and not have him imitate the offense many times but hes a PG? Raptors will use FVV with both Lowry and Kawhi and many times its Lowry and Kawhi initiating the offense which makes FVVs role what exactly?
The NBA isn't about PGs and SGs anymore, its a GGFFC league now and teams are using 3 to even 4 guard lineups now. Its all about versatility and having multiple guys be able to bring the ball up, create, shoot, pass, drive, etc. Different teams use different combos and strategies and Edwards brings the type of skills that a lot of NBA teams look for. Maybe not in the starting lineup but certainly as a weapon off the bench.

I don’t know where to begin; Carsen Edwards was a dynamic tiny scoring guard for Purdue. College basketball has a play nothing to do with the NBA, they are two separate games. Regarding your second point which makes no sense either, are you not familiar with the phrase “two point guard back court”? Serious question. A lot of teams like to play to point guards together. It’s actually quite common.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#87 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:15 am

clyde21 wrote:Edwards had the best tournament showing since Curry, he was that good, and single handedly carried Purdue to the elite 8

a lot of the things people are saying about Edwards now people were saying about Curry then, be careful.

The difference is, Steph Curry is a point guard. But you’re too emotionally invested and are allowing your pride to not admit that.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#88 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:16 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Edwards had the best tournament showing since Curry, he was that good, and single handedly carried Purdue to the elite 8

The difference is, Steph Curry is a point guard. But you’re too emotionally invested and are allowing your pride to not admit that.

a lot of people called Steph a tweener early in his career and werent convinced he could be a PG...many had him pegged as an 'undersized' SG coming in.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#89 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:18 am

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

a lot of people called Steph a tweener early in his career and werent convinced he could be a PG...many had him pegged as an 'undersized' SG coming in.

Well then those people had no idea what they were talking about because he averaged six assists per game his senior season.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#90 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:20 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

Well then those people had no idea what they were talking about because he averaged six assists per game his senior season.

junior year*

and Steph went back to Davidson specifically to show his PG skills (he was gonna come out as a Sophomore) because he was getting those questions marks. even with those 6apg people still doubted his PG skills.

now, I agree that Edwards' biggest problem is that he needs to develop his PG skills, but you're not drafting him to be your lead guard (at least not yet), you're drafting him to be your microwave off-bench scorer.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#91 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:26 am

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

junior year*

and Steph went back to Davidson specifically to show his PG skills (he was gonna come out as a Sophomore) because he was getting those questions marks. even with those 6apg people still doubted his PG skills.

now, I agree that Edwards' biggest problem is that he needs to develop his PG skills, but you're not drafting him to be your lead guard (at least not yet), you're drafting him to be your microwave off-bench scorer.

Yes, you’re right, junior year. My bad. Listen, all due respect, I don’t care enough about Carsen Edwards to continue this ridiculously insufferable discussion. I loved watching him in college, if he gets drafted I will cheer for him. If he doesn’t I will probably forget him forever.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#92 » by HEZI » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:37 am

gundysmullet wrote:
HEZI wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

I don’t know where to begin; Carsen Edwards was a dynamic tiny scoring guard for Purdue. College basketball has a play nothing to do with the NBA, they are two separate games. Regarding your second point which makes no sense either, are you not familiar with the phrase “two point guard back court”? Serious question. A lot of teams like to play to point guards together. It’s actually quite common.

Do you even know why teams do this? :lol:

Teams do this because their guards are usually their most skilled perimeter players and it's a perimeter oriented game. Shooting/Ball Handling?Speed?Quickness these are most commonly found in guards. It has nothing to do with a point guard. A Rajon Rondo/Lonzo Ball back court will not work, you can call them point guards all you want but it aint gonna work. Ricky Rubio and Ben Simmos back court will not work, call them point guards all you want.

You can call Carsen Edweards whatever you want, point guard shooting guard, not NBA caliber, but all I know is he cooked up NBA level prospects all year long. Some of your favorite NBA prospects got torched by the dude and nobody could guard him. If he aint NBA material, then the dudes he was lighting up aint it either.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#93 » by The_Hater » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:51 pm

But if you compare the college stats of each of them, Curry was a superstar in every sense of the word at Davison posting great efficiency and playmaking numbers while Edwards was quite the opposite, inefficient and not much of a playmaker.

No doubt Edwards had a great tournament and showed an ability to get his shot off and shoot from deep, but we’re also talking about 4 games out of what was otherwise a very disappointing season for him. Small sample sizes can often skew our judgement.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#94 » by Upperclass » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:04 am

I really like his mental makeup .. I think he's one of the steals of this draft..
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#95 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 am

What's the difference between him and Ponds?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#96 » by NotACat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:37 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:What's the difference between him and Ponds?

Edwards is stronger, Ponds is a better ball handler and creator.
Black Lives Matter
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#97 » by Coeur » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 am

I never want my team taking a guy like this that I don’t think ever projects as what you want out of your starter. But you know he’s going to produce right away. I think we are all under valuing this guy right now and that someone is going to get an impact from him out of a pick 25-40
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#98 » by No-Man » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 am

Carsen is pretty clearly a lotto guy
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#99 » by nolang1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:What's the difference between him and Ponds?

Ponds is younger, a better finisher, a better passer, and has much more defensive potential because he's legitimately good at getting steals. Edwards is a better three-point shooter.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#100 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:53 am

Ponds is like 3 months younger, 20 lbs smaller, 3" smaller wingspan, not as good of a shooter or shot creator, not the defensive player.

Ponds is more of a 40-50 pick, Edwards is a legit top 20 guy.

Return to NBA Draft