ImageImageImageImageImage

Phase 4 / The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: Phase 4 / The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#2081 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 3:06 pm

I would love to see Kenny with a legit star type player. He's done so much for lesser guys. Developing young guys. Maximizing vets. Kyrie is obviously great already but you have to wonder if Kenny could get even more out of him.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#2082 » by Paradise » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:05 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I would love to see Kenny with a legit star type player. He's done so much for lesser guys. Developing young guys. Maximizing vets. Kyrie is obviously great already but you have to wonder if Kenny could get even more out of him.

I think his experience with D’Angelo has helped him develop as a coach and I think he would be the best personality fit for Kyrie Irving.

His family minded approach is something I think Irving wants but he saw the favoritism of Stevens/Heyward and that is likely one big area of why he’s leaving Boston.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#2083 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:00 pm

Prokorov wrote:AD wont be a free agent, any team who trades for him will do so with an extension in place

This is not legal.

Teams can allow other teams to negotiate extensions with players immediately before (and as a condition of) a trade, but AD can't even exercise his PO until June 2020. Uni has repeatedly stated that he intends to opt out, but that's not the same as exercising you PO and you can't do it a year early. So, any team that acquires him this summer can have no "handshake agreement" with a player on an extension before their time to exercise it.

This is just like the situation with Kawhi. Of course, he didn't WANT to sign an extension with Toronto, he wants to be a FREE agent. But even if he did, his contract has a 2019-2020 player option, which he can and will renounce after the season and before the moratorium. He can't sign an extension officially before then, and it would have been tampering to make a binding agreement to do so.

Any team that trades for AD at market rate has to do so on faith that he is willing to re-sign.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#2084 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:05 pm

Paradise wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I would love to see Kenny with a legit star type player. He's done so much for lesser guys. Developing young guys. Maximizing vets. Kyrie is obviously great already but you have to wonder if Kenny could get even more out of him.

I think his experience with D’Angelo has helped him develop as a coach and I think he would be the best personality fit for Kyrie Irving.

His family minded approach is something I think Irving wants but he saw the favoritism of Stevens/Heyward and that is likely one big area of why he’s leaving Boston.

I'm curious to know more about the Hayward/Stevens dynamic as you see it. I know that Rozier really suffered from not only having his PT reduced with Kyrie's return, but playing off-ball in the 2nd unit with Gordon as the playmaker. But I didn't think there was team-wide resentment over it.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#2085 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:22 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:AD wont be a free agent, any team who trades for him will do so with an extension in place

This is not legal.

Teams can allow other teams to negotiate extensions with players immediately before (and as a condition of) a trade, but AD can't even exercise his PO until June 2020. Uni has repeatedly stated that he intends to opt out, but that's not the same as exercising you PO and you can't do it a year early. So, any team that acquires him this summer can have no "handshake agreement" with a player on an extension before their time to exercise it.

This is just like the situation with Kawhi. Of course, he didn't WANT to sign an extension with Toronto, he wants to be a FREE agent. But even if he did, his contract has a 2019-2020 player option, which he can and will renounce after the season and before the moratorium. He can't sign an extension officially before then, and it would have been tampering to make a binding agreement to do so.

Any team that trades for AD at market rate has to do so on faith that he is willing to re-sign.

they will agree to terms, it wont be executed. AD wont be a free agent next year unless someone dumb like the celtics signs him knowing he will opt out.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2086 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:23 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

I'm curious to know more about the Hayward/Stevens dynamic as you see it. I know that Rozier really suffered from not only having his PT reduced with Kyrie's return, but playing off-ball in the 2nd unit with Gordon as the playmaker. But I didn't think there was team-wide resentment over it.

Stevens favoring heyward was a huge issue not just with Rozier but also with Brown, Allen, and the fanbase.
Paradise

Post#2087 » by Paradise » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:26 pm

Kyrie was at Barclays last night.

Read on Twitter
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#2088 » by DeRoma » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:33 pm

prince is traded to crabbe
Paradise

Phase 4 / The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#2089 » by Paradise » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:39 pm

Here we go!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#2090 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:12 pm

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :vuvuzela:
-- Steve Martin
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#2091 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:13 am

trading for prince and crabbe+1st rd for cap space has been ideas posted by yours truly in this board. Damn now i'm afraid Nets will cut ties with Dlo to chase after Kyrie and durant. Lakers stole my idea to trade for Lopez+1st rder too. But i suggested trading guys like clarkson, not Dlo. I hope Dlo stays, he's my fav ex Lakers and current fav Nets player. Can we split the 48 mil b/w irving and a PF, perhaps Tobias Harris or Julius Randle. I'll even take Mirotic. Maybe use the money leftover from irving signing to sign Vucevic. If we can draft Brandon Clarke to play the 4 spot. That's huge! Keep working ur magic, Mark. But please keep Dlo in the team! Maybe Sean Marks can pull off the AD trade too, let's go!

Irving
Dlo
Prince
Harris/Randle/Mirotic
Allen

Irving
Dlo
Prince
Clarke
AD(Allen+Levert+Kurucs+DW(flip DW for top 10 pick)+future 1st rders)or Vucevic
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#2092 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:16 am

if we don't get irving..

Dlo(Max)
Harris
Tobias Harris(Max)
Randle(15-18 mil)
Allen or Capela(DW+Allen+1st rder)

THanks marks!
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#2093 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:53 am

dlo/DW
harris/Levert
prince/Kurucs
randle/#27 pick(maybe trade up?) for Brandon Clarke or PJ Washington
vucevic/Allen

So many possibilities!
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#2094 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:37 am

https://youtu.be/WDbXG7IIKT4
Randle went from 22% 3 pt shooter to 34% in 1 season..if he Nets can help him improve to 36, 37% he's gonna be a force to be reckoned with. He has good form.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#2095 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:14 am

Seems like Irving to the Nets is almost a done deal.

I hate the fit with Russell, but you probably want to keep the asset and see how it goes.

Unlikely that Kawhi or Klay give us a look. And I don't want to invest 100 mill in Butler.

Thus it seems likely that we end up pairing Kyrie with D Lo next year.

Unless of course Kyrie convinces Durant to sign here over the Knicks. In which case we might be the favorites to win the East next year.

Imagine:

Kyrie
Levert
Durant
Prince
Allen

Dinwiddie and Harris off the bench

That would be absolutely filthy. Could also add a more traditional PF with the MLE.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2096 » by Prokorov » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:31 am

I know everyone is excited about the KD possibility but i feel its more likely kyrie/butler. those 2 are super close and both have been linked to us. Kyrie recently and butler in season. Butler on a max would also allow us to keep russell. if that happens, id expect dinwiddie is moved for a pick... not just to clear room, but to avoid tax down the road.

Russell | Levert
Kyrie | Musa
Harris | Kurucs
Butler | Prince
Allen |#27

could use the room exception on ed davis or napier. would get an asset for dinwiddie as well.

thats a lock 55 win team
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,053

Post#2097 » by Netaman » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:54 am

Prokorov wrote:I know everyone is excited about the KD possibility but i feel its more likely kyrie/butler. those 2 are super close and both have been linked to us.

I'm leaning the other way. Woj et al are reporting the Nets feel they are in position for top guys. The top guys available are undoubtedly Leonard, KD, and AD, and while the noise hasn't been as loud as Irving we've been linked to all 3. I didn't think so before today, but now I think 1 of them ends up here.

If Marks wanted Butler he could have traded for him. I don't think he's been holding his ammo until now to use his highest draft pick in 3 years so he could add Butler and Irving. If he wanted to do that it would have been much easier to do by just adding Butler a couple months ago and then recruiting off that.

Honestly at this point I guess I could see just about anything happening, but the most surprising thing to me would be renouncing 23 year old all star poster boy for everything they've preached in terms of development + culture. I just don't see that happening, but who knows.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#2098 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:56 am

Prokorov wrote:I know everyone is excited about the KD possibility but i feel its more likely kyrie/butler. those 2 are super close and both have been linked to us. Kyrie recently and butler in season. Butler on a max would also allow us to keep russell. if that happens, id expect dinwiddie is moved for a pick... not just to clear room, but to avoid tax down the road.

Russell | Levert
Kyrie | Musa
Harris | Kurucs
Butler | Prince
Allen |#27

could use the room exception on ed davis or napier. would get an asset for dinwiddie as well.

thats a lock 55 win team

I get the impression Philly is going to offer Butler the full 5 year max, & I doubt he turns that down. Harris is the likelier Philly FA to shake loose.

Waiting a year for AD or possibly Kawhi (if he signs a 1+1) is always a fallback option, but given we paid to move Crabbe, it's doubtful.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 403

Post#2099 » by drchaos » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:18 pm

Let's assume for the moment that Kyrie and KD want to team up in Brooklyn.

Unless one of them takes less than the max we are not only saying goodbye to DLO but moving Dinwiddle or Harris to clear a bit more cap room.

The only way I can see us bringing in both players without giving up DLO is if we got Irving from the Celtics on a sign and trade involving both Dinwiddle and Harris. If our assets help them get AD they might be willing to do it.

Is there any chance this could happen and would either team need to include any other players or picks?
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#2100 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:53 pm

drchaos wrote:Let's assume for the moment that Kyrie and KD want to team up in Brooklyn.

Unless one of them takes less than the max we are not only saying goodbye to DLO but moving Dinwiddle or Harris to clear a bit more cap room.

The only way I can see us bringing in both players without giving up DLO is if we got Irving from the Celtics on a sign and trade involving both Dinwiddle and Harris. If our assets help them get AD they might be willing to do it.

Is there any chance this could happen and would either team need to include any other players or picks?

Good question.

Let's say that we move both Harris and Dinwiddie for pure capspace or a pair of minimum-salary players (plus future picks that don't immediately affect our '19-'20 cap number).

Then, we waive Tre'Veon Graham and Shabazz Napier. By my calculations, we would have $66mil in capspace, AFTER accounting for D'Angelo's $21mil cap hold. Kyrie's max number starts @ $33mil, while Kevin could earn $39mil. It would be a sizable sacrifice of ~$3mil each, or almost $14mil over the life of each of their 4-year deals. For the ability to keep Russell and as a show of good faith to the organization they are joining, I would *hope* they make this sacrifice.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets