ImageImageImage

Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,455

Re: Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs) 

Post#381 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Jun 5, 2019 10:48 am

Fultz looks like a dope....He looks like a dumbass mumble rapper whose names starts with "Lil".
I tried to look past all that, but my anger towards him won so there it is.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,736

Post#382 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:43 pm

Read on Twitter

It has begun...
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#383 » by nitocobola » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:54 pm

I don't think that we can keep both, tobias and butler

Just brutal

Read on Twitter
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,789

Post#384 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Jun 6, 2019 11:01 pm

nitocobola wrote:I don't think that we can keep both, tobias and butler

Just brutal

Read on Twitter

This literally doesnt change anything. We can still offer both of them more money than anyone else. Only reason they leave is if they don't wanna be here.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#385 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:15 am

That was a pretty shrewd move, pulled off by the Nets. Getting out of 17 million in salary and grabbing Tarean Prince as a younger, cheaper replacement/upgrade for Demarre Carrol.

The Nets could be better than the Celtics next year.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#386 » by James40 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:21 am

LloydFree wrote:That was a pretty shrewd move, pulled off by the Nets. Getting out of 17 million in salary and grabbing Tarean Prince as a younger, cheaper replacement/upgrade for Demarre Carrol.

The Nets could be better than the Celtics next year.

They will likely be much better this year, ugh.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,700

Post#387 » by the_process » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:54 am

Just brutal

Read on Twitter

What it likely means is no discounts. You give them their 5-188 or they threaten to go.

In retrospect, it makes the decision to go for it right now that much stupider, as they acquired two pending UFA’s in an offseason where half the league has max cap space. That’s what you get when you get when you half ass the GM search.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,034

Post#388 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:04 am

the_process wrote:

Just brutal

Read on Twitter

What it likely means is no discounts. You give them their 5-188 or they threaten to go.

In retrospect, it makes the decision to go for it right now that much stupider, as they acquired two pending UFA’s in an offseason where half the league has max cap space. That’s what you get when you get when you half ass the GM search.

Or it means the people that thought that they could build the team by bringing in outside talent through free agency were kidding themselves.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#389 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:04 am

the_process wrote:

Just brutal

Read on Twitter

Wait, SO your basically saying we should have held onto Covington, Dario, Fultz, Shamet and never had made the Butler/Harris trades with hopes that we could sign a free agent in an ultra competitive market this Summer?

And what happens when you don't land any of those FA? After the LeBron situation, I think you have to realize that Philadelphia (as a city/destination) is NOT likely out dueling New York, LA and other desirable markets....especially when the money is the same or similar.

You bring someone into the fold like Butler for a season or so.....Have him experience the city, the fans, the team etc and also hold the ability to pay him more money than anyone. That was a SMART move by Brand, because without it.....you're likely not landing him.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#390 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:08 am

Guys that command max contracts command them no matter what the market is.

The more cap space in the market, the more the mid to high range guys get overpaid.

Malcolm Brogdon's agent is doing backflips right now.

This impacts Redick's market more than it does Harris or Butler's.
the_process
RealGM

Post#391 » by the_process » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:24 am

Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:

Just brutal

Read on Twitter

Or it means the people that thought that they could build the team by bringing in outside talent through free agency were kidding themselves.

I wasn’t trying to infer “just sign FA’s this summer”. Rather, I was trying to say they should have waited until 2020 or 2021 to push all in. Less competition and gives your two best players more seasoning (which they really need).
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#392 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:36 am

the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:

I wasn’t trying to infer “just sign FA’s this summer”. Rather, I was trying to say they should have waited until 2020 or 2021 to push all in. Less competition and gives your two best players more seasoning (which they really need).

So you wanted to waste 2 years of Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid's careers to "season" them and not give them any legitimate help?

Sorry, sounds pretty ridiculous. You are assuming you can instantly flick a switch and just acquire a player like Butler/Harris every season. Also, what happens when guys like Saric,Covington,Fultz continue to lose value over the course of those 2 years and you have little to offer in a meaningful trade?

You have 2 young core players (1 who has had a history of injuries) who are all-stars at 22 and 24 years old. Your best bet is to build the best team possible around them while 1 his still on his rookie deal to help capitalize on the lower cost of a star player. In 2 years Ben Simmons is making 25-30M a year.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#393 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:37 am

the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:

If a team in Philadelphia is a non-destination to FA’s with Embiid and Simmons on the roster, then send the team to Seattle because what’s the point.

But I wasn’t trying to infer “just sign FA’s this summer”. Rather, I was trying to say they should have waited until 2020 or 2021 to push all in. Less competition and gives your two best players more seasoning (which they really need).

You just did a woe is me thing about the Sixers not being able to get free agents? What it's only JImmy Butler and Tobias Harris?

There's little to no cap space next summer with Simmons' extension. Also the second best free agent next summer is Drummond. This was the offseason to do it. They didn't go "all in" they still have as many draft picks as almost everyone in the league and two young stars and bird rights on several others. Going all in is what the Nets just did.
the_process
RealGM

Post#394 » by the_process » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:44 am

Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

If a team in Philadelphia is a non-destination to FA’s with Embiid and Simmons on the roster, then send the team to Seattle because what’s the point.

You just did a woe is me thing about the Sixers not being able to get free agents? What it's only JImmy Butler and Tobias Harris?

There's little to no cap space next summer with Simmons' extension. Also the second best free agent next summer is Drummond. This was the offseason to do it.

Forget FA. You can make trades every year, right? So they could’ve made trades and pushed all in at a later date, yes? (editing again to say that’s rhetorical so let’s not jump the gun this time)
the_process
RealGM

Post#395 » by the_process » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:46 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

So you wanted to waste 2 years of Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid's careers to "season" them and not give them any legitimate help?

Sorry, sounds pretty ridiculous. You are assuming you can instantly flick a switch and just acquire a player like Butler/Harris every season. Also, what happens when guys like Saric,Covington,Fultz continue to lose value over the course of those 2 years and you have little to offer in a meaningful trade?

You have 2 young core players (1 who has had a history of injuries) who are all-stars at 22 and 24 years old. Your best bet is to build the best team possible around them while 1 his still on his rookie deal to help capitalize on the lower cost of a star player. In 2 years Ben Simmons is making 25-30M a year.

It’s not wasting when they’re clearly not ready to win. As has been proven. And yeah, there’s pretty much always good players available for one reason or another.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#396 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:55 am

the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:

There's little to no cap space next summer with Simmons' extension. Also the second best free agent next summer is Drummond. This was the offseason to do it.

Forget FA. You can make trades every year, right? So they could’ve made trades and pushed all in at a later date, yes? (editing again to say that’s rhetorical so let’s not jump the gun this time)

Maybe? Maybe that Kings pick you thought was the crown jewel is actually just the 14th pick in a bad draft. Maybe future franchise player Nerlens Noel is actually just a good backup. Maybe Covs suffers a degenerative knee condition. Assets don't keep constant value.

The Sixers had a bunch of expirings this year because they wanted to keep flexibility. You can only do that for so long, and you need those expirings to make these sorts of trades. Maybe they could have gotten better players than Harris and Butler if they wait a year, maybe not. Looking at the landscape of next year I don't see a lot of obvious candidates, again next years' free agent class kind of sucks, which is what drives the movement.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#397 » by Wilfried » Fri Jun 7, 2019 7:18 am

the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:

You can wait and wait ... And maybe that could have been a good option too.

But the Celtics' situation should show you that's only true in theory.

And don't see much better positions to be in than ours right now. We can have a team with almost 4 allstars and 3 of them still have room for improvement.
Give me a scenario that would have been better and as sure as this one.
the_process
RealGM

Post#398 » by the_process » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:56 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:Forget FA. You can make trades every year, right? So they could’ve made trades and pushed all in at a later date, yes? (editing again to say that’s rhetorical so let’s not jump the gun this time)

Maybe? Maybe that Kings pick you thought was the crown jewel is actually just the 14th pick in a bad draft. Maybe future franchise player Nerlens Noel is actually just a good backup. Maybe Covs suffers a degenerative knee condition. Assets don't keep constant value.

The Sixers had a bunch of expirings this year because they wanted to keep flexibility. You can only do that for so long, and you need those expirings to make these sorts of trades. Maybe they could have gotten better players than Harris and Butler if they wait a year, maybe not. Looking at the landscape of next year I don't see a lot of obvious candidates, again next years' free agent class kind of sucks, which is what drives the movement.

A simple yes would’ve sufficed.
the_process
RealGM

Post#399 » by the_process » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:01 pm

Wilfried wrote:
the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

You can wait and wait ... And maybe that could have been a good option too.

But the Celtics' situation should show you that's only true in theory.

And don't see much better positions to be in than ours right now. We can have a team with almost 4 allstars and 3 of them still have room for improvement. Give me a scenario that would have been better and as sure as this one.

Celtics could still re-sign Kyrie and trade for AD. And as far as scenarios go, we can all make up a thousand but the one actually occurring is far from sure.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#400 » by James40 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:32 pm

I need someone much smarter than me which shouldn’t be difficult to find, how would it work for Brooklyn, can they sign KD and Kyrie, plus keep Russell?

Or is just going over cap and luxury tax if they feel like it?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers