ImageImageImage

Coaching Staff

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

deepestblue
Freshman
And1: 73

Re: Coaching Staff 

Post#81 » by deepestblue » Fri Jun 7, 2019 9:57 am

In my view the "Saunders-Wants-Lowe-And-Wittman" thing, true or not, was leaked to weaken Saunders in the eyes of the public. Welcome to the bigtime, Ryan, I'm pulling for ya.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#82 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:12 pm

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Nick K wrote:
Once again Domejandro you are right as usual. Ryan is on board with these hires for sure. Ryan probably was in on it from the beginning. This is the new Wolves colaborative way of doing things.

The guy I really want is Chad Forcier to take over the offense and teach guys to shoot. Wiggins and Okogie need it big time.

I'd pay the guy substantially more than what he's now getting if I had to to get him. Chad Forcier. Saunders, Forcier and Vanterpool, are a super solid triumvirate.

Nick what is Ryan going to be regarding the hire? Not on board? He doesn't have a choice. If they tell him to eat $hit on toast that is what he is going to do and he's going to smile while he's eating it. Sorry to be crude, but they fired his staff and refused his suggestions for the new staff. Ryan might be nothing, but a figurehead as coach while just about everything is being done by Rosas and the staff.

KGDABOM, you have this so wrong. Ridiculously wrong.

He is NOT taking orders or laying down from Rosas. You couldn't be further from the truth! Either you don't understand what's really going wrong or you are just prejudiced at Ryan for some reason. I don't know the answer.

This is the new "Collaborative Wolves"! Didn't you hear? They do this stuff all together. Ryan was in on the Vanterpool hire right away becaused they had mutually agreed to the hire. This is the new "Wolves" baby!

Ryan will be fully in on the next hires too.

We have never been in such good shape.

The way this has all played out is maybe Rosas tells Ryan we are looking at candidate X*Y*Z, but Ryan is not going to have any say so whatsoever about who is selected. All the evidence you need to know that is Rosas letting go the entire staff or did they retain the one guy who had a year left on his contract? I'm a little confused about that. Then Ryan Suggests Lowe and Wittman and is immediately shut down. Ryan has about zero power in the organization. So sure if Rosas wants somebody Ryan will be on board saying great choice Gersson….. I mean MR. ROSAS.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#83 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:15 pm

Nick K wrote:
Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Nick what is Ryan going to be regarding the hire? Not on board? He doesn't have a choice. If they tell him to eat $hit on toast that is what he is going to do and he's going to smile while he's eating it. Sorry to be crude, but they fired his staff and refused his suggestions for the new staff. Ryan might be nothing, but a figurehead as coach while just about everything is being done by Rosas and the staff.

KGDABOM, you have this so wrong. Ridiculously wrong.

He is NOT taking orders or laying down from Rosas. You couldn't be further from the truth! Either you don't understand what's really going wrong or you are just prejudiced at Ryan for some reason. I don't know the answer.

This is the new "Collaborative Wolves"! Didn't you hear? They do this stuff all together. Ryan was in on the Vanterpool hire right away becaused they had mutually agreed to the hire. This is the new "Wolves" baby!

Ryan will be fully in on the next hires too.

We have never been in such good shape.

Come on Kgdabom, you can't be right all the time. :)

Yeah there was that one time I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was right. :lol: :crazy:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#84 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:17 pm

Klomp wrote:
Nick K wrote:KGDABOM, you have this so wrong. Ridiculously wrong.

It's okay Nick, I know the answer....

Klomp I'm not 100% serious about my reply there, but mostly I am. What is Ryan going to do if he doesn't want somebody on staff that Gersson does? Is he going to draw a line in the sand and dare Gersson to cross it. No! He's going to be a good soldier and support Gersson's every whim.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#85 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:21 pm

deepestblue wrote:In my view the "Saunders-Wants-Lowe-And-Wittman" thing, true or not, was leaked to weaken Saunders in the eyes of the public. Welcome to the bigtime, Ryan, I'm pulling for ya.

I usually don't reply to people with under 100 posts because so often they are fake accounts for trolls. However, you have a good take. I really would like to know the truth about this. It is possible that Ryan never even suggested Lowe and Wittman, but then who reported he did. That is why I (sorry Klomp) hate anonymous reports with zero accountability.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#86 » by Killboard » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:51 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Killboard wrote:
shangrila wrote:But that doesn't fit the narrative so clearly you are wrong.

I suppose we will know this down the road. Thing is usual on NFL for example (and Rosas talked about liking to use methods as off/def coordinator). I suppose it depends on how those individuals personalities are made and how the organization handles the goals.

In that regard I think Ryan knows the type of opportunity is given to him and Im sure Rosas would like to see him succeed since it was his call. Ryan has valuable attributes to be a head coach but also has to proof himself for the position.

Knowing little of Vanterpool seems like a guy who involves himself a lot from a personal point of view and wouldnt work on anyone backs. Still he was already candidate for several head coaching jobs for which I think there is more than just get out of Stotts Shadow.

They are also probably paying him more money.
I don’t even think it’s outside the realm of possibility Rosas views him as a future head coach, I just think it’s very unlikely Vanterpool has been promised anything like that. If he has, it makes me think less of Rosas.

Money is a factor for sure, but isnt an easy task to draw a top assistant from a top team without that team making an effort to retain him (and by all accounts it seemed like that was the case with DVP). The promise made on his future could have been a "Serious consideration for a potential Head Coaching job if Im still at charge" and not a "We will keep Ryan one season and make his life difficult so we can fire him".

I mean, everyone is paid to do a certain job. In any healthy workgroup the goals are shared and people collaborate for that goal even if some people on that group is overqualified for his charge and eventually hopes to grow withing the organization. But is just my guess and Im not claiming owning the truth. I suppose we will know this ahead in time.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#87 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:15 pm

KGdaBom wrote:All the evidence you need to know that is Rosas letting go the entire staff or did they retain the one guy who had a year left on his contract? I'm a little confused about that.

Malik Allen is still under contract and was not fired. However....

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Nick what is Ryan going to be regarding the hire? Not on board? He doesn't have a choice. If they tell him to eat $hit on toast that is what he is going to do and he's going to smile while he's eating it. Sorry to be crude, but they fired his staff and refused his suggestions for the new staff. Ryan might be nothing, but a figurehead as coach while just about everything is being done by Rosas and the staff.

That's the exact type of business model Rosas is NOT building here. I get it, you're still used to Thibs. But I can all but guarantee you that this won't be a dictatorship any more.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#89 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:All the evidence you need to know that is Rosas letting go the entire staff or did they retain the one guy who had a year left on his contract? I'm a little confused about that.

Malik Allen is still under contract and was not fired. However....

Read on Twitter

Thank you. I am now no longer confused about that.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#90 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:59 pm

Klomp wrote:

That's the exact type of business model Rosas is NOT building here. I get it, you're still used to Thibs. But I can all but guarantee you that this won't be a dictatorship any more.

Klomp I know that he is talking about communication and harmony. So far his actions are speaking louder than his words. Benevolent dictator is the best form of government. I would have no problem with Rosas being a dictator as long as he is wise and benevolent.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#91 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:37 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Seems like you’d be creating a bad situation by promising an assistant a job that currently was just given to someone else.
I’d like to assume Rosas is looking for quality assistants, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think Rosas "promised" anybody anything beyond what he hired them for. I think he is putting the BEST staff he can to have SUCCESS. If Ryan starts to fail, or loses the trust of players, coaches etc. then he has a competent staff member to fill in as interim HC. Then he goes to Taylor and says who he wants to be the next HC. Pretty sure Rosas is hoping Ryan succeeds, makes his job easier.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Nick K wrote:
Domejandro wrote:People are comically overthinking this, Ryan was comfortable with this hire as well. Ryan's job is literally to come up with names he would be comfortable working with, and it is Gersson's job to discuss with Ryan if they can find stronger candidates. David Vanterpool is highly respected as one of the best in the business, and by moving out of Terry Stotts' shadow, he will have more room for growth long-term as Ryan's associate and de facto Defensive Coordinator. He will have a more direct impact on coaching, so while it looks "lateral", it is pretty clearly and upgrade in responsibilities, and accelerates him as a future head coach, if it goes well.

Once again Domejandro you are right as usual. Ryan is on board with these hires for sure. Ryan probably was in on it from the beginning. This is the new Wolves colaborative way of doing things.

The guy I really want is Chad Forcier to take over the offense and teach guys to shoot. Wiggins and Okogie need it big time.

I'd pay the guy substantially more than what he's now getting if I had to to get him. Chad Forcier. Saunders, Forcier and Vanterpool, are a super solid triumvirate.

Nick what is Ryan going to be regarding the hire? Not on board? He doesn't have a choice. If they tell him to eat $hit on toast that is what he is going to do and he's going to smile while he's eating it. Sorry to be crude, but they fired his staff and refused his suggestions for the new staff. Ryan might be nothing, but a figurehead as coach while just about everything is being done by Rosas and the staff.

Will you quit saying they "fired" his staff. Their contracts were up and they went a different direction. (Which is good.)

IMO, it's like we hit a home run considering Vanderpool was a interviewee for the HC position.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:50 pm

"damianlillard: The day I never wanted to see in my career has arrived. @david_vanterpool ... no words"

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#94 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:56 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Nick K wrote:

Will you quit saying they "fired" his staff. Their contracts were up and they went a different direction. (Which is good.)

IMO, it's like we hit a home run considering Vanderpool was a interviewee for the HC position.

Semantics. If it makes you feel better I will try to remember to use declined to retain rather than fired.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,839

Post#95 » by Domejandro » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:04 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Semantics. If it makes you feel better I will try to remember to use declined to retain rather than fired.

They were literally holdovers from Tom Thibodeau's staff, why the **** would we bring them back? Literally makes no sense to retain them, if we are going another direction.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#96 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:10 pm

Domejandro wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

They were literally holdovers from Tom Thibodeau's staff, why the **** would we bring them back? Literally makes no sense to retain them, if we are going another direction.

This is news to me. I was assuming we cleared out all the Thibs hires and let Ryan like most any head coach pick his staff. So are you assuming Ryan wanted them all gone?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Post#97 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:15 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Semantics. If it makes you feel better I will try to remember to use declined to retain rather than fired.

This is news to me. I was assuming we cleared out all the Thibs hires and let Ryan like most any head coach pick his staff. So are you assuming Ryan wanted them all gone?

You're not going to change an entire staff midseason.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:16 pm

KGdaBom wrote:This is news to me. I was assuming we cleared out all the Thibs hires and let Ryan like most any head coach pick his staff. So are you assuming Ryan wanted them all gone?

The only midseason change of assistants after Thibodeau was let go was that Andy Greer was let go and replaced by Jerry Sichting. Everyone else from the Thibs staff finished out their contracts.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#99 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:This is news to me. I was assuming we cleared out all the Thibs hires and let Ryan like most any head coach pick his staff. So are you assuming Ryan wanted them all gone?

The only midseason change of assistants after Thibodeau was let go was that Andy Greer was let go and replaced by Jerry Sichting. Everyone else from the Thibs staff finished out their contracts.

Thanks for the info. With the interim thing that makes sense. So we let Greer go and didn't replace Saunders?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:30 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Thanks for the info. With the interim thing that makes sense. So we let Greer go and didn't replace Saunders?

He actually asked to keep Sid Lowe, but was denied.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves