ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (4.0) *Non-Celtics Talk*

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Festurs
Junior
And1: 375

Re: Around the NBA (4.0) *Non-Celtics Talk* 

Post#601 » by Festurs » Sat Jun 8, 2019 1:29 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Festurs wrote:The concept seems to be to disagree with whatever Pierce says. Beyond unwatchable

That's actually good business, IMO. Paul is my guy (hell, I even named my son after him), but he is cringeworthy on TV.

My boy is also named after him. Coincidentally he was born in 08

I like the fact that he says things different then the norm. Perhaps I am biased.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#602 » by canman1971 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 1:38 am

I don't know why it bothers me, but I hate the fact GS uses "the Town." Don't get me wrong, I get the freaking history of it, but when I think of "town" I think of Northeast.
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 751

Post#603 » by batabatuta » Sat Jun 8, 2019 7:42 am

After watching Toronto taking Game 4 just 1 win shy away from that NBA title, you kinda think about the what-ifs. It could be us there and not Toronto. We did win no.17 in 2007 but it took us decades to get there. So far, we have failed to secure banner no.18. As much faith as i have put in Danny Ainge all these years, when you do think about it, it's kind of hard for management to ignore missing out on a lot of key players especially Giannis and Kwahi. I still think he did a great job managing the roster but maybe it is time to get somebody with a different perspective. He has been too protective of our assets that he missed out on the more important ones. I know most of it was not his fault or nobody could've predicted it but those misses, in the end, reflect on his decision making. I would not be surprised if sooner or later, if things don't go his way quickly, he will get the boot.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#604 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 2:27 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Antoine, O’Brien and Pierce debates were ten times more toxic - I remember, I was there

And throughout it we kept Curm around.

There were others.

But I guess most of the people that found it toxic were perma banned or just quit trying so we're just the weirdos that have stuck around even up to 15 years later haha.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#605 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 2:30 pm

batabatuta wrote:After watching Toronto taking Game 4 just 1 win shy away from that NBA title, you kinda think about the what-ifs. It could be us there and not Toronto. We did win no.17 in 2007 but it took us decades to get there. So far, we have failed to secure banner no.18. As much faith as i have put in Danny Ainge all these years, when you do think about it, it's kind of hard for management to ignore missing out on a lot of key players especially Giannis and Kwahi. I still think he did a great job managing the roster but maybe it is time to get somebody with a different perspective. He has been too protective of our assets that he missed out on the more important ones. I know most of it was not his fault or nobody could've predicted it but those misses, in the end, reflect on his decision making. I would not be surprised if sooner or later, if things don't go his way quickly, he will get the boot.

The lesson to be learned, is yes just like every single season in the NBA you need an MVP to win.

Or you're just trying to do a 1% fluke.

So anything that involves bringing an MVP to your team... instantly makes you one of the few real contending teams in the NBA.

Anything that you say "no the price is too high" instantly makes you a loser.

That and this Raptors team is proving, if KD isn't around. This 5/6 straight NBA Finals team Warriors and old and doesn't have the legs. They might recover and do a revenge ship next season... but the window is open if KD leaves the Warriors for any team to win a ring.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Post#606 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jun 9, 2019 11:28 am

Kyrie with a cameo.
LBJ: "From the brink of baldness, I have restored my hairline." lol
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#607 » by Roddy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Read on Twitter
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#608 » by captain green » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 am

So does durant opt in due to being done for the entire year next year? Because in a weird way there are some positives for the celtics if so.
Minor ones but nonetheless.
Get better KD hate to see injuries in general.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#609 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Anyone else get the sense that if rookie coach NicK Nurse hadn't called time out with about 2 minutes left, that the Raptors and the city of Toronto would today be NBA world champs?.... Before that time out was called, the Raptors were rolling along with a six point lead and seemingly had all the momentum in their favor to close the dubs out...That time out helped the Warriors to reorganize and rest a bit and hurt his own team who then went cold as ice for the remainder of the contest...If I was a Toronto fan, I'd be pissed!.. What an idiotic move to make in that situation!
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man

Post#610 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 pm

captain green wrote:So does durant opt in due to being done for the entire year next year? Because in a weird way there are some positives for the celtics if so.

I think he does...kinda puts the fu-ks to Kyrie's plans a might, dosen't it?

Maybe our resident diva does the same?.... One thing is for sure, by playing hurt Durant proved his worth as a team player...some guys can't say that now!
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#611 » by soxfan2003 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:20 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:Anyone else get the sense that if rookie coach NicK Nurse hadn't called time out with about 2 minutes left, that the Raptors and the city of Toronto would today be NBA world champs?.... Before that time out was called, the Raptors were rolling along with a six point lead and seemingly had all the momentum in their favor to close the dubs out...That time out helped the Warriors to reorganize and rest a bit and hurt his own team who then went cold as ice for the remainder of the contest...If I was a Toronto fan, I'd be pissed!.. What an idiotic move to make in that situation!

I am willing to criticize coaches but I don't blame him for that...still took 3 Warrior 3's with at least one of them being really contested well.... And despite Klay and Curry being the greatest shooting backcourt of all time, the probability of them going 3 for 3 is fairly low.

Celtics lost game 7 in 4th quarter vs Lakers in 2010 IMHO due to a few different issues including 1) refs started calling the game much tighter in 4th quarter and Lakers got the minor fouls in their favor while the Celtics didn't. 2) Celtics tired which ended up giving the refs more of a chance to influence game. Early on once I thought the Celtics may be tired and they were expending lots of energy on D, I wish Rivers burned some of the Celtics timeouts.

If the entire game had been played last night without KD and Curry/Klay had more of a burden and seemed more tired, I'd question the timeout myself. I just think it was normal back and forth and in modern NBA especially against the Warriors, 6 point lead just isn't what it is cracked up to be.

If Warriors didn't have some calls go against them after the timeout, they may have won by 5. On the other hand, the Raptors may have just been a few inches from winning that game. I believe Green barely got a piece of a fairly high percentage corner 3.

Unlike game 4 where the Warriors appeared gassed at times on defensive end, they really seemed okay in 2nd half of game 6. Toronto was just the better more physical team so the Warriors had to get a little lucky that the Raptors missed 3's while Warriors hit theirs at a high rate.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#612 » by djFan71 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
captain green wrote:So does durant opt in due to being done for the entire year next year? Because in a weird way there are some positives for the celtics if so.

I think he does...kinda puts the ***** to Kyrie's plans a might, dosen't it?

Maybe our resident diva does the same?.... One thing is for sure, by playing hurt Durant proved his worth as a team player...some guys can't say that now!

Hadn't even thought of Kyrie opting in. I know it's super-unlikely, but I wonder how quickly Danny would trade him if he opts in? I'd say about half a Chipotle bowl of time.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man

Post#613 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 pm

djFan71 wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:

I think he does...kinda puts the ***** to Kyrie's plans a might, dosen't it?

Hadn't even thought of Kyrie opting in. I know it's super-unlikely, but I wonder how quickly Danny would trade him if he opts in? I'd say about half a Chipotle bowl of time.

I hope Kyrie was watching....And I hope our kids were watching too....KD was John Havlicek last night...He was Tom Heinson, Dave Cowens, KG, Pierce, Kevin McHale and even Larry Bird...And i'm sure I'm leaving out a dozen or so others.... Those guys, all with the Celtic team DNA, would have taken that gamble too...Because they are tough professionals....and because their team needed them....and it was all for the marbles!

You wanna be a Celtic? .... Then strap on your big boy shoes, suck it up and get in the game!
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man

Post#614 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:Anyone else get the sense that if rookie coach NicK Nurse hadn't called time out with about 2 minutes left, that the Raptors and the city of Toronto would today be NBA world champs?.... Before that time out was called, the Raptors were rolling along with a six point lead and seemingly had all the momentum in their favor to close the dubs out...That time out helped the Warriors to reorganize and rest a bit and hurt his own team who then went cold as ice for the remainder of the contest...If I was a Toronto fan, I'd be pissed!.. What an idiotic move to make in that situation!

I am willing to criticize coaches but I don't blame him for that...still took 3 Warrior 3's with at least one of them being really contested well.... And despite Klay and Curry being the greatest shooting backcourt of all time, the probability of them going 3 for 3 is fairly low.

If the entire game had been played last night without KD and Curry/Klay had more of a burden and seemed more tired, I'd question the timeout myself. I just think it was normal back and forth and in modern NBA especially against the Warriors, 6 point lead just isn't what it is cracked up to be.

If Warriors didn't have some calls go against them after the timeout, they may have won by 5. On the other hand, the Raptors may have just been a few inches from winning that game. I believe Green barely got a piece of a fairly high percentage corner 3.

Unlike game 4 where the Warriors appeared gassed at times on defensive end, they really seemed okay in 2nd half of game 6. Toronto was just the better more physical team so the Warriors had to get a little lucky that the Raptors missed 3's while Warriors hit theirs at a high rate.

I still think that time out was dumb...It was almost like he was playing it like you would write up in a game plan.. But his team was feasting on momentum and the crowd was in it ....Then suddenly, they were stopped dead in their tracks....and likely they had the time to think to themselves about how close they were to winning it all....and how they needed to protect that chance instead of just going for it.. I remember Toronto having 4 time outs left...Golden State had but 2 and I'm sure that Steve Kerr was saving them for the end....at that point the Raptors had a run going and a couple of Curry's shots were falling short..and he looked tired and drained emotionally...But that little breather really gave Kerr the TO that he needed and and the rest helped the Dubs. Quite conversely IMO, it really hurt the Raptors chances in the end....Who knows, it could change the series around if GS wins at home in game six...That championship DNA and all?
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#615 » by Iguodaladon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:20 pm

Terrible injury for KD- I still can't believe he risked coming back. That's gonna really sting him in free agency if it turns out to be an achilles tear :-/
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#616 » by soxfan2003 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:

I still think that time out was dumb...It was almost like he was playing it like you would write up in a game plan.. But his team was feasting on momentum and the crowd was in it ....Then suddenly, they were stopped dead in their tracks....and likely they had the time to think to themselves about how close they were to winning it all....and how they needed to protect that chance instead of just going for it.. I remember Toronto having 4 time outs left...Golden State had but 2 and I'm sure that Steve Kerr was saving them for the end....at that point the Raptors had a run going and a couple of Curry's shots were falling short..and he looked tired and drained emotionally...But that little breather really gave Kerr the TO that he needed and and the rest helped the Dubs. Quite conversely IMO, it really hurt the Raptors chances in the end....Who knows, it could change the series around if GS wins at home in game six...That championship DNA and all?

I disagree. I just think people on this one are looking at the finals results which I believe are somewhat random in a game like this since I really don't think either team has players that really let the pressure get to them. Leonard missed a few of the shots and other playoff series this year has shown that he has delivered big time with plenty of time to think of critical shots. The pressure I don't think gets to him at all. He just missed a few good shots and then made an appropriate pass.....Lowry missed shots but one of them blocked and he hit a layup. Gasol missed a shot.

If the betting public knew after those two timeouts that the Warriors down 6 would take a grand total of 3 3's(2 Klay and 1 Curry) and no other shots after the double timeouts and the Raptors 6 shots with most by Leonard/Lowry, I think Vegas would have given Warriors less than 1% chance to win....

The Raptors players just missed -- one great play by Draymond Green forced a miss -- but that energy boost from rest if anything worked in the sense, Toronto did end up getting more opportunities but they just couldn't cash in.

I really think with 3 minutes left, crowd has very little to do with it. Players are giving max effort on both sides.

Unlike game 4, Warriors were never rattled in the 2nd half of game 5. They made some unforced errors, forced errors by great physical Toronto D but I thought all along they were executing their defense and offense to the best of their capabilities given the I believe superior opponent.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#617 » by Dannyboy36 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:34 am

Roddy wrote:
Read on Twitter

What a great guy. Just kidding.
Roddy
Head Coach

Post#618 » by Roddy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:
Roddy wrote:
Read on Twitter

What a great guy. Just kidding.

Great player, but he has always been an a**h***.
Roddy
Head Coach

Post#619 » by Roddy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,946

Post#620 » by Jakeopp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter