ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings Trade Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Re: NBA Free Agency / Trade Thread 

Post#121 » by becorz » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:37 pm

codydaze wrote:An ideal contract in my opinion would be something like 3 years, 30 million with a partial guarantee in year 3. I really like Dedmon and he's probably my ideal target at C just because he can easily transition to the bench this year if GIles breaks out or in year 2 but I would be wary of doing anything beyond 3 years, 35 million. That's probably where I max out my offer and would definitely push for a partial guarantee in year 3 regardless, like 1 or 2 million guaranteed in the final year.

For me, 3 years, $30m, year 3 TO is a pipe dream. I think Atlanta would match that and, in general, I think tie goes to the retaining team, just for familiarity sake. A could see a Milwaukee or Golden State being interested at mid level money. Competing teams like Philly or Toronto (if no Gasol) could talk themselves into him as the ultimate bench big and give him the mid level.

I think whoever signs him is going to have to give that third year, maybe even a fourth year. And I wouldn't do that for him.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#122 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:26 pm

I like Dedmon and Brook, but part of me thinks if it’s not Vucevic, might as well take a chance on a young buck fitting our timeline that can improve than shell out dough for vets who can decline at any time
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#123 » by blind prophet » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:31 am

becorz wrote:
codydaze wrote:An ideal contract in my opinion would be something like 3 years, 30 million with a partial guarantee in year 3. I really like Dedmon and he's probably my ideal target at C just because he can easily transition to the bench this year if GIles breaks out or in year 2 but I would be wary of doing anything beyond 3 years, 35 million. That's probably where I max out my offer and would definitely push for a partial guarantee in year 3 regardless, like 1 or 2 million guaranteed in the final year.

For me, 3 years, $30m, year 3 TO is a pipe dream. I think Atlanta would match that and, in general, I think tie goes to the retaining team, just for familiarity sake. A could see a Milwaukee or Golden State being interested at mid level money. Competing teams like Philly or Toronto (if no Gasol) could talk themselves into him as the ultimate bench big and give him the mid level.

I think whoever signs him is going to have to give that third year, maybe even a fourth year. And I wouldn't do that for him.

If it took 3 years to seal the deal I'd do it. We can always go over cap to retain our youth later if need be.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#124 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:02 pm

Definitely some tough decisions from Vlade this off-season. Given what we need and what is short in the market.

He has done a pretty good job in the last few off-seasons - I think this one is going to definitely be a test.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#125 » by becorz » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:02 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I like Dedmon and Brook, but part of me thinks if it’s not Vucevic, might as well take a chance on a young buck fitting our timeline that can improve than shell out dough for vets who can decline at any time

I don't know, I think that this is the year that the Kings need to go find that veteran entering his prime to come in and take the team from being playoff hopefuls to legitimate good team. A legit starter to put us over the top. You just have to find that team guy that fits the mold of the team, don't get a Jimmy Butler that changes the team.

Obviously, I think Tobias Harris would certainly be that guy. I don't think it happens, but I would love him to come in and just run a Harris/Barnes/Bagley front line.

I think that Khris Middleton fits a similar mold, but I don't see him leaving.

Personally, I think a Bojan Bogdanovic could help transform the team. Our defense would be questionable, but we could put up points.

I would be on those guys doorsteps on day one of free agency. Do everything I can to get them. And when we strike out, I would go after good vets on one year deals. Morris twins, Ed Davis, Jeff Green, any one of the many FA PGs. Try again next year.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#126 » by nolang1 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 1:53 am

I'd definitely be fine with offering Kevon Looney 4 years, $32 million or something like that. I don't know what the market is for him, but there's got to be some price at which Golden State doesn't want to pay that much in repeater tax and would rather replace him with some minsal guy.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#127 » by kalenclayton » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:02 am

nolang1 wrote:I'd definitely be fine with offering Kevon Looney 4 years, $32 million or something like that. I don't know what the market is for him, but there's got to be some price at which Golden State doesn't want to pay that much in repeater tax and would rather replace him with some minsal guy.

I would be livid if we paid him that much. He’s a $3-5 million / year player. I’m cool with a small overpay like $18/3 with TO for the 3rd year, but no bigger.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#128 » by nolang1 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:19 am

kalenclayton wrote:
nolang1 wrote:I'd definitely be fine with offering Kevon Looney 4 years, $32 million or something like that. I don't know what the market is for him, but there's got to be some price at which Golden State doesn't want to pay that much in repeater tax and would rather replace him with some minsal guy.

I would be livid if we paid him that much. He’s a $3-5 million / year player. I’m cool with a small overpay like $18/3 with TO for the 3rd year, but no bigger.

He's 23 years old and #29 in the league in RPM. Literally nobody older than him is ranked higher.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by kalenclayton » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:03 am

nolang1 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

He's 23 years old and #29 in the league in RPM. Literally nobody older than him is ranked higher.

It helps so much that he plays 18 mpg with 4 all stars. He's good at finishing around the rim, pretty good rebounder, and a decent defender. He absolutely has a place in the league, but he will be overrated coming from the Warriors. I don't believe he is worth more than $5 million per year.
Call Me Geoff
Junior
And1: 68

Post#130 » by Call Me Geoff » Sat Jun 8, 2019 2:19 pm

I’d be beyond pissed if we commited 4 yrs at $8mm per for Kevon Looney. He’s a prime example of a guy that looks better than who he is because he’s surrounded by great players. For that money go get Marcus Morris or Dedmon maybe even Beverly. Real difference makers.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#131 » by nolang1 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 10:08 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I would be livid if we paid him that much. He’s a $3-5 million / year player. I’m cool with a small overpay like $18/3 with TO for the 3rd year, but no bigger.

It helps so much that he plays 18 mpg with 4 all stars. He's good at finishing around the rim, pretty good rebounder, and a decent defender. He absolutely has a place in the league, but he will be overrated coming from the Warriors. I don't believe he is worth more than $5 million per year.

Sounds like a starting center to me, especially if you want Bagley to be getting plenty of minutes at the 5. Average player salary is about $10 million.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#132 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:00 pm

I would also take a pass on Kevin Looney. He isn't a stretch C and isn't a particularly good defensive rebounder.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#133 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:55 pm

nolang1 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Have you watched him play? He's mediocre. Not a single stand out skill. Solid bench player but mediocre. He will never move the needle for any team and he's not a particularly good fit for us anyway.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 591

Post#134 » by madskillz8 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Considering Looney, I'd rather have Kings rely on Giles as a starter at 5, and sign/draft a cheaper 5 who can body up stronger players like Embiid. There are very limited number of such players, so what about giving Tacko Fall a chance if he slips to 40?

I'm all in for betting on Dedmon for 3/30+ though.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#135 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 pm

madskillz8 wrote:Considering Looney, I'd rather have Kings rely on Giles as a starter at 5, and sign/draft a cheaper 5 who can body up stronger players like Embiid. There are very limited number of such players, so what about giving Tacko Fall a chance if he slips to 40?

I’m all for the Kings giving Dedmon $30/3. That’s a good deal. I don’t want to spend a penny more though. That’s my max.

I agree 100% with the Looney thing as well. I don’t think he’s a needle-mover and he’s certainly not worth taking minutes away from Giles. When it comes to the 40th pick, I’m not a fan of Tacko. I don’t think he is an NBA player.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#136 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am

I don’t mean to be disrespectful to KD’s injury at all, but there was a small contingent of Kings fans who thought we were somewhat on his radar after a few positive media takes from him - he may be in bounds now for whoever takes a chance to max him
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#137 » by SmellingColors » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:31 am

I don't buy that teams will shy away from giving KD the max because of his injury if for no reason than because the Warriors have struggled in the Finals without him. I can see no situation in which he legitimately considers Sacramento, but I would love to be wrong.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#138 » by nolang1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:08 am

kalenclayton wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:Considering Looney, I'd rather have Kings rely on Giles as a starter at 5, and sign/draft a cheaper 5 who can body up stronger players like Embiid. There are very limited number of such players, so what about giving Tacko Fall a chance if he slips to 40?

I’m all for the Kings giving Dedmon $30/3. That’s a good deal. I don’t want to spend a penny more though. That’s my max.

I agree 100% with the Looney thing as well. I don’t think he’s a needle-mover and he’s certainly not worth taking minutes away from Giles. When it comes to the 40th pick, I’m not a fan of Tacko. I don’t think he is an NBA player.

I don't know how you could classify Dedmon as a needle-mover, and if the choice is between two players who don't move the needle (and the subtext of someone being 'not a needle-mover' at least means they don't make the team worse) I'd go with the one who's younger and cheaper. Let's be real, Joel Embiid dominates players like Dedmon just as easily and it's not like the Kings are going to be matching up with the Sixers in the finals anytime soon. Looney does the little things like rebound (and by this I mean boxing out and hepling the team rebound rather than just trying to snatch a bunch of uncontested boards), move the ball, set good screens, and play defense, and he's proven that he can hang out there in the playoffs. It's not like the Kings need a huge offensive presence out of him, and if you want more of Giles or Bagley at the 5 then you probably should want someone like Looney who's competent, cheap, will be fine without too many minutes/touches, and will leave you with more money to spend on wings.
Call Me Geoff
Junior
And1: 68

Post#139 » by Call Me Geoff » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:46 pm

SmellingColors wrote:I don't buy that teams will shy away from giving KD the max because of his injury if for no reason than because the Warriors have struggled in the Finals without him. I can see no situation in which he legitimately considers Sacramento, but I would love to be wrong.

A) KD is not a FA and he probably won’t be until 2020.

B) I can assure you he will never play for Sac. As much as I’d love to see that happen it won’t. Between agents, shoe companies and corporate endorsements it’s best for the league for KD to be in SF,LA,NY, DC or Chicago. That’s just the way it works.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#140 » by SmellingColors » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Call Me Geoff wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:I don't buy that teams will shy away from giving KD the max because of his injury if for no reason than because the Warriors have struggled in the Finals without him. I can see no situation in which he legitimately considers Sacramento, but I would love to be wrong.

A) KD is not a FA and he probably won’t be until 2020.

B) I can assure you he will never play for Sac. As much as I’d love to see that happen it won’t. Between agents, shoe companies and corporate endorsements it’s best for the league for KD to be in SF,LA,NY, DC or Chicago. That’s just the way it works.

A) I think at that point you're splitting hairs. Sure, he's not a FA technically, but it's his choice whether he accepts his option or not which gives him the freedom to choose where he'd like to sign.

B) I meant exactly that. KD will never play in Sac. A previous poster was suggesting he might and I was disagreeing, but maybe I worded it awkwardly.

Return to Sacramento Kings