ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ BOMB: Nets trade Crabbe, #17, ‘20 1st to Hawks for Taurean Prince, 2021 2nd

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Re: WOJ BOMB: Nets trade Crabbe, #17, ‘20 1st to Hawks for Taurean Prince, 2021 2nd 

Post#181 » by Worst_to_First » Sun Jun 9, 2019 4:39 am

Congratulations on the trade. I’ve always felt that unloading Crabbe’s contract was not difficult and Marks did a great job in that trade with Atlanta. Am sure that he wouldn’t have done that unless he had gotten indication that two marquee FAs wanted to join the Nets.

Being a Knicks fan I had anticipated this happening in terms of losing out in FA. In case this is the reality of things I believe however that it could be a blessing in disguise for us as we have to undergo a full rebuild and I think our FO knows this.

Kyrie’s inclination towards the Nets over the Knicks was also the possible clincher. Just wanted to ask if you guys see him as a clear upgrade over D-Lo, since that you would have to let go of the latter to get Durant.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Re: WOJ BOMB: Nets trade Crabbe, #17, ‘20 1st to Hawks for Taurean Prince, 2021 2nd 

Post#182 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 9, 2019 4:52 am

Worst_to_First wrote:Just wanted to ask if you guys see him as a clear upgrade over D-Lo, since that you would have to let go of e the latter to get Durant.

Me personally, yeah, Kyrie is a huge upgrade over DLo.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#183 » by Worst_to_First » Sun Jun 9, 2019 7:14 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:Just wanted to ask if you guys see him as a clear upgrade over D-Lo, since that you would have to let go of e the latter to get Durant.

Aren’t you guys worried on attitude concerns on Kyrie?

I think he’ll be happier with the Nets though. Atkinson’s system seem to favor scoring PG’s like DLo and Dinwiddie.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#184 » by kamaze » Sun Jun 9, 2019 9:14 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Are you upset that we traded your boy Crabbe?

It's 2 first rounds to dump Crabbe + Prince (a better player/fit) and a 2nd round pick. Its a great trade for us and the hawks.

Sent from my LG-H931 using RealGM mobile app

They traded away too much. Prince is a free agent next year as well so theyll have to spend $ next year to keep him.

He's an upgrade in talent I like him but they're overpaying hes worth the pick just not this year's pick, next years pick AND Crabbe. He was going to expire anyway in about 10 months those picks would have been nice oh well.

Again Prince will be a free agent next year, that's why ATL traded him they didn't want to pay him. I think Brooklyn wouldve been better off just drafting a small forward and a big while also signing a big and keeping Dlo.

Being patient was working but as soon as they got their picks back traded them away.

The cost of getting rid of your boy Crabbe and getting a solid player to fit in our system at SF/PF was worth it.

We officially are now players in the free agent market. It could very well in fact mean that the player on this team you hate the most gets renounced in order to sign both Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant. Why are you bitching? You'd rather have the 17th pick as opposed to getting Kevin Durant??? :lol:

Stop lying trying to make the deal sound better....
It's the 17th pick this year, next years first round pick and a second.
I'm not saying Prince isn't a good player just that they overpaid. Hes only under contract for a year but whatever I'm paranoid lol.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager

Post#185 » by kamaze » Sun Jun 9, 2019 9:27 am

Paradise wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Crabbe is pissed

Read on Twitter

Listen...i like Crabbe, but he's being paid a pretty large sum of money for what resulted in not much in the grand scheme of things. He should thank Sean Marks for even having a chance to earn as much money as he did.

Tbh, I don’t care what he thinks.

The best ability is availability and he was always injured or rehabbing from something. If you can’t be around to contribute, you’re a net negative for the team.

You are being too nice, bro lol

Let’s not forget Crabbe has been the most disappointing addition during the Marks era despite the shooting upside and the sporadic 40 point nights. He flat out never developed past the guy we all saw in Portland.

He’s got literally nothing to be upset about but I do think with Jeremy Lin being upset and now Crabbe, I think we underestimate how deeply connected these guys were to this team and organization.

I think he’s more upset at leaving while we’re rising than leaving at all. He should be glad to land in Atlanta.

It's nothing personal he was a part of the culture. They just had to move his contract to free up cap space.
I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing him back to a team friendly deal next year. If not thanks for being a part of your Brooklyn team family.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#186 » by kamaze » Sun Jun 9, 2019 9:45 am

drchaos wrote:I think Ed Davis finds another team that will pay him more then we can.

Once we use our cap, maybe we can use our exemption the bring back Dudley on a cheap deal.

I like Ed wouldn't mind them bringing him back. Especially if they add another center for cheap in the draft for example.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#187 » by kamaze » Sun Jun 9, 2019 9:53 am

Jstock12 wrote:Prince is legit. I have no clue what the Hawks are doing here. They're not drafting a better player than Prince with that pick. Please help me understand this from the Hawks POV... Is he a bad locker room presence or something?

From the outside looking in it looks like they got a good deal. They've got 3 first round picks now 2 in the lottery. So they saved money by trading Taurean since he's up for a new contract next year.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,574

Post#188 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jun 9, 2019 12:27 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

I think he’ll be happier with the Nets though. Atkinson’s system seem to favor scoring PG’s like DLo and Dinwiddie.

I have serious concerns about his attitude, but the possibility that he actually wants to be here as opposed to how it seems he didn't want to be in Cleveland or Boston may make it a non issue.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,574

Post#189 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jun 9, 2019 12:29 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:
They traded away too much. Prince is a free agent next year as well so theyll have to spend $ next year to keep him.

He's an upgrade in talent I like him but they're overpaying hes worth the pick just not this year's pick, next years pick AND Crabbe. He was going to expire anyway in about 10 months those picks would have been nice oh well.

Again Prince will be a free agent next year, that's why ATL traded him they didn't want to pay him. I think Brooklyn wouldve been better off just drafting a small forward and a big while also signing a big and keeping Dlo.

Being patient was working but as soon as they got their picks back traded them away.

The cost of getting rid of your boy Crabbe and getting a solid player to fit in our system at SF/PF was worth it.

We officially are now players in the free agent market. It could very well in fact mean that the player on this team you hate the most gets renounced in order to sign both Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant. Why are you bitching? You'd rather have the 17th pick as opposed to getting Kevin Durant??? :lol:

I'm not saying Prince isn't a good player just that they overpaid. Hes only under contract for a year but whatever I'm paranoid lol.

The purpose of the trade was to clear out cap space to sign two max contract players. It's not about "overpaying" for Taurean Prince its about getting Allen Crabbe's albatross contract off of the books.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#190 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 9, 2019 1:28 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

The purpose of the trade was to clear out cap space to sign two max contract players. It's not about "overpaying" for Taurean Prince its about getting Allen Crabbe's albatross contract off of the books.

Right...the opportunity to pitch 2 max free agents was something that the Nets valued versus only 1 is valuable, especially considering that some of the max free agents may be linked so that you either get both players or neither.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#191 » by Netaman » Sun Jun 9, 2019 1:50 pm

well to be kind of clear, this also gave them the opportunity to land KD straight away. That's the only move they couldn't make before this deal that they can make now since they already had enough room to sign Kyrie before the deal.

Yes, they have the flexibility to get to 2 maxes now if they want to, but renouncing a 23 year old all star like Russell isn't a minor thing like renouncing DMC or RHJ. That's a big decision that could come back to haunt the franchise. Remember when there were rumors about GS needing to trade Steph Curry because he couldn't stay healthy after his age 23 year? Or when Oladipo was just a salary match for PG? Or when OKC traded Harden bc they didn't think he was worth the full max? This is a different situation and Kyrie is a better player than DLo, but he's also 4 years older, more expensive, and his fit is an unknown (vs. the known with Dlo).
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#192 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Jun 9, 2019 3:18 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:

Just to be clear, because that didn’t read right: We got the 2nd. They got Crabbe, #17 and a lottery protected future 1st. We got Cap space, Prince and Atlanta’s 2021 2nd. If we strike gold this offseason, that pick could be at the tail end of next year’s draft.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#193 » by Netaman » Sun Jun 9, 2019 3:52 pm

The 2nd in 2021 and the 2020 first could end up being no more than 10-20 picks away from each other (though obviously 1 year apart). So in terms of the future picks, that value is certainly something that could practically end up a lot more similar than it seems.

That Marks gave up the 17th pick this year though is still somewhat surprising and telling, I mean with how good he's been drafting we need to think of that like he just gave up Caris Levert or Jarrett Allen and their entire rookie contract. So why would he do that?

1. He knows exactly what he needs that cap room for - and it's worth it.
2. He knows there are picks for sale, so #17 is replaceable if he sees a player he wants falling.
3. He covets Prince and thinks 1 year of his rookie deal is worth that pick.
4. Some combination of all 3.

I'm guessing the answer is #4 but would speculate that #1 has to be the key trigger for the deal to do agree to it before seeing how the draft actually breaks. He needed to have the flexibility to do whatever he needs to do in FA because he's confident he's landing 1 of his top targets - and he couldn't risk waiting to have that flexibility. And via FA every teams obvious top 2 targets would be KD or Leonard, with KD seeming to be the more likely option in this scenario since he's the only 35% max player we couldn't previously afford but now can.

Greg Logan had an interesting tweet storm last night speculating on KD as well as the Kyrie rumors possibly coming from Kyrie side of things in an effort to get in on what's about to happen here (as opposed to being Marks' top target). That would certainly make sense as to why he's been the only guy we've specifically been connected to despite there likely being other top targets on Marks' board.
Read on Twitter
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#194 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 9, 2019 5:12 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

No i think he would be an asset there and a great leader. The problem in bostonw as all their young players have huge egos and have earned nothing. similar to butler with minnesota situation
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#195 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 9, 2019 5:13 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:

we didnt overpay at all... Crabbe is a horrible contract, that costs a first. Prince is a 24 year old Demarre carrol, he is worth a non lotto first as well

if anythingm we got off cheap because they dont want to pay prince
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#196 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 9, 2019 5:15 pm

kamaze wrote:
Paradise wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Tbh, I don’t care what he thinks.

The best ability is availability and he was always injured or rehabbing from something. If you can’t be around to contribute, you’re a net negative for the team.

You are being too nice, bro lol

Let’s not forget Crabbe has been the most disappointing addition during the Marks era despite the shooting upside and the sporadic 40 point nights. He flat out never developed past the guy we all saw in Portland.

He’s got literally nothing to be upset about but I do think with Jeremy Lin being upset and now Crabbe, I think we underestimate how deeply connected these guys were to this team and organization.

I think he’s more upset at leaving while we’re rising than leaving at all. He should be glad to land in Atlanta.

It's nothing personal he was a part of the culture. They just had to move his contract to free up cap space.
I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing him back to a team friendly deal next year. If not thanks for being a part of your Brooklyn team family.

he wasnt really though... when the whole team was getting together to work hard and bond he was always skipping out.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#197 » by DarkXaero » Sun Jun 9, 2019 6:02 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

I'm a bit worried, but not as much as the current perception around the league. I think he has received a lot of unfair criticism/blame from Celtics, their media & fans. And like you said, I think he would be much happier here.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#198 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 9, 2019 6:10 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Me personally, yeah, Kyrie is a huge upgrade over DLo.

I'm a bit worried, but not as much as the current perception around the league. I think he has received a lot of unfair criticism/blame from Celtics, their media & fans. And like you said, I think he would be much happier here.
While I agree with you, I'm hopeful that he recognizes that he would need to check himself a bit.

The reason why we've been on the rise has been due to the attitude of our players and the transparency of management. I'm not saying that he must change, but he at least needs to be open to the idea of it, especially if it's for the betterment of the team.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#199 » by DarkXaero » Sun Jun 9, 2019 6:17 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

While I agree with you, I'm hopeful that he recognizes that he would need to check himself a bit.

The reason why we've been on the rise has been due to the attitude of our players and the transparency of management. I'm not saying that he must change, but he at least needs to be open to the idea of it, especially if it's for the betterment of the team.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Yeah, no doubt. He definitely is a bit weird by all accounts, so hopefully he fits in here. Although, it has been reported for a while that Kyrie is a fan of our culture and what we have done, so that's a good sign. Before all these current rumors, remember that it was David Griffin (Kyrie's former GM) who said that Kyrie really likes what we've done.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#200 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sun Jun 9, 2019 7:31 pm

Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

we didnt overpay at all... Crabbe is a horrible contract, that costs a first. Prince is a 24 year old Demarre carrol, he is worth a non lotto first as well

if anythingm we got off cheap because they dont want to pay prince

I agree. I know this is a guaranteed situation, but as a reference point here is the list of every player picked 17th since 2013:

Dennis Schroder
James Young
Rashad Vaughn
Wade Baldwin IV
D.J. Wilson
Donte DiVincenzo

Between that list, the notion that this draft class is thought of as relatively weak, and the fact that the nets still have a first rounder, I feel comfortable with this part of the trade.

And this is before you factor in the fact that Prince is younger, cheaper, and addresses a bigger need on this nets team is a huge win.

Return to Brooklyn Nets