Your Offseason Plan

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Ruaidri
Freshman
And1: 21

Re: Your Offseason Plan 

Post#61 » by Ruaidri » Sun Jun 9, 2019 8:43 pm

My plan, Sign Thad Young for 3 years 42m.
Bojan 2 years 30m.

Than trade our pick for Jrue Holiday. I believe with the cap space we have we can absorb his salary,

Thad will keep starting. So our starting five get an upgrade. Don't forget we won 48 games, with a healthy Oladipo this team with Jrue added can get to 55,60.

I would like to re-sign Collisson,Quinn and Matthews for the veteran minimum. With Aaron and Sumner our guards are than full.

We draft in the second round a forward with good rebounding.

Sabonis gets extension for around 16m per year. He stays our 6th man. I don't believe that a frontcourt of Sabonis and Turner for long periods in the game can work.a few minutes per game should be able. Also big man are more injured than the little ones, so a great back-up big is a luxury you need to compete for the top spots.

Rotation will be
Holiday Holiday Collisson
Oladipo Sumner Matthews
Bojan Mcdermott Johnson
Thad Leaf pick
Turner Sabonis Quinn

I believe same salary range as this year and able to really go for the top spots in the east if Oladipo is healthy at the start of the season.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#62 » by Wizop » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:42 pm

WireTap reports that New Orleans plans to keep Holiday.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#63 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Ruaidri wrote:My plan, Sign Thad Young for 3 years 42m.
Bojan 2 years 30m.

Than trade our pick for Jrue Holiday. I believe with the cap space we have we can absorb his salary,

Thad will keep starting. So our starting five get an upgrade. Don't forget we won 48 games, with a healthy Oladipo this team with Jrue added can get to 55,60.

I would like to re-sign Collisson,Quinn and Matthews for the veteran minimum. With Aaron and Sumner our guards are than full.

We draft in the second round a forward with good rebounding.

Sabonis gets extension for around 16m per year. He stays our 6th man. I don't believe that a frontcourt of Sabonis and Turner for long periods in the game can work.a few minutes per game should be able. Also big man are more injured than the little ones, so a great back-up big is a luxury you need to compete for the top spots.

Rotation will be
Holiday Holiday Collisson
Oladipo Sumner Matthews
Bojan Mcdermott Johnson
Thad Leaf pick
Turner Sabonis Quinn

I believe same salary range as this year and able to really go for the top spots in the east if Oladipo is healthy at the start of the season.

Love your optimism and yes, that team you assembled would be delightful. But I’m sorry to report that, other than the Thad signing, no other trades or numbers are anywhere near realistic. Jrue is worth MUCH more in trade than number 18. Maybe 18+Dom+Aaron? Bojan will get much more than $15m per, and for longer than 2 years. Probably closer to 3/60. Collison, Quinn, and Matthews will all get much more money than the vet minimum. One might take less for a championship contender, but all likely in the $4-8m range per year.

Lastly, the Dom extension. Keep in mind that Myles took what was viewed as a discount to stay here at $18m. Dom will likely get more, even if he takes a discount, simply because the cap is rising. I’d pencil in a minimum of $20m per year.
Ruaidri
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#64 » by Ruaidri » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:27 pm

I read on a couple of sites that Matthews wants to play for a contending team and is willing to play for the veteran minimum. Indiana is a top 10 team, so I assume he wants to be back. Collisson I am not sure, but what are his options? Quinn I have no idea, but to me it is a minimum for him or out of the league.

Than Bojan. Who is willing to pay him a lot more than 15m a year? Most teams with cap space want to get a max player. He is for sure not a max player. He is also not an allstar, not even close. His age is also a big factor, nobody expects that he will get much better than he is now. So who can and who would pay more than 15m a season?

We only have a chance when New Orleans wants to clean their house and get rid of all the big contracts. To build a new team through the draft than they only want draft picks. When New Orleans wants to keep Jrue to get back to the play-offs quickly we have no chance to get him.

All Pritchard can do, is get good deals. Every year there are under radar signings. That are far more important signings than the big headlines. A good to great team is build over time and with patients.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Ruaidri wrote:I read on a couple of sites that Matthews wants to play for a contending team and is willing to play for the veteran minimum. Indiana is a top 10 team, so I assume he wants to be back.

The only place I've seen it mentioned that Wes was trending toward a vet minimum was by Keith Smith in his writeup of the Pacers here on RealGM. A few places that simply republish reports quoted it, but no one else believes he's a minimum guy. I think he's a $4-6m guy, though he may take a vet minimum for someone like the Warriors or Raptors (if Kawhi returns but Green doesn't). An absolute chance at a championship.

Ruaidri wrote: Collisson I am not sure, but what are his options?

Collison is a guy that will get a ton of interest with people's room exceptions (so he won't affect cap space), or when people split their MLE's. Look at Orlando, Phoenix, Clippers, Portland, Boston, and well, anyone who would love a solid PG off the bench to have interest in him. He's a solid vet who doesn't turn the ball over, even at the risk of playing overly cautious and he hit's the 3.

Ruaidri wrote:Quinn I have no idea, but to me it is a minimum for him or out of the league.

I think you drastically misread the situation then. KOQ took a decent pay cut and shorter contract to play for us, a team he viewed as a playoff contender, even knowing he'd be the 3rd center. He will likely get multiple offers to be people's primary backup center, and anywhere in salary from the room exception up to the full MLE.

Ruaidri wrote:Than Bojan. Who is willing to pay him a lot more than 15m a year? Most teams with cap space want to get a max player. He is for sure not a max player. He is also not an allstar, not even close. His age is also a big factor, nobody expects that he will get much better than he is now. So who can and who would pay more than 15m a season?

San Antonio has been mentioned in the past days as willing to clear DeMar Derozan to offer Bojan a big contract. He's also mentioned popularly as a fallback once the max salary guys sign and there's still something like 5-7 teams left with max salary space. Sure, he's 30, but most championship contending teams have a core from 27-32. He's only finished his 5th season in the NBA, and he's improved drastically over the last several seasons, so it's hard not to imagine that he'll continue to be a very solid wing, if not even better than he showed this past year. Again, once the few max guys sign (likely with the teams their already with, or figure out ways to double up, there will still be teams that have a starting spot and max salary. Even if Indy can keep him, it'll likely take all our early bird rights, with a first year salary at $18.375m, meaning a 2 year deal would be over $38m, and a 3 year deal would be almost $60m.

Ruaidri wrote:We only have a chance when New Orleans wants to clean their house and get rid of all the big contracts. To build a new team through the draft than they only want draft picks. When New Orleans wants to keep Jrue to get back to the play-offs quickly we have no chance to get him.

New Orleans doesn't, and hasn't wanted to clean house. Surprisingly, their books are relatively clear. Their only bad contract is a one year deal for our old Solo Hill. Otherwise, they have made it very clear they want to keep Jrue, and he's not a bad contract. But if he hit the market? He'd take much more than the 18th pick. Phoenix would offer up their 6th pick in a second, and maybe add more. We'd likely have to send at least Dom/18 to even start negotiations, and may have to add another pick on top of that, or take back Solo Hill, too (meaning no Bojan, Thad, Collison, Joseph, O'Quinn,etc. returning).

Ruaidri wrote:All Pritchard can do, is get good deals. Every year there are under radar signings. That are far more important signings than the big headlines. A good to great team is build over time and with patients.

Absolutely agreed. I think we're all pretty much of the understanding that's what will happen. It's how we got Bojan to begin with. It's how we got David West. Ultimately, just be realistic, too. Basketball is more expensive than you planned out, and I just don't want you to be upset when that course of action doesn't happen. Be prepared for those top notch acquisitions to cost a bit more than you think.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#66 » by Pacercoltboiler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 am

I'd just keep it simple. I don't think we would get value back on trading 18 or Sabonis. I'd resign Bojan and Young, and then bring back Lance. I'd also try to get Marcus Morris. With the 18th, I'd go for Ty Jerome. He is a smart guy who can handle and shoot and he makes your team better.
Jerome/Holiday
Lance(until Victor is up and running), Oladipo
Bogdonovich/ ?(I really don't know a good value add here)
Morris/Young
Turner/Sabonis

Lance could attack and Bogey and Jerome could nail shots. Turner would anchor and Morris brings some offense next to Turner. Holiday, Young, and Sabonis are great pieces on the bench, but we need another 2 guard until Victor is ready and we still need someone who can hit 3's to back up Bogdonavich.
Tomhomes33
Rookie
And1: 795

Post#67 » by Tomhomes33 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 am

MUpacersSIC wrote:What is your ideal (relatively) realistic offseason plan for the Pacers?

Here are my two scenarios... one trading Sabonis, and one keeping him.

SCENARIO #1:

Trade
IND Incoming:
Jaylen Brown

BOS Incoming:
Domas Sabonis
#18 Pick

Draft Targets:
-Nickeil Alexander-Walker (SG)
-PJ Washington (PF)
-Luka Samanic
-Tyler Herro
-Matisse Thybulle
-Darius Bazley
-Goga Bitadze
-Nic Claxton

Free Agency
-Sign Malcolm Brogdon (4/$72mil)
-Sign Kevon Looney (3/$12mil)
-Sign Julius Randle (4/$60mil)
-Sign Richaun Holmes (2/$8mil)

Roster
PG Malcolm Brogdon/Aaron Holiday/Shamorie Ponds (#50)
SG Victor Oladipo/Nickeil Alexander-Walker (#20)/Edmond Sumner
SF Jaylen Brown/Doug McDermott/Mattise Thybulle (#22)
PF Julius Randle/TJ Leaf/Alize Johnson
C Myles Turner/Kevon Looney/Richaun Holmes

SCENARIO #2:

Trade
IND Incoming:

BKLN Incoming:

Draft Targets:
-PJ Washington (PF)
-Luka Samanic
-Tyler Herro
-Matisse Thybulle
-Darius Bazley
-Goga Bitadze
-Nic Claxton

Free Agency
-Re-Sign: Bojan Bogdanovic (3/$54mil - $17/per)
-Sign: Malcolm Brogdon (4/$72mil - $18/per)
-Sign: Austin Rivers (3/$21mil - $7/per)
-Sign: Kevon Looney (3/$12mil - $4/per)

Roster
SG Victor Oladipo/Austin Rivers/Edmond Sumner
SF Bojan Bogdanovic/Doug McDermott/Mattise Thybulle (#27)
PF Domas Sabonis/TJ Leaf/Alize Johnson
C Myles Turner/Kevon Looney/Nic Claxton (#31)

LOL I stopped reading after Looney 4mill/per..but even before Brogdon at 17mill not hapenning..just a dumb post
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#68 » by MUpacersSIC » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 am

Tomhomes33 wrote:
MUpacersSIC wrote:What is your ideal (relatively) realistic offseason plan for the Pacers?

SCENARIO #1:

Trade
IND Incoming:
Jaylen Brown

BOS Incoming:
Domas Sabonis
#18 Pick

Draft Targets:
-PJ Washington (PF)
-Luka Samanic
-Tyler Herro
-Matisse Thybulle
-Darius Bazley
-Goga Bitadze
-Nic Claxton

Free Agency

Roster

SCENARIO #2:

Trade
IND Incoming:

BKLN Incoming:

Draft Targets:
-PJ Washington (PF)
-Luka Samanic
-Tyler Herro
-Matisse Thybulle
-Darius Bazley
-Goga Bitadze
-Nic Claxton

Free Agency

Roster

LOL I stopped reading after Looney 4mill/per..but even before Brogdon at 17mill not hapenning..just a dumb post

Excuse me? If you’re going to call a post dumb at least explain why you think so. I’ll come back to this after free agency and we’ll see how close the numbers were.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman

Post#69 » by Pacercoltboiler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 am

If we do move one of our bigs, Kevon Looney would be a great target. His defense is great, and he kills people on the boards. I don't know the contract stuff, but I image his play will garner some bigger money. Still would cost significantly less than one of the bigs we would move.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman

Post#70 » by Pacercoltboiler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:41 am

What is the word on Terrence Ross? I saw him play well in playoffs. What could he bring a team?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#71 » by Tom White » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:51 am

Tomhomes33 wrote:LOL I stopped reading after Looney 4mill/per..but even before Brogdon at 17mill not hapenning..just a dumb post

Just a bit harsh, don't you think? Not winning any awards for diplomacy.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:42 pm

Tomhomes33 wrote:LOL I stopped reading after Looney 4mill/per..but even before Brogdon at 17mill not hapenning..just a dumb post

I don't know about the free agent numbers but the pick swaps are interesting if possible. have to wonder what Boston is going to do if Irving and Horford are on the move. hate to help an Eastern rival though.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#73 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:45 pm

Pacercoltboiler wrote:What is the word on Terrence Ross? I saw him play well in playoffs. What could he bring a team?

I think it is fair to say that Dan Burke taught Bogie to defend. if he could do the same for Ross, he'd fit nicely. he'd be particularly helpful if Bogie gets an offer we can't compete with.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Pacercoltboiler wrote:I'd just keep it simple. I don't think we would get value back on trading 18 or Sabonis. I'd resign Bojan and Young, and then bring back Lance. I'd also try to get Marcus Morris. With the 18th, I'd go for Ty Jerome. He is a smart guy who can handle and shoot and he makes your team better.
Jerome/Holiday
Lance(until Victor is up and running), Oladipo
Bogdonovich/ ?(I really don't know a good value add here)
Morris/Young
Turner/Sabonis

Lance could attack and Bogey and Jerome could nail shots. Turner would anchor and Morris brings some offense next to Turner. Holiday, Young, and Sabonis are great pieces on the bench, but we need another 2 guard until Victor is ready and we still need someone who can hit 3's to back up Bogdonavich.

Like a Doug McDermott? Good news, we already have one! :lol:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Tomhomes33 wrote:

SCENARIO #1:

Trade
IND Incoming:
Jaylen Brown

BOS Incoming:
Domas Sabonis
#18 Pick

Draft Targets:
-PJ Washington (PF)
-Luka Samanic
-Tyler Herro
-Matisse Thybulle
-Darius Bazley
-Goga Bitadze
-Nic Claxton

Free Agency

Roster

SCENARIO #2:

Trade
IND Incoming:

BKLN Incoming:

Draft Targets:
-PJ Washington (PF)
-Luka Samanic
-Tyler Herro
-Matisse Thybulle
-Darius Bazley
-Goga Bitadze
-Nic Claxton

Free Agency

Roster

Why is it a dumb post? It's not insanely off valuewise. Brogdon will likely get 25% more. Looney is pretty fairly valued. You may not like the decisions, but they're priced pretty close.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacercoltboiler wrote:What is the word on Terrence Ross? I saw him play well in playoffs. What could he bring a team?

I think it is fair to say that Dan Burke taught Bogie to defend. if he could do the same for Ross, he'd fit nicely. he'd be particularly helpful if Bogie gets an offer we can't compete with.

I think Ross will sign for pretty close to what Bogie gets. I also think he's a guy that wants to shoot, and the more he shoots, the less he defends. He's only going to exert energy on one end, never both, and he thinks he should be a starting two guard with all the shots.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think Ross will sign for pretty close to what Bogie gets.

then I prefer Bogie.

I'm following the Utah situation with interest. if they make the deal with Memphis, that could free up a point guard for us,
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I think Ross will sign for pretty close to what Bogie gets.

then I prefer Bogie.

I'm following the Utah situation with interest. if they make the deal with Memphis, that could free up a point guard for us,

I don't love the Rubio possibility, unless it's just real dirt cheap. Caitlin Cooper explained my worries well here:
https://www.indycornrows.com/2019/6/18/18684108/a-rubio-oladipo-backcourt-for-the-pacers

For me, adding another complete non-threat from beyond the arc, or any jump shot really, just makes it tougher for Oladipo/Bogey, especially if we have Dom in the starting lineup as well. Or doubly especially if we keep Thad.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#79 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I don't love the Rubio possibility, unless it's just real dirt cheap.

Exum?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I don't love the Rubio possibility, unless it's just real dirt cheap.

Exum?

I think Exum would have to go to Memphis as salary filler to make a Conley deal work, legally. I'm sure they would love to dump him, though. I don't mind adding him as a long-term development kind of guy. He's expensive for that. But he's definitely got to get healthy enough to play first, and I'm not sure he'd be ready for camp with his torn patellar tendon from March. I don't know that I want to pay him $10m to rehab for a year and then hope he's developed any sort of a shot or offensive IQ during that time period.

Honestly, I'd probably want a pick for taking him on.

Return to Indiana Pacers