2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#541 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:04 am

Great wrote:The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words per communicated per video.

The stats are here on RealGM.

The players in the moving images fall in the context of positions of need.

The discussion in the thread is of off season roster considerations.

Time to get out the popcorn.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#542 » by Boneman2 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:23 am

Great wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Great wrote:
The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words per communicated per video.

So, spam, then.

And discussion happens here. Words are posted and read. Ideas are shared. It's not just a farm to get clicks for your youtube account. And, please, tell me what you think Sindarius Thornwell provides. He's proven he doesn't belong in the NBA the last two years. Why are you sharing him here? This is where your WORDS come into play and are very important.

Facts only.
The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words communicated per video.

farming for views. Your videos might fly if you would explain yourself better. DRose was a good suggestion but you lost all credibility with Thornwell. Is he your brother?
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#543 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:39 am

Tom White wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:....If/when Vic is healthy........

Is this not the key to the whole discussion? How convinced (or not) is the team this will happen and when?

I’m not a doctor (I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night) so I don’t know. But this is the only year in the near future we will have cap space. In my opinion you have to attack it as if Vic is healthy because I’m assuming one day he will be. Can’t be short sighted on next year. Who we sign has to be a long term solution.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#544 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 7, 2019 7:32 pm

Great wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Great wrote:
The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words per communicated per video.

So, spam, then.

And discussion happens here. Words are posted and read. Ideas are shared. It's not just a farm to get clicks for your youtube account. And, please, tell me what you think Sindarius Thornwell provides. He's proven he doesn't belong in the NBA the last two years. Why are you sharing him here? This is where your WORDS come into play and are very important.

Facts only.
The pictures speak objectively. Thousands of words communicated per video.

So, not sure if you know, but just posting YouTube videos with no context is a bannable offense on the overall RealGM forums. All I’m asking is, why do you think these players are good fits in offseason threads for these teams? You seem to post these on Orlando, New Orleans, Detroit, and our forums, when we all have different rosters and needs, so it doesn’t make sense. What do you think needs to be said about them in particular to our team and the forum you’re posting on or what discussion are you trying to lead or join in on? A G League highlight video or a Euro league highlight video of one game doesn’t tell us anything. What made you think that they’d be great adds to our teams in particular?

Also, by the amount of Euro players you post, maybe English isn’t your native language? If so, please, don’t let that stop you from posting here. We’ve got lots of posters from around the world. Your grammar won’t be judged in any way, just the quality of your posts.

Also, it helps let us know that you’re a real person and not just a bot that auto posts video across the forums. Thanks.
Boneman2
General Manager

Post#545 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 6:04 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:Pritchard needs a point guard to make Sabonis' p&r a reliable weapon.

list:
Rozier
DRussell
KDunn (cap space)
Elfrid
IT
Rondo
Rubio
Brogdon (RFA)
George Hill (released)
Collison (Bring him back)
Schroeder

There is a lot of point guard talent available. Based off the above DRuss would be my choice followed by Brogdon but both of these guys are about to be massively overpaid so I'd pass. Rondo could run the p&r with Sabonis but he is too old. I am back on the Elfrid Payton wagon. He will be relatively cheap and he sounds like the perfect point guard to pair with Sabonis. Check out this article by Hoopshype's Bryan Kalbrasky.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/03/20/new-orleans-pelicans-elfrid-payton-triple-double-scouting-report-analysis/

When breaking down his success, one of the first things that pops out is his effectiveness creating out of the pick-and-roll. There, his numbers begin to jump off the page and show why he’s been so productive as of late.

when tasked with high pick-and-roll plays, Payton has risen to the occasion with extraordinary success.

If adding him improves Sabonis then it's a win-win

I disagree. I think the number one thing we need in a PG is someone to spread the floor. If/when Vic is healthy he is going to be on the ball and in the P&R. Adding some of those non shooters that are good in the P&R that you listed is going to allow their man to sink and help.

Having a PG who can shoot threes is nice thankfully we've got Holiday for that. Oladipo isn't capable of being on the ball to the point we should value an off the ball, three point threat (basically Collison) over a triple double threat who can run half court sets with ease.

I really believe we need a primary ball handler but say Pritchard sees it your way and wants to add another shooter at point guard. At this point I wouldn't hesitate re-signing George Hill (after Milwaukee declines). Although he was a horrible fit the first time around it's possible he could mesh with Oladipo quite well.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#546 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 8, 2019 12:03 pm

Boneman2 wrote:I really believe we need a primary ball handler but say Pritchard sees it your way and wants to add another shooter at point guard. At this point I wouldn't hesitate re-signing George Hill (after Milwaukee declines). Although he was a horrible fit the first time around it's possible he could mesh with Oladipo quite well.

I can see GHill but I can also see CoJo. both can defend. I can also see bringing Wesley back if the RealGM write up is correct in saying he's looking at the veteran minimum.

there have been a lot of posts here saying we shouldn't bring Thad back because that takes the pressure off the coaches to start Sabonis at 4. isn't the same true at point guard? doesn't bringing in any point guard under 30, say Russell, take the pressure off the coaches to develop Holiday?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Boneman2
General Manager

Post#547 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:27 pm

Wizop wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:I really believe we need a primary ball handler but say Pritchard sees it your way and wants to add another shooter at point guard. At this point I wouldn't hesitate re-signing George Hill (after Milwaukee declines). Although he was a horrible fit the first time around it's possible he could mesh with Oladipo quite well.

I can see GHill but I can also see CoJo. both can defend. I can also see bringing Wesley back if the RealGM write up is correct in saying he's looking at the veteran minimum.

there have been a lot of posts here saying we shouldn't bring Thad back because that takes the pressure off the coaches to start Sabonis at 4. isn't the same true at point guard? doesn't bringing in any point guard under 30, say Russell, take the pressure off the coaches to develop Holiday?

Yes, the same holds true at point guard however the pressure will still be on the coaches to develop Holiday, regardless of whomever Pritchard brings in, by virtue of his role expanding to the second unit. Pritchard would have to bring in two point guards ahead of Aaron for this to apply to him.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#548 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:55 pm

8305 wrote:I like Rubio. Probably no one on the list that's a better guy off the dribble, plus defender and has spent the last two years playing with Mitchel (who's pretty similar to Vic).

I have Rubio as a potential target too. His shooting isn't great, but I agree that we need better playmaking more than anything else. And short of signing a superstar wing like a Kawhi or a Butler, I think the playmaking will have to come from the PG position.

Shooting is important, but if that's the only criteria we're using to evaluate PGs, then we might as well re-sign DC. He did lead the league in 3P% (a blistering 46.8%) 2 seasons ago... not sure we can get better shooting than that. But I think most of us don't consider DC the answer....
Wizop
RealGM

Post#549 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:57 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Yes, the same holds true at point guard however the pressure will still be on the coaches to develop Holiday, regardless of whomever Pritchard brings in, by virtue of his role expanding to the second unit. Pritchard would have to bring in two point guards ahead of Aaron for this to apply to him.

If we bring in a new 30 year old point guard , Aaron gets the second unit minutes and there is no problem. But if we bring in a 24 year old point guard to start ahead of Aaron we've basically said Aaron's not the long term answer. he might not be, but I don't think we know that yet so I don't want to block him.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#550 » by boomershadow » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:00 pm

Right now I'm hoping that free agency brings us a point guard, but if we did end up spending a significant chunk of our capspace on someone like Tobias Harris....then a shooter/defender like George Hill would make a lot of sense.
Boneman2
General Manager

Post#551 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:25 pm

Wizop wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:Yes, the same holds true at point guard however the pressure will still be on the coaches to develop Holiday, regardless of whomever Pritchard brings in, by virtue of his role expanding to the second unit. Pritchard would have to bring in two point guards ahead of Aaron for this to apply to him.

If we bring in a new 30 year old point guard , Aaron gets the second unit minutes and there is no problem. But if we bring in a 24 year old point guard to start ahead of Aaron we've basically said Aaron's not the long term answer. he might not be, but I don't think we know that yet so I don't want to block him.

I agree that we do not want to block Aaron. However, I don't think age is relevant as long as said player brings competition thus elevating Holiday in the process. Also remember McMillan will roll with two point guard sets at times. I believe Aaron's floor in terms of mpg will be around 22, regardless of future transactions. Whether he takes the next step will depend on him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#552 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:34 pm

Wizop wrote:

I think you generally need 3 really good guards, so I don’t see adding a guy like Conley, Jrue, Russell, etc, burying Holiday, but allowing you to play 48 great minutes every night, so long as the 2nd guy has some size to be flexible on offense and defense.

If we go with an older placeholder, Collison is a nice answer as a vet instructor, but I see Beverley and George Hill being a bit more of a fit as a kind of 3 and D guy who doesn’t have to handle the ball to be successful.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#553 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 8, 2019 7:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think you generally need 3 really good guards, so I don’t see adding a guy like Conley, Jrue, Russell, etc, burying Holiday, but allowing you to play 48 great minutes every night, so long as the 2nd guy has some size to be flexible on offense and defense.

If we go with an older placeholder, Collison is a nice answer as a vet instructor, but I see Beverley and George Hill being a bit more of a fit as a kind of 3 and D guy who doesn’t have to handle the ball to be successful.

I'm good with a 3 guard rotation but that means Vic, Holiday, and someone who can play both 1 and 2. that puts CoJo and Hill ahead of some others for me.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#554 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:54 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I think you generally need 3 really good guards, so I don’t see adding a guy like Conley, Jrue, Russell, etc, burying Holiday, but allowing you to play 48 great minutes every night, so long as the 2nd guy has some size to be flexible on offense and defense.

I'm good with a 3 guard rotation but that means Vic, Holiday, and someone who can play both 1 and 2. that puts CoJo and Hill ahead of some others for me.

I think even if we spent big money on a Russell, he’d fit. He plays the 1 and 2. Same for a Jrue or Brogdon. Even Conley has the ability to play the 1 and 2. As for vets, Beverley, Hill, Joseph, Rubio, or Seth Curry fit.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#555 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:34 am

FWIW: Both Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks have mentioned the possibility of Indy throwing a ton of money at Khris Middleton, and that that wouldn't necessarily mean that Bogie was gone, either (Bogie playing small ball 4?)
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#556 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:41 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:FWIW: Both Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks have mentioned the possibility of Indy throwing a ton of money at Khris Middleton, and that that wouldn't necessarily mean that Bogie was gone, either (Bogie playing small ball 4?)

Yeah we've probably been the most consistent team mentioned for Middleton. Even if we keep Bogie, I'm not a big fan of his at that price.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#557 » by MUpacersSIC » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:21 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:FWIW: Both Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks have mentioned the possibility of Indy throwing a ton of money at Khris Middleton, and that that wouldn't necessarily mean that Bogie was gone, either (Bogie playing small ball 4?)

Yeah we've probably been the most consistent team mentioned for Middleton. Even if we keep Bogie, I'm not a big fan of his at that price.

If they can get him for $27 or $28mil per it can be done. I wouldn’t give him anything more than that. I feel like Middleton would play the 4 in that scenario and the Pacers would trade Domas for a wing/PG.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#558 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Hypothetical: Minnesota wants out of Dieng, would you take the 11th pick to eat Dieng and Teague? We give them a top 55 protected 2nd or maybe send them Doug McD.

Dieng played well when he was getting playing time, could he be the back up center if Dom moves to the starting line up? He has 2 years remaining on his deal very over paid. $16,229,213 and $17,287,64.

Would the 11th pick be enough for us to take him and Teague?

Teague we all know, when healthy he was pretty good. He has one year left at $19 million and has opted in.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#559 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

If they can get him for $27 or $28mil per it can be done. I wouldn’t give him anything more than that. I feel like Middleton would play the 4 in that scenario and the Pacers would trade Domas for a wing/PG.

I don't think that would be good for the Pacers long term. I think Middleton is over rated.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#560 » by MUpacersSIC » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
MUpacersSIC wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

I don't think that would be good for the Pacers long term. I think Middleton is over rated.

I don't disagree that he's a little overrated, but the issue is who else will the Pacers ever be able to get? I'd prefer Brogdon at $18/per.

Return to Indiana Pacers