ImageImageImage

Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Re: Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs) 

Post#441 » by James40 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:23 am

Looks like KD blew out his Achilles, that’s brutal.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,423

Post#442 » by Revived » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 am

Negrodamus wrote:Honestly, go Warriors. Cheering KD's injury was embarrassing.

Read on Twitter

It happens. Important to realize that every fan base in every sport has some idiots and they don’t represent the fanbase as a whole.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#443 » by Wilfried » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:12 am

Will this change Kyrie's plans?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#444 » by mjkvol » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Remember when Kawhi was obliterating the Warriors for like 10 consecutive points and complete momentum.... and Nick Nurse called a timeout?

Absolutely bizarre, and yet I've read nothing about it this morning. Nothing about that or the two hideous GS turnovers that almost cost them the game. Man, what the hell happened to actual reporting? That's rhetorical, of course.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,754

Post#445 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:46 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Remember when Kawhi was obliterating the Warriors for like 10 consecutive points and complete momentum.... and Nick Nurse called a timeout?

Absolutely bizarre, and yet I've read nothing about it this morning. Nothing about that or the two hideous GS turnovers that almost cost them the game. Man, what the hell happened to actual reporting? That's rhetorical, of course.

I've heard it mentioned in some podcasts but theres a bigger story overshadowing it. Honestly, Nick Nurse is not a good coach. He's made great iterations to the system they had but his in game management and adjustments, generally, seem lacking. Thankfully they have the T1000.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,803

Post#446 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Btw, give me 60 games a year of Embiid if it keeps his foot healthy. If there is anything fans should take from this Durant injury, it’s to STFU about how long it takes for an injury to completely heal.

There are a bunch of NBA talking heads that look like idiots this morning.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#447 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Stanford wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:Raptors cheer an injury. you won't hear **** about it tomorrow.

For the record, until this series started, the rest of Canada has made their hatred of Toronto well known.

I didn't even realize how much the rest of Canada hates Toronto till today. I've been on twitter and the rest of Canada has scorching takes.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#448 » by Eyeamok » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 pm

With KD's unfortunate injury, this upcoming off season and the 2019-2020 season should be bonkers. Portland, Denver and especially the Rockets have to see a big window of opportunity to finally make it to the finals. Lebron and AD could finally be teaming up for next season, but who will they have as a supporting cast? If the 76ers can gel and avoid playoff sickness they have to feel great about the chance to go up against Toronto (with or without Leonard) or the Bucks, especially if Boston loses Irving. And you never know how injuries or another team coming out of nowhere will effect things.

The NBA finals is a great prelude to the off season and the start of the free agency period and everything that comes after that.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#449 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Eyeamok wrote:With KD's unfortunate injury, this upcoming off season and the 2019-2020 season should be bonkers. Portland, Denver and especially the Rockets have to see a big window of opportunity to finally make it to the finals. Lebron and AD could finally be teaming up for next season, but who will they have as a supporting cast? If the 76ers can gel and avoid playoff sickness they have to feel great about the chance to go up against Toronto (with or without Leonard) or the Bucks, especially if Boston loses Irving. And you never know how injuries or another team coming out of nowhere will effect things.

The NBA finals is a great prelude to the off season and the start of the free agency period and everything that comes after that.

KD's injury likely keeps the scale tilted heavily on the West. There might be a few teams that make a leap in the East, but nothing like what was anticipated to be the super team KD was going to headline.

If Kawhi leaves Toronto, then the Bucks are basically the only team standing in our way of a Finals.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#450 » by Eyeamok » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:With KD's unfortunate injury, this upcoming off season and the 2019-2020 season should be bonkers. Portland, Denver and especially the Rockets have to see a big window of opportunity to finally make it to the finals. Lebron and AD could finally be teaming up for next season, but who will they have as a supporting cast? If the 76ers can gel and avoid playoff sickness they have to feel great about the chance to go up against Toronto (with or without Leonard) or the Bucks, especially if Boston loses Irving. And you never know how injuries or another team coming out of nowhere will effect things.

KD's injury likely keeps the scale tilted heavily on the West. There might be a few teams that make a leap in the East, but nothing like what was anticipated to be the super team KD was going to headline.

If Kawhi leaves Toronto, then the Bucks are basically the only team standing in our way of a Finals.

KD is injured. If all things stayed the same, is there a team that the 76ers could not beat in the finals of the Eastern conference or NBA finals? 2019-2020 should be a fun season.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#451 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

KD is injured. If all things stayed the same, is there a team that the 76ers could not beat in the finals of the Eastern conference or NBA finals? 2019-2020 should be a fun season.

It remains to be seen if we can beat the Bucks in a 7 game series. I think we have the talent to pull it off, but we'd have to see if we match up well for a whole series.

I still think we are one "bucket getter" away from being a Finals team. Jimmy is very good, but we need someone who can demoralize a team from deep. Kawhi, Curry, Thompson, Durant all do that well for their teams.

Also, I'm not sure what the best teams will look like next year. I don't know what our team will even look like. If Jimmy and Tobias leave, we're going to be in a bit of a pinch.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#452 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Great take by Jalen, IMO.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#453 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Negrodamus wrote:It remains to be seen if we can beat the Bucks in a 7 game series. I think we have the talent to pull it off, but we'd have to see if we match up well for a whole series.

I still think we are one "bucket getter" away from being a Finals team. Jimmy is very good, but we need someone who can demoralize a team from deep. Kawhi, Curry, Thompson, Durant all do that well for their teams.

Also, I'm not sure what the best teams will look like next year. I don't know what our team will even look like. If Jimmy and Tobias leave, we're going to be in a bit of a pinch.

Do you think that needs to be a starter? I think we need a scorer off the bench that isn't a complete sieve defensively and a defensive big. This is assuming we run it back™, Zhaire is a contributor at least defensively next year, and we bring back Mike Scott.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#454 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:It remains to be seen if we can beat the Bucks in a 7 game series. I think we have the talent to pull it off, but we'd have to see if we match up well for a whole series.

Do you think that needs to be a starter? I think we need a scorer off the bench that isn't a complete sieve defensively and a defensive big. This is assuming we run it back™, Zhaire is a contributor at least defensively next year, and we bring back Mike Scott.

Aside from a leadership perspective and general chemistry, I don't really see a reason to bring back Redick in a starter capacity.

I don't know what the answer is since we'll be strapped for cash, but in the playoffs this team currently lives and dies by Redick's threes because he's certainly not providing much defensively.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#455 » by hookshot199 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

Aside from a leadership perspective and general chemistry, I don't really see a reason to bring back Redick in a starter capacity.

I don't know what the answer is since we'll be strapped for cash, but in the playoffs this team currently lives and dies by Redick's threes because he's certainly not providing much defensively.

It's a good reminder that an injury can change everything in a matter of seconds. It's also a reminder of how fragile our future is even if we manage Embiid's minutes, diet, etc. I have no inside knowledge, but it's almost certain that Joshua Harris intervened and we will not a repeat of Brown's mismanagement of Embiid minutes. As for Brand, he rolled the dice with Butler and Tobias. In light of Durant's injury last night and effective removal from the free-agency market, we're in a better position to control our own destiny. Two things: I believe that managing Embiid's regular games and minutes will force Brand to sign a backup or Brown to develop one. Secondly, I do not support paying JJ starter money. I believe he'll be a useful contributor, but preferably coming off the bench where he could become, like Lou Will, sixth man of the year.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#456 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I've heard it mentioned in some podcasts but theres a bigger story overshadowing it. Honestly, Nick Nurse is not a good coach. He's made great iterations to the system they had but his in game management and adjustments, generally, seem lacking. Thankfully they have the T1000.

Yeah I've heard and seen people talking about it.

FWIW, the reason why they took it was there was 3:02 left and after 3:00 minutes left you are only allowed to take 2 time outs, and they had 4 left. That whole lineup had gone a long time and were probably gassed. I know Kawhi makes it look easy but going out and scoring 6 times in a row or whatever it was takes a lot out of you.

Totally fair in retrospect to say that taking them it killed their momentum, but there was some logic behind it.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#457 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

FWIW, the reason why they took it was there was 3:02 left and after 3:00 minutes left you are only allowed to take 2 time outs, and they had 4 left. That whole lineup had gone a long time and were probably gassed. I know Kawhi makes it look easy but going out and scoring 6 times in a row or whatever it was takes a lot out of you.

Totally fair in retrospect to say that taking them it killed their momentum, but there was some logic behind it.

I understand the logic but the Warriors were reeling and Michael Jordan had possessed Kawhi Leonard's body. I see the argument on both sides so I'm not killing him for it but I honestly don't think he's a particularly good coach when I review the totality of circumstances.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#458 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

I understand the logic but the Warriors were reeling and Michael Jordan had possessed Kawhi Leonard's body. I see the argument on both sides so I'm not killing him for it but I honestly don't think he's a particularly good coach when I review the totality of circumstances.

Yeah I don't think he's anything special. He's one of probably about 20 coaches in the league that aren't very different from each other.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#459 » by FlyingArrow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

If Kawhi winds up with the Nets, are they as good as the Raptors this year?
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#460 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

The cap and our available assets is my issue. I'm with you on Redick philosophically but we have no means of replacing him. Zhaire is not going to be ready for a starting role on a title contender next year and he's the only internal option. We cant get a starter the level of redick for the mini-mid level.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers