Warriors, Knicks, Nets, Lakers, Clippers Still Expected To Be All-In On Kevin Durant

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Warriors, Knicks, Nets, Lakers, Clippers Still Expected To Be All-In On Kevin Durant 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:32 am

League sources tell David Aldridge of The Athletic that the Achilles injury to Kevin Durant won't change the equation for the five teams expected to pursue him this offseason.

The Golden State Warriors, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers have all been expected to be interested in signing Durant to a full max contract.

“It’s not like he’s gonna fall from the top player in the league to number 50, even with the Achilles,” a league executive said Tuesday. “Maybe he falls into the top 10. I still think KD is a guy that’s going to score 20, 25 a game.”

Durant has signed a series of one-plus-one contracts since joining the Warriors in 2016 from the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Via David Aldridge/The Athletic

arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Re: Warriors, Knicks, Nets, Lakers, Clippers Still Expected To Be All-In On Kevin Durant 

Post#2 » by arasu » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:28 am

“It’s not like he’s gonna fall from the top player in the league to number 50, even with the Achilles,” a league executive said Tuesday. “Maybe he falls into the top 10. I still think KD is a guy that’s going to score 20, 25 a game.”

A player who isn't playing doesn't even rank at all. Any team looking to sign him would be looking at his 2020-2021 season contribution and beyond, which admittedly could still be MVP-caliber.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Re: Warriors, Knicks, Nets, Lakers, Clippers Still Expected To Be All-In On Kevin Durant 

Post#3 » by deeps6x » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 am

I think it is the re-injury concern that might keep teams from wanting to super max him for 5 years. Two times in a couple months already. Yeah, he rushed back too soon, but this has to be a major concern going forward for any team that signs him.

Which is why I think GS should be the team to do it. At least if he goes down and out for long stretches, he already got them a championship, so it is like payback for that one.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#4 » by captain green » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 am

Gstate I can see that for security on kds part.
It totally makes sense for New York to spend money on injured players that's kinda there thing.
But nets and clippers very unlikely.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
gmehl1977
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#5 » by gmehl1977 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 am

deeps6x wrote:I think it is the re-injury concern that might keep teams from wanting to super max him for 5 years. Two times in a couple months already. Yeah, he rushed back too soon, but this has to be a major concern going forward for any team that signs him.

Which is why I think GS should be the team to do it. At least if he goes down and out for long stretches, he already got them a championship, so it is like payback for that one.

No one knows how good KD will be when he comes back but one thing I think that he will never should ever do again is play a full 82 game season again. I can't stand him and I hated his decision to join the loaded Warriors but the smart thing he should do now for himself is stay with the Warriors. He has a long hard road ahead of him and he will need to be a max 60 game a year player the rest of his career with load management being the first and foremost important thing for him. If he signs with a team like the Knicks to be their saviour then it doesn't take a genius to predict it all ending horribly bad for him and the Knicks. As much as I hate to say it, a team with Curry / Thompson carrying him for the next 1 1/2 years is what would be best.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#6 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:20 am

All I can say to that executive is he won't be scoring any points next year but yes your right still worth a max and also I say he is top 3 not the top player.. Could never be double teamed at golden state and couldn't get it done at OKC.. Kawhi is proving himself better right now and I remember pre injury Kawhi was 23 points up on the warriors first year with KD.. That said watching all the playoffs as good as Kawhi has been LeBron was better last year even though they lost to the stacked healthy team.. LeBron probably is still the best.. Oh and speedy recovery for KD would love to see him play for the Knicks
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 am

captain green wrote:Gstate I can see that for security on kds part.
It totally makes sense for New York to spend money on injured players that's kinda there thing.

If you have a max slot and you have a chance to take KD you take it unless Kawhi wants it and you don't have two slots.. This is a no Brainer KD will be fine.. He is a 7 foot sniper.. The guy will still shot over anyone.. Just give him next year off..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:26 am

deeps6x wrote:I think it is the re-injury concern that might keep teams from wanting to super max him for 5 years. Two times in a couple months already. Yeah, he rushed back too soon, but this has to be a major concern going forward for any team that signs him.

Listen carefully.. Other teams that are not GSW can only offer him 4 years that's the rules.. Now once he get surgery and returns this is not a reoccurring injury.. He will be fine.. He was probably playing on a strained Achilles and it snapped so he probably would of needed surgery and a year off anyway.. Given his skillset he will be fine.. You definatley max him and not waste your money on Tobias Harris..
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#9 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:49 am

Is there a chance he returns near the end of next season? Even if rusty, he might help a team in the playoffs.

I’m thinking of the scenario where if Clippers can’t get Kawhi, KD might be their best option. They can make the playoffs without him, and maybe he could help them get into the second round...
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#10 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:27 am

Are the teams willing to waive his physical if he does sign with a new team? In any case, KD still has a $31.5m player option over Season 2019/20. He can simply opt in and cut the hassle. Good luck bud! Get well soon!
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,265

Post#11 » by Black Jack » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:56 am

For KD's sake I hope he doesn't sign with NYK. Their luck would ensure that KD and Kyrie would be both chronically injured, disgruntled, and eating petroleum jelly on livestream in no time flat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,265

Post#12 » by Black Jack » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:57 am

madmaxmedia wrote:Is there a chance he returns near the end of next season? Even if rusty, he might help a team in the playoffs.

I’m thinking of the scenario where if Clippers can’t get Kawhi, KD might be their best option. They can make the playoffs without him, and maybe he could help them get into the second round...

He really really really should avoid coming back soon this time. Just take a year off.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#13 » by captain green » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:07 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:

If you have a max slot and you have a chance to take KD you take it unless Kawhi wants it and you don't have two slots.. This is a no Brainer KD will be fine.. He is a 7 foot sniper.. The guy will still shot over anyone.. Just give him next year off..

Like I said this has a knicks move all over it. 31 year old almost 7 footer extremely thin legs. Max deal for new York knicks. What's not to love lol
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#14 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 am

arasu wrote:

A player who isn't playing doesn't even rank at all. Any team looking to sign him would be looking at his 2020-2021 season contribution and beyond, which admittedly could still be MVP-caliber.

Judging players this way- by points per game- is so misguided. Kevin Martin was scoring 25ppg not long ago. Jerry Stackhouse put up 30ppg as a legitimate net negative player. Neither of those guys would sniff the impact of a Draymond Green, or even the likes of Robert Covington and Danny Green. I'm not trying to disparage your comment... more so the league executive judging KD's post-injury impact in these terms. Put Michael Beasley on the Cavs and he'll probably score 20-25 points per game. That doesn't make him valuable.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#15 » by Laimbeer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am

Kind of tricky for the Lakers to punt a season when LeBron's clock is ticking.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#16 » by Barcs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:30 pm

This would be utterly stupid. You don't give a max deal to somebody that will have to rehab for an entire year, and won't come back until he's nearly 32 off a torn Achilles. He might not ever be that same player. This would be typical stupid Knicks, they better not do it.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#17 » by The Laker Kid » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Of course they will still be all-in. It's K.F.D.!!
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....

Return to Wiretap Discussion