Re: Rich Paul: Anthony Davis Will Explore 2020 Free Agency Regardless Of Trade Destination

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Rich Paul: Anthony Davis Will Explore 2020 Free Agency Regardless Of Trade Destination 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Rich Paul takes umbrage at the suggestion he would attempt to send Anthony Davis to the Los Angeles Lakers to benefit LeBron James.

“Did you say that to David Falk? Would you say that to Arn Tellem?” Paul asks about two other legendary agents in a profile in Sports Illustrated written by S.L. Price. “You’re only saying that because you feel like, ‘Well, Rich wouldn’t be in this position without LeBron,’ right? My thing is: Take LeBron off the Lakers. Are the Lakers not a great destination for an arguably top-two player that went to Kentucky and won a national championship, signed with Nike? For a team that’s had centers from George Mikan to Wilt Chamberlain to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to Shaq?

“So now, when you add LeBron, that’s what? The cherry on top. LeBron’s 34 years old. Anthony Davis is 26. So when LeBron’s done playing, the Anthony Davis trade is still rolling. What better place to do it than L.A.? If it was L.A.—I never said ‘L.A.’ But there’s no negative to that. Who gives a s--- what you’re talking about, about me trying to help LeBron out? No, I’m not. I’m trying to help Anthony Davis. Now, if helping Anthony Davis helps LeBron in the long run? So be it. But my goal is Anthony Davis.”

Paul then speaks of the New York Knicks, who are the other team atop Davis' list.

“The only difference is, they don’t have as many championships as the Lakers,” said Paul. “They got a tradition. It’s a big market—not that it’s only big markets. They have cap space, flexibility, they’re able to absorb more than one star. What’s wrong with that?”

Paul also confirms that he warned off the Boston Celtics of their interest.

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,” Paul says. “I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I’ve stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don’t blame Rich Paul.”

Ultimately, any team trading for Davis will do so without any assurances.

“Where he’s going to land? I have no idea,” Paul says. “And it don’t matter. We’re going into free agency. Why does it matter to me where he goes? Earth: We’re going into free agency. He has a year, he has to play. But after that, I can’t say it no bigger: WE ARE GOING INTO FREE AGENCY. 2020: ANTHONY DAVIS WILL BE IN FREE AGENCY.

Via S.L. Price/Sports Illustrated

likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Re: Rich Paul: Anthony Davis Will Explore 2020 Free Agency Regardless Of Trade Destination 

Post#2 » by likashing » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Rich Paul doesn’t give a **** what you are talking about, but he can’t stop defending he isn’t trying to help LeBron and he is a thing without LeBron name dropping Falk etc.

By abiding by contractural obligations he means they will keep getting paid the guaranteed money, while requesting the team to trade him after fulfilling 2 seasons of a 5 year contract. That’s like doing 40% of the agreed upon commitment.

This dude is smarter than a typical super star entourage, but he is still full of **** nonetheless.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#3 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:44 pm

likashing wrote:Rich Paul doesn’t give a **** what you are talking about, but he can’t stop defending he isn’t trying to help LeBron and he is a thing without LeBron name dropping Falk etc.

By abiding by contractural obligations he means they will keep getting paid the guaranteed money, while requesting the team to trade him after fulfilling 2 seasons of a 5 year contract. That’s like doing 40% of the agreed upon commitment.

This dude is smarter than a typical super star entourage, but he is still full of **** nonetheless.

Celtics....screwed, no matter low you look at it.

Maybe NO also......??
Not2BeBothered
Junior
And1: 314

Post#4 » by Not2BeBothered » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 pm

As someone who lived in Brooklyn they whole life and almost 30 years old, I’ve never seen the hype over the Knicks. What tradition do they actually have? I can understand my uncles being knick faithfuls because they witnessed the Ewing era but I wouldn’t call that a tradition.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#5 » by Killboard » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:53 pm

So, he is trying to make his client to go a team with a dysfunctional front office to pair him with a player who is past his prime and soaking most of their cap space, team who also would lose most of their meh assets for him. Which would be the championship window there?

If I'm AD I would be looking for championships. PG or perimeter player who is entering his prime right now, and a functional front office who has shown ability to find and develop value. Kawhi or Irving, Clippers or Nets. Is that simple. I'm leaving out Boston because Ainge like his assets too much and Kyrie is reportedly asking to go out.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#6 » by BigHustle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Smart move by RP to drive down the price of AD as much as possible to preserve assets for AD’s new team. Not sure it will work well but good effort by sacrificing whatever rep you had RP.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#7 » by Killboard » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:09 pm

BigHustle wrote:Smart move by RP to drive down the price of AD as much as possible to preserve assets for AD’s new team. Not sure it will work well but good effort by sacrificing whatever rep you had RP.

Why no just wait for FA then? If AD finds a good FO the assets will be built around him.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#8 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:44 pm

Good agent you got there A.D. Really done wonders for your career and reputation.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#9 » by deeps6x » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Why does he keep saying LA if he doesn't want him to go to LA?

Should have traded him to Minny for KAT when KAT was looking sucky next to Butler.

Hell, I wouldn't mind him going to LA. It might even provide the best deal for the Pelicans.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#10 » by Wo1verine » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Guys a chump - Wants to win but his two top choices are LA and NYK lol

Rich Paul may be the worst agent for the NBA.
BrunoSkull
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#11 » by The Laker Kid » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:33 pm

He's right you know.gif
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Nikola
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#12 » by Nikola » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:07 pm

This really makes AD look like a POS. If I'm NO and I don't get a good offer, I tell him I'll see you in training camp. Make him look Zion and his teammates in the face for a year.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#13 » by FutureIsGreen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 pm

So I suppose this is Rich Paul trying to devalue Davis as much as possible to screw the Pels over for not listening to his demands at the deadline? What a lame agent. PR has as much to do with a players endorsements as the game being played. Why would an agent choose to devalue his character and ruin any chance of being welcomed by new teammates as lame duck additive? Makes no sense, Davis should choose to look at it this way. Did you see how that worked out for KI, fanbases who wanted him are second guessing if they even want him on their team. That's terrible PR.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#14 » by tidho » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Good agent you got there A.D. Really done wonders for your career and reputation.

The real question is how stupid does AD have to be to think what Paul is doing is in AD's best interest? Even if Paul actually believes his bull ****, the way he's going about it is positioning AD as the villain. Its laughably stupid.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,544

Post#15 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 pm

the fact he brings up Nike lets you know he wants AD to have a maximum nba contract and a maximum shoe contract
shoe deals lately have been arguably bigger than nba contracts for superstars so u can see why he'd want him in LA a big market
with fans around the globe than love purchasing merch . its a win/win for RP and his client financially, if they win big also it only goes up higher, gotta say he's got his eyes on the jackpot
Fozzy2503
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by Fozzy2503 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Ok , I might get blasted for this but... I like the Knicks and Pels. If I’m NO I pull the trade with Boston and get Tatum, Brown and Smart.

I would prefer the NY draft RJ and develop the young talent vs the quick fix. If NY trades for AD you’ll be giving away a lot of talent.

LA trade offer blows! Just sayin!!!
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#17 » by likashing » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
likashing wrote:Rich Paul doesn’t give a **** what you are talking about, but he can’t stop defending he isn’t trying to help LeBron and he is a thing without LeBron name dropping Falk etc.

Celtics....screwed, no matter low you look at it.

Maybe NO also......??

Still not sure whether the Celtics got screwed, or AD got screwed.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#18 » by Ccwatercraft » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:02 pm

Mr. Paul needs grammar classes.

He dont speak too goodly.
slay25
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#19 » by slay25 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:45 am

tidho wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:Good agent you got there A.D. Really done wonders for your career and reputation.

The real question is how stupid does AD have to be to think what Paul is doing is in AD's best interest? Even if Paul actually believes his bull ****, the way he's going about it is positioning AD as the villain. Its laughably stupid.

Players leave in free agency, ya'll say F them. players demand a trade giving the team they are bouta leave at least something in return and ya'll still say F them.

The hatred for other human beings who have literally done nothing to you but given you entertainment and a false sense of importance is beyond me.

Just admit it, if there were still Gladiator fights and public executions you'd go see them. The blood thirst is still real, now its just on the internet.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#20 » by statsman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 am

Once again, trying to undermine all other offers so that the Pelicans will be forced to take any Lakers low-ball offer. While not in their best interests, I wonder if the Pelicans might call everyone's bluff and start the season with AD.

Return to Wiretap Discussion