Jalen Rose bout to get fired for telling the truth.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Re: Jalen Rose bout to get fired for telling the truth. 

Post#101 » by NBAWestFan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Utimately KD is a grown man.

Not 20 years or a teenager

He is 30ish.

Sure there is pressure but if he felt his leg was weak he should not have played.

Regardless he may have know his achillies was going to go and that is why he stayed out for all this time.
He felt uneasy about it.

KD is responsible for KD. Sure the Warriors and the Media he might have felt pressure and bad but.
What if he did not play? Then he gets a contract comes back in the fall and ruptures it. Then he has to wait from that time.

Something happen and it is OLD age and not someone falt. He has a lot of weight and like all players who jump and land they
can injure their achillies.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#102 » by everdiso » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Sabas11 wrote:
I don't really have an opinion on the subject and I dislike Durant as much as the next guy but isn't this take a bit simplistic? Would you be able to tell the difference between a broken and a sprained limb in your own body, just going by sensation? Did you know there are professional athletes that get diagnosed with serious heart conditions during routine checks, and they're basically forced to retire without knowing what hit them? I'm sure you do.

Yeah, doctors know your body WAY better than you do. That's why we go to the doctor when something hurts. "Nobody knows your body like you do" is a classic stupid cliche.

No they really don't. They can diagnose your body way better than you can. But many times you need to point them in the right direction.

I guess you guys are right though, the older I get the more I realize the world is full of morons. I've broken multiple bones and sprained multiple muscles, its incredibly easy to tell the difference. The idea that you wouldnt be able to seems ludicrous to me... But again people have become so legitimately stupid these days, that maybe they can't.

yeah keep diagnosing your own medical conditions, genius. good luck with that.

what kind of moron needs a doctor, anyways?
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,410

Post#103 » by Heej » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Haha not gonna lie, Jalen nailed my mindset perfectly. I got my pound of flesh for KD being a weak-minded anti-competitive bitch that ruined LeBron's legacy. I hope it was worth it KD
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Lockdown
RealGM
And1: 1,499

Post#104 » by Lockdown » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Preach it Jalen. So much fake sentiment after the injury from the people who hung him out to dry for a month straight. “Oh, he should be back any day now.” If media was questioning his heart it’s because the Warriors hung that question out there day after day.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#105 » by Ctownbulls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Loaded_Hollows wrote:Sounds like an idiot. As usual. :lol:

He played because they were down 3-1 and he wanted them to win the championship. There’s nothing more to discuss. Any alternate theories or reasoning are the delusions of a fool.

That is exactly what he said :roll:
Iplaytolose
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#106 » by Iplaytolose » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't feel a need to assign blame in this case?

Nah... I'm right there with you. The guy is a 30 year old adult. I'm tired of people treating him like a 12 year old without any free will and culpability for himself. The doctors can MRI you all they want, they can make 1000 recommendations, or guesses. But no one knows your body like you do. Durant was integral to the decision to play, and people just gloss over it. **** happens, if he didn't feel comfortable he shouldn't have gone out there.

The caveat to that is the managers and people in charge have to protect their employees from themselves... In this case, it's the Warriors FO, medical and coaching staff. That is their RESPONSIBILITY and part of the job, and they failed KD on that.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#107 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Iplaytolose wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't feel a need to assign blame in this case?

Nah... I'm right there with you. The guy is a 30 year old adult. I'm tired of people treating him like a 12 year old without any free will and culpability for himself. The doctors can MRI you all they want, they can make 1000 recommendations, or guesses. But no one knows your body like you do. Durant was integral to the decision to play, and people just gloss over it. **** happens, if he didn't feel comfortable he shouldn't have gone out there.

The caveat to that is the managers and people in charge have to protect their employees from themselves... In this case, it's the Warriors FO and coaching staff. That is their RESPONSIBILITY and part of the job, and they failed KD on that.

They absolutely don't have to protect their employees from themselves. Management doesn't need to have any hand in that. If the doctors clear him, management has no right, or responsibility to prevent him from playing.

The doctors can clear him to play, tell him there is still risk involved with taking the court, and leave it up to the 30 year old adult. The whole idea that these adults need protection from themselves is basically asking us to treat them as children. They should be treated like adults. This specific instance turned out to be a disaster, but players play through injuries ALL THE TIME with risk involved. The vast majority of the time, nothing happens. If Durant had just re-aggravated the injury, instead of a likely devastating tear, no one would be freaking out. All playoffs we saw guys play through injuries, and no one batted an eye. You let these guys know the risks, explain to them the potential consequences of playing, and let them do what adults do... make their own decisions regarding their own body.
Iplaytolose
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#108 » by Iplaytolose » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
Iplaytolose wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

The caveat to that is the managers and people in charge have to protect their employees from themselves... In this case, it's the Warriors FO and coaching staff. That is their RESPONSIBILITY and part of the job, and they failed KD on that.

They absolutely don't have to protect their employees from themselves. Management doesn't need to have any hand in that. If the doctors clear him, management has no right, or responsibility to prevent him from playing.

Didn't Bob say it was a collective decision, so they were involved? And a coach manages player's playing time and load, as the medical staff manages the player's health.. The are most definitely responsible for protecting the players from themselves. A player is always going to want to play.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#109 » by zhenyasj » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Ecmic wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
And there's the right answer. Everything else is just nonsensical crocodile tears from delusional anti-authority dweeps. What more do you want from a medical staff? Your body is yours. Unless you're a danger to others, the default is always to give the patient every ounce of information you can, and even a suggestion... and then let them decide for themselves.

To add to your scenario. The doctors could have even said, "If it was me, or someone I loved, I would advise them against it." And Durant still went out there. We just don't know, but public crucifixions are more entertaining I guess.

Exactly. Again unless information comes out that shows GS gave him bad information or withheld information. I really don't see how they are to blame at all for this. KD is a grown man, he knew the risks, he could've easily just said sorry guys I want to play, I just can't do it with this risk. This is not some parent forcing their child into something. KD can make his own decisions.

I'd bet Durant is currently very interested in those original injury MRI's; I'm unsure to what extent Durant sought a second opinion from his own people.

Golden State's public messaging on the issue (claims like "there's no risk of additional injury") does cloud the waters on what type of info was being fed to Durant in private. If there's any incongruity between those MRI's and what Durant was told, things could get ugly between the parties, though it might not ever become public knowledge.

KD is a business and has his own team looking out for his interests. His own medical staff looked at the MRI and was involved in the evaluation process. He's not just some 10th man on the team who can be pressured into playing in order to make a paycheck.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#110 » by zhenyasj » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Sark wrote:
Black Jack wrote:He explained it well.

It's sickening, the whole thing. Really a turnoff on sports to see this in action honestly.

The sad thing is we've seen it in the past, and we will see it again in the future. We saw RG3 throw away his career for the Redskins. We saw Isaiah Thomas throw away his career for the Celtics. Even this past year we saw Zion blow up his sneaker, still get pressured to play, and he hasn't even gone pro yet. He was playing for free.

There's a big difference between KD and those players. KD doesn't need to play for the contract like Isiah Thomas did; he's not a rookie like RG3 was, and he's his own business unlike Zion. KD had all the leverage in the world and a team of people who are looking out for his interests. There's no way that in today's NBA, a superstar can be pressured into doing something without having the ultimate say.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#111 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:24 pm

zhenyasj wrote:
Ecmic wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Exactly. Again unless information comes out that shows GS gave him bad information or withheld information. I really don't see how they are to blame at all for this. KD is a grown man, he knew the risks, he could've easily just said sorry guys I want to play, I just can't do it with this risk. This is not some parent forcing their child into something. KD can make his own decisions.

I'd bet Durant is currently very interested in those original injury MRI's; I'm unsure to what extent Durant sought a second opinion from his own people.

Golden State's public messaging on the issue (claims like "there's no risk of additional injury") does cloud the waters on what type of info was being fed to Durant in private. If there's any incongruity between those MRI's and what Durant was told, things could get ugly between the parties, though it might not ever become public knowledge.

KD is a business and has his own team looking out for his interests. His own medical staff looked at the MRI and was involved in the evaluation process. He's not just some 10th man on the team who can be pressured into playing in order to make a paycheck.

Exactly, even is the team wanted him to play. He's got his own medical staff and his own doctor to advise as well. He had all the information he could possibly have. I'm sure that somewhere along the way, he was aware that however slight the chance might be, this was a possible outcome. It's unfortunate, but I'm tired of people pinning it on sports culture, or player-organization pressure. It's just nonsense.
Appwrangler
Junior
And1: 263

Post#112 » by Appwrangler » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:24 pm

S*** happens.

Best player in basketball sits on the bench while his team claws their way thru the playoffs. With his team facing elimination in the finals, he judges himself fit enough to return. This is the absolute pinnacle of why players get involved in the sport (after getting $100M in the bank).

Is there a possibility the Warriors weren’t above board with all the medical information? Sure, and if so they should be hammered. But only a young person thinks things should always work out well, unless thwarted by a conspiracy. In real life, sometimes you make the right decisions and things still go to hell.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Post#113 » by RRyder823 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Appwrangler wrote:S*** happens.

Best player in basketball sits on the bench while his team claws their way thru the playoffs. With his team facing elimination in the finals, he judges himself fit enough to return. This is the absolute pinnacle of why players get involved in the sport (after getting $100M in the bank).

Is there a possibility the Warriors weren’t above board with all the medical information? Sure, and if so they should be hammered. But only a young person thinks thing should always work out well, unless thwarted by a conspiracy. In real life, sometimes you make the right decisions and things still go to hell.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#114 » by everdiso » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Appwrangler wrote:S*** happens.

Is there a possibility the Warriors weren’t above board with all the medical information? Sure, and if so they should be hammered. But only a young person thinks thing should always work out well, unless thwarted by a conspiracy. In real life, sometimes you make the right decisions and things still go to hell.

This was an astoundingly wrong decision, though.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#115 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Seems like a lot of convenient reactionary angst...

Chances are that Durant shouldn't have come back. It's easy to say that now. But he made the call. And it's a call hundreds, or even thousands, of other athletes have made before him. It's not an easy decision. It's one that is made even more difficult when you consider that the player may feel obligated to earn those millions and millions of dollars and worldwide acclaim.

Tough call all the way around.

For the people super duper upset about him being out there... I'd give you more credence if you voiced your take BEFORE he was re-injured.
Loaded_Hollows
Starter
And1: 3,338

Post#116 » by Loaded_Hollows » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Baz wrote:

He played because they were down 3-1 and he wanted them to win the championship. There’s nothing more to discuss. Any alternate theories or reasoning are the delusions of a fool.

That goes without saying.
If he wasn't 100%, it's down to the medical staff to tell him no.

Players play when they aren't 100% all the time. Being 100% is not the threshold that decides whether or not someone plays.
Loaded_Hollows
Starter

Post#117 » by Loaded_Hollows » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:

Wrong. Watch the vid again and pay attention this time.
Loaded_Hollows
Starter

Post#118 » by Loaded_Hollows » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Laimbeer wrote:

The Warriors medical staff should not have cleared him. Period. Everything else is noise.

That's not a fact. That's your opinion (which means nothing).
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#119 » by Ctownbulls » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Loaded_Hollows wrote:
Ctownbulls wrote:
Loaded_Hollows wrote:Sounds like an idiot. As usual.

Wrong. Watch the vid again and pay attention this time.

Maybe you should. He literally says exactly that he wouldn't have played if they were up 3-1 and played because they were down 3-1.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,205

Post#120 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Tracymcgoaty wrote:
Black Jack wrote:He explained it well.

It's sickening, the whole thing. Really a turnoff on sports to see this in action honestly.

truly is..i just dont get why anyone would want him to play..he literally put his career on the line because people pressured him..its sad man..

The only person who had ANY say in his demanding to play was Kevin Durant. The guy was dying to get in and play the whole series.

Return to The General Board