Pelicans Engaged In Anthony Davis Trade Talks With Lakers, Celtics

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Pelicans Engaged In Anthony Davis Trade Talks With Lakers, Celtics 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans are engaged in trade talks with both the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics.

The Lakers have included the No. 4 as a trade chip with the Pelicans.

The Celtics have so far been undeterred in pursuing Davis despite Rich Paul's insistence he isn't interested in re-signing with Boston. The Celtics view a trade for Davis as their best shot of keeping Irving.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski, Zach Lowe, Ramona Shelburne, Brian Windhorst/ESPN

lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,544

Re: Pelicans Engaged In Anthony Davis Trade Talks With Lakers, Celtics 

Post#2 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 pm

celtics just trying to drive the price up on the lakers at the end of the day, your not fooling anyone dannyboy
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 pm

lonzo_pelota wrote:celtics just trying to drive the price up on the lakers at the end of the day, your not fooling anyone dannyboy

Not really, I mean if Memphis Pick,Tatum, Smart and #14 doesn't outbid #4 + lakers players I'd be surprised. Not to mention getting AD definitely increases odds KI resigns or maybe they can steal Kemba from CHA
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:
lonzo_pelota wrote:celtics just trying to drive the price up on the lakers at the end of the day, your not fooling anyone dannyboy

Not really, I mean if Memphis Pick,Tatum, Smart and #14 doesn't outbid #4 + lakers players I'd be surprised. Not to mention getting AD definitely increases odds KI resigns or maybe they can steal Kemba from CHA

Of course a Tatum package is a better deal if they include Tatum in the trade talks, but that's a big IF.

The big question is are the Celtics willing to trade Tatum (or Brown for that matter) without a guarantee from Kyrie because if Kyrie isn't coming back then they have no chance of keeping AD the following year. That would mean they could end up losing Kyrie, AD, Tatum and the rest of the players involved in the trade when it is all said and done. I just don't see that as a smart basketball move.

Without AD and Kyrie, the Celtics still have a young promising core with Tatum, Brown, Rozier and Smart. If they end up trading for Capella then that's yet another young piece that could fit very well in their system.

As for Kemba, the Celtics have no chance at signing Kemba as they are over the salary cap and the most they would be able to offer him would be the MLE and he's looking for a max contract. They could try and do a sign-and-trade but not sure Kemba even wants out of Charlotte. Kemba would also have competition for the starting spot with Rozier and in the end Rozier could end up going elsewhere if that happens (or if they end up keeping Kyrie).
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:19 pm

tigerae wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Of course a Tatum package is a better deal if they include Tatum in the trade talks, but that's a big IF.

The big question is are the Celtics willing to trade Tatum (or Brown for that matter) without a guarantee from Kyrie because if Kyrie isn't coming back then they have no chance of keeping AD the following year. That would mean they could end up losing Kyrie, AD, Tatum and the rest of the players involved in the trade when it is all said and done. I just don't see that as a smart basketball move.

Without AD and Kyrie, the Celtics still have a young promising core with Tatum, Brown, Rozier and Smart. If they end up trading for Capella then that's yet another young piece that could fit very well in their system.

As for Kemba, the Celtics have no chance at signing Kemba as they are over the salary cap and the most they would be able to offer him would be the MLE and he's looking for a max contract. They could try and do a sign-and-trade but not sure Kemba even wants out of Charlotte. Kemba would also have competition for the starting spot with Rozier and in the end Rozier could end up going elsewhere if that happens (or if they end up keeping Kyrie).

If KI still leaves and AD is disgruntled yeah
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,544

Post#6 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 pm

kyrie has given every indication he's not returning to boston, that has to be a factor to boston going forward with trade talks
if kyrie suddenly has a change of heart and returns to boston , it wont be to welcoming arms, just go listen to a Bill Simmons Podcast
he and his constituents have already laid into Kyrie publicly
Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#7 » by Reflexx » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:57 am

lol Celtics

I hope the Lakers don't offer any more than they are already. If Boston offers a better deal, then tell NO to take it.

Boston will find an excuse to pull out.
GMjobZK
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#8 » by GMjobZK » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:02 am

I can’t help but notice how The Knicks are not in this reporting. I see another offseason disaster for them. I can’t believe how many years a legendary franchise such as the Knicks keep losing out year after year after year after year. Failure after failure. Hire me as a consultant for crying out loud! I’ll take minimum salary! Wtf is going on over there!?!?
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 am

lonzo_pelota wrote:kyrie has given every indication he's not returning to boston, that has to be a factor to boston going forward with trade talks
if kyrie suddenly has a change of heart and returns to boston , it wont be to welcoming arms, just go listen to a Bill Simmons Podcast
he and his constituents have already laid into Kyrie publicly

Hopefully no one is making life decisions based on what they hear on the BS podcast.
2hard2guard
Junior
And1: 15

Post#10 » by 2hard2guard » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:31 pm

He will not be a knick unless AD signs with Knicks, and the nets are just not trading Russell anytime soon for kyrie the "its me guy"
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#11 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Reflexx wrote:lol Celtics

I hope the Lakers don't offer any more than they are already. If Boston offers a better deal, then tell NO to take it.

Nah. The Lakers are in trouble if they don't make this deal. Boston has all the leverage.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#12 » by Kobe System » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Donnyxc wrote:

Nah. The Lakers are in trouble if they don't make this deal. Boston has all the leverage.

They lost that leverage when Kyrie made it known that he won't come back.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#13 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Kobe System wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

Yeah? You think our trade package for AD was centered around Irving being traded for him?

If not then that sentence doesn't really make sense.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#14 » by Kobe System » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:44 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Kobe System wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

Yeah? You think our trade package for AD was centered around Irving being traded for him?

If not then that sentence doesn't really make sense.

I think it was your response that doesn't make sense.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#15 » by TheCage4 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:13 pm

AD publicly stating he is still going to explore FA after this upcoming season is a big sign, IMO, that he really doesn't want to be a Celtic.

Should Boston still trade for him it most likely will end in disaster, as AD will just walk to NY or LAL.

I do not see how Davis is not a Laker this summer, and for many more to come.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Discussion