NBA Finals Thread #8: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | TOR LEADS 3-2

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who's raising a banner?

Dubs in 7
34%
Raps in 6
56%
Raps in 7
10%

Total votes: 241

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: NBA Finals Thread #8: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | TOR LEADS 3-2 

Post#261 » by Samurai » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:43 pm

northoakland510 wrote:
Samurai wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:Steve Kerr needs to let Damian Jones get some run. He is the only athletic 7 footer on the squad and can play above the rim.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jones is a poor rebounder; Toronto's offense is already more than a load to handle, you can't just give them extra scoring opportunities by letting Jones fail to get rebounds. And Toronto has already benefited by getting far more calls and FT attempts from the refs; Jones would only guarantee that the Dubs would be in the penalty after 5 minutes. Jones is a fouling machine.

Other than that, he's great. Kinda like having Kareem minus the skyhook, the defense, passing, and rebounding.
Jones is a bigger body and Jones has the discipline to box out or focus on one rebounder and make sure they do not get the rebound. Bell isn't disciplined enough to stick to a game plan. Jones might foul, but Bell hasn't done anything to say he should keep his minutes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I agree with your comments about Bell. Although you will notice that I never mentioned Bell in my post so I'm not sure why you are referring to him.

My guess for game 6 is that Cousins will again start. For all of his defensive liabilities, he is the only option we have that can provide some of the much needed scoring that we lose without KD. If so, Cousins would play the first 5 minutes or so and then rest so that he can come back at the start of the 2nd quarter when Curry and Draymond rest. Looney should continue in his current role of being the first guy off the bench. Bogut likely only plays in short spurts to rest Looney if Cousins is not effective. I don't see Bell getting any minutes. Cousins, Looney and Bogut are all better rebounders than Jones despite not being able to get up as high as DJ. And all three are better screen setters and passers on offense than Jones.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,819

Re: NBA Finals Thread #8: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | TOR LEADS 3-2 

Post#262 » by nikster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:44 pm

duppyy wrote:
Samurai wrote:
iamtheking wrote:
I wouldn’t say dominated. IMO it has been equal cause of Klay missing one game and then fatigue settling game 4 for the warriors due to only one game in between game. The longer break has actually helped warriors. They were revitalized game 2 when they won and again game 5 when they won.

For raptors to win, pascal cannot let himself be treated like Harrison Barnes. If he’s shooting well and making the open 3s they win, if not there will be a game 7

I'd say that the Raptors have dominated. Dubs won game 2 by 5 points after a historically bad shooting quarter from Toronto (i.e. unlikely to happen again) and by 1 point in game 5. The Raptors average margin of victory in their 3 wins has been 12 points. And I am not surprised by this and find most people who would be "shocked" by this to be disingenuous. You can't remove a top-3 player like KD and just keep going like nothing happened. Even the most biased Raptors fan would have to admit that if they were playing without Kawhi and the Warriors had all their guys playing (even if banged up), they wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors dominated. I wouldn't be surprised at all; Kawhi is just a great player and missing his impact is huge. But injuries are part of the game. Dubs have no excuses; this is the hand they were dealt and it's next man up. If Kawhi slips in the shower and cannot play, they have zero excuses as well; its next man up. That's the nature of sports. But just because there are no excuses doesn't mean you would be surprised that a KD-less Warriors or a Kawhi-less Raptors are just not as good as if they had their big guns.

You would sweep us if we had no Kawhi.

You guys dominating Portland without KD made your team look unstoppable, the same can't be said for Kawhi-less raptors though,.

Yeah that’s a massive difference. Golden state won 6 in a row without Durant. It’s not like they lost him right before the Finals started. Raps aren’t beating Bucks or 76ers if Kawhii misses 2 games
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,911

Post#263 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Cobra Kawhi wrote:Also, lets be clear that those fans who stood up and waived are absolutely disgraceful, but to say "Okay **** the raptors, I want the Warriors to win now" we all know this ain't the reason for changing your tune. EVERY team in the NBA has dumbass fans like this, it's a shame it took a terrible injury on the big stage for them to be exposed. Every city has these kinds of ppl.

100% guarantee if Kawhi gets injured at Oracle there isn't a bunch of cheering
GameChannel
Rookie
And1: 996

Post#264 » by GameChannel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Raptors got this. This is likely not going to game 7. As much as I hate him for what he did to my Spurs, Kawhi is in God-mode these playoffs. Not that I am surprised, his greatness was never in question. His douchebaggery is another issue altogether.
Sushimon
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#265 » by Sushimon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:54 pm

I think the Raps players win this one for their brother Durant. A Raps win cements Durant's legacy as an all time great that the rest of the GS cast needed to win the last 2 championships.

I mean if GS could have won this without Durant anyways, why didnt his teamates and organization just stop him from playing this season for risk of actually what occured.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#266 » by Statlanta » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:59 pm

It's funny and poetic that the KD situation only makes KAWHI, of all people look worse.

This generation of star players are unlikeable.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#267 » by Samurai » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 pm

duppyy wrote:
Samurai wrote:
iamtheking wrote:
I wouldn’t say dominated. IMO it has been equal cause of Klay missing one game and then fatigue settling game 4 for the warriors due to only one game in between game. The longer break has actually helped warriors. They were revitalized game 2 when they won and again game 5 when they won.

For raptors to win, pascal cannot let himself be treated like Harrison Barnes. If he’s shooting well and making the open 3s they win, if not there will be a game 7

I'd say that the Raptors have dominated. Dubs won game 2 by 5 points after a historically bad shooting quarter from Toronto (i.e. unlikely to happen again) and by 1 point in game 5. The Raptors average margin of victory in their 3 wins has been 12 points. And I am not surprised by this and find most people who would be "shocked" by this to be disingenuous. You can't remove a top-3 player like KD and just keep going like nothing happened. Even the most biased Raptors fan would have to admit that if they were playing without Kawhi and the Warriors had all their guys playing (even if banged up), they wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors dominated. I wouldn't be surprised at all; Kawhi is just a great player and missing his impact is huge. But injuries are part of the game. Dubs have no excuses; this is the hand they were dealt and it's next man up. If Kawhi slips in the shower and cannot play, they have zero excuses as well; its next man up. That's the nature of sports. But just because there are no excuses doesn't mean you would be surprised that a KD-less Warriors or a Kawhi-less Raptors are just not as good as if they had their big guns.

You would sweep us if we had no Kawhi.

You guys dominating Portland without KD made your team look unstoppable, the same can't be said for Kawhi-less raptors though,.

I disagree with this statement. People think we "dominated" Portland because we won 4 straight; they forget that the Dubs barely won game 2 by 2 points and game 4 was a 2-point OT win. It was actually a close and hard-fought battle, but because the Warriors managed to squeak out a few wins that could have easily gone the other way, it created this false narrative that the team was better (without KD) than they really are. The Warriors were frankly lucky, because if the brackets were different, I don't see us beating Houston in a 7-game series without KD. But people just see the word "sweep" without realizing that a few lucky bounces of the ball and the series is tied 2-2 after 4 games, making them think this team is stronger than it really is. Again, if the Raptors without Kawhi managed to get a few lucky bounces and could pull off some wins against a playoff team, that should not be extrapolated into a false narrative that a Kawhi-less Raptors could dominate a full-strength Finals team, such as the Warriors.

Many fans, including Warrior fans since I've argued this point on the GSW board, get confused by "entertaining" and "better". Without KD, the Warriors are forced to use much more motion and passing since they don't have that unstoppable 7-footer who can shoot over anyone anytime he chooses. That style of passing and constant motion can be a more enjoyable or entertaining style of basketball for some fans. But real fans should not be confused into thinking that a more entertaining style makes them better. I don't like watching the Houston "iso" Rockets play. To me, watching Harden use up 18 seconds to go one-on-one is boring. But just because I think the Harlem Globetrotters are more entertaining, I do NOT believe that the Globetrotters are "better" and could beat the Rockets in a 7-game series. I think the "ugly" Rockets would utterly dominate the "entertaining" Globetrotters. Some may similarly find the Warriors more entertaining to watch without KD, but to me there is absolutely no question that they are far better with him. I picked the Warriors to win in 6 if they had everyone playing and the Raptors had everyone playing. I think the Raptors win if the Warriors are not healthy; that's not rocket science.
Sisqo
Analyst
And1: 2,267

Post#268 » by Sisqo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Statlanta wrote:It's funny and poetic that the KD situation only makes KAWHI, of all people look worse.

Or smart
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#269 » by Madhouse » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:38 pm

Statlanta wrote:It's funny and poetic that the KD situation only makes KAWHI, of all people look worse.

Not sure I can follow this logic.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,125

Post#270 » by duppyy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Madhouse wrote:

Sounds like something Kyrie would say.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#271 » by dr3am » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Klay is one of my favorite players but his recent comment about wanting the fans to be real loud for tomorrow nights last game at Oracle... Uh Klay they were loud in Game 4 at Oracle & y’all still got blowed off your homefloor... They can be super loud tomorrow but if y’all going to put up similar performances to Games 3 & 4 then there’s nothing really to cheer about.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sisqo
Analyst

Post#272 » by Sisqo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 pm

GameChannel wrote:Raptors got this. This is likely not going to game 7. As much as I hate him for what he did to my Spurs, Kawhi is in God-mode these playoffs. Not that I am surprised, his greatness was never in question. His douchebaggery is another issue altogether.

Skip that you?
Porz
Junior
And1: 276

Post#273 » by Porz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 pm

Madhouse wrote:

As far i gathered poetic is very well put. Funny, ironically funny maybe. Kawhi didn't sacrifice himself for us (Spurs fans), no explanation but more like a bailed the ship. Kd did sacrifice. Not saying you should but Kawhi injury wasn't so clearly understood anyways. Another interesting thing that KD did with that one quarter comeback was to show how good they would have been against elite defence even with out of shape KD. Putting a lot of doubt if nr.2 :D should be ahead of him as best player or literally nr.2.
Luka Doncic life matters too. No to racism!
GameChannel
Rookie

Post#274 » by GameChannel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Sisqo wrote:
GameChannel wrote:Raptors got this. This is likely not going to game 7. As much as I hate him for what he did to my Spurs, Kawhi is in God-mode these playoffs. Not that I am surprised, his greatness was never in question. His douchebaggery is another issue altogether.

Skip that you?

Damn, you raptors fans just can't **** even try to act graceful, can you? Then again, class is not something you can learn or acquire. You're either raised with it or you're not. Keep it classy, Raps fans!
Cobra Kawhi
Veteran
And1: 5,957

Post#275 » by Cobra Kawhi » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 pm

GameChannel wrote:
Sisqo wrote:

Skip that you?

Damn, you raptors fans just can't **** even try to act graceful, can you? Then again, class is not something you can learn or acquire. You're either raised with it or you're not. Keep it classy, Raps fans!

everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#276 » by everdiso » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:48 pm

GameChannel wrote:
Sisqo wrote:

Skip that you?

Did you just tell someone else to stay classy right after you called Kawhi a douchebag?
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
everdiso
General Manager

Post#277 » by everdiso » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Er, what just happened to KD completely justifies everything Kawhi did to protect himself.
GameChannel
Rookie

Post#278 » by GameChannel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 pm

everdiso wrote:
GameChannel wrote:
Sisqo wrote:
Skip that you?

Did you just tell someone else to stay classy right after you called Kawhi a douchebag?

Sorry, didn't realize you were related to him. I'm so sorry for calling a douchebag a douchebag. Happy now?
everdiso
General Manager

Post#279 » by everdiso » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 pm

GameChannel wrote:
everdiso wrote:
GameChannel wrote:

Sorry, didn't realize you were related to him. I'm so sorry for calling a douchebag a douchebag. Happy now?

I'm always happy.

Just remember - as a wise man once told me - you're either raised with it or you're not.
Sisqo
Analyst

Post#280 » by Sisqo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 pm

GameChannel wrote:
Sisqo wrote:

Skip that you?

Easy there man it was a joke. You talk ab out class but what type of reaction is that for someone who talks about class? Grow up.

Return to The General Board