OT - Stanley Cup - Game 7

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,362

Re: OT - Stanley Cup - Game 7 on NBC now 

Post#21 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:33 am

Not a big Hockey fan, but man do I wish the NBA can have these kind of stories. St. Louis was like what? the 3rd worst team in the leagues on new years day? Went from worst to a champion in the SAME season! That would've been like the Hawks or the Bulls post New years going on a tear, getting in the playoffs and winning the whole thing.

The NBA has to rely on the storylines like free agency and trade demands because the storylines off the court are far more interesting than the storylines on the court (though this year has been a much more interesting postseason atleast in the East)
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,414

Post#22 » by ImSlower » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:36 am

My whole office are going to be useless tomorrow. I moved back to the area at just the right time. If i were younger I'd be downtown with the rest of the party. Alas, its bedtime.

Every series was lots of fun. I'm not a hockey guy but its such a fantastic live sport, and intense as hell in the playoffs. Go Blues.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#23 » by BramptonYute » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 am

Dominater wrote:Not a big Hockey fan, but man do I wish the NBA can have these kind of stories. St. Louis was like what? the 3rd worst team in the leagues on new years day? Went from worst to a champion in the SAME season! That would've been like the Hawks or the Bulls post New years going on a tear, getting in the playoffs and winning the whole thing.

The NBA has to rely on the storylines like free agency and trade demands because the storylines off the court are far more interesting than the storylines on the court (though this year has been a much more interesting postseason atleast in the East)

I think they were dead last and looking to blow their team up. Crazy story for sure.
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#24 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:43 am

BramptonYute wrote:
Dominater wrote:Not a big Hockey fan, but man do I wish the NBA can have these kind of stories. St. Louis was like what? the 3rd worst team in the leagues on new years day? Went from worst to a champion in the SAME season! That would've been like the Hawks or the Bulls post New years going on a tear, getting in the playoffs and winning the whole thing.

I think they were dead last and looking to blow their team up. Crazy story for sure.

So it actually would've been like the Knicks or the Cavs coming back and winning it all. Even crazier

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#25 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:43 am

Also, this is crazy....

First round 1 vs 8 seed:

The Tampa Bay Lightning are coming off one of the most dominant regular seasons in NHL history -- no, seriously, these numbers are eye-popping. Meanwhile, the Columbus Blue Jackets just squeaked into the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs after being one of the more active teams at the trade deadline. Who wins this series? Let's break it down:

How they got here:

The Lightning arrived via steamroller, flattening their foes en route to 62 wins, tying the 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings for most all time in a single season. The Lightning finished with a goal differential of plus-103, the second-highest mark in the past 20 years. Their 3.96 goals per game is the highest in the NHL since 1995-96.

The Blue Jackets arrived in a pool of their own sweat and fingernails chewed to the bone. It took 81 games for the Jackets to clinch a playoff spot...

Prediction: Lightning in five. As previously stated, the Lightning have made it a habit of rolling through teams in the first two rounds, usually with one hiccup. The play of Bobrovsky in previous postseasons does nothing to dissuade that thinking.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26473710/2019-stanley-cup-playoffs-tampa-bay-lightning-vs-columbus-blue-jackets-series-preview-pick

The unthinkable has happened: The Columbus Blue Jackets have swept the Tampa Bay Lightning out of the playoffs in the first round. Tampa tied the NHL record for regular season wins, and failed to win a single game in the postseason. The Jackets advance with a 7-3 Game 4 victory, their first playoff series win in franchise history.

Game 1 (@TB): Blue Jackets 4, Lightning 3 | Recap
Game 2 (@TB): Blue Jackets 5, Lightning 1 | Recap
Game 3 (@CBJ): Blue Jackets 3, Lightning 1 | Recap
Game 4 (@CBJ): Blue Jackets 7, Lightning 3 | Recap

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/page/2019stanleycupcentral/2019-stanley-cup-playoffs-central-schedule-scores-highlights-analysis
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#26 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:50 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Also, this is crazy....

First round 1 vs 8 seed:

The Tampa Bay Lightning are coming off one of the most dominant regular seasons in NHL history -- no, seriously, these numbers are eye-popping. Meanwhile, the Columbus Blue Jackets just squeaked into the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs after being one of the more active teams at the trade deadline. Who wins this series? Let's break it down:

How they got here:

The Lightning arrived via steamroller, flattening their foes en route to 62 wins, tying the 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings for most all time in a single season. The Lightning finished with a goal differential of plus-103, the second-highest mark in the past 20 years. Their 3.96 goals per game is the highest in the NHL since 1995-96.

The Blue Jackets arrived in a pool of their own sweat and fingernails chewed to the bone. It took 81 games for the Jackets to clinch a playoff spot...

Prediction: Lightning in five. As previously stated, the Lightning have made it a habit of rolling through teams in the first two rounds, usually with one hiccup. The play of Bobrovsky in previous postseasons does nothing to dissuade that thinking.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26473710/2019-stanley-cup-playoffs-tampa-bay-lightning-vs-columbus-blue-jackets-series-preview-pick

The unthinkable has happened: The Columbus Blue Jackets have swept the Tampa Bay Lightning out of the playoffs in the first round. Tampa tied the NHL record for regular season wins, and failed to win a single game in the postseason. The Jackets advance with a 7-3 Game 4 victory, their first playoff series win in franchise history.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/page/2019stanleycupcentral/2019-stanley-cup-playoffs-central-schedule-scores-highlights-analysis

and that not even all that uncommon in hockey! Being a Chicago guy so kinda following the Blackhawks, a couple years ago they were the #1 seed and got swept out in round 1. I remember in 2010 the ECF featured a #7 seed vs a #8 seed.

How much more fun would the NBA playoffs be if we had this kind of unpredictability this frequently!

DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#27 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 am

I hate BOS. Happy they lost. Yay.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:07 am

Dominater wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Also, this is crazy....

First round 1 vs 8 seed:

How they got here:

and that not even all that uncommon in hockey! Being a Chicago guy so kinda following the Blackhawks, a couple years ago they were the #1 seed and got swept out in round 1. I remember in 2010 the ECF featured a #7 seed vs a #8 seed.

How much more fun would the NBA playoffs be if we had this kind of unpredictability this frequently!

Happens quite a bit in the NFL too. Maybe not as lately, but did for while.
ballbrah
Junior
And1: 1,006

Post#29 » by ballbrah » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:11 am

What a story for St. Louis. First championship. And potentially first raptors chip tomorrow. Solid week for sports.
http://www.havejerseys.com - Home to your favorite Throwback & Movie Jerseys! Always high quality, always low prices :nod:
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#30 » by LeMasta » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:17 am

This was one of the wildest playoffs yet in hockey. Both 1st seeds getting knocked out in 5 and 4 in the first round. Sharks down 3 in game 7 in the middle of the 3rd period score 4 goals in like 5 minutes against the Knights and take it in OT. Blues starts 2019 near the bottom of the standings and somehow end up winning the cup.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Re: OT - Stanley Cup - Game 7 

Post#31 » by JohnPferdelack » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:20 am

Congrats!
You really deserve it.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#32 » by Metallikid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 am

On January 8th this season they had the worst record in the NHL. I don't think any team in any sport has done something like this. It's almost as crazy as Leicester City.
Das
Senior
And1: 53

Post#33 » by Das » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:33 am

Just last year and expansion team went to the Stanley Cup Final.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,321

Post#34 » by Bolivar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 am

Yeah the intensity and mental requirements between "regular season NHL" and "playoff NHL" are so different that in a way they are different leagues altogether and it's kind of hard to really gauge if a team can take it all the way or not.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,147

Post#35 » by itrsteve » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:09 am

I’m surprised Celtics haters weren’t rooting for Boston as it would have made the C’s the only Boston team not the current champion and had the best odds to be there. That’s an unprecedented amount of sting.

Either way, awesome for STL. The few people I know from there are going bonkers.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,410

Post#36 » by Heej » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 pm

itrsteve wrote:I’m surprised Celtics haters weren’t rooting for Boston as it would have made the C’s the only Boston team not the current champion and had the best odds to be there. That’s an unprecedented amount of sting.

Either way, awesome for STL. The few people I know from there are going bonkers.

Yea man, us Boston haters were actually rooting for Boston to win so it stings more. Lol what.

Anyways, tuned in to see Boston lose and I was not disappointed. Every year I tell myself I should watch more hockey playoffs, but I'm glad I tuned in to this one even though it was kind of a snooze fest by the time I tuned in to the 2nd period. I guess it'll never be as intense for me as when the Rangers are in
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#37 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#38 » by TMU » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Adam Silver says you gotta keep the games close.
Juree93
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#39 » by Juree93 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Dominater wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Also, this is crazy....

First round 1 vs 8 seed:

How they got here:

not that common either... in 2012 Kings were first team to come to finals from 8th seed.. they won it all with 16-4 and tied all time record also.

btw: that few years Kings-Hawks rivaly was awesome..
Maximus74
Ballboy
And1: 47

Post#40 » by Maximus74 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:40 pm

The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win... Grats to the Blues!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time...

Return to The General Board