ImageImageImage

Thread for PO Series OTHER THAN US -- Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Re: Thread for PO Series OTHER THAN US -- Part 2 

Post#1321 » by Floody100 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:10 am

djFan71 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Wow. Klay tore his ACL. Warriors are **** for next year. Talk about being kicked when you're down.

Jeez, that's horrible. If KD opts in and takes up salary and Klay out himself for 6-9 months or whatever, Dubs could slip HARD. As in, not make the playoffs. I love Steph, but he can't do it all alone (on offense).

I wouldn't be shocked to see Lakers throw a max at Klay and him take it. Beat our Tatum-less package for AD, sign some vets, rehab Klay and make noise in the playoffs.

Torn ACL’s take up to a year to heal mate, him & KD aren’t seeing any game time next season.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#1322 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 am

Floody100 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Wow. Klay tore his ACL. Warriors are **** for next year. Talk about being kicked when you're down.

Jeez, that's horrible. If KD opts in and takes up salary and Klay out himself for 6-9 months or whatever, Dubs could slip HARD. As in, not make the playoffs. I love Steph, but he can't do it all alone (on offense).

I wouldn't be shocked to see Lakers throw a max at Klay and him take it. Beat our Tatum-less package for AD, sign some vets, rehab Klay and make noise in the playoffs.

Torn ACL’s take up to a year to heal mate, him & KD aren’t seeing any game time next season.

Best case scenario Klay comes back late next year or in the playoffs if the team he's on is playing in em.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#1323 » by Floody100 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Floody100 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Jeez, that's horrible. If KD opts in and takes up salary and Klay out himself for 6-9 months or whatever, Dubs could slip HARD. As in, not make the playoffs. I love Steph, but he can't do it all alone (on offense).

Best case scenario Klay comes back late next year or in the playoffs if the team he's on is playing in em.

I highly doubt it, my brother did his ACL & he couldn’t play for 12 months.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1324 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:52 am

Holy hell, just woke up to the Klay news.. two ACL injuries to two players on the same team in the same Finals series, both headed into free agency..
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1325 » by KGboss » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Holy hell, just woke up to the Klay news.. two ACL injuries to two players on the same team in the same Finals series, both headed into free agency..
Durant ruptured his Achilles

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,689

Post#1326 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 am

Wow about Thompson.

Warriors are going to try and max out two guys who may not even play next year
*Insert witty signature here.*
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,312

Post#1327 » by Froob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:04 pm

Steph
Cook?
MLE
Draymond
Looney maybe Boogie if they’re lucky

Not sure that’s a playoff team..

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1328 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 pm

KGboss wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Holy hell, just woke up to the Klay news.. two ACL injuries to two players on the same team in the same Finals series, both headed into free agency..

Right, “injuries”. I feel much worse for Klay, he was due for his first max contract and he’s sacrificed the most personal opportunity.. I don’t know if he’ll still get max offers, he’s less talented and more seriously injured than Durant.. the Warriors should max him for at least two years..
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1329 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Best case is that they miss the playoffs and get Tim Duncan in next year’s draft
KGboss
RealGM

Post#1330 » by KGboss » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
KGboss wrote:

Right, “injuries”. I feel much worse for Klay, he was due for his first max contract and he’s sacrificed the most personal opportunity.. I don’t know if he’ll still get max offers, he’s less talented and more seriously injured than Durant.. the Warriors should max him for at least two years..
You think an ACL is worse than an Achilles?

celticgreenie
Junior
And1: 269

Post#1331 » by celticgreenie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Zach Lowe article:
"If there is a team feeling Leonard regret now, it is Boston. The Celtics had the coveted young players and draft picks to outbid Toronto. Boston larded up its offer with draft picks, but declined to include Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown without gaining more assurance than was possible about Leonard's health and interest in re-signing, sources said at the time of the trade.

Boston's fretful waffling was understandable in the moment. Brown appeared on track to be an All-Star. Maybe more important, Boston believed it had a championship team already. They had just taken James and the Cleveland Cavaliers to Game 7 without Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward. Was it worth trading a key piece of what appeared then to be both a championship present and future to rent Leonard and watch him leave?

(It is incredible how much has changed for Boston in the past calendar year -- how many things went wrong, how many carefully laid plans appear in jeopardy.)

Acquiring Leonard also would have left Boston with four max-salary players in Irving, Hayward, Leonard and Al Horford -- untenable for long. Boston was saving its chips for Anthony Davis. Everyone around the league -- including the Raptors -- wondered if Leonard's health would ever allow him to be the player he was in 2017.

In retrospect, Boston was both too cautious and too optimistic about its existing core. (I was, too, by the way. Speaking of thin margins: A lot of us got so wrapped up in Boston pushing Cleveland to seven that we breezed past the fact that a middling Milwaukee team had done the same to the Celtics two rounds earlier.)"
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1332 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Glad we passed on Kawhi, it was too big a risk - but we were overconfident about the returning group.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1333 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm

KGboss wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
KGboss wrote:Durant ruptured his Achilles

I don’t know which is worse, but we know the story with ACL tears - about a year out and then 50/50 on getting back most of the athleticism. Zach Lavine is a success story, he improved this year coming back from surgery. I guess I’m assuming that because an Achilles “rupture” is less common, teams will be optimistic because it’s Durant
KGboss
RealGM

Post#1334 » by KGboss » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
KGboss wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

I don’t know which is worse, but we know the story with ACL tears - about a year out and then 50/50 on getting back most of the athleticism. Zach Lavine is a success story, he improved this year coming back from surgery. I guess I’m assuming that because an Achilles “rupture” is less common, teams will be optimistic because it’s Durant
Achilles injuries have ended guys careers before. Its much more serious. Durant will get paid regardless.

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#1335 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Glad we passed on Kawhi, it was too big a risk - but we were overconfident about the returning group.

Are we really sure Celtics "passed on Kawhi"?

When I look at what Spurs got, we don't have anyone comparable to DeRozan in terms of being a #1 or #2 on a team that still wants to compete in the playoffs. It was either give up Kyrie (not gonna happen) or a healthy Hayward (he was coming off surgery). They probably didn't want Horford due to age and overlap with LMA. Brown wasn't ready to take on that role even after coming off a good playoff run.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1336 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:23 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Glad we passed on Kawhi, it was too big a risk - but we were overconfident about the returning group.

When I look at what Spurs got, we don't have anyone comparable to DeRozan in terms of being a #1 or #2 on a team that still wants to compete in the playoffs. It was either give up Kyrie (not gonna happen) or a healthy Hayward (he was coming off surgery). They probably didn't want Horford due to age and overlap with LMA. Brown wasn't ready to take on that role even after coming off a good playoff run.

I can't remember if the trade was before Murray's injury.. I'd guess that the Spurs would have retooled around Brown, tried him out in a scoring role (he's five times better as a "prospect" than Poeltl, and he's been compared to Derozan as a player without fluid offensive instincts who will have to develop that part of his game gradually), maybe made other moves. They would have kept Danny Green, and we'd have matched Kawhi's 17 million with something like Jaylen, Morris, Rozier.. That would have been a better deal, probably, than the one they got.

We would've had way too much risk going into the summer, and chemistry issues this year with Hayward's injury recovery. Kyrie/Smart/healthy Hayward/Kawhi/Horford could be a contender, or Tatum starts in place of Smart or Hayward, but.. if you think one mercurial star player is tough to read..
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#1337 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

I can't remember if the trade was before Murray's injury.. I'd guess that the Spurs would have retooled around Brown, tried him out in a scoring role (he's five times better as a "prospect" than Poeltl, and he's been compared to Derozan as a player without fluid offensive instincts who will have to develop that part of his game gradually), maybe made other moves. They would have kept Danny Green, and we'd have matched Kawhi's 17 million with something like Jaylen, Morris, Rozier.. That would have been a better deal, probably, than the one they got.

We would've had way too much risk going into the summer, and chemistry issues this year with Hayward's injury recovery. Kyrie/Smart/healthy Hayward/Kawhi/Horford could be a contender, or Tatum starts in place of Smart or Hayward, but.. if you think one mercurial star player is tough to read..

DeRozan was a 4x all-star, made all-nba teams twice. 2nd team as recently as the season prior to being traded. As much as I'm in disagreement with Spurs valuation of DDR, we don't have anyone comparable to him. We can come up with several combinations, but it still all depends on what Pop/Spurs wanted/needed in return.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1338 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:31 pm

It's much better as a win-now deal, but if they decided to semi-rebuild, our package would be better.. The two ways stars usually get traded are for rebuilding packages or for a slightly less talented player at the same position plus other "assets."
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,289

Post#1339 » by Tyakack » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Raptors fans should be thanking danny. Had he pulled the trigger and traded jaylen freaking brown, they wouldn't be champions right now.
jcappy
Sixth Man
And1: 515

Post#1340 » by jcappy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Should of... would of... blah blah. You know what I love: the NY Knicks are stepping aside from the AD madness because their management has come to agree that the price is TOO HIGH. I wish Danny Boy would arrive at the same conclusion. Cuz Leonard's Finals performance was at best only slightly better than Toronto's point guards... maybe not even as contributing to the wins
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
~ Muhammad Ali

Return to Boston Celtics