Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

skulky
Junior
And1: 94

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball / '19 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1941 » by skulky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I'd be willing to let some other team figure out how to use Grant. Historically, the NBA hasn't been too friendly to that archetype of player.

Honest question, since no examples pop up in my head. Which players "busted" in the modern NBA who fit the archetype?

I don't know, Sean May, DeJuan Blair... I know I'll get someone to nitpick Grant Williams as he compares to those two, but it's an undersized PF who was hugely prolific in college. I can probably spend some time looking for more, but it's more of the absence of one in the NBA that should be more telling.

Also, to be clear, I'm not calling Grant Williams a bust at the end of the first round. I think he'll do great overseas/G-League.

Nice Sean May reference! He was such a beast in college. I think you’re missing Shelden Williams from that list. I can respect your outlook on Grant Williams but think he’s more versatile, and more mobile than some of those guys. I mean he’s lack of shooting is almost a deal breaker, but if he slips into second round I’d think about it depending on who’s on the board. He seems like someone the spurs would draft, high bbiq and good character. But he’s not super high on my sixers big board, just don’t think he’ll be a bust either.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1942 » by No-Man » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I'd be willing to let some other team figure out how to use Grant. Historically, the NBA hasn't been too friendly to that archetype of player.

Honest question, since no examples pop up in my head. Which players "busted" in the modern NBA who fit the archetype?

I don't know, Sean May, DeJuan Blair... I know I'll get someone to nitpick Grant Williams as he compares to those two, but it's an undersized PF who was hugely prolific in college. I can probably spend some time looking for more, but it's more of the absence of one in the NBA that should be more telling.

Also, to be clear, I'm not calling Grant Williams a bust at the end of the first round. I think he'll do great overseas/G-League.

Those were straight up Centers, neither can't defend a F ever, Grant can, he is not going to be a lockdown guy and might struggle in some aspects, but comparing him to Blair or May is laughable, no need to nitpick, it just doesn't work

You could've at least compared him to Chuck Hayes
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,663

Post#1943 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Weird, totally didn't expect that response.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#1944 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Pretty sure Blair didn’t have ligaments in his knees or something crazy. Had a decent few years in the league before they gave out.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1945 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Pretty sure Blair didn’t have ligaments in his knees or something crazy. Had a decent few years in the league before they gave out.

That's true. My point was that there's not many undersized PFs like Grant Williams in the NBA. I'll roll the dice on someone with insane stats and tools like Zion at the position, but Grant just doesn't move the needle. He could prove me wrong because he has a lot of the numbers I'm looking for in a prospect, but I'm not expecting it.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#1946 » by phillynative » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Jared Sullinger ..
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#1947 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Pretty sure Blair didn’t have ligaments in his knees or something crazy. Had a decent few years in the league before they gave out.

That's true. My point was that there's not many undersized PFs like Grant Williams in the NBA. I'll roll the dice on someone with insane stats and tools like Zion at the position, but Grant just doesn't move the needle. He could prove me wrong because he has a lot of the numbers I'm looking for in a prospect, but I'm not expecting it.

Blair’s wingspan and rebounding also allowed him to basically play center, he couldn’t really play the traditional 4. Also he spent a lot of time next to Tim Duncan who made a career out of making bad centers look good.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1948 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:23 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Blair’s wingspan and rebounding also allowed him to basically play center, he couldn’t really play the traditional 4. Also he spent a lot of time next to Tim Duncan who made a career out of making bad centers look good.

Right. So is everyone comfortable with Grant Williams being mobile enough to be defending the 4s of the league? Is he long enough to defend centers?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1949 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Right. So is everyone comfortable with Grant Williams being mobile enough to be defending the 4s of the league? Is he long enough to defend centers?

Its a no for me dawg.....
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1950 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 pm

I just don't see how Grant Williams fits our roster right now. Very productive player at the NCAA level, but I fail to see how we can productively use him right away.

Would much rather bring in a perimeter player, guard or defensive 5.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1951 » by LloydFree » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Nope. He'll either get drafted in the late 1st and have some team waste 2 years trying to get him to lose enough weight to stay on the floor against backup SFs, or he'll get drafted in the 2nd round and be forced to go to Europe in a year.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#1952 » by Monix » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 pm

I have Grant Williams too slow, not agile enough to guard 3s and too small to guard 5s

Carl Landry upside
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1953 » by Kolkmania » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:28 am

Mik317 wrote:
Spoiler:
Kolkmania wrote:
Mik317 wrote:also we really don't need another forward that probably is best as a small ball 5.

'We need guards and centers. Ones that can spot up and defend.

I think we need good basketball players above all. I don't have the illusion that our 2nd rounders or even the 24st pick will contribute in the PO next year and who knows what our roster looks like in the summer of 2020?

That doesn't mean I do not care about fit, just that we shouldn't disregard big wings because we have Simmons and Harris.

yes but also no.

Fit didn't matter during the process years because we were still searching for our core. Chances are we are going to pretty much bring back the whole starting five and Zhaire and maybe Bolden. That means hitting on one or two of these last rounders is going to be big and part of that is having dudes who can come in and play multiple roles with multiple lineups as our starters will probably miss games here and there prior to the playoffs...so taking a dude who can probably only play power forward and isn't the best floor spacer is simply a poor use of the dwindling assets we have. we saw that first hand this playoff via not having a ready big or a ready PG off the pine because we were carrying 50000 big slow centers lol.

I don't see it in Grant at all but even if I did, I think his best chance to blossom is on a team with a stretch big and no real post power forward. Maybe down the line he will slim up and stretch his game but he won't do it here with our already clogged lane.

Bottom line anyone we draft, regardless of if they will be ready day 1 (again w/ the hopeful better approach , it will mean JJ, Joel, and Jimmy will get days off; so peeps will get time), should be able to stretch the floor and switch on defense. Grant Williams doesn't project to be that to me. I will give him this...he is a bit younger than I thought so it is possible there is some upside there

I know its super late and it is a toss up but this is where the big boys do their best work...and if we want to be that we need to do so. More than likely after bringing it back , we will not have much to work w/ FA wise...so these picks will probably make up 1-2 spots off our bench and after a year of whining about that...we better not be hoping on the buy out market come the deadline this year. Basically Elton should be able to find Better James Ennis, Better Mike Scott, and a goddam back up center that won't die during the playoffs with these picks....its not about star hunting here.

I get your point. I simply have a different strategy. The guys we sign with Bird rights, Jonah Bolden, Zhaire Smith, Shake Milton, MLE and BAE should provide the depth for next year. We need our picks to convert in good players (not just fits for 2019/2020 roster) to sustain depth in future years, but that's just my opinion.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1954 » by Kolkmania » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Well to be fair, if you think that Grant projects as a non-shooting big then I totally get the hesitance of drafting him.

I think he's way more versatile on offense and perhaps I'm completely wrong, but I don't think his perimeter defense is nearly as bad as everybody is portraying here. But I'm also a person who thinks Covington is one of the best defenders in the NBA and gets beat off the dribble a ton. Not saying that Williams = Convington at all, just that running hard and jumping abilities are not my defining factors for projecting defense.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1955 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm really not enthused with the Sixers openly talking about wanting older "ready" players.

Read on Twitter

Ideally, there needs to be a mix of high upside guys and guys that are more likely to contribute in the next year or two. But we're not having a bench of all rookies (or practical rookies like Zhaire and Shake) so there's no need for the 14th and 15th guys on the bench (picks #33 and #34) to be 23 year old low upside rookies.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#1956 » by Mik317 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

I think that we are looking at guys who's bodies are "nba ready" more than just age wise. Dort for example is young but built like a truck.

Those types will make mistakes but it won't be due to their bodies not being ready ala Korkmaz, TLC and such.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1957 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 pm

BullyKing wrote:I'm really not enthused with the Sixers openly talking about wanting older "ready" players.

Read on Twitter

Ideally, there needs to be a mix of high upside guys and guys that are more likely to contribute in the next year or two. But we're not having a bench of all rookies (or practical rookies like Zhaire and Shake) so there's no need for the 14th and 15th guys on the bench (picks #33 and #34) to be 23 year old low upside rookies.

Prepare for Cam Johnson. It’s feels like a lock.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1958 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
BullyKing wrote:I'm really not enthused with the Sixers openly talking about wanting older "ready" players.

Read on Twitter

Prepare for Cam Johnson. It’s feels like a lock.

That's my fear/feeling as well.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#1959 » by Mik317 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:01 pm

starting my "deep dive" and been looking over some mocks.

CBS has us taking Kevin Porter Jr. Seems like a guy who some shot creation ability but he might be a ****?

..........sign me up.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1960 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Mik317 wrote:I think that we are looking at guys who's bodies are "nba ready" more than just age wise. Dort for example is young but built like a truck.

Those types will make mistakes but it won't be due to their bodies not being ready ala Korkmaz, TLC and such.

That's how I took that statement. They are leaning towards guys that are physically able to compete defensively, not just counting Birthdays.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers