FA Market for Cousins

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Walmart
Starter
And1: 1,318

FA Market for Cousins 

Post#1 » by Walmart » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:55 pm

What kind of contract does everyone think Cousins will get? After what we saw of him in Golden State, where would he be a good fit at this point?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: FA Market for Cousins 

Post#2 » by Slava » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 pm

He should forget ring chasing and go to a team like Charlotte to put up some numbers and help Kemba drag them to the playoffs.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#3 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 pm

I think he could get MLE pretty easily just depends what does he want to do? Ring Chase or try to get his Career back on the map helping a late lottery/1st round exit team.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,538

Post#4 » by shrink » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:21 pm

This would make a good poll.

I suspect he gets paid well above the MLE, and is a candidate to be overpaid badly once teams with cap space start missing out on free agent stars.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#5 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:28 pm

Sign back with Sacramento for the LOLz
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#6 » by Crives » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:32 pm

If Lakers miss out on AD and decide to maintain cap space next summer.. maybe sign Cousins to a really big 1 year deal
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#7 » by bpcox05 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:41 pm

shrink wrote:This would make a good poll.

I suspect he gets paid well above the MLE, and is a candidate to be overpaid badly once teams with cap space start missing out on free agent stars.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1851261
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,054

Post#8 » by queridiculo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:31 am

Cousins probably should have sat out the post-season, he didn't do himself any favors coming back and his performance may have only reinforced the perception of how his injury is going to impact him as a player.

He was a below the rim player before his achilles and he looks an absolute disaster on that front right now.

When you can't even rely on a big being a defensive presence, how can any team justify longterm high dollar deal?

A one year deal north of $20 million might be realistic for him this coming season, I doubt we'll see anybody make a longterm commitment anywhere near that.

The timing for Cousins injury couldn't have been worse, probably cost him on the order of $100 million in salaries.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,474

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Don’t worry, Dallas is going to have a lot of money left over in midJuly, just be patient.

I definitely see a team offering him a decent 2 year deal. Two year 28 but a player option? Two year 38 with a team option?
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,918

Post#10 » by ChettheJet » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:24 pm

I guess where he goes depends on how long of a contract he wants. There are probably some teams who are willing to sign him for 3 years thinking he is going to be the player he was 3 years ago, and they'll be stuck with a contract that's more than he's worth for 3 years.

If he'd look at a one year plus an option he'd be a good fit for the Bulls He could come off the bench behind Carter and Markkanen and not have to push 36 minutes every night. By the end of the year he might not put up the stats that some use to measure players by if his quality of play was there he could decide to stay and try to win or look for a big contract. Which being one year older becomes less likely
Multipe Sources
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#11 » by Multipe Sources » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Crives wrote:If Lakers miss out on AD and decide to maintain cap space next summer.. maybe sign Cousins to a really big 1 year deal

This makes the most sense. If LAL does land AD, I do wonder what his top option would end up being... he could still end up there next to AD, but that's not nearly as likely.

I don't think Brooklyn or NY would make him a big offer unless they land one major FA and can't land a second. Even then, both have young, cheap centers already. LAC makes a lot of sense. Dallas a little bit too, although I think they'd be smart to put KP at C (not PF). Boston makes sense if Kyrie magically stays. I could also see Pat Riley/ Miami trying to pursue him, but their cap situation is currently a mess and GSW can't sign and trade him. The Spurs might try too.

So the only chances he has of getting a solid contract are probably LAC, LAL, and Dallas, but if he takes less I think Boston, Miami, and San Antonio would love to have him. It'll be interesting because few teams are really looking for a center and Vucevic is the better option anyways (but would probably require a much larger contract).
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,726

Post#12 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:41 pm

I used to think Cousins was the best big in the league, but meaningful basketball really exposed him. Obviously, he was coming off a couple of injuries, but he's never been a defensive minded guy and you have to hide him on that end. And any team looking to win big shouldn't offer him a deal. When the chips are down he'll end up costing you more than he gets you.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#13 » by NatiboyB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm

I'd give him a 3 year 45 million if the 3rd year was a team option. I'd even go as far as a 4 year 60 million and make the final season a player option....I think he will rebound back as soon as next season but he will never put up those Kings numbers again to me those were high usage numbers anyway....But I expect 20 and 10 from him with the ability to hit the 3pt shot.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,612

Post#14 » by Swish1906 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:14 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Don’t worry, Dallas is going to have a lot of money left over in midJuly, just be patient.

I definitely see a team offering him a decent 2 year deal. Two year 28 but a player option? Two year 38 with a team option?

Pre Luka/KP Mavs would be this desperate. Not anymore. If they strike out in the bigger named they Go after Beverley etc.

They dont wanna ruin their locker room with Cousins. The have a hard one for high character guys
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#15 » by Asif16 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Portland might be a good fit

Return to Trades and Transactions