ImageImageImage

Jonathan Simmons Contract Trade value

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Re: Jonathan Simmons Contract Trade value 

Post#21 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:17 am

oldschool1 wrote:My understanding is that Simmons contract for the 2019/20 of $5.7 Million becomes non-guaranteed some time before late July/August (with a $1 million buyout). Withe Sixers likely over the cap (and with only exemptions available after signing Butler/Harris), it makes sense for the Sixers to trade Simmons to a team that is looking to unload 2019/20 salary. The Sixers should target a player with a 2019/20 salary of between $4.1- 7.1 Million (125% of Simmons salary). I took look at possible targets which inside the foilowing:
- Ersan ($7 million); Bjelica ($6.8 million); Malik Monk ($4.0 million); PJ Tucker (remote) ($8.3 million); there could be others. I am no salary cap expert. . The Sixers could sweeten the deal by adding a second round pick. I think Milwaukee would definitely do a Ersan for Simmons plus a second round pick. You might ben able to get done without the pick, Milwaukee may give us a pick.

If we want to trade a pick for a player, Simmons could be useful salary filler. We don't really have other options. Just about everyone else either has value in themselves or is a free agent.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#22 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:09 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:Fultz was the consensus number 1 pick. If you have a link to your comments from before the draft where you said he shouldn't be taken in the top ten, I'll be happy to acknowledge your prescience.

He was not the consensus #1 pick, more like top 4. And I never sat in a room and had a conversation with the kid. That’s not my job. If you can’t acknowledge that something is clearly mentally “off” about Fultz then you’re delusional.

I don't remember seeing a single mock draft with Fultz other than #1. Even before Philly traded up for him. Nor do I remember a massive condemnation of the trade when it happened. A quick search didn't turn up anything indicating otherwise, but I may be misremembering things. Feel free to post links to anything from the time that would indicate Fultz wasn't the consensus #1 at the time.
nycphils
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#23 » by nycphils » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:39 pm

FWIW, my recollection is the same - Fultz was consensus #1, and there wasn’t criticism at the time.

However, to be complete, later reporting says Ainge saw Fultz turning wonky in his workout and wanted nothing to do with him...it was Colangelo’s job to see it too, or at least decide that dealing the SAC pick wasn’t worth it since there seemed to be risk that hadn’t been there before and either (a) save the SAC pick and see who of Tatum, Fultz or Lonzo fell and pick from that group and the others available (in hindsight almost certainly would have gotten Fultz anyway) or (b) run in the other direction and take someone else...Tatum, or Jackson/Isaac/Makkanen/etc.

Either way we’d be better off. Colangelo was a complete disaster no matter how you cut it.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,801

Post#24 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:57 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:Fultz was the consensus number 1 pick. If you have a link to your comments from before the draft where you said he shouldn't be taken in the top ten, I'll be happy to acknowledge your prescience.

He was not the consensus #1 pick, more like top 4. And I never sat in a room and had a conversation with the kid. That’s not my job. If you can’t acknowledge that something is clearly mentally “off” about Fultz then you’re delusional.

I don't remember seeing a single mock draft with Fultz other than #1. Even before Philly traded up for him. Nor do I remember a massive condemnation of the trade when it happened. A quick search didn't turn up anything indicating otherwise, but I may be misremembering things. Feel free to post links to anything from the time that would indicate Fultz wasn't the consensus #1 at the time.

The major outlets might have considered Fultz as the unanimous #1 pick, but plenty on here were certainly wary of him as a prospect and wasn't in consideration of the #1 pick.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#25 » by brannigan73 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:30 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
SouthJersey wrote:That trade sucked. They traded Fultz for a bench guy that was as useless as Fultz when they were in compete now mode and needed another bench player.

+ a 1st that helped get Tobias + an early 2nd that probably has at least a 50/50 shot of being more productive than Fultz. All while saving close to $10M...so no, it didn’t suck. Elton had to make the most out of a bad situation that BC screwed up horribly

They could have traded four second round picks for Mirotic (or probably one late first could have trumped Milwaukee) and kept Fultz and went half way while still keeping options open. Instead they went all in for Tobias Harris who is not a difference maker. And saved 10 million for what over-paying Tobias Harris? Believe me no one was more tired of Markelle Fultz antics then me but they had to do better then Simmons. Its a classic case of over valuing a guy you knew from another team. They were probably shocked at how bad Simmons is now compared to San Antinio. And who cares about those picks they are in win now mode you can't tell me the Atlanta Hawks wouldn't have given you Dedmon and a second round pick for Fultz or even just Dedmon. F those second round and late first round picks how are all those mid and late first round picks treating the Celtics?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#26 » by BullyKing » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 pm

If Simmons' contract becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the league year, and you can no longer make trades involving players under contract that will be processed before the start of the league year, did we just miss our window to get out of the guaranteed portion of his salary?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#27 » by Arsenal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:43 pm

BullyKing wrote:If Simmons' contract becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the league year, and you can no longer make trades involving players under contract that will be processed before the start of the league year, did we just miss our window to get out of the guaranteed portion of his salary?

There's no way. It would be criminal negligence to allow his contract to become guaranteed. There's got to be time for it to be terminated still. I don't have a lot of faith in this FO, but they couldn't possibly be that dumb.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#28 » by BullyKing » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Arsenal wrote:
BullyKing wrote:If Simmons' contract becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the league year, and you can no longer make trades involving players under contract that will be processed before the start of the league year, did we just miss our window to get out of the guaranteed portion of his salary?

There's no way. It would be criminal negligence to allow his contract to become guaranteed. There's got to be time for it to be terminated still. I don't have a lot of faith in this FO, but they couldn't possibly be that dumb.

They could still cut him or waive and stretch him but we'd still be on the hook for the guarantee (for either 1 or 3 years) but it seems we missed our chance to get out of it entirely.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#29 » by Arsenal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:57 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

They could still cut him or waive and stretch him but we'd still be on the hook for the guarantee (for either 1 or 3 years) but it seems we missed our chance to get out of it entirely.

We're on the hook for the guarantee of $1M.

Are you referring to us being on the hook for the entire amount of $5.7M? If so I'm not understanding what deadline we missed to cut him.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#30 » by BullyKing » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Arsenal wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Are you referring to us being on the hook for the entire amount of $5.7M? If so I'm not understanding what deadline we missed to cut him.

I'm just talking about the million. I was hoping we'd pay $1.5 million to the Bulls to eat the $1 million guaranteed salary for us. I think we've missed the deadline to have done that.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#31 » by Arsenal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I'm just talking about the million. I was hoping we'd pay $1.5 million to the Bulls to eat the $1 million guaranteed salary for us. I think we've missed the deadline to have done that.

Not a huge deal. Worst case we stretch waive him if needed and it counts $333K for the next 3 years.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#32 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 am

Guess I was wrong. Can't believe it cost us 42 just to dump $1 million.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#33 » by Arsenal » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:38 am

I bet Harris and the owners lined their pockets with some ca$h con$ideration$ as well.
Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

Post#34 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Does the team receive a trade exception? If so, that would be valuable.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers