ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread 3 - Draftage: Music to Select Your Young Prospects By

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Hey Everyone! It's time to...

STFU Capn'O!
18%
FFS STFU Capn'O!!!
82%

Total votes: 38

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,582

Re: Draft Thread 3 - Draftage: Music to Select Your Young Prospects By 

Post#141 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:09 am

K-DOT wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Outside of luka i believe zion and rj would go 2&3 in last years draft.

Rj and jjjr would have been a toss up at 3 but i definetly believe Rj is better than anyone in last years draft outside of luka and jjr.

I’m taking Ayton and Bagley over RJ all day

I think he goes anywhere between 4-7 last year, Carter is the first player I'd say he's definitely better than, and you can make a case for him over anybody except the top 3

Then go back a year and it's the same thing, no way he goes above Fultz, Ball, or Tatum (Boston would've taken Tatum 1st if they hadn't traded the pick), then you could make an argument for anyone 4-7 over him. It'd be a debate at least, we're not using hindsight

2016 I don't think Brown gets picked before him, but Ingram and Simmons definitely do

But also, Ja doesn't go higher than maybe 4th in 2016, every other year he's in the 6-8 range. He's not terrible, but he's very overrated and shouldn't be a top 3 pick

Agreed with all of this. I don't see RJ going above Young last year, because it became clear as day that ATL is trying to build a GS-esque team, Young is perfect for that, RJ is not. So I think 6th and 7th is where the discussion would really start for him. I do agree he goes before WCJ, the question is, who would ORL like more between him and Bamba. No way he cracks the top 3-4 of last year's draft.

2017 I don't think he falls past 4. Him vs Josh Jackson would be a pretty easy pick in my opinion. And ya he goes over Brown pretty easily. I think the discussion would be a good one between him and Ingram. RJ had the much better season. But I do think Ingram would end up going #1. Ingram was a lights out 3pt shooter at Duke, the far greater defender and well. Then add in his crazy length, I still think Ingram goes 2.

And ya I think most drafts RJ 4-6 is a good pick, Ja 7-10 is a good pick.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,241

Post#142 » by DOT » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:14 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I’m taking Ayton and Bagley over RJ all day

I think he goes anywhere between 4-7 last year, Carter is the first player I'd say he's definitely better than, and you can make a case for him over anybody except the top 3

Then go back a year and it's the same thing, no way he goes above Fultz, Ball, or Tatum (Boston would've taken Tatum 1st if they hadn't traded the pick), then you could make an argument for anyone 4-7 over him. It'd be a debate at least, we're not using hindsight

2016 I don't think Brown gets picked before him, but Ingram and Simmons definitely do

But also, Ja doesn't go higher than maybe 4th in 2016, every other year he's in the 6-8 range. He's not terrible, but he's very overrated and shouldn't be a top 3 pick

Agreed with all of this. I don't see RJ going above Young last year, because it became clear as day that ATL is trying to build a GS-esque team, Young is perfect for that, RJ is not. So I think 6th and 7th is where the discussion would really start for him. I do agree he goes before WCJ, the question is, who would ORL like more between him and Bamba. No way he cracks the top 3-4 of last year's draft.

2017 I don't think he falls past 4. Him vs Josh Jackson would be a pretty easy pick in my opinion. And ya he goes over Brown pretty easily. I think the discussion would be a good one between him and Ingram. RJ had the much better season. But I do think Ingram would end up going #1. Ingram was a lights out 3pt shooter at Duke, the far greater defender and well. Then add in his crazy length, I still think Ingram goes 2.

Right, and I think this is where people misunderstand me a bit when I say I'm completely against Ja 3rd, it's less to do with the player and more to do with where our pick is

Like, I was all on board the Mikal Bridges train last year, but if we jumped to 3 or 4 and we drafted him, I'd've been pissed. Same thing with Ja, if we were picking later, I think he's a good risk pick. I'd be happy with him in either of the last two drafts when we picked 8th and 9th, but I wouldn't touch him with a top 3 pick this draft or last two
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,204

Post#143 » by TheGreenArrow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:18 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
I don't see how RJ goes #2 last year. He isn't a better prospect than Bagley who went 2nd. Ja wouldnt go before Lonzo and Fox in the 2017 draft. Ja wouldnt go before Russell in 2015 either. Especially with how well Russell shot the 3 ball his freshman year.

Rj and jjjr would have been a toss up at 3 but i definetly believe Rj is better than anyone in last years draft outside of luka and jjr.

Ayton definitely not but bagley is debatable i give you that.

Im not high on bagley but i definetly see the potential.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#144 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:33 am

K-DOT wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I think he goes anywhere between 4-7 last year, Carter is the first player I'd say he's definitely better than, and you can make a case for him over anybody except the top 3

Right, and I think this is where people misunderstand me a bit when I say I'm completely against Ja 3rd, it's less to do with the player and more to do with where our pick is

Like, I was all on board the Mikal Bridges train last year, but if we jumped to 3 or 4 and we drafted him, I'd've been pissed. Same thing with Ja, if we were picking later, I think he's a good risk pick. I'd be happy with him in either of the last two drafts when we picked 8th and 9th, but I wouldn't touch him with a top 3 pick this draft or last two

Yup. And Im the same way. I know many think I am an RJ hater. Its just the fact is when I see this draft I don't see a true tier 2 prospect. I don't see a prospect in this draft that is that lock top 3 pick in almost any draft. So ya I think RJ at 3 is just a little high. I think he has a little too many warts to be considered a great #3 pick heading into the draft (doesn't mean he cant prove me wrong and be a beast).

Same for Ja, I get the excitement around him, the dude is a tremendous athlete and a highlight reel guy without a doubt. But what would a guy like DSJ look like if he played as Sophomore in the Ohio Valley Conference. Im sure he would be putting up highlights left and right and putting up some staggering stats. Hell ya I take the shot with him later in the top 10, but 2nd? That doesn't feel like great value to me.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#145 » by TheGreenArrow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35 am

You guys are selling rj short. I beleive he'll have a luka like impact for our team.
ADeP7
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#146 » by ADeP7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:36 am

Man I just don’t feel the way some of you guys feel.
Only people I’d have taken over Barrett last year were
Luka at 1
Ayton at 2
Then Barrett at 3
Bagley 4
Jjj at 5
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#147 » by Oscirus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:48 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
I don't see how RJ goes #2 last year. He isn't a better prospect than Bagley who went 2nd. Ja wouldnt go before Lonzo and Fox in the 2017 draft. Ja wouldnt go before Russell in 2015 either. Especially with how well Russell shot the 3 ball his freshman year.

So you'd choose two centers that don't play defense over a dynamic playmaking shooting guard, good luck with that
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#148 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:49 am

ADeP7 wrote:Man I just don’t feel the way some of you guys feel.
Luka at 1
Ayton at 2
Then Barrett at 3
Bagley 4
Jjj at 5

I think Bagley was the superior player while at Duke, pretty much every advance stat metric shows Bagley having the much bigger impact than RJ while at Duke. He had the higher floor coming into the NBA, had the higher upside and he is far easier to plug into any system.

The reason I don't have RJ above him is pretty simple. RJ is a ball dominant guard, that doesn't play defense and has a poor ast:TO ratio and was an inefficient scorer (53 TS%). I think if RJ excelled in one of those areas or had a more versatile game, I could get the argument for him over Bagley.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#149 » by TheGreenArrow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:51 am

ADeP7 wrote:Man I just don’t feel the way some of you guys feel.
Luka at 1
Ayton at 2
Then Barrett at 3
Bagley 4
Jjj at 5

Flip ayton and jjjr and i agree totally.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#150 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:54 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ayton definitely but as to Bagley am always concerned with bigs that have short wingspans.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,374

Post#151 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:22 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Ayton sh*ts on RJ as a prospect. This dude just had a historic rookie season. Bugging

Bagley is like a 6’11 big that runs like a wing
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,369

Post#152 » by robillionaire » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:26 am

I’d take RJ over Ayton
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#153 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:27 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Ayton definitely but as to Bagley am always concerned with bigs that have short wingspans.

I think Bagley will be a star soon. He’s so raw but yet puts up big numbers. Just imagine how he would be when he develops. He also improved his defense a lot, just like Ayton. I’m pretty high on Bagley
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,263

Post#154 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:29 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:You guys are selling rj short. I beleive he'll have a luka like impact for our team.

Wut
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#155 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:34 am

Oscirus wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

So you'd choose two centers that don't play defense over a dynamic playmaking shooting guard, good luck with that

I guess you did not watch Ayton and Bagley play this season. Yikes
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,506

Post#156 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:35 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Ayton sh*ts on RJ as a prospect. This dude just had a historic rookie season. Bugging

I'm not touching Ayton with a 10-foot pole. I'm not denying his talent, but I don't see him having much of a two-way impact because he's always going to be a liability defensively. He'll put up big numbers, but he's also going to lose a lot of games.

I'm no scout but I would definitely take Trae, Luka and Bagley ahead of RJ, no question. JJJ was a better prospect as well, but I don't know if he's going to be this transcendent player that people talk about. I personally like RJ's upside better as a versatile NBA wing. I guess it's just a gut feeling. It's probable that I'm wrong though.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#157 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:39 am

RJ is gonna be a lefty Kobe
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#158 » by Mecca » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:46 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:You guys are selling rj short. I beleive he'll have a luka like impact for our team.

I don’t think y’all realize how legendary Luke’s rookie year was. Y’all setting yourselves up for failure.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#159 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:47 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

I'm not touching Ayton with a 10-foot pole. I'm not denying his talent, but I don't see him having much of a two-way impact because he's always going to be a liability defensively. He'll put up big numbers, but he's also going to lose a lot of games.

I'm no scout but I would definitely take Trae, Luka and Bagley ahead of RJ, no question. JJJ was a better prospect as well, but I don't know if he's going to be this transcendent player that people talk about. I personally like RJ's upside better as a versatile NBA wing. I guess it's just a gut feeling. It's probable that I'm wrong though.

Ayton has a bigger impact on games than most of this draft class

Ayton ranked 2nd among rookies in Win Shares with 5.8 (Basketball-Reference), 2nd with a Player Impact Estimate of 13.9 (NBA.com/Stats)

His rim protection sucks but he has improved so much in that area and he is already a good perimeter defender. I don’t see why he can’t be a positive defender overall eventually.

I’m confused on why you like Jokic and KAT but not a fan of Ayton when those guys struggle on D like Ayton but get the job done offensive wise.

RJ is def a good prospect but i am not sold on him being better than the top guys of last years draft. There’s nothing wrong with that cause last years draft class was historic.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#160 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:49 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

I think Bagley will be a star soon. He’s so raw but yet puts up big numbers. Just imagine how he would be when he develops. He also improved his defense a lot, just like Ayton. I’m pretty high on Bagley

Yeah Ayton gave Giannis fits when guarding him.

Suns would need a defensive anchor though at the 4 and a PG that can feed Ayton the ball.

Return to New York Knicks