ImageImageImageImageImage

Cheap ways to add talent

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Cheap ways to add talent 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:50 am

So since we are cash strapped and injured I am working on adding some cheap talent. So I'm looking at Undrafted guys.....our draft picks....possibly adding another draft pick....and some veteran minimum guys.

First some undrafted guys who could potentially play right away and actually help.

1. Fletcher MaGee.... JJ Redick clone. Senior who shot a career 43% from 3 on very high volume, and broke the 3 pointers made record. Super quick release.

2. Iggy Brazdeikis....Freshman...Reminds me of a Chris Mullin/ Sarunas clone. Super tough wing who can put the ball on the floor and score with contact. Decent defender, but great competitor.
Right now he's not on draft.net, but could easily be picked in the 2nd round. Guy will play right away in the right situation.

3. Jessie Govan....6'10" built like a rock. Senior who shot a career 41% from 3. Not a great athlete but can play inside and also spread the floor.

For the second round I love Terrance Mann from Florida State. He is a great wing defender and super tough. Probably doesn't last to our 2nd round pick, so would love to purchase a 2nd rounder to grab him.

Our Santa Cruz Warrior Smailagic could be a steal if he can last to our 2nd rounder. 6'9" skilled offensive player who is very young still and needs to add muscle, but the dude reminds me of Joe Ingles.

The Warriors seem to love Terrance Davis, and he may be there for our 2nd rounder, wo don't ne surprised. Could also be an undrafted invite.

For our first rounder I have a list of guys. Considering what happened with Klay and KD I feel like we absolutely need a guy who will contribute right away.

1. Ty Jerome....Virginia, 6'5" PG who is a big shot maker. Not a great athlete, but under control at all times and ismt afraid of the moment.

2. Matisse Thybulle ...best wing defender in the draft. 6'6" good athlete. His shot looks good, but percentages need to improve.

3. Cam Johnson 6'8" North Carolina. Dude is 23 years old and would play immediately. Polished scorer. Not a great defender, but he can improve. The guy fits.

4. Grant Williams 6'7"Mack Truck. Dude is tough as ess. Good mid range game and good rebounder. Some compare him to Draymond, but I don't get the comparison. However he'd be a good pick.

Several other good guys to grab if they fall. Kabengele, Clarke, Washington.

I haven't fully looked into the veteran minimum guys but Derrick Rose could be a steal of a pick up.
18 points 4 assists. 37% from 3, 48% fg, and 86% ft.
Dude had a solid season, and I think coming to the Warriors could be a great swan song move for his legacy.

I would also try and entice Taj Gibson to come over as well. I feel he'll get to good an offer, but he'd be a really nice fit.

I also really like Marcus Derrickson to make the roster next year. He can really shoot from range and is a pretty good rebounder. 42% from 3 in the G League.

I think Damian Lee will be added to the roster and possibly start at shooting guard opening night.

Curry, Derrick Rose, Cook
Iguodala, Ty Jerome, Fletcher MaGee, Damian Lee
MLE, McKinnie, Iggy Brazdeikis
Draymond, Derrickson, Smailagic
Looney, Taj Gibson, Govan

Just spit balling
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
FloydWarrior
Junior
And1: 182

Re: Cheap ways to add talent 

Post#2 » by FloydWarrior » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:51 am

Just don't forget to put Curry, Draymond & Iguodala in parentheses, no need to push them more than, let's say, 41 games.

#TankWarriors
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#3 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:27 pm

I'd be ok with tanking, but I have this strange feeling they aren't going to go that route until forced.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#4 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I'd be ok with tanking, but I have this strange feeling they aren't going to go that route until forced.

You're right, there's no way they start the first season in SF without putting the best team they can on the floor. I'd love Rose but I can't see getting him. I think he'll end up back in Chicago. As for Cook, I've seen enough of him. I hope they don't tender him a QO and just let him go.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#5 » by CalGTR » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I'd be ok with tanking, but I have this strange feeling they aren't going to go that route until forced.

Yeah, tanking doesn't seem their style. I do hope they really crank down Steph's minutes and games played this coming season, no matter what that means in the standings. They've already been doing that with Igoudala, and I'm sure they'll continue to do whatever they can to keep him reasonably healthy.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#6 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:39 pm

You're not tanking with a healthy Steph Curry you maniacs. foh
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#7 » by and1GS » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:59 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:You're not tanking with a healthy Steph Curry you maniacs. foh
Why not? We've done it before. Minor injuries in Klay's rookie year shut him down for most of the season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:10 pm

and1GS wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:You're not tanking with a healthy Steph Curry you maniacs. foh
Why not? We've done it before. Minor injuries in Klay's rookie year shut him down for most of the season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

rookie Klay was rookie Klay. Tanking then made sense. Tanking with a 2 X MVP and top 5 player in the league does not.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,302

Post#9 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Steph needs finger surgery and he’s had a host of leg injuries through this year. He’s not healthy enough to overload next year pursuing a meaningless bottom bracket playoff berth.

Grow up already. We’re not returning to championship form by next June so bag it and load up for 20-21

The best part of this strategy will be when we drop down in the litter because of a fix (or even ala tanking punishment) and still end up picking the best player.

I’m in this for rings, and always here for l butthurt from the rest of the league.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:

Steph needs finger surgery and he’s had a host of leg injuries through this year. He’s not healthy enough to overload next year pursuing a meaningless bottom bracket playoff berth.

Grow up already. We’re not returning to championship form by next June so bag it and load up for 20-21

The best part of this strategy will be when we drop down in the litter because of a fix (or even ala tanking punishment) and still end up picking the best player.

I’m in this for rings, and always here for l butthurt from the rest of the league.

Grow up already lol. wtf? Chill Sleepy.

I'm not commenting on if tanking is or isn't a good idea. I'm simply saying its not a possibility at all. Nor is it something I would do.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

I'm not commenting on if tanking is or isn't a good idea. I'm simply saying its not a possibility at all. Nor is it something I would do.

I would normally agree with you but, What iof Steph or Draymond go down for a length of time? Its plausible because both have so many miles and had nagging injuries this season. You never know. Its why I said they may be forced into it.
Khoee wrote “
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

I would normally agree with you but, What iof Steph or Draymond go down for a length of time? Its plausible because both have so many miles and had nagging injuries this season. You never know. Its why I said they may be forced into it.

If Steph picked up a legitimate injury that sidelined for a 2-3 month period, sure, shut it down at that point. But for fans to want to head into 2019-2020 with the plan to tank?? thats asinine

Tell that to Steph and Dray I'm sure they'd love to hear it. How about we let them gun for a 4 or 5 seed and hope Klay is healthy by then? ACLs aren't the death sentence they used to be. Adrian Peterson tore his ACL in December and was back in September for his 2000 yard season.

We don't even know who the contenders are going to be for the 2020 title. GSW could EASILY be in that discussion if Klay gets healthy late in the season depending on what else happens with this roster. And even if not, I'd rather go see what Steph and Dray can lead us to than just assume they can't lead us to anything. F that noise
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#13 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:50 pm

What about Chuma Okeke?

Heard he may not be drafted because of ACL.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:18 pm

What about Jimmer? He still in China?
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#15 » by donkeylips » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:12 pm

Force draymond to improve his shooting.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#16 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm

We can't proceed with Livinston and Cook as our only ball handlers off the bench. It looks live Liv is retiring and Cook isn't good enough.

We could go for Carsen Edwards but after his tourney it seems like we would have to spend our 1st to get him.

My choice, in the 2nd round would be Ky Bowman from BC. Excellent athleticism and agility, solid 3pt shooter and has some passing instincts. Needs to work on his defensive footwork but the lateral quickness is there. Strong body who does little things like boxing out and has a nose for rebounds. Can finish over and around bigger players at the bucket. His game also looks more like an NBA skillset than any of the 2nd round PGs.

Edwards has fantastic range and supreme confidence in his shot but he's a little stiff and I don't think his lateral quickness is good enough to stay in front of NBA PGs. The comparison to Quinn Cook is accurate in this regard.

Jaylen Hands has nice athleticism and is smooth but his body type lacks strength and he's not terribly explosive. I see him having trouble getting into the lane and finishing in the NBA.

Ty Jerome has nice size and great instincts on both sides of the ball. He's a great shooter but he's not particularly quick, long or strong and I don't think he has enough to excel either as an on ball defender or getting his own shot. We would also have to use our first to get him.

The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#17 » by CalGTR » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:57 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:What about Jimmer? He still in China?

Jimmer would jump at the chance to play with any NBA team, let alone the W's. However, and I love me some Jimmer, he's just not a good enough ball handler to run the point and he's a defensive liability at the shooting guard spot. He's also never developed his off-ball skills well enough to be a Reddick or Korver type guy. Basically, he needs the ball in his hands but has a hard time playing like that in the NBA. So, he's a difficult fit despite all of his considerable talents.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#18 » by BW32 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 pm

Just a thought but if you're gonna sign multiple undrafted/dleague/2nds it would be worth considering using a portion of the MLE instead of the min exception in order to get a 3rd year, they would still be restricted (maybe not the dleaguers if they have been around) at the end and you'd get an extra min year if they work out.

I wouldn't take a portion out for just one guy but if we got multiple guys it's worth thinking about.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 751

Post#19 » by jaymo123 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 pm

donkeylips wrote:Force draymond to improve his shooting.

This. Take the second round money and give it to a shooting coach to help Draymond.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:38 am

BW32 wrote:Just a thought but if you're gonna sign multiple undrafted/dleague/2nds it would be worth considering using a portion of the MLE instead of the min exception in order to get a 3rd year, they would still be restricted (maybe not the dleaguers if they have been around) at the end and you'd get an extra min year if they work out.

I wouldn't take a portion out for just one guy but if we got multiple guys it's worth thinking about.

For sure. For the right guy and the right fit.

But first off we need to know who they will target for the MLE. Because that player could possibly command all of it.

We need to come up with a good lost of possibilities. Realistic ones. Rudy Gay, Paul Milsap, Take Gibson, Robin Lopez, etc....who is realstic? Who do they envision that might stick around past next season? Who fits?
Khoee wrote “

Return to Golden State Warriors