Cleveland-Boston

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Cleveland-Boston 

Post#1 » by DowJones » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:12 pm

This is assuming a few things---

1. Boston knows Kyrie is gone
2. Culver is taken with the 4th pick

Cleveland Trades
-Collin Sexton

Boston Trades
-Jaylen Brown

Why for Cleveland
-By trading Sexton, Cleveland would then be able to draft Garland at 5 and pair him with Brown, a more proven wing.

Why for Boston
-Roster balance and finances. Right now Boston has Tatum-Brown-Hayward to play the 2 and the 3. Marcus Smart is also more of a 2 than a 1. Assuming Kyrie leaves, a hole opens up at the 1 for the Celtics. Sexton was a very promising rookie that averaged 17-3-3 with shooting averages of 43-40-84. This deal also helps Boston out financially as Boston is probably a year away from having to match a max-contract offer for Brown. Sexton is on a rookie deal for another 3 years. Boston would be a major free-agent player in 2020.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: Cleveland-Boston 

Post#2 » by Revenged25 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:24 pm

I wouldn't trade Sexton for Brown specifically because he's about to get maxed out. Also is Brown really that much better than Cedi, especially for the contracts both are likely to be getting coming up?
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#3 » by Mr Loggins » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:39 pm

i’d keep Sexton. I think he could be a 25 ppg guy, so would rather bet on that than take an about-to-be-paid Brown
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:51 pm

The jump that Fox made his second year would have me hold off until midseason. I also wouldn't mind seeing if Brown plays better without Kyrie, or whether Brown really did forget how to dribble.

Also, if Culver is gone at No.5, that means Hunter won't be and I'll be pretty pissed if we pass on him for Garland.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#5 » by DowJones » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:37 pm

I just don't think Hunter is anything special. I wish I liked him more.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:09 pm

DowJones wrote:I just don't think Hunter is anything special. I wish I liked him more.
Lol. That's how I feel about Garland. It's arguably true of everyone after Ja.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#7 » by DowJones » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
DowJones wrote:I just don't think Hunter is anything special. I wish I liked him more.

I’m not a massive fan of Garland either. I’m not a big fan of Culver. Hunter is going to be 22 towards the start of the season though. His upside is probably limited.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:09 am

DowJones wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I’m not a massive fan of Garland either. I’m not a big fan of Culver. Hunter is going to be 22 towards the start of the season though. His upside is probably limited.
Yeah, I agree with all of that. This class is pretty meh which is what the LOL was for.

I like Hunter because of his position and floor.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
DowJones
RealGM

Post#9 » by DowJones » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:15 am

Yeah, there is something to be said for going for a single in this draft. If he ends up being a 16-6-3 guy on 45-40-80 shooting with good defense then I guess that is better than the 5th pick in most drafts.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#10 » by Hoops23 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:20 am

Is Garland better than Sexton?

Brown will be a free agent next yr and will command big money then.
If I were Cleveland, I wont touch this deal. I’ll take my chances with either culver or hunter than brown. Garland is over rated.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#11 » by Revenged25 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 am

DowJones wrote:Yeah, there is something to be said for going for a single in this draft. If he ends up being a 16-6-3 guy on 45-40-80 shooting with good defense then I guess that is better than the 5th pick in most drafts.

Honestly I think this is the perfect draft to go for the Home Run. Pick a player with amazing upside. If it doesn't work out, well it was a weak draft anyways so you're only missing out on a bench player anyways, but if you hit big... at #5 I want Reddish or Sekou. Reddish has all the skills needed to be an elite player just didn't show it for whatever reason, and Sekou hasn't played basketball for long so his upside is ridiculous as well.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,223

Post#12 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:25 am

I have Sexton with more value here, but Boston has a slew of picks with different values where they could make it even. Brown and 20 seems close.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#13 » by brackdan70 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:30 am

DowJones wrote:This is assuming a few things---

1. Boston knows Kyrie is gone
2. Culver is taken with the 4th pick

Cleveland Trades
-Collin Sexton

Boston Trades
-Jaylen Brown

Why for Cleveland
-By trading Sexton, Cleveland would then be able to draft Garland at 5 and pair him with Brown, a more proven wing.

Why for Boston
-Roster balance and finances. Right now Boston has Tatum-Brown-Hayward to play the 2 and the 3. Marcus Smart is also more of a 2 than a 1. Assuming Kyrie leaves, a hole opens up at the 1 for the Celtics. Sexton was a very promising rookie that averaged 17-3-3 with shooting averages of 43-40-84. This deal also helps Boston out financially as Boston is probably a year away from having to match a max-contract offer for Brown. Sexton is on a rookie deal for another 3 years. Boston would be a major free-agent player in 2020.

Hell no from this Boston fan.

Cs like Brown if you haven’t noticed. The deal is for value wise but I see a hard pass from the Cs.
Sign here
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#14 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:07 am

If Culver goes top-4; take White and have a backcourt that can get to the rim at will.

Alternatively, Bruno Fernando, Sekou Doumbouya, and Rui Hachimura are guys who I can see slotted 5-15 that I think will perform at a #5 pick level.

I don’t like the idea of trading the Cavs best player for the right to immediately pay a fundamentally inefficient player has consistency issues and hasn’t lived up to expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#15 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:22 am

brackdan70 wrote:Cs like Brown if you haven’t noticed. The deal is for value wise but I see a hard pass from the Cs.

Very curious why?
Hasn’t cracked a 15PER
Is woefully inconsistent as a shooter...
Team has a better +/- when he’s on bench
And the Celts passed on Hield and Murray to draft him..

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
nickgammon
Pro Prospect
And1: 873

Post#16 » by nickgammon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:39 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Cs like Brown if you haven’t noticed. The deal is for value wise but I see a hard pass from the Cs.

Very curious why?
Hasn’t cracked a 15PER

If you watch the games, you know why.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:06 am

KuruptedCav wrote:If Culver goes top-4; take White and have a backcourt that can get to the rim at will.

Alternatively, Bruno Fernando, Sekou Doumbouya, and Rui Hachimura are guys who I can see slotted 5-15 that I think will perform at a #5 pick level.

I don’t like the idea of trading the Cavs best player for the right to immediately pay a fundamentally inefficient player has consistency issues and hasn’t lived up to expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
If Culver goes at No. 4, and the Cavs pass on Hunter, I'll be pissed. How many years in a row has the Finals MVP played SF?

cbosh4mvp wrote:
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#18 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 am

KuruptedCav wrote:

Very curious why?
Hasn’t cracked a 15PER

Cant we say the exact same [if not significantly worse] about Collin Sexton? And that Cleveland passed on SGA to draft him?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#19 » by brackdan70 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:44 am

KuruptedCav wrote:

Very curious why?
Hasn’t cracked a 15PER

Jaylen had a very solid 2017/18. He struggled to begin this year but after the first 2 months he was really good.

He has been really good in the last 2 playoffs as well.
Woefully inconsistent shooter?
Sign here
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:28 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

Very curious why?
Hasn’t cracked a 15PER

Cant we say the exact same [if not significantly worse] about Collin Sexton? And that Cleveland passed on SGA to draft him?
Sexton was a 19 year old rookie.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Trades and Transactions