[Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#81 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:06 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:Trade 4 to Atlanta for 8 and 11.

10*

the problem with that is Pels would then have potentially 3 players that would require max extensions at the same exact time, it's a rub
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#82 » by karkinos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:06 am

let's be real, pels are not that good at drafting.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#83 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:08 am

karkinos wrote:let's be real, pels are not that good at drafting.

u know it's not Demps anymore running the show right?
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#84 » by Pantsman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:09 am

They don’t have demps anymore..
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#85 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:09 am

Please someone take Coby White at 4 to save the Suns.
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#86 » by karkinos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:10 am

clyde21 wrote:

statistically speaking what are the chances of someone correctly picking 2 additional first rounders requiring max contracts from the same draft?
you could be jerry west for all i care. statement still stands.
PrinceH
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#87 » by PrinceH » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:12 am

I'm excited for this Pelicans team, just need a vet centre, if I'm the GM i'm packaging this in a deal for Marc Gasol and resign Jahlil Okafor he played well as a backup
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#88 » by karkinos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:13 am

PrinceH wrote:I'm excited for this Pelicans team, just need a vet centre, if I'm the GM i'm packaging this in a deal for Marc Gasol and resign Jahlil Okafor he played well as a backup

if it were 2015 this might be a good idea.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#89 » by spikeslovechild » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:14 am

Griffin never seemed to be a guy who values picks. This trade could get real ugly fast if he starts trading for veterans.
NekiEcko
Bench Warmer
And1: 336

Post#90 » by NekiEcko » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:14 am

clyde21 wrote:
NekiEcko wrote:I don't think that trade up for the Hawks would be beneficial at all, besides I don't see anybody in this draft is enough to trade up to 4 and we would want something else.

supposedly Hawks really want Reddish, so they might have to

Right now, I don't think that Reddish is going to be that high beside if Reddish, Culter and Hunter is gone then we go after Sekou or get more assets.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#91 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:15 am

PrinceH wrote:I'm excited for this Pelicans team, just need a vet centre, if I'm the GM i'm packaging this in a deal for Marc Gasol and resign Jahlil Okafor he played well as a backup

First of all, why would the champions trade away their starting center? Second of all, and more importantly, why would the rebuilding Pels trade a high lottery pick for a 34 declining center :banghead:
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,762

Post#92 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:23 am

clyde21 wrote:
10* the problem with that is Pels would then have potentially 3 players that would require max extensions at the same exact time, it's a rub

By my rough count, maybe 3 out of 22 players drafted 8 and 10 in the last 12 years have come close to earning max extensions. That's about 1 in 7, so the chances they'd need to give two of those out is 1 in 14...so probably not enough of a thing to not shift your franchise future for. (Those picks are much more likely to be busts or gone by the end of their rook deals than they are to be extended, let alone max extended.)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#93 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:25 am

HotelVitale wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
10* the problem with that is Pels would then have potentially 3 players that would require max extensions at the same exact time, it's a rub

By my rough count, maybe 3 out of 22 players drafted 8 and 10 in the last 12 years have come close to earning max extensions. That's about 1 in 7, so the chances they'd need to give two of those out is 1 in 14...so probably not enough of a thing to not shift your franchise future for. (More than twice that number were total busts, fwiw).

yes, but you dont really think that way...if you don't think those two extra players you're getting are gonna be good, why even make the trade in the first place? in that case just stay put at #4. :-?
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#94 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:32 am

clyde21 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
clyde21 wrote: 10* the problem with that is Pels would then have potentially 3 players that would require max extensions at the same exact time, it's a rub
By my rough count, maybe 3 out of 22 players drafted 8 and 10 in the last 12 years have come close to earning max extensions. That's about 1 in 7, so the chances they'd need to give two of those out is 1 in 14...so probably not enough of a thing to not shift your franchise future for. (More than twice that number were total busts, fwiw).
yes, but you dont really think that way...if you don't think those two extra players you're getting are gonna be good, why even make the trade in the first place? in that case just stay put at #4. :-?

GMs aren't stupid, they're aware of the risks and probabilities around draft picks. They're pros so they do their homework and then cross their fingers things turn out well, and don't delude themselves into thinking every pick they're making is a steal. You make a trade like that because the chances of getting something useful if not great are better with two top-ten picks than with one top-5 pick. Especially one in a draft that they don't love anyone outside the top-3 in.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#95 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:34 am

HotelVitale wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: By my rough count, maybe 3 out of 22 players drafted 8 and 10 in the last 12 years have come close to earning max extensions. That's about 1 in 7, so the chances they'd need to give two of those out is 1 in 14...so probably not enough of a thing to not shift your franchise future for. (More than twice that number were total busts, fwiw).

GMs aren't stupid, they're aware of the risks and probabilities around draft picks. They're pros so they do their homework and then cross their fingers things turn out well, and don't delude themselves into thinking every pick they're making is a steal. You make a trade like that because the chances of getting something useful if not great are better with two top-ten picks than with one top-5 pick. Especially one in a draft that they don't love anyone outside the top-3 in.

i know they know the risks, but they also trust their abilities to get the right guys...ain't nobody trading #4 for 8/10 because 'it's okay, they'll probably bust anyways'. that's not the mindset you have, and if it is, you might as well just keep #4 because your chances of getting the guy you want are higher in that case anyways.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,219

Post#96 » by Dan Z » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:40 am

Madhouse wrote:if they can get Beal, do it

I don't think the Wizards will trade Beal, but Ingram, Lonzo, Solomon Hill and the #4 works in the trade machine. I might offer that if I'm the Pelicans, but I'll admit...I'm not as big on Ingram and Ball as some people.

A Jrue Holiday/Bradley Beal backcourt would be quite good. I think this would also leave the Pelicans with some money to fill out the rest of the roster.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#97 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 am

clyde21 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: GMs aren't stupid, they're aware of the risks and probabilities around draft picks. They're pros so they do their homework and then cross their fingers things turn out well, and don't delude themselves into thinking every pick they're making is a steal. You make a trade like that because the chances of getting something useful if not great are better with two top-ten picks than with one top-5 pick. Especially one in a draft that they don't love anyone outside the top-3 in.
i know they know the risks, but they also trust their abilities to get the right guys...ain't nobody trading #4 for 8/10 because 'it's okay, they'll probably bust anyways'. that's not the mindset you have, and if it is, you might as well just keep #4 because your chances of getting the guy you want are higher in that case anyways.

Slow down there, huge difference between assuming every pick will bust and not blocking a major franchise decision because you're expecting a very unlikely thing to happen. Front offices trust in their scouting staffs and are hopeful about their picks, sure, but that doesn't mean they turn off all of their critical self awareness. There's no contradiction at all in being excited about the guy you're choosing while also realizing that it's really f'in hard to be a difference maker in the NBA, and that whoever you take at #10 isn't likely to become that. You get excited about the potential and you try to give yourself the best chance at getting the best prospects, but you don't pencil them all in as stars. You're going to be pretty awful at team building if you do that.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#98 » by LKN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:54 am

karkinos wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

statistically speaking what are the chances of someone correctly picking 2 additional first rounders requiring max contracts from the same draft?
you could be jerry west for all i care. statement still stands.

Also that seems like a good problem to have if it happens no?
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#99 » by LKN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:55 am

clyde21 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
clyde21 wrote: 10* the problem with that is Pels would then have potentially 3 players that would require max extensions at the same exact time, it's a rub

Because this draft is a crap shoot anyways.... why not get more chances to hit?

I mean I know you are real high on Bol right? I'm guessing they could get him later on and then still be able to take a shot on someone else.
Noctilux
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,236

Post#100 » by Noctilux » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:03 am

Dupp wrote:Beal worth much more than 4 imo

I wouldn't trade Beal for #2, never mind #4.

Return to The General Board