D Russell - FA Value

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Re: D Russell - FA Value 

Post#21 » by Guzman_9 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:39 am

drchaos wrote:If multiple teams want to give DLO the max, what is the best the Nets could do in a S&T?

Mcdermott. :nod:
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:42 am

drchaos wrote:If multiple teams want to give DLO the max, what is the best the Nets could do in a S&T?

Hard to say. It doesn't matter at all if multiple teams want to give D'Lo the max; Brooklyn doesn't totally control the situation. It only matters if the team D'Lo wants to go to is in a position to not be able to give him the max (say, Minnesota). The control Brooklyn has keeps them in a tough spot in that they can only match, or not match, an offer sheet if D'Lo signs one. At that point, no S&T can be constructed. So, yes, they can control it by matching D'Lo, but that means that they take on his full max salary at the point of matching, and cannot trade him for one full year from when they match without D'Lo's approval, and they cannot trade him at all to whomever signed D'Lo to the offer sheet.

So, it's hard to say. I think you'd be looking at maybe a future 1st? Maybe a 2nd or two? Unless you were willing to take back salary, at which point the value would increase, but that would decrease your cap space. And if you had any real interest in keeping him, you wouldn't be convinced to S&T him, you'd just match him. It's a weird spot.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#23 » by drchaos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:00 am

Clearly an offer sheet could throw a wrench in the works but I am talking about a sign and trade. If DLO is on board with it he does n't sign an offer sheet at all.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 am

drchaos wrote:Clearly an offer sheet could throw a wrench in the works but I am talking about a sign and trade. If DLO is on board with it he does n't sign an offer sheet at all.

And that only makes sense if the one team he wants to go to doesn't have the cap space (like a Minnesota). If the team he does want to go to has the cap space, then I don't know why he'd hurt his team he'd be planning on playing with for 4 years and weaken them by forcing a S&T.
Diamondman07
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#25 » by Diamondman07 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:02 am

Maybe Boston would be interested in Russell? Would help them sign another FA to pair with Irving if they each S&T swap their PG’s, just wonder what Boston would want to facilitate?
THREE Time Dunn Elementary Paper Air Plane launch champion

Return to Trades and Transactions