ImageImageImageImageImage

Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Re: Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#261 » by IceManBK1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:34 am

drchaos wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:how about a Dlo+Randle on Nets v.s their ex team Lakers Lebron+AD finals before Lebron retires...don't care if Lakers win. Would be great storyline.

Especially if the Nets could find a way to add Ingram and Randle.

DW+1st rder for Ingram? Randle can be signed as FA if he opts out of his PO. maybe draft KZ Okpala. His NBA comparison is Ingram.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#262 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:06 am

I'm not saying anyone on here has done this, but I've seen on the other site how much people are resisting Kyrie potentially joining the Nets and it boggles my mind. Put aside Kyrie's talent level for a second and think about what just happened.

The reason why Ainge doesn't offer a substantial package for AD is almost undoubtedly because he doesn't have any assurance that Kyrie will stay to help convince AD to remain in Boston for the long term. Kyrie's presence alone has already prevented a division rival from ascending even further.

Since NOP has agreed to deal AD to the Lakers, they still have a max salary slot open. There are a lot of star players who would jump at the opportunity to be the 3rd wheel on that Lakers squad. I fully expect either Kemba Walker or Jimmy Butler to go to LA now. But just imagine if Kyrie had (or is now having) second thoughts and decided to team up with LBJ. Not only would they be the prohibitive favorites to win the title next year, but the Nets would go back to being a team that, in spite of their fantastic culture and management, can never seem to finalize deals with any big time free agents.

I really hope Kyrie comes to the Nets, because as great as last season was as a fan, the circumstances that allowed us to go from being a probably lottery team to the 6th seed won't happen again.

Our expectations as fans will have changed. Instead of expecting to be in the lottery we will assume that we're going to be a playoff team.

Along with such assumptions come increased expectations of player improvement. Fans will complain more about individual players and their skillsets, because they will have had another offseason to work on their game, and if they haven't improved as much as we liked, we will recalibrate our assessment of their game and long-term expectations of their individual growth. If DLo or Levert don't improve as much as we'd have liked, the narrative goes from "He is only 23/24 and he's only going to get better" to "Are they starting to peak?" and "Should we have traded them when their value was high?"

I guarantee that if Kyrie didn't come to the Nets and we had the same team as last season heading into this next season, it won't be anywhere near as fun. We won't be the lovable hard working Nets who surprised everyone by getting into the playoffs. Now that we expect the playoffs, the surprising losses to bad teams will become more glaring and the flaws of our players and even coaching staff will be magnified. As hard as it was to go from being a bad team to a decent one, it's even harder to become a great team.

So when someone as talented as Kyrie comes along and says I want to join your team, a team that has NEVER signed a big time free agent, you better make sure you do the deal and add his talent to the ball club. There is no guarantee that any of our current players (DLo and Levert included) will become as good as he is.The idea that we can turn up our nose at talent because he doesn't exactly fit the mold of last year's team is ridiculous.

Last year's team is precisely that, last year's team. We're not getting back those same set of circumstances that allowed us to enjoy beating all expectations. Things will be different going forward. Having talent on your team gives you a greater chance to win. And when you continue to amass more talent, you continue to improve your chances at success. Adding Kyrie's talent to this team improves our chances of becoming a better team. I guarantee that when fans see Kyrie doing things on the court that only he and no other player on our roster is capable of doing, they will thank their lucky stars that he's on the team and quickly forget how much they resisted the prospect of adding him to this team.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#263 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:14 am

DarkXaero wrote:Looking at the Lakers cap situation, they may have room to sign a max, so I hope this move doesn't sway Kyrie to the Lakers.

I'm just waiting for all of those Nets fans on ND who don't/didn't want Kyrie at all to switch up their tune and start praying that he comes to the Nets and doesn't go to the Lakers, since they will now remember that talent wins in this league.

We don't have time to be picky. The NBA isn't a buffet. The elite players are rare commodities. You don't have to like them as a person, but you have to recognize their worth and how valuable they are to the mission of winning a NBA title.

This Raptors team was a perfect example of giving up the certainty of being just above average for the chance to be great. No one remembers above average teams; we only remember the great ones.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#264 » by Paradise » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:24 am

Interesting...

Read on Twitter
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#265 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:53 am

Paradise wrote:Interesting...

Read on Twitter

Not at all. Financially, we should be able to sign all 3 with minimal maneuvering.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#266 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:54 am

NyCeEvO wrote:I'm not saying anyone on here has done this, but I've seen on the other site how much people are resisting Kyrie potentially joining the Nets and it boggles my mind. Put aside Kyrie's talent level for a second and think about what just happened.

The reason why Ainge doesn't offer a substantial package for AD is almost undoubtedly because he doesn't have any assurance that Kyrie will stay to help convince AD to remain in Boston for the long term. Kyrie's presence alone has already prevented a division rival from ascending even further.

Since NOP has agreed to deal AD to the Lakers, they still have a max salary slot open. There are a lot of star players who would jump at the opportunity to be the 3rd wheel on that Lakers squad. I fully expect either Kemba Walker or Jimmy Butler to go to LA now. But just imagine if Kyrie had (or is now having) second thoughts and decided to team up with LBJ. Not only would they be the prohibitive favorites to win the title next year, but the Nets would go back to being a team that, in spite of their fantastic culture and management, can never seem to finalize deals with any big time free agents.

I really hope Kyrie comes to the Nets, because as great as last season was as a fan, the circumstances that allowed us to go from being a probably lottery team to the 6th seed won't happen again.

Our expectations as fans will have changed. Instead of expecting to be in the lottery we will assume that we're going to be a playoff team.

Along with such assumptions come increased expectations of player improvement. Fans will complain more about individual players and their skillsets, because they will have had another offseason to work on their game, and if they haven't improved as much as we liked, we will recalibrate our assessment of their game and long-term expectations of their individual growth. If DLo or Levert don't improve as much as we'd have liked, the narrative goes from "He is only 23/24 and he's only going to get better" to "Are they starting to peak?" and "Should we have traded them when their value was high?"

I guarantee that if Kyrie didn't come to the Nets and we had the same team as last season heading into this next season, it won't be anywhere near as fun. We won't be the lovable hard working Nets who surprised everyone by getting into the playoffs. Now that we expect the playoffs, the surprising losses to bad teams will become more glaring and the flaws of our players and even coaching staff will be magnified. As hard as it was to go from being a bad team to a decent one, it's even harder to become a great team.

So when someone as talented as Kyrie comes along and says I want to join your team, a team that has NEVER signed a big time free agent, you better make sure you do the deal and add his talent to the ball club. There is no guarantee that any of our current players (DLo and Levert included) will become as good as he is.The idea that we can turn up our nose at talent because he doesn't exactly fit the mold of last year's team is ridiculous.

Last year's team is precisely that, last year's team. We're not getting back those same set of circumstances that allowed us to enjoy beating all expectations. Things will be different going forward. Having talent on your team gives you a greater chance to win. And when you continue to amass more talent, you continue to improve your chances at success. Adding Kyrie's talent to this team improves our chances of becoming a better team. I guarantee that when fans see Kyrie doing things on the court that only he and no other player on our roster is capable of doing, they will thank their lucky stars that he's on the team and quickly forget how much they resisted the prospect of adding him to this team.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This was perfection and exactly what I've been thinking lately, especially reading the comments on the other site and Twitter.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#267 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:30 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:I'm not saying anyone on here has done this, but I've seen on the other site how much people are resisting Kyrie potentially joining the Nets and it boggles my mind. Put aside Kyrie's talent level for a second and think about what just happened.

This was perfection and exactly what I've been thinking lately, especially reading the comments on the other site and Twitter.

Think about this...

He is spurning Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown (the two biggest lottery draft picks the Nets gave to Boston) to come to Brooklyn...AND he's been trying to persuade Kevin F'ING Durant, who before this Finals was the reigning back-to-back Finals MVP and (for some) arguably the best player in the game, to join the team!!

He hasn't played a single game for the Nets, hasn't had an introductory press conference, or stepped foot in the practice facility, yet he's already been our biggest recruiting tool in team history. He's telling Kevin Durant to forget the lore of the Knicks and go to Brooklyn.

The poetic justice of this almost seems too surreal. And it stems from the fact that he is from New Jersey, grew up a Nets fan. He's literally one of us.

We just happened to have the right management group in place at the right time to make us a destination where you could be in a big market and be on a good team.

And you have people saying "Nah...I don't want any parts of him." Mindblowing...
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,053

Post#268 » by Netaman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:40 am

I'd have no issues with getting Kyrie, I would have issues with letting a 23 year old all star walk for nothing. I think that's what most of the fanbase is anxious about vis a vis Kyrie.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#269 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:14 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Think about this...

He is spurning Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown (the two biggest lottery draft picks the Nets gave to Boston) to come to Brooklyn...AND he's been trying to persuade Kevin F'ING Durant, who before this Finals was the reigning back-to-back Finals MVP and (for some) arguably the best player in the game, to join the team!!

He hasn't played a single game for the Nets, hasn't had an introductory press conference, or stepped foot in the practice facility, yet he's already been our biggest recruiting tool in team history. He's telling Kevin Durant to forget the lore of the Knicks and go to Brooklyn.

The poetic justice of this almost seems too surreal. And it stems from the fact that he is from New Jersey, grew up a Nets fan. He's literally one of us.

We just happened to have the right management group in place at the right time to make us a destination where you could be in a big market and be on a good team.

And you have people saying "Nah...I don't want any parts of him." Mindblowing...

Most don't want to lose DLo for Kyrie. It's not that they don't want Kyrie. I, and many others want both. Move Dinwiddie & use the remaining $26mil on the frontcourt.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#270 » by moonpie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 am

Read on Twitter
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#271 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:20 am

This Lakers trade was the best case for us because the Knicks look out of it.

Kyrie looks set in joining the Nets. And Knicks lost out on Davis. So who can they pair KD with?

Jimmy probably stays or goes to the LA. Kawhi stays or goes to the Clippers. Klay will stay.

That leaves no one for the Knicks. KD would be crazy to join the Knicks with absolutely no other all star.

And there is no free agent next year that he could realistically get.

If KD wants to move to NY he almost has to go to the Nets.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#272 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:27 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Think about this...

Most don't want to lose DLo for Kyrie. It's not that they don't want Kyrie. I, and many others want both. Move Dinwiddie & use the remaining $26mil on the frontcourt.

I guess I could've been a bit more clear. I am only talking about the contingent who don't want Kyrie here at all and/or prefer the Nets to continue their slow building around the current core that we have. That's why I referenced the other site because I see that much more over there than I do here.

In the same way that I mentioned that people have to put their personal liking/disliking of Kyrie aside when evaluating his usefulness for the Nets, the same has to be done for DLo. I am not DLo's biggest fan, but I am no idiot either. At the very least, DLo is an asset who could be traded at some point in the future, if management ultimately decides that they prefer another player over him.

Honestly, I don't even know why we continue to talk about DLo as if him walking is definitely going to happen. The only way he's let go is if the Nets acquire a superstar (i.e. Kawhi and possibly still KD) who demands and the max. Everyone else, Tobias Harris included isn't good enough for me to let DLo walk for nothing. If no tier 1 superstar wanted to come here, I hope Tobias would be true to his word and agree to take a few million less to play with a fantastic supporting cast in Kyrie, DLo, Levert, Allen, and Harris. (I think Dinwiddie is moved in the event that Kyrie signs with us.)
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#273 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:50 am

DarkXaero wrote:I would think that if we're getting Kyrie & re-signing D Lo, then surely Dinwiddie will get traded? Kyrie & D Lo on the same team already creates complications, you don't need a third PG who needs the ball to be effective. And I'm a fan of Dinwiddie, both as a player and a person, I would hate to see him leave, but there's no sense for him to be here in that scenario.

So in that case, we would have roughly $56 million in cap space, what kind of moves could we make?

I agree with you. Under the presumption thag the Nets sign kyrie to the max, resign Russell at or near the max, land no other guys considered big name free agents (lenoard, durant, bulter, tobias, vuvicic, etc.), and still have Dinwiddie on his current contract. 3 guards who are all most effective with the ball in their hands. Now don't get me wrong, I really like Dinwiddie a lot as he is obviously a good player and fits the culture that the front office and coaching staff has successfully implemented. However, I think there are better fits to join a kyrie-Russell backcourt (especially if the nets were to stagger the minutes at point guard between irving and russell, same as houston with paul and harden).
And my favorite one just happens to be a free agent...Patrick Beverley.

The work ethic and passion Beverly plays with perfectly embodies that same culture I previously mentioned. Also, I think he would fit the team like a glove has he doesn't need to ball in his hands constantly to be effective as he is just as good playing off the ball, is a great 3 point shooter (shot 39.7% on 3.6 attempts a game last season), and lastly (maybe most importantly) his defense is phenomenal. And that last point cannot be understated as the defense would need assistance as those aren't necessarily irving's or russell's strong suits.

With the rest of the of money, I'd like to bring in Paul Millsap on a bloated 1 year day and Ed Davis back. Davis to continue to do what he did last year. Millsap would be a great veteran and calming presence to have to aid in integrating the new guys like Irving and beverly. Also in my opinion, millsap would be a perfect one year gap to allow kurucs to continue to develop as kurucs would still getting solid playing time (Millsap only averaged about 28 minutes a game last season) and I'm sure millsap could teach him a few points to help refine kurucs's game. Full disclosure: I am a big fan of Kurucs's talent and think with the proper plan he could develop into an above average 4 at minimum. He also shot 36.5% from 3 point range last season which gives the nets a player than can function as a stretch 4 in the offense and has experience with Kenny atkinson's coaching style. Lastly, similar to beverly, millsap would be a welcome improvement on defense. Last season, "In the 2018-19 campaign, Millsap played 70 games and served as the team’s defensive anchor. When Millsap was on the floor, Denver had a 107.3 defensive rating, which would have ranked eighth in the league over the course of an entire season. When he sat, the defensive rating dropped to 111.9, which would have ranked 22nd in the league." (Source: https://www.nba.com/amp/nuggets/news/201819-season-review-paul-millsap-061419)

After that, between the new signings, training camp invites, and the draft, I don't think the Nets will need to bring in anyone else as they will have a strong 15 man roster along with a first rounder in every future draft:

PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: D'Angelo Russell
SF: Caris LeVert
PF: Paul Millsap
C: Jarret Allen

Backup PG: Patrick Beverley
Backup SG: Joe Harris
Backup SF: Taurean Prince
Backup PF: Rodions Kurucs
Backup C: Ed Davis

Last 5: Dzanan Musa, Jared Dudley (returns on a 1 year veteran minimum contract), #27 pick or #31 pick (I believe the other pick will be stashed overseas), Theo Pinson, Allan Williams
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#274 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:56 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:This Lakers trade was the best case for us because the Knicks look out of it.

Kyrie looks set in joining the Nets. And Knicks lost out on Davis. So who can they pair KD with?

Jimmy probably stays or goes to the LA. Kawhi stays or goes to the Clippers. Klay will stay.

That leaves no one for the Knicks. KD would be crazy to join the Knicks with absolutely no other all star.

And there is no free agent next year that he could realistically get.

If KD wants to move to NY he almost has to go to the Nets.

We are the Nets. I still don't count my chickens before they hatch.

Knowing our luck, Kyrie will have a "come to Jesus" moment in the next 24hrs and foregoes coming to the Nets in order to join LBJ and AD in LAL.

Then, since Butler can't go to LA, he decides to stay in PHI and take their 5-year max. If Philly is true to their word, they're also willing o max Tobias Harris as well. While I think Harris would prefer to get more touches, turning down a 5-year max contract while being on the only team to nearly knock off the current champs could prove to be too much to walk away from.

Klay stays in GSW and Durant has a choice of either staying in GSW or going to the Knicks who would roll over their cap space, leaving at least 1 spot open for AD to potentially join them in 2020.

We'd be left with the opportunity to overpay Kemba Walker. :D
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#275 » by IceManBK1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:57 am

Trade with Rockets would be good. Harris+DW(trade him for high teen pick)+Allen for Eric Gordon and Clint Capela. Gordon and Capela are upgrades over Joe Harris and Allen. Then Max Tobias Harris or Sign Julius Randle.
Dlo
Gordon
Prince
Harris or Randle
Capela

Vs

Irving
Kcp?
Lebron
Kuzma
Davis

Nba Finals

Read on Twitter
?s=20
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#276 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:40 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Think about this...

I get the possibility of losing DLo, but the entitlement and delusion levels are Knix fans level at this point lol.

It's fine to have one's own opinion of a specific player, but I'm sayin'...
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#277 » by therealbig3 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:07 pm

So honestly, does Kevin Durant's injury scare anyone?

Cuz it scares the hell out of me.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 403

Post#278 » by drchaos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:34 pm

therealbig3 wrote:So honestly, does Kevin Durant's injury scare anyone?

His injury and age both concern me.

I would be much happier with Kyrie plus either Capella / Randle or Kyrie plus Butler.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,840

Post#279 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Yes. People are acting like the dude tore his ACL or some **** and think that he'll be back to normal. An achilles injury is the worst thing that could have happened to him especially at age 31.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#280 » by therealbig3 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Yes. People are acting like the dude tore his ACL or some **** and think that he'll be back to normal. An achilles injury is the worst thing that could have happened to him especially at age 31.

His career is probably over at this point, no lie. I think it would be a disaster to sign him to a max deal.

Return to Brooklyn Nets