Pelicans / Rockets #4

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Pelicans / Rockets #4 

Post#1 » by ThatBoyNick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:34 am

Solomon Hill, #4

for

Clint Capela, 2020 and 2022 1st (unprotected)

For Pelicans - They boost their rebuild with a guaranteed talent in Clint who's young and locked up long term, add a couple of future picks to help balance value

For Rockets - They get a more tradeable asset to chase a star with
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Re: Pelicans / Rockets #4 

Post#2 » by Crives » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:44 am

Rockets need to keep capela for AD now.
letsgorockets
Rookie
And1: 595

Post#3 » by letsgorockets » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:47 am

Hell naw, Solomon Hill is a filler contact at best and the #4 isn't much good in a 3 player draft as an asset (if you really believe in Barrett). Plus give up 2 1sts?! Can't go with you on this one. What star does Solomon Hill/#4 help us land? What impact player are we getting at #4 that's gonna make us more likely to win a title as a rookie? Or is this the 1st step in a tear down? Who is replacing Capela's production for the MLE?

Sent from my SM-G920T using RealGM mobile app
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:57 am

letsgorockets wrote:Hell naw, Solomon Hill is a filler contact at best and the #4 isn't much good in a 3 player draft as an asset (if you really believe in Barrett). ]

I mean, that's all anybody is ever describing him or using him as. He's here just to make the trade work, and give a little value for NO by clearing his contract.

I actually kind of like it both ways, though. If Houston is looking to revamp, I actually think that 4/expiring filler is easier to find a deal for elsewhere than Capela is, simply because of fit. Teams could pick whomever they want at 4, or re flip it, but Capela is what he is and has limited spots he fits in at due to his limited shooting.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:00 am

letsgorockets wrote:Hell naw, Solomon Hill is a filler contact at best and the #4 isn't much good in a 3 player draft as an asset (if you really believe in Barrett). Plus give up 2 1sts?! Can't go with you on this one. What star does Solomon Hill/#4 help us land? What impact player are we getting at #4 that's gonna make us more likely to win a title as a rookie? Or is this the 1st step in a tear down? Who is replacing Capela's production for the MLE?

I think you guys would ultimately flip 4.

I'd probably drop one of the 1sts if possible though I don't know if NOP will still do it or not. Capela+2020 unprotected 1st (or reverse protections)+2nd round pick for 4+Hill and then see what you can get for #4.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#6 » by Hoops23 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:29 am

If the Rockets wants to compete now, they better keep Capela.
letsgorockets
Rookie

Post#7 » by letsgorockets » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:30 am

VCfor3 wrote:
letsgorockets wrote:Hell naw, Solomon Hill is a filler contact at best and the #4 isn't much good in a 3 player draft as an asset (if you really believe in Barrett). Plus give up 2 1sts?! Can't go with you on this one. What star does Solomon Hill/#4 help us land? What impact player are we getting at #4 that's gonna make us more likely to win a title as a rookie? Or is this the 1st step in a tear down? Who is replacing Capela's production for the MLE?

I'd probably drop one of the 1sts if possible though I don't know if NOP will still do it or not. Capela+2020 unprotected 1st (or reverse protections)+2nd round pick for 4+Hill and then see what you can get for #4.
Scoot McGroot wrote:
letsgorockets wrote:Hell naw, Solomon Hill is a filler contact at best and the #4 isn't much good in a 3 player draft as an asset (if you really believe in Barrett). ]

I mean, that's all anybody is ever describing him or using him as. He's here just to make the trade work, and give a little value for NO by clearing his contract.

I actually kind of like it both ways, though. If Houston is looking to revamp, I actually think that 4/expiring filler is easier to find a deal for elsewhere than Capela is, simply because of fit. Teams could pick whomever they want at 4, or re flip it, but Capela is what he is and has limited spots he fits in at due to his limited shooting.
And the #4 nets us who exactly? AD has been traded, any other player of note is a free agent who likely already knows where he wants to go. Seriously, tell me who the #4 helps us get, cause I don't see it. As for Capela, he's is limited offensive player whose a great rebounder, pretty good shot blocker, high effort player, who pantsed KAT and Gobert in the playoffs not long ago. He got played off the floor by the greatest team ever assembled, but goddamn what center hasn't? He's an incredibly vital piece of what Houston does against 28 other teams, maybe 29 now that Golden State is finally crumbling. To equivocate the value of Capela to some expiring schmuck is ridiculous, contract length be damned. The only way this trade makes any sense is if Houston has a flat out dump of CP3 for expirings and Houston is trying to get into the free agent market and needs pieces to entice a S&T. As a stand alone trade this is way off the mark.

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:40 am

letsgorockets wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Scoot McGroot wrote:

And the #4 nets us who exactly? AD has been traded, any other player of note is a free agent who likely already knows where he wants to go. Seriously, tell me who the #4 helps us get, cause I don't see it. As for Capela, he's is limited offensive player whose a great rebounder, pretty good shot blocker, high effort player, who pantsed KAT and Gobert in the playoffs not long ago. He got played off the floor by the greatest team ever assembled, but goddamn what center hasn't? He's an incredibly vital piece of what Houston does against 28 other teams, maybe 29 now that Golden State is finally crumbling. To equivocate the value of Capela to some expiring schmuck is ridiculous, contract length be damned. The only way this trade makes any sense is if Houston has a flat out dump of CP3 for expirings and Houston is trying to get into the free agent market and needs pieces to entice a S&T. As a stand alone trade this is way off the mark.

I'm not saying you're going to get a super duper star with the #4 and future picks. Just, if you're looking at making major moves as has been reported about Morey, Capela is your easiest tradeable piece to do so, and #4 is more easily repackaged to most teams than Capela is.

No one is saying Capela isn't a really, really good player. He is, and he's affordable. Just, very few teams value the center position right now, and there's a lot of really good centers out there to fill roles, some for very cheap. If Morey is happy running the roster back, or moving Gordon/Tucker for ancillary pieces, that's possible too. If he's looking at making a major move, this is one of those possibilities that makes the most sense, as they could package the 4 with a useful expiring in Gordon and Solo, and try and get back a better piece or two.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#9 » by ThatBoyNick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:05 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
letsgorockets wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I'm not saying you're going to get a super duper star with the #4 and future picks. Just, if you're looking at making major moves as has been reported about Morey, Capela is your easiest tradeable piece to do so, and #4 is more easily repackaged to most teams than Capela is.

No one is saying Capela isn't a really, really good player. He is, and he's affordable. Just, very few teams value the center position right now, and there's a lot of really good centers out there to fill roles, some for very cheap. If Morey is happy running the roster back, or moving Gordon/Tucker for ancillary pieces, that's possible too. If he's looking at making a major move, this is one of those possibilities that makes the most sense, as they could package the 4 with a useful expiring in Gordon and Solo, and try and get back a better piece or two.

I could see a deal with Philly for a OPT in and trade for Butler with the agreement we give him a 4 year max next year like Paul. #4 + Hill/Nene

Pehraps Wiz could be interested in 4+ Gordon/Hill for Beal.

S&T for Middleton?

I'd do the deal with one of those 3 players lined up if possible, then use our MLE on someone like Noel, Dedmon, McGee, Ed Davis or perhaps DJ if we are lucky enough.
Diamondman07
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#10 » by Diamondman07 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:15 am

Capela is as good as anyone at 4 in this draft... and adding extra first!?!? Bad deal for Rockets
THREE Time Dunn Elementary Paper Air Plane launch champion
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:26 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:I could see a deal with Philly for a OPT in and trade for Butler with the agreement we give him a 4 year max next year like Paul. #4 + Hill/Nene

I can't imagine Butler would be the guy to do that and give up $13m next year alone. If you remember, he was upset at Minnesota that they didn't clear enough space to get far enough under the cap to renegotiate his contract and give him a max for this year. Can't imagine he'd hold off another year.

ThatBoyNick wrote:Pehraps Wiz could be interested in 4+ Gordon/Hill for Beal.

S&T for Middleton?

I'd do the deal with one of those 3 players lined up if possible, then use our MLE on someone like Noel, Dedmon, McGee, Ed Davis or perhaps DJ if we are lucky enough.

But, yeah! Thinking like that!
letsgorockets
Rookie

Post#12 » by letsgorockets » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:29 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
letsgorockets wrote:

I could see a deal with Philly for a OPT in and trade for Butler with the agreement we give him a 4 year max next year like Paul. #4 + Hill/Nene

Pehraps Wiz could be interested in 4+ Gordon/Hill for Beal.

S&T for Middleton?

Butler already opted out. Middleton? No thanks, very good role player but not worth the contract he's about to get. Beal is worth taking about, but Gordon/Hill/the ability to draft one of Hunter/Garland/Culver probably isn't enough. Maybe if you add another 1st or two, which under your scenario means we essentially turn Capela/Gordon/3-4 1sts (2 in the N.O. deal, 1-2 in a hypothetical Beal deal) for Bradley Beal. Is that worth it? Some would say yes, but I'd be very on the fence about the value of such a series of deals, leaving toward slightly bad value.

LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,882

Post#13 » by LarsV8 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:53 am

Why in the world would Houston do this?!
ROXTXIA
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#14 » by ROXTXIA » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:01 am

As a Rockets fan, sure, who wouldn’t love the fourth pick in the draft. But we’re already a small team. There’s no magic solution at #4 for a pivot; anyway, we’d likely be after a 3.

Find a team willing to trade a center into a deal for the Rockets, sure. It isn’t always going to be the no-true-center Warriors in our way. Especially now.

Return to Trades and Transactions