Where do the Celtics go from here?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Re: Where do the Celtics go from here? 

Post#101 » by LakersSoul » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:41 am

Throwback24 wrote:
Dupp wrote:Hopefully Kyrie signs with the nets and then things have come full circle. Celtics do nothing with all these assets and their star leave for the team they burnt. Poetic.

They passed up on:

PG
Butler
Kawhi (the most egregious and Celtic fans defended this loool)

Didn't offer enough for AD

I truly don't know where they go from here. They are the Raptors son.

Ainge was the greedy king hording all his assets trying for that perfect player, AD. This year, he panicked knowing his assets are running low and not sure if he should gamble with his prospects for his dream player, AD.

Boston will need to really push for Kyrie to return or get a top FA or end up looking to somewhat rebuild.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#102 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:54 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:I mean don’t they basically have the same team that was one home win away from making the finals in 2018 + Gordon Hayward?

That’s still a very good team don’t you think?

Plus now with Irving gone they can spend that money on some role players and they won’t have the drama they had this year

With a lead halfway through the fourth quarter.

That said, Horford is in the declining stage of his career, and people question how much the young guys will improve. I frankly don't see much point in debating all this until we see how Tatum, Brown et al. play next season.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#103 » by VinBaker6 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:I mean don’t they basically have the same team that was one home win away from making the finals in 2018 + Gordon Hayward?

Plus now with Irving gone they can spend that money on some role players and they won’t have the drama they had this year

That said, Horford is in the declining stage of his career, and people question how much the young guys will improve. I frankly don't see much point in debating all this until we see how Tatum, Brown et al. play next season.

The East was trash then. That same team gets swept this year.

S/O to TZ!
Lilseb93
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,097

Post#104 » by Lilseb93 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:47 am

Turn on the treadmill unless their young core gets a lot better.
Heat Culture :hug:
Kool_Name_Right
Senior
And1: 513

Post#105 » by Kool_Name_Right » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:58 am

Throwback24 wrote:
Dupp wrote:Hopefully Kyrie signs with the nets and then things have come full circle. Celtics do nothing with all these assets and their star leave for the team they burnt. Poetic.

They passed up on:

PG
Butler

PG wasn't possible as Hayward was the first priority that season (Hindsight is key here).

Jimmy Butler I don't think any Celtic fan lost sleep over turning down Butler over keeping Brown when chemistry was the biggest issue this season.

Kawhi, well no one's gonna defend this. I remember saying keep Brown and I'll eat crow, this is the only one we really should have went hard for.

AD was going to LA and it's been in the works for a year now, you don't give up assets just to see him walk next off-season.

If and when Kyrie leaves is when we will see how good of a GM Ainge is.

Every time I've doubted him he's made a major move so we shall see..

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
AssistRubio
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,269

Post#106 » by AssistRubio » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:59 am

I still don't understand why the Celtic fan base continues to think Danny Ainge is some amazing GM.

The guy has never accomplished anything without the help of Kevin McHale.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,404

Post#107 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:05 am

AssistRubio wrote:I still don't understand why the Celtic fan base continues to think Danny Ainge is some amazing GM.

You misspelled Biliy King.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Vayuputra
Senior
And1: 464

Post#108 » by Vayuputra » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:12 am

Danny Ainge is the Gollum of NBA Universe. I mean Lebron makes more moves in a 2 min breather at the end of the first half in a meaningless game in Phoenix in late January than this Chipotle munching goblin.
Playoffs (20p / 10r / 5 / 5) : Hakeem(11), Duncan(8), Kareem(4), Shaq/DRob/Ewing/Doc (3)
Playoffs (20p / 20r / 5 / 5) : Duncan(3), Kareem/Walton/Shaq/Ewing/Barkley (1)
Playoffs (30p / 20r / 5 / 5) : Duncan(2), Barkley(1)
AssistRubio
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,269

Post#109 » by AssistRubio » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:15 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
AssistRubio wrote:I still don't understand why the Celtic fan base continues to think Danny Ainge is some amazing GM.

You misspelled Biliy King.

McHale gave the Celtics a championship (almost 2) with the KG trade. A trade that never happens if McHale and Ainge weren't buddy-buddy.

Billy King gave them nothing more than a delusions of grandeur future.
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#110 » by Uncle Dennis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:17 am

The Celtics should be happy that they likely don't have to endure another year of Kyrie. They play so much better without him, and I'm sure the young players share that belief. They are in a good spot for a rebuild, and maybe to set themselves up for free agency in a few years. These are crucial development years for Brown and Tatum, clearly Ainge has a lot of belief in them.
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#111 » by Cyrusman122000 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:29 am

VinBaker6 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:

The East was trash then. That same team gets swept this year.

I wouldn’t go that far. They beat a very good Philly team that was red hot to end the year 4-1 and honestly should’ve beaten the Cavs, but yes they definitely would’ve lost to the bucks or raptors this season. Probably this philly team too although I’m more skeptical about that one since Boston always plays philly tough
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#112 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:33 am

mtron929 wrote:Also, the current Celtics have a major weakness with defensive rebounding. As they stand, Horford will play center and one of Tatum/Hayward/Brown will play PF. That will be one of the weakest frontcourt and get destroyed on the glass by every team that they play. Alternatively, you need to bench one of Tatum/Hayward/Brown and have a proper PF in the starting lineup. The problem is that none of those three would be happy not starting. I have yet to hear Celtics fans comment on this potential issue.

There's about a couple hundred pages of it in our forum
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
VCBC
Senior
And1: 1,114

Post#113 » by VCBC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:46 am

Danny, you just had a heart attack but it's time to get on the treadmill.

Enjoy...
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#114 » by HoopsterJones » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 am

Be patient and punt next season. They will not be able to acquire a difference maker in this offseason that will make them a contender anyways.

Honestly they need to consider their long term future and see if Tatum and Brown develop into stars.

Consider consolidating their 14, 20, 22 pick to move up if there is a player in their draft they feel can be a difference maker at a draft slot that can be obtained (maybe 10 with the Hawks, I don’t know if it’s enough for them to trade 8). Another option is trading down for more picks, some that may be in next year’s draft. Otherwise keep their picks and draft BPA with high upsides and hope for the best.

Horford and Hayward will not be around long term, and I don’t expect that either of them will net a asset of any worth in a trade given their salary, age, and in Hayward’s case his inconsistent play. Let their salary expire or hope they opt out (Horford might, Hayward would be stupid if he did).

Re-sign Rozier only if he is willing to accept a value contract. I personally would not go above $10m per year. If he signs an offer sheet that is palatable then match it.

Keep cap flexibility and fill in the rest of the roster as needed.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,288

Post#115 » by baldur » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:40 am

as long as bucks have giannis, raptors have kawhi and the 76ers have butler-embiid-simmons, they are not going anywhere.
regardless of how good they look, their main opponents are clearly better teams.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#116 » by TimRobbins » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:49 am

Celtics are going to another rebuild around Brown/Tatum.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,404

Post#117 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:10 am

VCBC wrote:Danny, you just had a heart attack but it's time to get on the treadmill.

Enjoy...

hoho way to work his heart attack into that wicked zinger.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#118 » by mtron929 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:26 am

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:
mtron929 wrote:Also, the current Celtics have a major weakness with defensive rebounding. As they stand, Horford will play center and one of Tatum/Hayward/Brown will play PF. That will be one of the weakest frontcourt and get destroyed on the glass by every team that they play. Alternatively, you need to bench one of Tatum/Hayward/Brown and have a proper PF in the starting lineup. The problem is that none of those three would be happy not starting. I have yet to hear Celtics fans comment on this potential issue.

There's about a couple hundred pages of it in our forum

I'm genuinely curious. What is the solution then? How would Hayward/(declining) Horford prevent the other team from getting thousands of offensive rebounds?
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#119 » by mtron929 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:29 am

Kool_Name_Right wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:

They passed up on:

PG
Butler

PG wasn't possible as Hayward was the first priority that season (Hindsight is key here).

Jimmy Butler I don't think any Celtic fan lost sleep over turning down Butler over keeping Brown when chemistry was the biggest issue this season.

Kawhi, well no one's gonna defend this. I remember saying keep Brown and I'll eat crow, this is the only one we really should have went hard for.

AD was going to LA and it's been in the works for a year now, you don't give up assets just to see him walk next off-season.

If and when Kyrie leaves is when we will see how good of a GM Ainge is.

Every time I've doubted him he's made a major move so we shall see..

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app

Basically, Kawhi was the big miss but that is a huge miss. I don't really count PG and Butler (or even Kyrie) as top 5 players so basically, in this Celtics run, Ainge had 2 top 5 players available for trade: Kawhi and AD. He passed on both and chose to get Kyrie (a non top 10 player). That will be his legacy for the 2014-2019 5 years Celtics stint (unless either of Tatum/Brown becomes a superstar, in which I will eat crow and admit that Ainge was correct to keep his assets).
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#120 » by Gooner » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:33 am

They should start appreciating their young players who have shown massive potential. Their FO and fans were salivating over Anthtony Davis who never wanted to play there, and he predictably ended up going to their biggest rival.

Return to The General Board