Lakers still nearly have cap for a full max (Kawhi, KD etc)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,591

Re: Lakers still nearly have cap for a full max (Kawhi, KD etc) 

Post#101 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:26 am

Wiretap says Kemba is the target. I think he's obviously the target, not because they choose him to be, but because they have a lack of choice. Kyrie seems all but decided on Brooklyn, Kawhi I think is either staying in Toronto or going to LAC, he's said he doesn't want to play with LBJ, and they can't afford to wait a year for Durant or Klay given LBJ's age and the fact that they've already punted a year. That leaves Kemba and Jimmy, and PG seems like a more pressing need. But Kemba's going to have to leave a supermax on the table. He's got a classic money-or-winning decision on his hands.
VCBC
Senior
And1: 1,114

Re: Lakers still have cap for a full max (Kawhi, KD etc) 

Post#102 » by VCBC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:13 am

Pointgod wrote:
VCBC wrote:Someone can't do math...

LBJ 37.5
Wagner 2
Kuzma 2
Bogna 1.6
AD 27
7 cap holds *900k
Deng 5
76.4mn

109-81.4=27.6mn

Hey genius. The AD trade is made after their free agent signing considering they have to wait 30 days until the # 4 pick is signed to trade him.
Psst, they could absord him into cap space right now...

As already clarified, they are going to wait to have close to max space and it has nothing to do with waiting to sign the #4.

Keep it classy
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 874

Post#103 » by MugzZo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:23 am

SFour wrote:
XTC wrote:Damn Kawhi to LA looking real!

Thanks for the championship Kawhi! Glad we won this year instead of facing this super team in LA LOOL!!!

you really think Kawhi is the type to join a superteam? I don't think so.
Kawhi killing super teams and creating his own is goat like activity!!
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,632

Post#104 » by Pointgod » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:24 am

VCBC wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
VCBC wrote:Someone can't do math...

LBJ 37.5
Wagner 2
Kuzma 2
Bogna 1.6
AD 27
7 cap holds *900k
Deng 5
76.4mn

109-81.4=27.6mn

Hey genius. The AD trade is made after their free agent signing considering they have to wait 30 days until the # 4 pick is signed to trade him.
Psst, they could absord him into cap space right now...

As already clarified, they are going to wait to have close to max space and it has nothing to do with waiting to sign the #4.

Keep it classy

I think you’re confused here. If the trade goes through now then the Lakers lose capspace. If they wait then they can sign a max free agent and trade for Davis so why the hell would they make the trade official now?
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#105 » by Saciid11 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:27 am

Jimmy Butler and adding high end role player like Patrick Beverley and Danny Green makes way more sense then giving max to Kemba or Kyrie ..
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 874

Post#106 » by MugzZo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:37 am

3 of brogdon, Reddick, and Beverley makes them easy title favorite imo. It would be interesting to see them go that route add Ariza like you said for a vet min..maybe Bullock the team would be hard to beat.
Up-And-Coming wrote:Kemba seems the most realistic and maybe Butler. If not I would want 2 to 3 of Brogdon, Reddick, Lopez, Beverly, Danny Green with that space. I think Ariza probably comes for the vet min or mle but I don’t know how washed he is
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,307

Post#107 » by nbafan38 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:38 am

KD makes no sense, why sign a star who will likely not play again with Lebron until Lebron is almost 36. Kawhi would be obviously the best option for them and the nightmare scenario for the league. Kemba or someone like that is most likely.
nbhadja
Sixth Man
And1: 1,148

Post#108 » by nbhadja » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:21 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
SFour wrote:
Biscayne Beast wrote:If I were them I would use that 32 Million to sign really good 3-4 role players instead of trying to be a top-heavy team.

ya they should learn from the Warriors....we know that AD is injury prone, so all it would take is for AD to get injured during the playoffs and they're done.

This is literally the first thing I said in my group chat. We know that the 3rd star always under performs with Lebron teams. Lebron is just to good to take the ball out of his hands in clutch time for a guy like Kemba. You have your 2 superstars, if I'm the Lakers id go after 3 guys to fill out my roster.

Marcus Morris
Patrick Beverley
JJ Reddick

Those 3 would be my main targets. Then hope that Rondo, Tyson or Javale, and Lance come back for cheap.

Bev/Rondo
Reddick/Lance
Lebron
Morris
AD/Tyson

This is a tougher team than Lebron, Kemba, AD and a bunch of vet min guys.

I agree. That line up is better than a big 3 Lakers lineup outside of Leonard. This is why I think the Lakers should avoid using the rest of the cap room on a max contract (after they make Leonard say no) and instead get a few good players with the rest of the cap space. The law of diminishing returns is very real. Maybe if KL says no I would go after Butler since he is a supreme defender and unlike offense where there is one ball on defense all 5 defenders defend so there is no such thing as too much defense. The big 3 model is overrated and unless the 3 players are supreme players (like LBJ, KL, AD) or 3 players with perfectly complementary skill sets especially all 2 way players (which is rare- an example would be say Lebron, AD, and Thompson or CP3) it is better to have a big 2 with depth. A big 3 looks good on paper, but it is almost always overrated and nowhere as good as it seems.

Kemba would be a great on offense, but his defense is trash and his offensive production would be subject to the law of diminishing returns anyways. He is not a max player imo bc of his poor defense, especially on this LA team because he would basically just be a glorified up spot up shooter on a max contract. Now if he was a good defender that would be different.
Dajadeed
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,643

Post#109 » by Dajadeed » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:24 am

Read on Twitter
BayArea408415
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Post#110 » by BayArea408415 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:49 am

It's just a hypothetical but if the Lakers signed Kawhi, they would have 3 top 5-6 players. Would RealGM have a melt down worse than when Durant signed with the Warriors? I doubt this happens but I'm curious.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Post#111 » by Edrees » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:59 am

SFour wrote:
Biscayne Beast wrote:If I were them I would use that 32 Million to sign really good 3-4 role players instead of trying to be a top-heavy team.

ya they should learn from the Warriors....we know that AD is injury prone, so all it would take is for AD to get injured during the playoffs and they're done.

Huh? If anything the warriors taught them to be top heavy. They still made the finals when their #1/#2 best player got injured.

If the Raptors lost either Kawhi or Siakam, they wouldn't have gotten out of the 2nd round no matter how good their depth was.
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#112 » by Uncle Dennis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:00 am

BayArea408415 wrote:It's just a hypothetical but if the Lakers signed Kawhi, they would have 3 top 5-6 players. Would RealGM have a melt down worse than when Durant signed with the Warriors? I doubt this happens but I'm curious.

I reckon RealGM would meltdown, yes.
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,280

Post#113 » by Kordic27 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:30 am

Does Klutch have any RFA clients? Wonder if la will be able to get many quality guys to sign in below value contracts given:
A) Lebron must have a horrible reputation as a loyal teammate.
B) the front office looks like the worst managed in all of pro sports
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,280

Post#114 » by Kordic27 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:32 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:Wiretap says Kemba is the target. I think he's obviously the target, not because they choose him to be, but because they have a lack of choice. Kyrie seems all but decided on Brooklyn, Kawhi I think is either staying in Toronto or going to LAC, he's said he doesn't want to play with LBJ, and they can't afford to wait a year for Durant or Klay given LBJ's age and the fact that they've already punted a year. That leaves Kemba and Jimmy, and PG seems like a more pressing need. But Kemba's going to have to leave a supermax on the table. He's got a classic money-or-winning decision on his hands.

It’s money or winning, but there’s an element of how do you want to win to it as well. Easy road vs hard road. The new hot girl or the girl you came with. Kemba seems like too quality a human to join the Lakers.
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,001

Post#115 » by Chandan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:33 am

Dajadeed wrote:
Read on Twitter

Reported for quoting damon Jones.
Dajadeed
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,643

Post#116 » by Dajadeed » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:36 am

Chandan wrote:
Dajadeed wrote:
Read on Twitter

Reported for quoting damon Jones.

:lol:
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,141

Post#117 » by marcush » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:37 am

Saciid11 wrote:Jimmy Butler and adding high end role player like Patrick Beverley and Danny Green makes way more sense then giving max to Kemba or Kyrie ..

They don’t have cap space for Butler plus Green or Bev
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,078

Post#118 » by Frank Dux » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:01 am

In theory that sounds like a great idea, but average contributors seem to want $10m-$20 million, and you're going to have to max borderline star guys like Middleton and D'lo. There's not a lot of value in 2nd-3rd tier guys.

Guys like Marcus Morris and Bojan Bogdanović seem like great fits, but they are going to want at least $15m a year. So instead of a superstar on a max, you're probably looking at two pretty good players.

Best bet is to go all in on Kawhi. If he passes, go after Butler, and then you should be able to fill out the roster with ring chasers.

Pretty much everybody gets paid in the NBA. Best use of your cap is bringing in a star.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#119 » by Dan Z » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:22 am

Saciid11 wrote:Jimmy Butler and adding high end role player like Patrick Beverley and Danny Green makes way more sense then giving max to Kemba or Kyrie ..

If they sign Butler they won't have money for Beverley or Green.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#120 » by Dan Z » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:24 am

Frank Dux wrote:

In theory that sounds like a great idea, but average contributors seem to want $10m-$20 million, and you're going to have to max borderline star guys like Middleton and D'lo. There's not a lot of value in 2nd-3rd tier guys.

Guys like Marcus Morris and Bojan Bogdanović seem like great fits, but they are going to want at least $15m a year. So instead of a superstar on a max, you're probably looking at two pretty good players.

Best bet is to go all in on Kawhi. If he passes, go after Butler, and then you should be able to fill out the roster with ring chasers.

Pretty much everybody gets paid in the NBA. Best use of your cap is bringing in a star.

What do you do if you miss out on Kemba, Butler, Kyrie and Kawhi?

Return to The General Board