ImageImageImageImageImage

Plan full rebuild

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Re: Plan full rebuild 

Post#141 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:12 am

Jose7 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:C-Mitch/Kornet
Pf-Vonleh/Ellenson
Sf-Knox/Dotson
Sg-RJ/Trier
Pg-DSJr/Mudiay

#55- pick,

Mudiay. Stop. PLEASE NO MAS
p

Hes cheap, young, Big and former lotto pick.

I wouldn’t give up on him
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#142 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:22 am

DrCoach wrote:
Jose7 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:C-Mitch/Kornet
Pf-Vonleh/Ellenson
Sf-Knox/Dotson
Sg-RJ/Trier
Pg-DSJr/Mudiay

#55- pick,

p

I would
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#143 » by nedleeds » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:55 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
Jose7 wrote:
p

I would

Nobody is giving up. He had a year to confirm what Denver knew. He's bad, maybe your 5th guard at a bench end. He was the worst defensive PG who actually played minutes last year.

For better or worse the Knicks are stuck with Smith now. Next year it better be he and Frank 35+ minutes every night.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#144 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:45 am

C-Mitch/Korn
Pf-Vonleh/Hezonja
Sf-Knox/Dotson
Sg-RJ/Trier
Pg-DSjr/FRank

Bench
Thomas
Mudiay
Ellenson
#55 Pick
Fa Center
Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Post#145 » by Zerostatic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 am

robillionaire wrote:Let’s say we don’t get KD or Kyrie and don’t waste our space to sign players like Kemba, Harris, Middleton etc

DSJ
RJ?
Frank
Knox
Mitch

Dotson and Trier off the bench

Use the cap space to sign 1 year reclamation projects or to absorb some bad contracts to obtain more draft picks, try to fill the rest of the roster with G Leaguers

Develop the young guys retain flexibility get more assets and tank again.
A full rebuild is a sensible approach but we cant let the cap space go to waste. Absorbing bad contracts to acquire more draft picks is a good use imo. Signing some of the 2nd tier free agents doesn’t have to be a bad idea. D’angelo Russell is only 23. Tobias Harris is pretty young too (age 26). Draft RJ Barret and that is a pretty sick 1-2-3 (though very crowded with Dennis Smith, Frank and Trier still on the roster but a trade could alleviate that.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#146 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:54 am

Zerostatic wrote:
robillionaire wrote:Let’s say we don’t get KD or Kyrie and don’t waste our space to sign players like Kemba, Harris, Middleton etc

DSJ
RJ?
Frank
Knox
Mitch

Use the cap space to sign 1 year reclamation projects or to absorb some bad contracts to obtain more draft picks, try to fill the rest of the roster with G Leaguers

A full rebuild is a sensible approach but we cant let the cap space go to waste. Absorbing bad contracts to acquire more draft picks is a good use imo. Signing some of the 2nd tier free agents doesn’t have to be a bad idea. D’angelo Russell is only 23. Tobias Harris is pretty young too (age 26). Draft RJ Barret and that is a pretty sick 1-2-3 (though very crowded with Dennis Smith, Frank and Trier still on the roster but a trade could alleviate that.

You don't spend 27 mil per season to have Russel come here and shoot 43%. I can just develop Smith or kept Mudiay if I were satisfied with 43%. Granted it's 36% from 3 its like maxing out Tim Hardaway Jr. Russell didn't really have as good a year as advertised which is why the Nets would be willing to let him go. Harris is like the worst player for the knicks to max out.

Again, the types of players I want to add are really the types that dont intend to play much. Mentors and cap for pick acquisitions. If anything I'd consider more reclamation projects on one yr deals
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#147 » by WargamesX » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Knicks have 69 mil

I would grab DLo in RFA and put him next to RJ to form a left handed backcourt with a mix of Frank and Dotson coming in to play D&3 at the SG position. Also, it would be interesting to experiment with RJ as the primary ball handler and Dotson and Frank as the backcourt of shooters to see if it could work. As attacking backcourts go DLo/RJ would have the potential to be one of the better ones and they are both under 25 years old. Cap math 69 - 27 = 42 Mil left

I would trade for one year of Whiteside but with an unprotected future 1st pick going to us from Miami. Cap math 42 - 27 = 15 mil left

I would trade DSJ to the Suns for Josh Jackson and both this year and next years 2nd round pick. Josh is 3 more Mil a year that DSJ but he still has pretty good upside. Cap math 15 - 3 = 12 Mil left

I would use the money left over to go after Marcu Morris on a 12/3 deal with the last year a team option. Cap math 12 - 12 = 0 mil left

Use the room exception on Elfrid Payton (or his equivalent) to be the backup PG just make it a team option. Cap math (5 mil room exception)

Media Knicksname the team the Bad News Knicks. Which is ok they are going to hate us regardless so **** it.

Roster
DLo/Payton/ Frank
RJ/Dotson/ Frank
Knox/Jackson/RJ
Morris/Knox/Jackson
Whiteside/Mitch/Morris

Allow Whiteside to expire and we look to add talent next years FA and Mitch gets one more year to improve as a Center or Maybe we use Whiteside's expiring to try and trade for Beal and move RJ to SF.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#148 » by Billy Goat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Zerostatic wrote:

DSJ
RJ?
Frank
Knox
Mitch

You need vets that play with a purpose to begin the rebuild. Danny Green is a free agent. He's a start. Deangelo Russell come on man...enough with the chuckers!!

Rolling out the ball and watching a Trier, Knox, Dennis Smith, Dotson slopfest, while Fizdale talks in circles isnt a rebuild. You dont begin a rebuild with shoot first everything else later young players. All those guys listed are exactly that. Coupled with a coach that doesnt seem to coach or enforce rules when players exhibit bad habits.

I thought the Marbury Francis glory years should have taught us this. Maybe I'm just the only one old enough to remember.
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#149 » by Billy Goat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:34 pm

If the Knicks dont land any Tier 1 guys- some (non- sexy)free agents that should be seriously looked out to field an at least NBA level competitive product:

Danny Green
TJ Mcconnell
Elf Payton
Darren Collison
Pat Beverly
Butler, obviously
lloydj
Rookie
And1: 97

Post#150 » by lloydj » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:01 pm

Knick Trade: 3rd pick, 55th

Pels Trade: 4th Pick, 39th Pick, 2020 second rounder and Ball

Knick Draft: 4th Hunter and 39th MAMADI
DIAKITE
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#151 » by Billy Goat » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:17 pm

lloydj wrote:Knick Trade: 3rd pick, 55th

Pels Trade: 4th Pick, 39th Pick, 2020 second rounder and Ball

Knick Draft: 4th Hunter and 39th MAMADI
DIAKITE

That would work.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#152 » by WargamesX » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:21 pm

WargamesX wrote:Knicks have 69 mil

I would grab DLo in RFA and put him next to RJ to form a left handed backcourt with a mix of Frank and Dotson coming in to play D&3 at the SG position. Also, it would be interesting to experiment with RJ as the primary ball handler and Dotson and Frank as the backcourt of shooters to see if it could work. As attacking backcourts go DLo/RJ would have the potential to be one of the better ones and they are both under 25 years old. Cap math 69 - 27 = 42 Mil left

I would trade for one year of Whiteside but with an unprotected future 1st pick going to us from Miami. Cap math 42 - 27 = 15 mil left

I would trade DSJ to the Suns for Josh Jackson and both this year and next years 2nd round pick. Josh is 3 more Mil a year that DSJ but he still has pretty good upside. Cap math 15 - 3 = 12 Mil left

I would use the money left over to go after Marcu Morris on a 12/3 deal with the last year a team option. Cap math 12 - 12 = 0 mil left

Use the room exception on Elfrid Payton (or his equivalent) to be the backup PG just make it a team option. Cap math (5 mil room exception)

Media Knicksname the team the Bad News Knicks. Which is ok they are going to hate us regardless so **** it.

Roster
DLo/Payton/ Frank
RJ/Dotson/ Frank
Knox/Jackson/RJ
Morris/Knox/Jackson
Whiteside/Mitch/Morris

Allow Whiteside to expire and we look to add talent next years FA and Mitch gets one more year to improve as a Center or Maybe we use Whiteside's expiring to try and trade for Beal and move RJ to SF.

Another Option would be to take Miami's pick #13 from this year to take Whiteside and go after either PJ Washington or Rui Hachimura to be the PF of the future. If PJ is still there at 13 that could be a great move. Rui is more flawed, but he can potentially improve. Plus the Knicks could still go after Marcus Morris with a 10/3 deal which is double what he makes now. It wouldn't change anything but add another young prospect this year.

Roster
DLo/Payton/ Frank
RJ/Dotson/ Frank
Knox/Jackson/RJ
Morris/PJ or Rui/Jackson
Whiteside/Mitch/Morris
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
louisorr
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,387

Post#153 » by louisorr » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:54 pm

WargamesX wrote:
WargamesX wrote:Knicks have 69 mil

Roster
DLo/Payton/ Frank
RJ/Dotson/ Frank
Knox/Jackson/RJ
Morris/Knox/Jackson
Whiteside/Mitch/Morris

Another Option would be to take Miami's pick #13 from this year to take Whiteside and go after either PJ Washington or Rui Hachimura to be the PF of the future. If PJ is still there at 13 that could be a great move. Rui is more flawed, but he can potentially improve. Plus the Knicks could still go after Marcus Morris with a 10/3 deal which is double what he makes now. It wouldn't change anything but add another young prospect this year.

Roster
DLo/Payton/ Frank
RJ/Dotson/ Frank
Knox/Jackson/RJ
Morris/PJ or Rui/Jackson
Whiteside/Mitch/Morris

or on this train of thought take Milsap off Denvers hands and Evan Turner off Portlands hands getting future firsts from both. either of those teams would love to free up money for their final push ,and from our perspective we get high character guys that ultimately won't win us many games and come off the books when we are ready to spend
offense
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#154 » by offense » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 pm

We should tank again.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#155 » by Wonderllama » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:49 pm

We had the worst record in the league and it is by the grace of God that we didn't get the 5th pick. Why subject ourselves to that again. It's NOT worth it.

Just sign good players and make a playoff run. Become a scrappy team that plays hard and overachieves. (ex. the Clippers) Only then will the Knicks image improve league-wide. When future stars reach FA, make them WANT to play for the Knicks to be that final piece.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#156 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:52 pm

offense wrote:We will tank again.

Ftfy.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#157 » by Billy Goat » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Wonderllama wrote:We had the worst record in the league and it is by the grace of God that we didn't get the 5th pick. Why subject ourselves to that again. It's NOT worth it.

Just sign good players and make a playoff run. Become a scrappy team that plays hard and overachieves. (ex. the Clippers) Only then will the Knicks image improve league-wide. When future stars reach FA, make them WANT to play for the Knicks to be that final piece.

Agreed. In order to attract talent there needs to be stability. Winning creates stability. I really hope the FO pursues some of these glue guys/vets who are available to come in and at least get things moving in the right direction.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,581

Post#158 » by mpharris36 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
offense wrote:We will tank again.

Ftfy.

after we have meeting with KD and KL this is the only other option.

take the space and get more picks. We need a list of 1-2 year bad contracts that we can take on for teams trying to be players in FA...so we can nab more picks.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#159 » by Cookies4Life » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Bring Vonleh back on a 3 year deal (3rd year team option) and consider resigning Mario as well to a similar type of deal. I don't think either of those guys would cost more than 5 to 7 million per year which isn't much especially with the salary cap going up in a few seasons.

Trier is already back for next season and if he continues to produce well and maybe show some semblance of passing the ball, I'd look into locking him up as well for a couple seasons at similar type of money as Vonleh and Mario. They should also monitor Dotson closely and see if he continues to improve and lock him up as well.

Those 4 guys- Vonleh/Trier/Mario/Dotson will probably cost around 20-22 million in total. They all have their flaws but I'd roll the dice on them and see if any of them take another step in their progression.

With the rest of the money, just go ascertain some bad contracts with picks and young players attached.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#160 » by Wonderllama » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:23 pm

People really think we're the next Sixers. Dolan is gonna Dolan. Can't wait for July

Return to New York Knicks