ImageImage

Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3)

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Re: Trade Conley 

Post#21 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:21 pm

As a Mavs fan, do either of these deals appeal to you all?

1.) http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y2kxx7gs
2.) http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y56l5uzk

If not, then let me know what else the Grizzlies would be looking for.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#22 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:42 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:As a Mavs fan, do either of these deals appeal to you all?

I think other teams will beat those deals. The problem for Dallas is that they are asset-poor after the KP trade. Free agency seems like their best bet moving forward though I'm not sure who they'll end up with (Boogie?).

Utah is supposedly the front runner per Shams:
Read on Twitter
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

I think other teams will beat those deals. The problem for Dallas is that they are asset-poor after the KP trade. Free agency seems like their best bet moving forward though I'm not sure who they'll end up with (Boogie?).

Read on Twitter

Yeah, the other stuff the Mavs can throw into the deal are #37 overall, other 2nd round picks, and a 2020 first round pick. Well that and the right to swap in 2022 and 2024 (I think, not 100% sure tbh).

But as a Mavs fan, throwing all of that in would be too much for Conley. I'd do #37 overall and 2020 first, with other 2nds, but the right to swap would be super tough.

Mavs do have a traded player exception that they can use, but that won't work for Conley. I'm thinking maybe for a guy like Batum though.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#24 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:17 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah, the other stuff the Mavs can throw into the deal are #37 overall, other 2nd round picks, and a 2020 first round pick. Well that and the right to swap in 2022 and 2024 (I think, not 100% sure tbh).

But as a Mavs fan, throwing all of that in would be too much for Conley. I'd do #37 overall and 2020 first, with other 2nds, but the right to swap would be super tough.

Mavs do have a traded player exception that they can use, but that won't work for Conley. I'm thinking maybe for a guy like Batum though.

Batum is too big for your TPE but I think you'd prefer a different guy anyway. More likely you guys use cap space on someone instead and lose your TPE. You also can't trade your 2020 1st since you owe your 2021 1st. Basically pick swaps and 2nds are what Dallas has to add to any potential deal unless you get really desperate and trade a 2025 1st (spoiler: you won't ha).
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#25 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:56 pm

"The Memphis Grizzlies reportedly discussed trading Conley to the Utah Jazz during the season. O’Connor reports that Memphis wanted either two first-round picks or a first rounder and a young player from Utah".

https://www.ibtimes.com/nba-rumors-will-bradley-beal-mike-conley-be-traded-wizards-need-big-offer-grizzlies-2801321
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Mark M
@iwasmmueller88

Shams reporting the Jazz are front runners for Conley and could swing a trade this week.

1:44 PM - Jun 17, 201

No Favors inclusion yet, draft trade with Utah currently only holding the 23rd pick ..
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Batum is too big for your TPE but I think you'd prefer a different guy anyway. More likely you guys use cap space on someone instead and lose your TPE. You also can't trade your 2020 1st since you owe your 2021 1st. Basically pick swaps and 2nds are what Dallas has to add to any potential deal unless you get really desperate and trade a 2025 1st (spoiler: you won't ha).

Does the 1.25x multiplier or whatever apply to trades with the TPE? Does it matter if the Mavs are under the cap or not? Obviously, they should use the TPE after signing players this offseason, but just wondering now that I'm thinking about it.

In whatever case, I'm hoping he Mavs can make a trade for JR Smith's contract, waive him, then use the stretch clause on the guaranteed portion of his deal. Maybe stretch clausing Courtney Lee is the fallback option, but I'd consider using the stretch on THJ tbh. That'd result in bigger savings, and I don't like his fit with the Mavs. At least not yet.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Mark M
@iwasmmueller88

Shams reporting the Jazz are front runners for Conley and could swing a trade this week.

1:44 PM - Jun 17, 201

No Favors inclusion yet, draft trade with Utah currently only holding the 23rd pick ..

Do you all want Favors? He's solid, but honestly, the Grizzlies should just take the most cap savings that they can right now, unless it comes at the cost of losing out on future picks and prospects.

My thinking is that they can get the pick and prospect, save against the cap, and then spend that money on a young FA or even RFA. I doubt MIL lets Brogdon walk, but someone should at least make it a tough decision for them.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#29 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:12 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Does the 1.25x multiplier or whatever apply to trades with the TPE? Does it matter if the Mavs are under the cap or not? Obviously, they should use the TPE after signing players this offseason, but just wondering now that I'm thinking about it.

In whatever case, I'm hoping he Mavs can make a trade for JR Smith's contract, waive him, then use the stretch clause on the guaranteed portion of his deal. Maybe stretch clausing Courtney Lee is the fallback option, but I'd consider using the stretch on THJ tbh. That'd result in bigger savings, and I don't like his fit with the Mavs. At least not yet.

So the way TPEs work is they can't be combined (with other TPEs or player salary) and the incoming player's salary must fit inside the TPE. You don't get to use the multiplier to get it to fit. Also, as soon as you use cap space whether in a trade or to sign a free agent you lose any TPEs you have. I want to clarify that cap space used in a trade means it falls outside the normal 125% limit (or whatever rule applies to the particular trade) and you are taking a player or portion of the deal into pure cap space aka the deal wouldn't work if you were capped out. You still get the Room Exception but that's it. As for using TPEs while under the cap, you can act like an above cap team and keep your TPEs and Mid Level Exception if you want. It just kinda depends where your team is cap wise and what they want to do as to which path forward is more useful.

Some of that may not be very clear so let me know if I need to do a better job explaining ha.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 934

Post#30 » by tleikheen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Favors plays behind Gobert because Gobert is the best defensive player in basketball but Favors shines when it counts ...the playoffs and if he was starting he'd be close to a 20/10 player and still just 27 y o Put him at Center next to JJJ and he'll excel . Jazz aren't pounding on any teams doors trying to trade Favors or Exum ,they value both players . Memphis would have 2 players joining their starting lineup if they let go of Conley to Jazz .
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

So the way TPEs work is they can't be combined (with other TPEs or player salary) and the incoming player's salary must fit inside the TPE. You don't get to use the multiplier to get it to fit. Also, as soon as you use cap space whether in a trade or to sign a free agent you lose any TPEs you have. I want to clarify that cap space used in a trade means it falls outside the normal 125% limit (or whatever rule applies to the particular trade) and you are taking a player or portion of the deal into pure cap space aka the deal wouldn't work if you were capped out. You still get the Room Exception but that's it. As for using TPEs while under the cap, you can act like an above cap team and keep your TPEs and Mid Level Exception if you want. It just kinda depends where your team is cap wise and what they want to do as to which path forward is more useful.

Some of that may not be very clear so let me know if I need to do a better job explaining ha.

I had to read the language in the CBA, tbh. It's kinda whack. A lot of exceptions. No real hard-and-fast rules. Apparently it's a misconception that you can't trade players with a TPE, but I think the few instances where you can do it just never really materialize.

Odds are the Mavs just renounce the TPE, lol. Lamar Odom-type of trades are kinda rare.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:08 pm

tleikheen wrote:Favors plays behind Gobert because Gobert is the best defensive player in basketball but Favors shines when it counts ...the playoffs and if he was starting he'd be close to a 20/10 player and still just 27 y o Put him at Center next to JJJ and he'll excel . Jazz aren't pounding on any teams doors trying to trade Favors or Exum ,they value both players . Memphis would have 2 players joining their starting lineup if they let go of Conley to Jazz .

Yeah, I like Favors, I just think it would be better to go with all the youth they can find, draft Ja Morant, tank this upcoming season, and take another decent player in 2020.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#33 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

I had to read the language in the CBA, tbh. It's kinda whack. A lot of exceptions. No real hard-and-fast rules. Apparently it's a misconception that you can't trade players with a TPE, but I think the few instances where you can do it just never really materialize.

Odds are the Mavs just renounce the TPE, lol. Lamar Odom-type of trades are kinda rare.

There also were some changes in the last CBA. But you can do trades that go down as separate trades so players can go into TPEs but it is all basically just one big trade.

You also can have both teams claim how they do the trade differently which is cool yet crazy. For instance, Memphis sent out both Garrett Temple and JaMychal Green for Avery Bradley. LAC counted the deal as Temple+Green for Bradley. MEM counted the deal as Green for Bradley (legal) and then Temple for a TPE (thus we now have an 8m TPE).
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#34 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Greg Sylvander
@Lefty_Leif

Makes sense considering the Jazz almost dealt Rubio and Crowder for Dragic at the deadline. Fell through at the last minute.....

Ricky Rubio would have been a great addition to the Heat as a pass-first point guard who would’ve been able to fully spread the ball around Miami’s many scorers.
Crowder would have also been a useful and versatile piece as he is known for great defense as well as his ability to stretch the floor.

https://heatnation.com/rumors/report-miami-heatutah-jazz-trade-ricky-rubio-jae-crowder-deadline/

Heat don't have the money to outright sign Rubio ... I'm thinking S&T with Heat for Contract/filler #13 ...

Utah trade - (Crowder, Rubio S&T, #23) receive (Conley)

Heat trade - (Contract filler #13) receive (Crowder, Rubio)

Memphis trade - (Conley) receive (Contract filler, #13, #23)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 pm

J. Michael
@ThisIsJMichael

Keldon Johnson (Kentucky) is a player #Pacers hoped to interview at predraft camp and work out. Neither happened, according to Player Personnel Director Ryan Carr. I’m told Johnson, who has gotten high marks from many during this process in my convos, won’t be on the board at 18

12:43 PM - Jun 17, 2019

Worked out for Minnesota 11, Heat 13, Detroit 15, Orlando 16.

Liking Johnson as a draft pick for Memphis, I'm excited that he worked out for teams that have either expressed interest in Conley or have need at PG (potential Rubio S&T from Utah).
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#36 » by SD2042 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:28 am

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

LA is off the list. No sooner did I make my post they gave up the kitchen sink for Davis. They have Kemba listed as their top FA priority, there's nothing left for trade ..

Ingram, Ball, Hart & 3 firsts, including the 4th pick.

Just the other day a rumor had Kemba taking less to win in Charlotte .. I would think for LA to give up all their assets, they must have some knowledge he would sign.

If I'm Kemba, I would leave Charlotte. Only two playoff appearances in his career. That's not enough for someone of his caliber. The move the Lakers made today will start the pendulum to swing in the west. I'm not going to say this Lakers team will become a major threat. Keep in mind, AD23 has his history of injuries and Hollywood James is on the wrong side of 33 now and has experience his first major injury. Who's to say what will happen to the Lakers once the team roster is finally shaped up.

I just saw the protection on the picks. If LA made this trade without knowing Kemba's intentions, move over Billy King .. I'm going to go out on a limb :D & state Walker to LA is a matter of when, not if.

2019 - #4
2021 - NO's pick, if top 8, if not, rolled over to unprotected in 2022
2023 - right to swap
2024 - unprotected

Kemba signed at 140 over 4yrs. Davis resigned next year is a Davis, Kemba core for risk protection on the picks owed. However, as you pointed out, Davis was injury prone in his youth more less with wear & tear in age ..

With Davis' agent telling Boston he'd be a definite rental & Durant going down to injury. LA were bidding against themselves. They should have stood firm or waited out the year if need be. As I alluded to above, they could have made smaller moves this year to contend & have Davis walk to their team next year without risking their future as far as 5yrs down the road.

This trade has massive potential to get real ugly for LA. They're potentially giving up 6 top 5 picks for a player that "would" walk to their team in a year.

I can't help to think the Lakers made that "sell your soul to the devil" kind of deal. They are in desperation mode with a small window with Hollywood James being on the wrong side of 33 now. He will be 34 in December when the season is a quarter underway. The window that the Lakers will have is at least two years. Three could be pushing it. It also depends on what will happen not just in the offseason, but in the near future for the Lakers franchise. It's too early for the media to jump the gun and say they lead the percentages of going to the finals when they only made one move, albeit a major move.

As for NOP, I say the Pels future looks great. They have pieces to play with and to build around Zion as he gains more experience during his career. With Ball, Ingram, and Hart by his side, the Pels get off to a fresh start towards rebuilding their roster. It's possible the 4th pick could or could not be utilize in a potential trade when the draft comes up on Thursday night. Either way, the Pels have a lot of leverage on their side for the remainder of their future.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#37 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:22 am

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

If I'm Kemba, I would leave Charlotte. Only two playoff appearances in his career. That's not enough for someone of his caliber. The move the Lakers made today will start the pendulum to swing in the west. I'm not going to say this Lakers team will become a major threat. Keep in mind, AD23 has his history of injuries and Hollywood James is on the wrong side of 33 now and has experience his first major injury. Who's to say what will happen to the Lakers once the team roster is finally shaped up.

I just saw the protection on the picks. If LA made this trade without knowing Kemba's intentions, move over Billy King .. I'm going to go out on a limb :D & state Walker to LA is a matter of when, not if.

2019 - #4
2023 - right to swap
2024 - unprotected

Kemba signed at 140 over 4yrs. Davis resigned next year is a Davis, Kemba core for risk protection on the picks owed. However, as you pointed out, Davis was injury prone in his youth more less with wear & tear in age ..

With Davis' agent telling Boston he'd be a definite rental & Durant going down to injury. LA were bidding against themselves. They should have stood firm or waited out the year if need be. As I alluded to above, they could have made smaller moves this year to contend & have Davis walk to their team next year without risking their future as far as 5yrs down the road.

This trade has massive potential to get real ugly for LA. They're potentially giving up 6 top 5 picks for a player that "would" walk to their team in a year.

I can't help to think the Lakers made that "sell your soul to the devil" kind of deal. They are in desperation mode with a small window with Hollywood James being on the wrong side of 33 now. He will be 34 in December when the season is a quarter underway. The window that the Lakers will have is at least two years. Three could be pushing it. It also depends on what will happen not just in the offseason, but in the near future for the Lakers franchise. It's too early for the media to jump the gun and say they lead the percentages of going to the finals when they only made one move, albeit a major move.

As for NOP, I say the Pels future looks great. They have pieces to play with and to build around Zion as he gains more experience during his career. With Ball, Ingram, and Hart by his side, the Pels get off to a fresh start towards rebuilding their roster. It's possible the 4th pick could or could not be utilize in a potential trade when the draft comes up on Thursday night. Either way, the Pels have a lot of leverage on their side for the remainder of their future.

"2yr window, 3 could be pushing it". 2019/20 - 2020/21 is why NO's GM completely owned LA in this deal. If not top 8 in 2021, unprotected pick in year 3, right to swap in year 4 wihtout their top pick in 2022, unprotected pick in year 5 after 2 yts without any top picks.

What happens if Davis does play the year out & decides he no longer wants to play with Lebron, especially if they fall short?
James went down to injury last yr, what happens if the iron man goes down again at 34 with all those minutes played?.

I would have risked yr 1 of the 2 yr window with more calculating moves & run the risk of upsetting Lebron who's under contract but then have the opportunity to sign Davis as a FA in yr 2 to a more complete/deep team, without giving up the future for a half decade. As an employer myself, I would never let any of my employees, no matter how indispensable they may seem, dictate the direction of my business even though I know it's different with sports where the employee is also the product. Mutual respect is good but just as players will inevitably do what is right for them in FA & with trade demands, so should an owner put his business first. Just be upfront & honest about it.

One of the reasons Davis was a no go to Boston was because they didn't like how Ainge handled IT after he played through injury & his sisters death for Boston only to get traded in injury, missing out on a pay day ..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:38 am

My Conley trades suggestions in order of pick.

Suns

Memphis trade - (Conley, (Rabb or Brooks)) for (TJ, Warren, #6)
Memphis trade - (Conley, K.Anderson) for (Warren, Jackson, #6)

Bulls

Memphis trade - (Conley, K.Anderson) for (Otto Porter, Felicio, #7)

Minnesota

Memphis trade - (Conley) for (Wiggins, #11, FRP 2022)
Memphis trade - (Conley) for (Teague, Dieng, #11)

Heat

Memphis trade - (Conley, K. Anderson) for (R. Anderson, JJ, Bam, #13)

Boston

Memphis trade - (Conley) for (Hayward, #20, #22) Flip Hayward to Cavs for (Smith, Clarkson)
Send (Smith partially guaranteed contract, #20) to Heat for (JJ, #13) if they attempt to get under the luxury tax.

Orlando

Memphis trade - (Conley, K. Anderson) for (Gordon, Mozgov, #16)

Utah

Memphis trade - (Conley) for (Favors, Rubio S&T, #23)
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#39 » by SD2042 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

2019 - #4
2023 - right to swap
2024 - unprotected

"2yr window, 3 could be pushing it". 2019/20 - 2020/21 is why NO's GM completely owned LA in this deal. If not top 8 in 2021, unprotected pick in year 3, right to swap in year 4 wihtout their top pick in 2022, unprotected pick in year 5 after 2 yts without any top picks.

What happens if Davis does play the year out & decides he no longer wants to play with Lebron, especially if they fall short?
James went down to injury last yr, what happens if the iron man goes down again at 34 with all those minutes played?.

I would have risked yr 1 of the 2 yr window with more calculating moves & run the risk of upsetting Lebron who's under contract but then have the opportunity to sign Davis as a FA in yr 2 to a more complete/deep team, without giving up the future for a half decade. As an employer myself, I would never let any of my employees, no matter how indispensable they may seem, dictate the direction of my business even though I know it's different with sports where the employee is also the product. Mutual respect is good but just as players will inevitably do what is right for them in FA & with trade demands, so should an owner put his business first. Just be upfront & honest about it.

One of the reasons Davis was a no go to Boston was because they didn't like how Ainge handled IT after he played through injury & his sisters death for Boston only to get traded in injury, missing out on a pay day ..

Solid point on that.

AD23 has been a great player for NOP during his time there. He did lead the Pels into the playoffs twice in his career. He managed to do this without a better cast around him. I do place blame on former GM Dell Demps and NOP for not surrounding him with a better cast. From that point, I can't blame him for asking for a trade. I do question whether L.A. was his personal choice or was it Klutch Sports forecasting the choice for AD23. Likely the latter from the way things played out.

I don't know if things will work out to L.A. satisfaction or not. IMO, I think he could been a better fit as a Nugget. At least they already have a solid cast on the roster. He fits the age bracket and style of play and he and The Joker could've made a strong dynamic duo in the west. It doesn't matter now, the deal has been made. Good luck to AD23.

As for Danny Ainge, I will say Ainge has proven to be one of the better GMs with the moves he has made within the last decade. He did prove it with the 2008 NBA title season when he acquire KG and Ray Allen together to team up with Paul Pierce. Over the years, I can't help to think that Ainge may have become a bit a collector who likes to collect assets for the sake of collect assets. I could be wrong here, but I can't help but wonder the thought. Some ppl feel that he screwed IT over three years ago due to his injury and sister's death. It was also due to that IT was going to get a max pay for how he preform for the Celtics. Ainge knew this and played the odds against paying players top dollar. The Grizzlies own Avery Bradley was shipped out of Boston ahead of his expiring contract. Bradley's value went down when he got to Detroit. He struggled in their system badly and as a result, he like IT didn't get the top dollar money they would've received had they both were re-signed in Boston.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#40 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 am

Woj said he thought Memphis could get two 1sts for Conley.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies