Official 2019 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Re: Official 2019 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread 

Post#561 » by SpeedyG » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:Suns are heating up their trade talks trying to get max space. I take that as they are hoping Russell hits the market.

I hope Marks can build something around Russell to PHX and #6 back to us. They get what they want, we get something back for Russell and clear more cap space for 2 max guys.

Only thing is we have to do the deal before the draft or just take whoever they draft at #6 because if Kyrie changes his mind after we do that deal we are burned hard and have to hope whoever we draft at #6 is as good as Russell.

I saw PHX has about 22M so $27 is D-Lo's max they need to lose about 5M to land him at the max.

Russell 27M + #27 (1.9M) for #6 (4M), Jackson (6M). That give the Nets 2 max slots for Kyrie and Butler/Tobias. 5M short of the KD max roughly. We get to try and salvage Jackson in the G-League but also get something valuable for Russell.

Seems like a win win to me. PHX now has Russell, Booker, Bridges, Warren, Ayton.

I thought we couldn't trade Dlo as is....

if we could, though I'm not advocating to move from DLO as I think he should be here, hell yea Dlo to PHX for their 6th..

but I thought we couldn't trade him per the rules.
We can't. He's a free agent.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#562 » by IceManBK1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:38 am

SpeedyG wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:Suns are heating up their trade talks trying to get max space. I take that as they are hoping Russell hits the market.

I hope Marks can build something around Russell to PHX and #6 back to us. They get what they want, we get something back for Russell and clear more cap space for 2 max guys.

Only thing is we have to do the deal before the draft or just take whoever they draft at #6 because if Kyrie changes his mind after we do that deal we are burned hard and have to hope whoever we draft at #6 is as good as Russell.

I saw PHX has about 22M so $27 is D-Lo's max they need to lose about 5M to land him at the max.

Russell 27M + #27 (1.9M) for #6 (4M), Jackson (6M). That give the Nets 2 max slots for Kyrie and Butler/Tobias. 5M short of the KD max roughly. We get to try and salvage Jackson in the G-League but also get something valuable for Russell.

Seems like a win win to me. PHX now has Russell, Booker, Bridges, Warren, Ayton.

I thought we couldn't trade Dlo as is....

if we could, though I'm not advocating to move from DLO as I think he should be here, hell yea Dlo to PHX for their 6th..

he would have to agree to the sign and trade...but let's hope not. rather see kyrie+dlo than dlo+booker even though they're bffs.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#563 » by SpeedyG » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:54 am

IceManBK1 wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:I thought we couldn't trade Dlo as is....

he would have to agree to the sign and trade...but let's hope not. rather see kyrie+dlo than dlo+booker even though they're bffs.

No we cannot trade him, at least not in the timeframe that was mentioned by Rockice (which is during draft).

We can sign and trade him during the FA period, but by then the draft is over and picks have been made. And he will need to agree to be sign and traded to whatever team.

It's a very unlikely scenario and doesn't benefit Russell whatsoever.

Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#564 » by MGrand15 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 am

I really feel for RHJ. If he was a FA last year, he would've gotten a really nice contract. I think he'll struggle to get anything substantial.

Hopefully he lands somewhere that believes in him. As much as I've given him flack for his shooting, decision making, and size - the guy is all heart. Gives 110%. You gotta be a real DOG to battle with centers when you're 6'7 220. His energy and defense will keep him around for a long time. If he can get his shooting and finishing back to the level it was last year, someone's gonna get a real steal.

RHJ will be missed.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,546

Post#565 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 am

I'm seriously hoping some team out there takes a chance on him. I don't think he's even remotely a finished product.

I really hate this. I knew it was coming but all of this stuff from about to lose Russell, to Dinwiddie basically broadcasting to the world that he's about to be traded, to Rondae being let go, it sucks. These guys are some of my favorite people to have ever worn a Nets uniform...I feel like the team's identity is going to change, and whether or not it will be for the better will be seen. But I trust Marks. so let it happen.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#566 » by GTR11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 am

Rockice_24 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Pick n Roll.. Ed Davis was pretty good in the pick n roll and had a good touch around the rim, he isn't much of a shooter or scorer but in the Nets system, they don't value centers scoring much. They like the Capela/ Gobert type centers.. all defense with points coming off putbacks and lob dunks with an occasional 3.

That's a huge issue I have with Kenny's system. I just hope we did it due to lack of talent Marks could provide. If anything, successful playoff teams do have capable bigs who can score and pass, those put back and defense first big teams usually out co.e semifinal. Houston couldn't play Capela and now looking to trade him, Gobert being questioned if he's a true max player because of his offensive deficiencies etc. The fact that teams big must be capable offensively to pass, make a 10-15ft and 3pt shot is just undeniable. Well unless you can go and get Curry and Klay.

I think you can make it work if your C is the only guy on the floor that can't shoot. The issue becomes if the C can't switch out on stretch PF's though. It wasn't offensively for Capela but defensively why they took him out. Pretty sure GS went small on them with Green at the 5 and they matched up. Very few teams can do what GS does.

You guys have way to much faith in Allen to become reliable player come next season. Let's not forget the fact he wasn't able to cover his man to begin with, we had our guards helping late in a season and vs 6's ( that's me being nice, guy was unplayable due to lack of strength and inability to pass or shoot ).
I'm not really sure what Markinson have in their plans and it's really hard to see which direction they going. FA class is pretty deep this year but we ain't the only one's who got money to spend. I'm just in wait and see mode right now and will go from there since it's the only way to see what direction they will take us.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#567 » by Prokorov » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:05 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:That's a huge issue I have with Kenny's system. I just hope we did it due to lack of talent Marks could provide. If anything, successful playoff teams do have capable bigs who can score and pass, those put back and defense first big teams usually out co.e semifinal. Houston couldn't play Capela and now looking to trade him, Gobert being questioned if he's a true max player because of his offensive deficiencies etc. The fact that teams big must be capable offensively to pass, make a 10-15ft and 3pt shot is just undeniable. Well unless you can go and get Curry and Klay.

I think you can make it work if your C is the only guy on the floor that can't shoot. The issue becomes if the C can't switch out on stretch PF's though. It wasn't offensively for Capela but defensively why they took him out. Pretty sure GS went small on them with Green at the 5 and they matched up. Very few teams can do what GS does.

You guys have way to much faith in Allen to become reliable player come next season. Let's not forget the fact he wasn't able to cover his man to begin with, we had our guards helping late in a season and vs 6's ( that's me being nice, guy was unplayable due to lack of strength and inability to pass or shoot ).
I'm not really sure what Markinson have in their plans and it's really hard to see which direction they going. FA class is pretty deep this year but we ain't the only one's who got money to spend. I'm just in wait and see mode right now and will go from there since it's the only way to see what direction they will take us.

Kenny is on record saying he thinks allen will be an elite center. I'd assume marks feels the same way as they ranked allen as the third best player in his draft. Allen is 20 and an above average starting center. his defensive issues are WAY overblown. keep in mind the nets dont value center scoring or post play and conceede that on the other end. they wont help on allen because they dont care about giving up post points. on a team that helped more, allens D would look alot better.

not being able to stop embiid should not be a critixism, Embiid scored 28 ppg on the league this year. he isnt someone you just slow or stop.

if they make a move, it would likely be for an allen clone who is further along like capella.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#568 » by GTR11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:

Kenny is on record saying he thinks allen will be an elite center. I'd assume marks feels the same way as they ranked allen as the third best player in his draft. Allen is 20 and an above average starting center. his defensive issues are WAY overblown. keep in mind the nets dont value center scoring or post play and conceede that on the other end. they wont help on allen because they dont care about giving up post points. on a team that helped more, allens D would look alot better.

not being able to stop embiid should not be a critixism, Embiid scored 28 ppg on the league this year. he isnt someone you just slow or stop.

if they make a move, it would likely be for an allen clone who is further along like capella.

Sorry Prok but philosophy that you keep preaching ain't really what was happening on the court. We literally got obliterated by Boban, Enas3, McGee, Bropez etc. You need to rewatch those games and refresh your memory how bad it was, I mean guy been benched for limping Dudley and out of the rotation RHJ. Im not trying to exaggerate it really got ugly planty of times. I have no doubt they still believe in Allen and Kenny is all about developing each and every player to his own fault.
It's really hard to tell what Markinson have in their plan. Kenny himself said he didn't believe talent level was good enough to make to the post season. That's why I'm not surprised to hear them say FA was one of their priorities going into this season instead of continuity and solid depth. To be honest nothing will surprise me one's everything is set and done. Yeah there's planty of click bait articles out there right now, however some of them go e you clue what may happen. I have no doubt they'll add versatile big like Robin Lopez maybe.
As of right now Clippers, Celtics ( assuming Al opts out ) and Knix look like biggest losers and most likely will look to fill their rosters with short term contracts. They also can absorb bad contracts from other teams or be trade partners if price is right. Me, I'm not sure what Marks and Kenny have planned and how it'll affect our system moving forward. I'm just watching at this point but having hard time believing Kenny ain't dying to expend his playbook, he didn't trust kids... mentioned that himself.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#569 » by GTR11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:52 pm

Not that I believed KD was coming over here but his injury changed entire dynamic of this FA. I have hard time buying to reports that teams will give him max all things considered, sorry have to see it to believe it.
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#570 » by Rockice_24 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:54 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:You guys have way to much faith in Allen to become reliable player come next season. Let's not forget the fact he wasn't able to cover his man to begin with, we had our guards helping late in a season and vs 6's ( that's me being nice, guy was unplayable due to lack of strength and inability to pass or shoot ).

Sorry Prok but philosophy that you keep preaching ain't really what was happening on the court. We literally got obliterated by Boban, Enas3, McGee, Bropez etc. You need to rewatch those games and refresh your memory how bad it was, I mean guy been benched for limping Dudley and out of the rotation RHJ. Im not trying to exaggerate it really got ugly planty of times. I have no doubt they still believe in Allen and Kenny is all about developing each and every player to his own fault.
It's really hard to tell what Markinson have in their plan. Kenny himself said he didn't believe talent level was good enough to make to the post season. That's why I'm not surprised to hear them say FA was one of their priorities going into this season instead of continuity and solid depth. To be honest nothing will surprise me one's everything is set and done. Yeah there's planty of click bait articles out there right now, however some of them go e you clue what may happen. I have no doubt they'll add versatile big like Robin Lopez maybe.
As of right now Clippers, Celtics ( assuming Al opts out ) and Knix look like biggest losers and most likely will look to fill their rosters with short term contracts. They also can absorb bad contracts from other teams or be trade partners if price is right. Me, I'm not sure what Marks and Kenny have planned and how it'll affect our system moving forward. I'm just watching at this point but having hard time believing Kenny ain't dying to expend his playbook, he didn't trust kids... mentioned that himself.

Guy is still useful but I agree with Prok you got to develop him still. He's 20. In another 1-2 years he'll have the strength to body up with these bigs. At the moment at least he protects the glass with his shot blocking and sets good screens on offense.

Kid needs weight we all get that.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,546

Post#571 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Jarrett Allen is 20 years old. He's not even old enough to drink but we're going to crucify him because he can't stop guys who outweight him by 20-30 pounds? the dude needs time to hit his grown man weight.

The onus is on the Nets front office to bring in another big man to help out depth wise. Allen needs time to mature physically, it would be basketball malpractice to give up on him right now. He has shown enough for us to know that he has all star potential when it comes together.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
GTR11
RealGM

Post#572 » by GTR11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Guy is still useful but I agree with Prok you got to develop him still. He's 20. In another 1-2 years he'll have the strength to body up with these bigs. At the moment at least he protects the glass with his shot blocking and sets good screens on offense.

In no way I'm trying to say we should get rid off him or send him to the bench. Allen was very solid during this past season and him being on rookie contract it's just plain dumb not to develop him. 82 games is a lot and load management is definitely a must for most players no matter their age. My point is that we should not be surprised or deny the fact that from now on we will have to expend our playbook and talent. This FA is a golden opportunity and a lot of things looking our way. As I said, I'm looking forward to some post game and passing from vet big who can also mentor Allen for our own good.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#573 » by GTR11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Jarrett Allen is 20 years old. He's not even old enough to drink but we're going to crucify him because he can't stop guys who outweight him by 20-30 pounds? the dude needs time to hit his grown man weight.

The onus is on the Nets front office to bring in another big man to help out depth wise. Allen needs time to mature physically, it would be basketball malpractice to give up on him right now. He has shown enough for us to know that he has all star potential when it comes together.

Anything Allen gives us at this point is just gravy, we besicly got him on a highway robbery. Bojan was solid but he was 3 months away from being FA and most likely out the door. Those scouts that questioned his dedication as a player just damn clowns. I have no doubt he'll improve as a player In general, however we can't take no lateral moves or step backs. We need to expend our playbook and it'll be huge if Allen takes few steps forward passing and shooting wise. It's all techniques and have nothing to physical development. I have no doubt he's capable due to his high intelligence.
Rockice_24
Starter

Post#574 » by Rockice_24 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:09 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Sorry Prok but philosophy that you keep preaching ain't really what was happening on the court. We literally got obliterated by Boban, Enas3, McGee, Bropez etc. You need to rewatch those games and refresh your memory how bad it was, I mean guy been benched for limping Dudley and out of the rotation RHJ. Im not trying to exaggerate it really got ugly planty of times. I have no doubt they still believe in Allen and Kenny is all about developing each and every player to his own fault.

In no way I'm trying to say we should get rid off him or send him to the bench. Allen was very solid during this past season and him being on rookie contract it's just plain dumb not to develop him. 82 games is a lot and load management is definitely a must for most players no matter their age. My point is that we should not be surprised or deny the fact that from now on we will have to expend our playbook and talent. This FA is a golden opportunity and a lot of things looking our way. As I said, I'm looking forward to some post game and passing from vet big who can also mentor Allen for our own good.

We don't post up though so you're unlikely to ever see it. We just don't want to do that offensively even if we could.

I do agree that now is the time to expand the talent. We all have a nice soft spot for guys like Dinwiddie, RHJ, Carrol, Russell etc. but we have to strike now if we can. We can become legit players in the East with guys like Kyrie and Butler. Do we want to stick with the feel good story and fight for a bottom 4 seed each year or do we want to add winning talent and try and do some real winning?
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 658

Post#575 » by NetsJets » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:

We don't post up though so you're unlikely to ever see it. We just don't want to do that offensively even if we could.

I do agree that now is the time to expand the talent. We all have a nice soft spot for guys like Dinwiddie, RHJ, Carrol, Russell etc. but we have to strike now if we can. We can become legit players in the East with guys like Kyrie and Butler. Do we want to stick with the feel good story and fight for a bottom 4 seed each year or do we want to add winning talent and try and do some real winning?

But what’s the rush? We overachieved last season, to me it’s about continuing to build on what we’ve been doing the last 2/3 years, who says we’ll be bottom 4 seed contenders each year? We can improve as a team as the young talent get better and develop into contenders organically.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#576 » by Prokorov » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:59 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:You guys have way to much faith in Allen to become reliable player come next season. Let's not forget the fact he wasn't able to cover his man to begin with, we had our guards helping late in a season and vs 6's ( that's me being nice, guy was unplayable due to lack of strength and inability to pass or shoot ).

the point isnt that centers didnt put up big games vs allen... the point is that it didnt matter because we won more often then not despite that. Markinson WELCOMES other teams going to their center in the post all day, because they view those, over the course of 48 minutes, as wasted possesions. and the math worked out.

when you run into embiid in the playoffs its a problem... i mean look what embiid did to myles turner and kyle oquinn this year. thats the best defensive C duo in the east and maybe the league

its not an issue... allen will get bigger. and even if people here think its an issue marks/kenny 100% dont think it is
Rockice_24
Starter

Post#577 » by Rockice_24 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:In no way I'm trying to say we should get rid off him or send him to the bench. Allen was very solid during this past season and him being on rookie contract it's just plain dumb not to develop him. 82 games is a lot and load management is definitely a must for most players no matter their age. My point is that we should not be surprised or deny the fact that from now on we will have to expend our playbook and talent. This FA is a golden opportunity and a lot of things looking our way. As I said, I'm looking forward to some post game and passing from vet big who can also mentor Allen for our own good.

But what’s the rush? We overachieved last season, to me it’s about continuing to build on what we’ve been doing the last 2/3 years, who says we’ll be bottom 4 seed contenders each year? We can improve as a team as the young talent get better and develop into contenders organically.

Sure you could do that but guys are going to being getting paid soon. You can't shell out big deals and stay flexible. Sure they overachieved and we could get better but how much better? Is this core going to explode with Russell, Levert, and Allen from the 6th seed to contenders, highly unlikely. Once their rookie deals run out in a few years you are going to have Russell (27M), Harris (15M), Dinwiddie (11M), Levert (18-22M), Allen (4M last year of rookie deal with 15M cap hold coming in 2021).

By 2021-2022 all those guys will be getting paid and you won't have room for a max contract likely.

Eventually you have to go for it. It doesn't have to be this season but we likely aren't in position to land two max stars again. Getting bounced in round 1 for the next 2-3 years will get old fast and the young up and coming team goes from lovable to frustrating because they just aren't good enough to contend.

It's a fine line to walk between keeping a likable team and not contending and bringing in a talent like Kyrie and trying to contend.

The Crabbe deal signals the latter where we are likely to pursue high end talent at the expense of probably guys like RHJ and Russell.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,232

Post#578 » by Papi_swav » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Assuming Bucks Tor and Sixers keep their team together, our ceiling with Russell/Kyrie is 4th behind those teams. We have no way to deal with Giannis, Embiid, and Kawhi/Siakam.

Barring some massive leaps by Allen and Rodi at the 5/4 spots, at least...

This is why that Prince deal was important, Prince is long and agile enough to guard these guys. I'm not sure how good he is on defense now but he has those tools to give those guys some fits, except Embiid. We need a bruiser center for Embiid, a Aaron Baynes type guy. A heavy guy that Embiid can't move, Embiid didn't have the best series against a heavy set guy like Gasol. Get a cheap guy like Bogut, Pachulia, Nene, O'Quinn, Koufas.. just a guy that will be a brick wall for Embiid and Drummond, play him 15 minutes if we ever run into Embiid in the playoffs. Ed Davis did a good job on Embiid before he got injured but I don't think he's tall enough.

Ok so this is the list of bruiser centers we can sign for cheap.. I'm bringing it up again for the ppl that didn't see this. These guys can play about 15 mins on Embiid if Allen is being dominated.

Bogut
Pachulia
Nene
O'Quinn
Koufas
Ed Davis
Robin Lopez (not cheap)

Most of these guys shouldn't cost more than BAE or vets min. I like O'Quinn alot. He's tough, he can pass and rebound. Ed Davis did a good job on Embiid before he got hurt.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 658

Post#579 » by NetsJets » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:

Sure you could do that but guys are going to being getting paid soon. You can't shell out big deals and stay flexible. Sure they overachieved and we could get better but how much better? Is this core going to explode with Russell, Levert, and Allen from the 6th seed to contenders, highly unlikely. Once their rookie deals run out in a few years you are going to have Russell (27M), Harris (15M), Dinwiddie (11M), Levert (18-22M), Allen (4M last year of rookie deal with 15M cap hold coming in 2021).

By 2021-2022 all those guys will be getting paid and you won't have room for a max contract likely.

Eventually you have to go for it. It doesn't have to be this season but we likely aren't in position to land two max stars again. Getting bounced in round 1 for the next 2-3 years will get old fast and the young up and coming team goes from lovable to frustrating because they just aren't good enough to contend.

It's a fine line to walk between keeping a likable team and not contending and bringing in a talent like Kyrie and trying to contend.

The Crabbe deal signals the latter where we are likely to pursue high end talent at the expense of probably guys like RHJ and Russell.

Of course certain players might slip thru the cracks, but you rely mostly on internal improvement and filling the holes elsewhere in free agency and finding low risk high reward talent. We’re not winning a championship with Kyrie and Jimmy Butler, so might as well keep doing what we’re doing.
Rockice_24
Starter

Post#580 » by Rockice_24 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:07 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:
NetsJets wrote:

Of course certain players might slip thru the cracks, but you rely mostly on internal improvement and filling the holes elsewhere in free agency and finding low risk high reward talent. We’re not winning a championship with Kyrie and Jimmy Butler, so might as well keep doing what we’re doing.

That's fine if you want to do that it's not right or wrong but you don't trade 2 firsts to dump Crabbe if you are staying the course. That tells me we are not going slow but pushing for at least 1 max (Kyrie) and maybe even 2 if possible.

We are pushing the chips into the middle this year it's pretty clear.

Return to Brooklyn Nets