ImageImageImageImageImage

Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Re: Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox 

Post#621 » by Polk377 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:58 am

TBri1974 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I agree with Calipari .. Knicks have to be patient with Knox, I am a believer in him. He has too much tools and his physical attributes are too good for him not to succeed. I think his floor is Rudy Gay. He won't be great next year but I think by his contract year he should be a major contributer.

I think Knox and Frank are a lot better than they've shown. Let's see if they are developed this year. I really believe Frank will be a hybrid of Payton and Butler. Maybe not as good as either, but that type of trajectory. Knox does have all the tools, he just needs to improve his confidence, shot selection, and defensive work.

Knox reminds me of a Rashard Lewis clone. Just needs to fill out his body and refine his shooting. Prototype stretch 4 who can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket.

Frank is more complicated. It all depends on how much he can actually improve on the offensive end. He can be a Michael Cooper/Bruce Bowen type with just his defense.
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#622 » by TBri1974 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 am

Polk377 wrote:
TBri1974 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I agree with Calipari .. Knicks have to be patient with Knox, I am a believer in him. He has too much tools and his physical attributes are too good for him not to succeed. I think his floor is Rudy Gay. He won't be great next year but I think by his contract year he should be a major contributer.

I think Knox and Frank are a lot better than they've shown. Let's see if they are developed this year. I really believe Frank will be a hybrid of Payton and Butler. Maybe not as good as either, but that type of trajectory. Knox does have all the tools, he just needs to improve his confidence, shot selection, and defensive work.

Knox reminds me of a Rashard Lewis clone. Just needs to fill out his body and refine his shooting. Prototype stretch 4 who can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket.

Frank is more complicated. It all depends on how much he can actually improve on the offensive end. He can be a Michael Cooper/Bruce Bowen type with just his defense.

Responding to both comments, I think Frank can be better than Christie or Bowen - and Bowen was very good actually - as he facilitates better. Lewis had some very good years and scored himself a max contract, but let's hope Knox is better than that, as Lewis fell off rather abruptly. With a little muscle, Knox should be able to get to the basket at will.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,238

Post#623 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:53 pm

TBri1974 wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
TBri1974 wrote:

Responding to both comments, I think Frank can be better than Christie or Bowen - and Bowen was very good actually - as he facilitates better. Lewis had some very good years and scored himself a max contract, but let's hope Knox is better than that, as Lewis fell off rather abruptly. With a little muscle, Knox should be able to get to the basket at will.

No Christie is the better facilitator than Bowen, he ran point guard a some times and he was able to do more on the offensive end. Bowen was a legit 3 and D player, I think his defense was notch better than Christie's tho. I would be happy if Frank can equal Christie.

Knox reminds me of a Rudy Gay type, hopefully he becomes better. I don't see Rashard Lewis in Knox at all, Lewis was mostly a spot up 3 point shooter most of his career especially in Orlando. He did a little more in his Seattle days but he wasn't the type to take you off the dribble and take it to the rack much. I see KNox doing more than just shooting.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,862

Post#624 » by 8516knicks » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:20 pm

just now much do people expect Knox to improve next season? I fear a Frank -like snail pace.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,251

Post#625 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Giving up on Knox is a mistake, because if he doesn't display an improved aptitude or desire to play defense that just relegates him to becoming a bench player.

However, he has offensive talent so unless he rounds out his game on both ends of the court he could still become a scorer off the bench.

That's not what you want from the 8th pick, but I think that may be his floor which can still have some legit value on a good team.

I don't know what his ceiling is TBH and too many people are certain of his trajectory. Frankly, I think none of us know what that is so acting certain about his NBA destiny or giving up on him now is kind of ridiculous. Give him a second season before you close the book on him IMO.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#626 » by method » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:46 pm

I swear Knicks fans have no patience.This is the exact reason they say you can't rebuild in NY.

Knoxs is one of the youngest players in the NBA.RJ should of been in HS last year and re classified for college.

So if you want to go young and rebuild.Please have the patience to do so.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#627 » by NYKHardKnock » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:56 pm

method wrote:I swear Knicks fans have no patience.This is the exact reason they say you can't rebuild in NY.

Knoxs is one of the youngest players in the NBA.RJ should of been in HS last year and re classified for college.

So if you want to go young and rebuild.Please have the patience to do so.
**** THIS FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE MOTHER **** BACK

thank you for this post
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#628 » by jermsknicks » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 pm

8516knicks wrote:just now much do people expect Knox to improve next season? I fear a Frank -like snail pace.

Frank was just ok in the summer league and terrible in the regular season.

Knox was great in the summer league and should've started the season as a starter, what was up with that Fiz? I remember watching full summer league games over and over and was all in on Knox. I want to believe I will have that feeling again.

Anyway, Knox at least showed he belongs in the league. All our rookies last year actually showed they belonged in the league, it is just there job in the off-season to work toward being more consistent.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,079

Post#629 » by blueNorange » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:24 pm

summer league means nothing.

trier and mitch shouldn’t attend this summer, they have nothing to prove. they can hang.

don’t have them risk injury.

knox needs it.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#630 » by method » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:56 pm

The thing with Frank is Fiz should of giving him Muds minutes.Knowing Frank was signed for multiple years and Mud was a free agent.He should of been allowed to play thru his mistakes similar to Knox.2 years and I still don't know what we have.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,374

Post#631 » by Ray Williams » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:05 pm

This is who I think Knox can become, can’t give up on the kid. He has the skill set to be at least as good as Detlef and I’ll take that happily.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#632 » by TheProfessor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:48 am

Honestly, sometimes you can just tell. Knox just doesn't have the aptitude for the game. I honestly think he too far gone for improvement. I've never seen a Swingman with such lack of aptitude as him. He makes Zach Lavine look like a Mensa student. Actually, thats the perfect example he is a poor mans Zach Lavine, in both talent and aptitude. That's a scary thought...
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#633 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:44 am

Honestly i feel Knox struggled playing in some of fitz tank lineups.
He can be a combo forward so if he doesn't become a starter on a good Knicks team he can be valuable off the bench as a Toni kukoc type of utility player.

Yes with a rebuild , it's not like instant oatmeal.
Knox' s main weakness was finishing at the rim.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#634 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 am

As far as a defense,
Some picks spend their off-season getting ready for the draft or a particular skill set to boost value.
Now he can focus on team specific development.
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,628

Post#635 » by Buttah304 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:48 pm

When it comes to offense, I have no doubt in my mind that Knox can turn into a 40% 3 PT shooter going something like 2.5/6.3 from deep this coming year. Having said that he really needs to get stronger around the paint and control his body mid-air. Often times he was throwing up some reckless **** (dare I say eerily similar to Lance at times). He was the 2nd youngest player in the NBA so I wasn't expecting a D-Wade like ability at the rim. All I mean to say is that when he gets to the paint he needs better awareness and how to use his body better. A little pump fake to get to the FT wouldn't hurt either. At the end of the day I want to see him finishing more and not always settling for the floater.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#636 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:43 pm

TheProfessor wrote:Honestly, sometimes you can just tell. Knox just doesn't have the aptitude for the game. I honestly think he too far gone for improvement. I've never seen a Swingman with such lack of aptitude as him. He makes Zach Lavine look like a Mensa student. Actually, thats the perfect example he is a poor mans Zach Lavine, in both talent and aptitude. That's a scary thought...

A few things:
Knox is only 19 and younger than the vast majority of kids in tomorrow's draft.
19 year olds can improve in all facets, you know this right?
It often takes a few years for the game to slow down.
He is still really young and still learning, still growing and still improving.
He was fed to wolves and had some good games in probably the toughest market in bball.
Patience is needed - not every player comes in to the league like a seasoned vet vying for POY honors.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#637 » by TBri1974 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Ray Williams wrote:

This is who I think Knox can become, can’t give up on the kid. He has the skill set to be at least as good as Detlef and I’ll take that happily.

Wow, I don't see any Detlef in Knox. Detlef had a more developed offensive game, but less athleticism. I see Doncic as Turbo Detlef more than I see Knox in that light. Interesting comparison.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#638 » by blanko » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:28 am

TBri1974 wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:

Wow, I don't see any Detlef in Knox. Detlef had a more developed offensive game, but less athleticism. I see Doncic as Turbo Detlef more than I see Knox in that light. Interesting comparison.
Doncic is a turbo kucoc.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
blanko
Starter

Post#639 » by blanko » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:30 am

TheProfessor wrote:Honestly, sometimes you can just tell. Knox just doesn't have the aptitude for the game. I honestly think he too far gone for improvement. I've never seen a Swingman with such lack of aptitude as him. He makes Zach Lavine look like a Mensa student. Actually, thats the perfect example he is a poor mans Zach Lavine, in both talent and aptitude. That's a scary thought...
Or maybe irs because he just became a basketball player at 15/16 and havent played organized ball for long. Add to that he was thrown into the nba at a young age.

blanko
Starter

Post#640 » by blanko » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:33 am

8516knicks wrote:just now much do people expect Knox to improve next season? I fear a Frank -like snail pace.
No because knox has shown improment in his willingness to take contact and take it to the rim as the season went on.

Return to New York Knicks