ImageImage

How do you rate the Hawks Draft and who was your favorite pick?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

hawkster411
Ballboy
And1: 7

Re: How do you rate the Hawks Draft and who was your favorite pick? 

Post#21 » by hawkster411 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Schlenk on draft day is my Super Bowl. I’m brining nachos and hot dogs. TS is a mastermind
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:58 pm

Hunter and Reddish are both from the Philadelphia area and played against each other in high school. They know each other a bit, but what's more interesting is how they should get along with the rest of the roster. Next to Young, Huerter and emerging big man John Collins, Atlanta doesn't just have arguably the most League Pass-friendly young core in the league, it has five players under 22 years old who fit together. Do not expect coach Lloyd Pierce to make this unit his starting lineup, but do not be surprised if he throws them all out there at some point.
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:01 pm

NBA Team Draft Grades

Atlanta Hawks – I considered an A+ for the Hawks, who moved up to the No. 4 pick to get SF De’Andre Hunter, and then followed that up with Duke F Cam Reddish and added PF Bruno Fernando. I guess it all comes down to how Reddish works out, but there’s a very good chance he is much better than he was at Duke last year. Either way, the Hawks’ young nucleus of Trae Young, John Collins, Hunter, Reddish and Kevin Huerter is pretty dang exciting.

Grade: A
Rotoworld/Yahoo Sports
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#24 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:03 pm

Any draft with Cam Reddish was getting an A+ as he was the #2 player on my Hawks big board. To add Hunter who was #3 and Bruno who I was open to at #17 is unreal. Travis is the GOAT
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:25 pm

The NBA draft's biggest first-round winners and losers

Winners

Atlanta Hawks

Mike Schmitz: I absolutely love what Atlanta is building, moving up to add De'Andre Hunter with the No. 4 pick and then snagging Cam Reddish at No. 10.

Hunter is the perfect fit alongside Trae Young, Kevin Huerter and John Collins, as he can play either forward spot, defend four positions and space the floor. He doesn't need much offensive volume to be effective.

And getting Reddish -- a top-five talent coming into the season -- with the No. 10 pick is great value. Coming in with lower expectations allows Reddish to focus on knocking down open 3-pointers in transition, defending his position and developing his shot-creation ability at his own pace. After he struggled in high-pressure situations last season, the stress of living up to lofty Paul George comparisons is now off for Reddish, who can grow alongside a young group while rounding out his game.

The Hawks will be must-see TV next season.
ESPN Insider
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#26 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Obvious D

Mismanaged assets, got solid players but nobody that will really change the franchise, still have no real legit 2ndary guy

The Hunter trade was atrociously bad, massive overpay, and trading solid 40s picks for future fake 2nds and cash was bad too

Schlenk really is Jon Gruden-ish
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:15 pm

Fischella wrote:Obvious D

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#28 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Image

Yeah he's punking us, maybe?

Watch, he'll come back and say we shoulda drafted Bol. He's a steal!

:roll:
king01 :king:
No-Man
RealGM

Post#29 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Same as Gruden he just wants his guys and doesn't care about how he manages his assets, just goes and gets them regardless of how much of an overpay

Falling in love with prospects it's not the way to do this
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Mark Bradley wrote:The moving Hawks make a wild draft go right

Credit Travis Schlenk for wrangling a lottery gone wrong and making it go right. The Hawks cobbled together enough not-prime assets to gain access to the first pick outside the top three, which was as high as they could reasonably hope to get. They took what might have been Jaxson Hayes and turned him into De’Andre Hunter. That’s an overall win.

Still at issue is whether it’s a windfall. Hunter might not have been the fourth-best player in this draft. He might be the better fit here, though, given the Hawks’ newly won status as the NBA’s worst defensive team. [Hunter’s] a good defender who became a scorer as a redshirt sophomore at Virginia.

On a weird night, this was maybe the weirdest thing: The Hawks got a more gifted player at No. 10 than at No. 4. Hunter has a high floor, Cam Reddish a high ceiling. The Hawks landed the kind of player they lacked, meaning a defender, and added to their growing mix of shooters.

The Hawks aren’t close enough to a finished product to think only in terms of immediate impact. Hunter will play more than Reddish next season. Hunter could start. Reddish might not make the rotation. But three years on, Reddish might seem the bigger deal. If he gets serious, he could be big-time. If not, he’ll be remembered – if he’s remembered at all – as a lottery dud.
AJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Grading the 2019 NBA Draft

Here’s our assessment on each first-round pick of this year’s draft

4. Atlanta Hawks (from L.A. Lakers via New Orleans): De’Andre Hunter, F, Virginia

The Hawks move around the draft more than almost any team in the league. Hunter fits well as a 3-and-D swingman next to their young core of Young, Kevin Huerter, and John Collins. Atlanta needs players who can defend on the perimeter to protect Young, and Hunter and Huerter give them one of the biggest pairs of wings in the NBA. Hunter, the hero of the NCAA national championship game, is one of the safer picks in the lottery because he can contribute immediately on both ends of the floor.

Grade: B

10. Atlanta Hawks: Cam Reddish, F, Duke

The Hawks end up getting the two 3-and-D wings—Reddish and Hunter—that they reportedly targeted before the draft. Reddish is one of the most interesting picks in the lottery. He was considered as good of a prospect as Zion and Barrett coming into the season, but he struggled as a third option and slipped to no. 10 overall. Talent is not the issue for Reddish. He has great size for a perimeter player (6-foot-8, 208 pounds) and one of the best-looking 3-point shots in the draft. He just didn’t make 3s all that often at Duke (33.3 percent on 7.4 attempts per game). The Hawks are gambling that playing with a passer like Trae Young should make his life a lot easier. If he clicks with Young, he could end up as the steal of the draft.

Grade: A
The Ringer
New_Hawks_Era
Junior
And1: 233

Post#32 » by New_Hawks_Era » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:58 pm

I can't complain anywhere, this draft was as solid as an A as it could get. I love what the Hawks are starting to look like. I think the Hawks have a chance at the playoffs next year actually.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 pm

New_Hawks_Era wrote:I can't complain anywhere, this draft was as solid as an A as it could get. I love what the Hawks are starting to look like. I think the Hawks have a chance at the playoffs next year actually.

Last year, I was initially surprised, alarmed and annoyed by trading away Doncic for Young.

But i LOVED the pairing of Trae AND Huerter in the same backcourt.

I have a similar vibe this year. I am lukewarm on the Hunter pick. But I LOVE the pairing of Hunter and Reddish (plus Huerter) on the wings.

It's great team building. Filling in positions of need by players that fit with skills that we covet.

And Bruno in the 2nd round is a steal!
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#34 » by saloonyk8 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Mismanaged assets, got solid players but nobody that will really change the franchise, still have no real legit 2ndary guy

The Hunter trade was atrociously bad, massive overpay, and trading solid 40s picks for future fake 2nds and cash was bad too

What would you have drafted at 17 in the middle of the first round of an underwhelming draft?

Why shouldn't a GM go after players they think will be good? This is basketball not football having 5 second round picks doesn't do much to get star talent
Commit to the process
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#35 » by fuzzy1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Apparently I'm the biggest Hunter fan there is, but I don't get this "safe" talk. Yea, he's safe because he's GOOD. The idea that Reddish has this mythically higher upside than him is crazy man, and I'm fine picking Reddish because 3&D wings are valuable. What does Reddish do better? Get born two years later? Get pushed off his position because he lacks strength better?

Hunter is gonna be a straight baller for us and I can't wait to see him slide down and play the 4 and maybe even the 5 for us at times. He put up his stats in the SNAILS PACE UVA offense. Happy with Reddish, too, I just have no idea why Hunter is considered this low ceiling prospect.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#36 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:

What would you have drafted at 17 in the middle of the first round of an underwhelming draft?

Why shouldn't a GM go after players they think will be good? This is basketball not football having 5 second round picks doesn't do much to get star talent

You gave up 8th, 17th, and what likely becomes 3 2nd round picks for 4th and 57th, then actually traded up using 57th and more 2nds (after having traded out of 41st and 44th for cash and one real 2nd, and one fake 2nd from Miami)

Ah, you also ate Hill's contract which easily should net a 1st round pick in terms of value

All that for Hunter and Fernando

If you don't think that is a massive overpay you must think Hunter is Kawhi Leonard and Fernando... Serge Ibaka, or something along those lines
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:42 pm

fuzzy1 wrote:Apparently I'm the biggest Hunter fan there is, but I don't get this "safe" talk. What does Reddish do better? Get born two years later? Get pushed off his position because he lacks strength better?

Hunter is gonna be a straight baller for us and I can't wait to see him slide down and play the 4 and maybe even the 5 for us at times. He put up his stats in the SNAILS PACE UVA offense. Happy with Reddish, too, I just have no idea why Hunter is considered this low ceiling prospect.

:laugh:

I think we have found the next great debate on this board. (Solid, consistent, all around play vs occasional brilliance with spotty effort)

I look forward to watching it play out over the next half decade.

D Hunter = Horford circa 2010
C Reddish = Josh Smith circa 2007
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Fischella wrote:You gave up 8th, 17th, and what likely becomes 3 2nd round picks for 4th and 57th, then actually traded up using 57th and more 2nds (after having traded out of 41st and 44th for cash and one real 2nd, and one fake 2nd from Miami)

If you don't think that is a massive overpay you must think Hunter is Kawhi Leonard and Fernando... Serge Ibaka, or something along those lines

Time will tell, man.

Make sure you stick around as it all plays out.

Your voice is missed in these parts.
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#39 » by saloonyk8 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:09 pm

Fischella wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:

You gave up 8th, 17th, and what likely becomes 3 2nd round picks for 4th and 57th, then actually traded up using 57th and more 2nds (after having traded out of 41st and 44th for cash and one real 2nd, and one fake 2nd from Miami)

Ah, you also ate Hill's contract which easily should net a 1st round pick in terms of value

All that for Hunter and Fernando

What Hunter and Reddish become has nothing to do with trade value. Its a totally different discussion.

What team received a first round pick for taking on one expiring contract? Nothing recently comes to mind, Hill isn't some terrible deal that will never go away.

You're still telling me we traded a 17 and a bunch of 2nd round picks to move around and get players we wanted. To me that's not overpay at all. What were the chances of a missing star at 17? I really don't see anyone. The "upside" players that were discussed ended up as second rounders like Bruno and Bol and we ended up getting one anyone. This isn't the NFL we don't need depth we need to hit on the right players.

Also it's not lost on me that Zion was best player in the draft and we weren't going to get him. I don't see how you could have a more successful draft than this given the hand that you were dealt.
Commit to the process
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Winners and losers of the 2019 NBA Draft

Winners

Atlanta Hawks

League Pass All-Stars. Adding De’Andre Hunter (No. 4 pick from New Orleans via Los Angeles via crazy lottery luck) and Cam Reddish (No. 10 via Dallas for Luka Doncic), the Hawks figure to be an exciting young squad that will be fascinating to watch next season.

With Trae Young and John Collins’ defensive limitations, I love that they targeted Hunter with the No. 4 pick. He may not have the box score stats of a defensive stalwart, but Hunter played in a Virginia defense that suppresses blocks and steals. The Hawks weren’t going to let another Malcolm Brogdon slip from their fingers with two of the best offensive young players in the NBA in Young and Collins. Reddish is a question mark, but at No. 10, that’s a worthy spot for his upside.
NBC Boston

D Hunter as the Malcolm Brogdon of SFs?

I can dig that.

Return to Atlanta Hawks