2019 NBA Draft Prep Part 2

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Prep Part 2 

Post#341 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:16 pm

kg01 wrote:C'mon man. When it matters, NBA defenses are able to choke off any offense that's predicated on having to constantly get to the rim. Not even Lebron can consistently succeed off that. I'm not giving Lonzo/Jrue/etc. the benefit of the doubt that they can do it.

It is crazy that 4 of their best 5 players can't shoot a lick outside of 18 feet.

Lonzo - Jrue - Zion - Jaxson.

Those four can never all share the floor in a tight game. They'd dominate defensively. But would accomplish NOTHING in a half court offense.

(You can only throw so many lobs.)

If I share a division with that squad...I'd sign Tacko Fall to a 10 year contract to only play goalie against the Pels.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#342 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:C'mon man. When it matters, NBA defenses are able to choke off any offense that's predicated on having to constantly get to the rim. Not even Lebron can consistently succeed off that. I'm not giving Lonzo/Jrue/etc. the benefit of the doubt that they can do it.

It is crazy that 4 of their best 5 players can't shoot a lick outside of 18 feet.

Lonzo - Jrue - Zion - Jaxson.

Those four can never all share the floor in a tight game. They'd dominate defensively. But would accomplish NOTHING in a half court offense.

(You can only throw so many lobs.)

If I share a division with that squad...I'd sign Tacko Fall to a 10 year contract to only play goalie against the Pels.

Yup. And let's not even speak of free throw shooting. Hack-a-PeliCan'ts all day long.

Folks are touting Griffin for what he's doing. kg's not.
king01 :king:
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#343 » by Hazer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:35 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think Bruno will get alot of minutes as a rookie, but I still think we will see alot of small ball line up next year...

C: Collins
PF: Hunter
SF: Huerter
SG: Cam
PG: Trae

Flip Huerter and Reddish and you are correct, we’ll probably see plenty of that smallball lineup this season.
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
Hazer
Pro Prospect

Post#344 » by Hazer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Years80HAWKS wrote:So, given the facts that we have selected two centers and a small forward, do you think we are trying to get rid of Dedmon?
Or is this just a selection based on quality and that also allows us to have a power position when negotiating with Dedmon's agent?

I believe we could let Dedmon walk (he's been good here -good, not great).

Trae
Bazemore-Bembry-Mr. Carter
Crabbe-Reddish
Collins-Spellman
Len-Hunter-Fernando

In a year we are getting rid of Crabbe, Bazemore and Plumlee. We will not have the need to transform any rookie contract into a veteran's contract. So I do not know what we are going to do with so much cap space.
There will not be enough players available.

Vince and Hunter are both SF/PF
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#345 » by Radioblacktive1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:48 pm

I understand you can’t please everybody but I cannot see why anyone would be unhappy with our draft results. You got two pretty much sure fire players in Fernando and Hunter, whose “low” ceiling is higher than many’s but his hair is already grazing it which is a great thing. Then you got Cam, the definition of high-risk, high-reward. If he does reach his T-Mac/George/Baby KD potential, I want him to be in a Hawks uniform when he does it. But if he doesn’t pan out, what do we really lose? You got a high risk in Cam and a giant safety net in Hunter. Looking at the final draft results, I’m curious as to who people realistically would have rather drafted. If you say Bol I won’t be able to take you seriously.

This feels like Trae all over again, and we saw how that turned out.
Hazer
Pro Prospect

Post#346 » by Hazer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:I understand you can’t please everybody but I cannot see why anyone would be unhappy with our draft results. You got two pretty much sure fire players in Fernando and Hunter, whose “low” ceiling is higher than many’s but his hair is already grazing it which is a great thing. Then you got Cam, the definition of high-risk, high-reward. If he does reach his T-Mac/George/Baby KD potential, I want him to be in a Hawks uniform when he does it. But if he doesn’t pan out, what do we really lose? You got a high risk in Cam and a giant safety net in Hunter. Looking at the final draft results, I’m curious as to who people realistically would have rather drafted. If you say Bol I won’t be able to take you seriously.

I haven’t read back through the last several pages of this thread, but posters are complaining about this draft? Good God Mon, Schlank just delivered a home run, again. Would’ve loved somehow getting Doom-BOOyah, but definitely an “A” draft.
kg01
General Manager

Post#347 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:56 pm

Hazer wrote:
Radioblacktive1 wrote:I understand you can’t please everybody but I cannot see why anyone would be unhappy with our draft results. You got two pretty much sure fire players in Fernando and Hunter, whose “low” ceiling is higher than many’s but his hair is already grazing it which is a great thing. Then you got Cam, the definition of high-risk, high-reward. If he does reach his T-Mac/George/Baby KD potential, I want him to be in a Hawks uniform when he does it. But if he doesn’t pan out, what do we really lose? You got a high risk in Cam and a giant safety net in Hunter. Looking at the final draft results, I’m curious as to who people realistically would have rather drafted. If you say Bol I won’t be able to take you seriously.

I haven’t read back through the last several pages of this thread, but posters are complaining about this draft? Good God Mon, Schlank just delivered a home run, again. Would’ve loved somehow getting Doom-BOOyah, but definitely an “A” draft.

Not posters, poster. Just one misguided soul.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#348 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:I’m curious as to who people realistically would have rather drafted. If you say Bol I won’t be able to take you seriously.

No taking shots at Bol Bol today...he's had a rough few months.

(And his agent, stylist, tailor, advisors should all be fired.)

Spoiler:
If Slenderman had a love child: Bol Bols NBA Draft suit gives internet the creeps

Giant NBA pick Bol Bol, 19, has caused reverberations across the world wide web for the spider-themed outfit he wore for the 2019 Draft, which was held in Brooklyn, New York on Thursday night.

One of the top prospects of the 2019 Draft, Bol Bol – who stands a towering 7ft 2in tall – showed up at the Barclays Center wearing a spider web suit, capturing plenty of public attention for his fashion choice.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#349 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Whoever invited Bol Bol to the green room at the draft should be fired.

Eggsactly right. At the same time, Bol's camp knew they were dropping. Probably should've made an executive decision to refuse the invitation.

I felt for him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#350 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Watch Grant Williams’ emotional reaction to finding out he was No. 22 pick

Read on Twitter

Few things are more satisfying than watching the moment a player discovers that all of his hard work and dedication has paid off, and he is going to become a pro.
MassLive.com
jayu70
RealGM

Post#351 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:But how about IND adding Goga to Turner and Sabonis when they had some clear other needs? Yikes.

And how about a certain team, presumably, putting Ball, Zion and that Hayes kid in the same starting lineup? The shooting ... the horror. Rims everywhere are bracing for impact.

tHESE ARE GOOD POINTS.

I expect Lonzo to be traded in the future. NOP was just collecting assets at this point. Clearly not worrying about fit.

Indy...they'll have some decisions to make sooner than later.

V Oladipo had to be all like:

Indy's draft was puzzling, the Suns were Sunning.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#352 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:22 pm

jayu70 wrote:Indy's draft was puzzling, the Suns were Sunning.

Man...the Suns moves were so bad.

Like...DAMN!!!

They passed on Jalen brunson last year.

Coby White This year.

Then drafted a guy most had coming off the board in the early 20s...at #11.

Just, so awful.
I actually do feel bad for there fanbase.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#353 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Years80HAWKS wrote:So, given the facts that we have selected two centers and a small forward, do you think we are trying to get rid of Dedmon?
Or is this just a selection based on quality and that also allows us to have a power position when negotiating with Dedmon's agent?

I believe we could let Dedmon walk (he's been good here -good, not great).

Trae
Bazemore-Bembry-Mr. Carter
Crabbe-Reddish
Collins-Spellman
Len-Hunter :nonono: -Fernando

In a year we are getting rid of Crabbe, Bazemore and Plumlee. We will not have the need to transform any rookie contract into a veteran's contract. So I do not know what we are going to do with so much cap space.
There will not be enough players available.

Say...what? We drafted 2 Centers?????
Hunter is a 6'-7" SF. We drafted 2 wings, 1 center.
Hawks want Dedmon back (as do I) but he may be looking for a ready made playoff team if the money is right.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#354 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Like...DAMN!!!

Coby White This year.

Just, so awful.

Schlenk mentioned the Suns pick at #11 on radio this morning in the context of his teammates reaction hearing he went #11. When your boy surprised you went that high.....well......

Suns have been terribad at drafting....Len, Bender, Chriss, Jackson.....it keeps going on and on and on

Bigs require at least adequate PG play to maximize their potential. Ayton will have a wasted career!
kg01
General Manager

Post#355 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Like...DAMN!!!

Coby White This year.

Just, so awful.

I guess IND is setting themselves up to be able to trade Sabonis? Maybe?

Suns draft just further underscores the fact that James Jones and co are in over their heads. Johnson at 11? oof.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#356 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:35 pm

5 Biggest Steals of the 2019 NBA Draft

1. Goga Bitadze, Center, 17th pick (IND)

2. Mfiondu Kabengele, Center, 27th overall (LAC)

3. Keldon Johnson, Small Forward, 29th overall (SAS)

4. Talen Horton-Tucker, Small Forward, 46th overall (LAL)

5. Tremont Waters, Point Guard, 51st overall (BOS)
12up
jayu70
RealGM

Post#357 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:40 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Like...DAMN!!!

Coby White This year.

Just, so awful.

Suns draft just further underscores the fact that James Jones and co are in over their heads. Johnson at 11? oof.

Before the draft, there was a rumor Indy was trying to get to 10, Turner to NOP, 4 to us, Hawks also asked for Aaron Holiday from Indy. Failed.
kg01
General Manager

Post#358 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:44 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Like...DAMN!!!

Coby White This year.

Just, so awful.

Before the draft, there was a rumor Indy was trying to get to 10, Turner to NOP, 4 to us, Hawks also asked for Aaron Holiday from Indy. Failed.

Interesting. Been seeing Turner trade rumors for a while. Curious considering Sabonis is solid but Turner has become a DPOY candidate (almost).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#359 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:48 pm

kg01 wrote:Interesting. Been seeing Turner trade rumors for a while. Curious considering Sabonis is solid but Turner has become a DPOY candidate (almost).

Reeeeeeeel interesting. Myles Turner is the kind of big man (rim defending, three-point shooter) that fits best next to Collins, too.
In theory, anyway.
Shooter Says
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#360 » by Shooter Says » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Virginia vs Duke from this past year on ESPNU right now... Looks like they have Duke games going all night.

Return to Atlanta Hawks